PDA

View Full Version : Which case trimmer are you using?

Averageman
07-17-16, 09:50
I'm sitting my manual case trimmer aside for a moment to do several thousand rounds of 5.56. I like my Hornady case trimmer but I need a a motorized version for something like this.
So what are you using, what's the best and most reliable and accurate?

Ryno12
07-17-16, 10:25
I absolutely hate doing any part of case prep manually so I ended up buying a Hornady Lock n Load Case Prep Station (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/314017/hornady-lock-n-load-case-prep-center-110-volt) for high volume case prep.

I was also looking at getting a Giraud trimmer (http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm) because I heard a lot of positive reviews but I really wanted an "all-in-one" unit so I bought the Hornady instead.

Colt guy
07-17-16, 10:48
For 5.56 I use Worlds Finest Trimmer https://littlecrowgunworks.com/product/worlds-finest-trimmer-wft/?v=7516fd43adaa

I use a motorized version of the RCBS for everything else.

HKGuns
07-17-16, 10:52
This was taken before I figured out to use it vertically. There is literally no better trimmer on the market.

https://youtu.be/FM1P3EZJ_-8

davidz71
07-17-16, 11:00
I couldn't afford the Giraud so I went with the Gracey Power Trimmer www.matchprep.com

Averageman
07-17-16, 11:00
The Giraud is looking very good at this point.

markm
07-17-16, 14:51
The Giraud is looking very good at this point.

Worth it. I wish I'd have set mine up (in the beginning) to cut .005" longer than spec. Cutting mil brass back to spec takes too long. And the extra case length is not problematic, and helps increase surface contact with the bullets... which theoretically increases neck tension consistency... and accuracy.

wilson1911
07-17-16, 16:03
If you are loading precision rifle, most any hand or power attachment trimmer will work. If you are doing anything high volume, or want ease of use the Giraud trimmer is one of the best purchases you will ever make.

You can buy a hand/power trimmer, but then you will want the rcbs cleaning station also to chamfer with. While it does have its merits, you will find that the giraud trims/chamfers at the same time to be much more valuable. If you have the funds, Giraud is the top trimmer made. Reloading without it....kind of sucks. You will only go over your buddy's house to help him reload once without it.....then you will be dragging it along with you.

Reloading several thousand at a time makes the choice for you. When you call, his wife will answer the phone. She is always very nice and helpful. Order 3 extra cutter blades, its cheaper in the long run. They last a very long time also.

williejc
07-17-16, 16:11
Forgive me for not answering your question as asked, but I do have a suggestion. Some brass places will process brass for you for a small fee. Being old and lazy, that would suit me. If you are interested in this approach, pm me for a couple places.

Scoby
07-17-16, 17:21
Little Crow Case Trimmer. Saves a hell of a lot of time and does a very consistent job.

oldandslow
07-17-16, 17:54
ag,

Another Giraud fan here. After doing my first 2000 cases manually I decided there has to be a better way. I finally picked the Giraud and the next 6000 cases were easy. By hand I could do a hundred cases an hour not including neck inside and outside reaming. With the Giraud I can do a hundred cases in under ten minutes and at the same time it reams and chamfers the neck. It takes about 1-2 seconds per case.

The Giraud is expensive but is one of my most valuable reloading decisions.

best wishes- oldandslow

Vegas
07-22-16, 02:45
Little Crow Case Trimmer. Saves a hell of a lot of time and does a very consistent job.

That's my experience. I use one for 223 and another for 308. I have a manual RCBS but it's torture to use imo.

Kansaswoodguy
07-22-16, 08:55
I use these cheap lee's this link is to half the required parts needed to make them work the other half is only about $6 also. I prefer them because the case spins making cleaning cases with 0000 steel wool easy at the range for load development.
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/case-trimming/trimmer-case-holders/lee-length-gauge-shellholder-357-mag-sku100010032-54160-103368.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-Case%20Length%20Gauges&gdffi=08de76408978434b83b40ee6631fc110&gdfms=D9CD4E76E1034869BC0B4C7C31D204D5

Ryno12
07-22-16, 09:25
I use these cheap lee's this link is to half the required parts needed to make them work the other half is only about $6 also. I prefer them because the case spins making cleaning cases with 0000 steel wool easy at the range for load development.
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/case-trimming/trimmer-case-holders/lee-length-gauge-shellholder-357-mag-sku100010032-54160-103368.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-Case%20Length%20Gauges&gdffi=08de76408978434b83b40ee6631fc110&gdfms=D9CD4E76E1034869BC0B4C7C31D204D5

The OP has a manual case trimmer. He's looking for something powered as he has "several thousand" cases to trim.

I also own the trimmer you linked to. So unless you're only trimming a handful of cases, it absolutely sucks for anything of any sizable quantity.

bullittmcqueen
07-22-16, 09:38
The correct answer to the OP question is the Giraud.

Eurodriver
07-22-16, 12:32
I use an LE Wilson case trimmer.

It takes a *long* time, but each case is always, without fail, exactly the same length to the thousandth.

I would like a Giraud, but I am poor.

bruin
07-22-16, 13:20
Giraud Tri Way for the win. It's basically the Giraud cutter head, and you supply your own motor (drill press, hand drill, etc.). Under $100 for a Giraud trim.

The only other similar unit that also deburrs and chamfers is the Trim-it II, which is more expensive and has some meh reviews. It's cheaper if you need to trim multiple calibers. But it's no Giraud...

jbdesigns
07-22-16, 16:10
I use the WFT and I think it is only bested by the giraud. I would by the tri way and use my drill press just as I do with the WFT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
07-22-16, 17:47
I use an LE Wilson case trimmer.

It takes a *long* time, but each case is always, without fail, exactly the same length to the thousandth.

That's because the LE Wilson indexes off the case head. You're a glutton for punishment. I have the LE Wilson for .308 and 300 WM, and I almost never trim that stuff anymore. Too painful.

I would like a Giraud, but I am poor.

The Giraud is a classic buy once, cry once purchase. It's trim consistency is very good, but it indexes off the shoulder, and thus is only as good as the reloader's sizing/brass spring back variances. Annealing would make the Giraud almost as good as the LE Wilson, but for 5.56, it's not worth it for me.

Kansaswoodguy
07-22-16, 20:41
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud

These are the other parts required to make the cheap lee trimmer a power trimmer that I use with a cordless drill. I trim and chamfer many thousands of cases a year with it. Many of the other manufactures products are great for doing large volumes of cases also. I like this Lee trimmer because the brass is spinning not cutter this makes cleaning a few cases ocationally very easy also.

Averageman
07-22-16, 21:15
I considered going with one of the less expensive models that require a drill to operate, but honestly I would end up taking the drill apart and putting it in a box and re wiring the whole mess and the figuring out a way to keep the chips....
You see where this is going?
I will but the Giraurd next month.

EXTREME WAYS
07-22-16, 21:19
I picked up a Giraud in January (the $100.00 unit). Going to this from a hand rotary trimmer is like going from a muzzleloader to full auto

Machined a shaft extension to adapt it to an electric motor and never thought twice about the $$$.

jbdesigns
07-22-16, 21:31
what is the life of the cutter head in the giraud? does it last like, forever? or does it need replacing?

also, how well does it do the chamfer on the inside and outside of the neck? as i said, i currently use the WFT and then chamfer the neck with lyman VLD bit as well as the outside chamfer tool. but i do that and can control the amount of chamfer i want with just a bit of practice. if the giraud does it perfect each time without needing skill, and the tool lasts a long time, i will buy one.

dpete
07-22-16, 22:22
I've used a Trim It II for over a year now with .223, .308, 300 blackout, and soon 6.5 Grendel. It chucks into a table top drill press laid on its side and indexes off the case shoulder. I can get +/- .001" out of it. It trims, chamfers, and deburrs in one step.

wilson1911
07-22-16, 22:37
The cutters actually last a very long time. I would say years if you are just trimming them back to a set length. You can also turn each "cutter head" 3 times since it is like a triangle with the corners notched like a "V". This is where it chamfers and cuts. When you change out cutter heads, it does take a few cases to get the chamfer correct, but not hard. I use mine to convert cases also, which requires removing much more material then just a normal trim. This causes more wear on the blade than normal. I have extra blades for this reason.

I have the lyman case prep center also. The giraud is hands down better. I would still get an extra cutter or two. 1 cutter is actually 3 cutting heads. If you order those at a different time it will cost you more with shipping in the end. I like spares. The only thing to master is using the same twist/push down with every case.

I shoot 100-200 rounds per week and trim every time. Even if they do not trim(less than 1 thou) it will still chamfer the case.

fedupflyer
07-23-16, 09:33
Currently using the Guirad Tri Way Trimmer.
While it is a great trimmer and I just not into the whole pencil sharpner thing.
Recently picked up a Dillon 650, so it looks like I will be giving their press mounted trimmer a whirl and not to mention it is easier on my hands.

bigedp51
07-23-16, 10:40
Real men do it manually, and fight back the pain.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/Leetrimmer_zpsc2d6c83a.jpg

Then after your fingers stop bleeding and healed enough to type you order a powered trimmer.

If you order the powered trimmer first you will save the Doctors office co-pay and can put it toward the WFT or Guirad.

The above message is brought to you by the "Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Fingers".

opngrnd
07-23-16, 20:25
I
Real men do it manually, and fight back the pain.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/Leetrimmer_zpsc2d6c83a.jpg

Then after your fingers stop bleeding and healed enough to type you order a powered trimmer.

If you order the powered trimmer first you will save the Doctors office co-pay and can put it toward the WFT or Guirad.

The above message is brought to you by the "Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Fingers".

^This is great!

Seriously, though. I used my RCBS power trimmer to trim 800ish pieces of 223 brass during the winter of 2014, and for all the mess in my cramped reloading area, wasn't too unhappy with it. But I still had to deburr and chamfer by hand, and that was horribly unpleasant to my hands in the long haul. I'll be going for the Guirad after the election when all the reloading supplies have dried up. I hated the trimming/deburring/chamfering process so bad that I have trimmed 10 cases since for reference, and everything else that has had to be trimmed has been set aside as I process brass.

Malig8r
07-28-16, 21:32
I have to agree with the buy once cry once in this case. Read a lot of posts regarding different trimmers and invariably the Giruad trimmer was highly praised by most everyone even considering the price. Got it...love it!!!

SWThomas
07-30-16, 13:26
If you have a Dillon press the Dillon power trimmer is great. Size and trim with one stroke.

markm
08-01-16, 11:41
If you have a Dillon press the Dillon power trimmer is great. Size and trim with one stroke.

If the Giraud was set up like the Dillon, where you sized in the same step, it would almost be criminal how easy it would be.

Kaiser Mike
09-09-16, 21:51
Still in the dark ages. Still using my old RCBS Trim Pro manual trimmer.

It still works. Just like my Rock Chucker from 30 years ago.

smihtp
09-12-16, 13:08
Same trim principal as the Giruad at a fraction of the price, Frankford Arsenal Platinum Case trim and Prep. center.
Love it...

MWAG19919
09-12-16, 14:02
I use a Forster case trimmer. Old school, hand turned setup. I don't particularly enjoy trimming, but I just have the laptop playing something on Netflix while I go at it.

Levinz11
09-12-16, 14:39
Lee Quick Trim for me. It works pretty damn well for my 2-300 rounds per month.

mic2377
09-13-16, 07:55
I have a Herters, it is actually a really old Forster. It is slow but accurate. I chamfer with a Lyman bit in a power screwdriver, saves the fingers.

I plan to get a WFT and see how it works.

opngrnd
09-13-16, 16:37
I've been using the Tri-Way trimmer for a few weeks now. Makes trimming a snap, and I'm about as happy as can be with it.

HKGuns
09-13-16, 18:29
I have to agree with the buy once cry once in this case. Read a lot of posts regarding different trimmers and invariably the Giruad trimmer was highly praised by most everyone even considering the price. Got it...love it!!!

Far and away the best money I have spent on reloading since I started loading rifle rounds. Nothing else is even a close second.

Ttwwaack
10-02-16, 19:31
Biged51 - While your still trimming, I've loaded and shot mine and cleaning the brass again. Giraud for the past 15 years in 223 and 308. If I was a one caliber show, I'd look into the little dealy you hooh up in a drill. Life's to short, start paying yourself min wage to trim and when you save enough, get a high speed trimmer. I still use a hand powered trimmer though for bolt rifles, just alittle anneal.

bigedp51
10-02-16, 21:27
Biged51 - While your still trimming, I've loaded and shot mine and cleaning the brass again. Giraud for the past 15 years in 223 and 308. If I was a one caliber show, I'd look into the little dealy you hooh up in a drill. Life's to short, start paying yourself min wage to trim and when you save enough, get a high speed trimmer. I still use a hand powered trimmer though for bolt rifles, just alittle anneal.

Actually I use a WFT and some people don't understand my warped sense of GI humor.

hotrodder636
10-23-16, 21:28
I have been in the market for a trimmer. I was looking at the Hornady case prep center, but this Giraud seems pretty legit.