PDA

View Full Version : Questions on leaving a firearm in a locked vehicle

MAUSER202
07-17-16, 19:18
Many people cant CCW at work but could leave a weapon in a locked vehicle, say in a security lock box in a console. What effect does temperature have on the ammo? I have read temps in a car on a hot day could reach 170 degree or more. Not even sure its a possibility but could a round go off due to the temp?

Outlander Systems
07-17-16, 19:50
Leave the windows cracked and you'll be fine. Replace the carry ammo annually if unused.

wildcard600
07-17-16, 19:59
Many people cant CCW at work but could leave a weapon in a locked vehicle, say in a security lock box in a console. What effect does temperature have on the ammo? I have read temps in a car on a hot day could reach 170 degree or more. Not even sure its a possibility but could a round go off due to the temp?

Unless you park your car in a blast furnace, i think you will be ok.

VIP3R 237
07-17-16, 20:02
Kydex holsters can deform in hot cars, I know this from experience...

Outlander Systems
07-17-16, 20:03
Just to add: the single biggest concern you should have about leaving a firearm in a vehicle is security. Period. All else is secondary.

If it is unlawful to carry in your workplace: don't.

If it's lawful, but against company policy: pack deep and keep that lip zippered. The CEO ain't gonna swoop in and catch a bullet for you; you're on your own.

duece71
07-17-16, 22:28
My biggest concern would be a break in. Granted....a thief probably isn't going to have a lot of time to search but it's a fairly small space right? Lock box would be the way to go, unless the thief rips out the entire box for later......bah, no matter, you will be fine.

Moose-Knuckle
07-18-16, 03:37
Rotate the ammo, my modus operandi was to shoot through my CCW ammo and change it every six months when I worked where I had to leave it in a hot/humid car.

It all went bang (Gold Dots and HST), I just did it for peace of mind.

Eurodriver
07-18-16, 07:36
If it is unlawful to carry in your workplace: don't.

Nahhhh. Gotta disagree with my homeboy here.

G43 in a Smart Carry.

Goes everywhere. Guys will take the misdemeanor if they get caught. No sweat.

Outlander Systems
07-18-16, 08:20
Roger that.

G43 for non-permissive environments...

G43 in a Smart Carry.

cbx
07-18-16, 10:33

G43 in a Smart Carry.

How you like that setup Euro? I've been thinking odd that exact same combo myself to add to my setup for when needed.

cbx
07-18-16, 10:37
Also, if melted kydex could be an issue for you ( not for me because of tinted Windows and a sun shade,) the newer safariland holsters are a plastic that doesn't deform.

sevenhelmet
07-18-16, 10:50
I'd personally keep it in a simplex-style lockbox or security drawer bolted securely to the body somewhere it can't be seen through the windows. You can get vehicle friendly options, including center-console inserts and under-seat security safes that will work pretty well for a during-the-day stash. Most auto break-ins are fast grab and go, unless they're stealing the car itself. In-car temps should be fine with a sunshade and/or cracked windows, but I agree with others on rotating ammo at least yearly, if not quarterly (also gives you an excuse to stay proficient, if you don't already).

A bit off topic, but I'd also avoid pro gun/gun brand stickers on the car, or anything which makes it look like your car might have something worth stealing inside.

Eurodriver
07-18-16, 11:11
How you like that setup Euro? I've been thinking odd that exact same combo myself to add to my setup for when needed.

Umm, "friends of mine" literally conceal a G43 and a spare mag in board shorts with no t-shirt while they are at beach bars. Nothing like being at a beach with a bunch of drunk hooligans knowing you've got 13 9mms on you. My friends used to carry a 642 but even though the G43 is heavier, it is thinner and makes concealment easier.

Lots of guys hated on it at first; it certainly is slow and cumbersome to draw compared to kydex at 12:00. But I've made my point when in an NPE or at the beach by casually mentioning...

"That slick G19 in an AIWB rig isn't very fast when you have to walk back to your car to get it."

Roger that.

G43 for non-permissive environments...

Or an AR15 ;) You remember the AR picture thread? SURPRISE C-F! :big_boss:

In keeping with this thread, I live in a pretty hot humid environment and I've left loaded mags in cars for at least a year. I even kept them in my car during my bed bug freakout where temps exceeded 170* in the sun and they still went bang.

scooter22
07-18-16, 11:25
People carry in bars?

Outlander Systems
07-18-16, 11:29
I don't drink, and it's legal to do so here...so...yeah.

People carry in bars?

Euro, recommend me an AIWB holster for the 43.

cbx
07-18-16, 11:35
Umm, "friends of mine" literally conceal a G43 and a spare mag in board shorts with no t-shirt while they are at beach bars. Nothing like being at a beach with a bunch of drunk hooligans knowing you've got 13 9mms on you. My friends used to carry a 642 but even though the G43 is heavier, it is thinner and makes concealment easier.

Lots of guys hated on it at first; it certainly is slow and cumbersome to draw compared to kydex at 12:00. But I've made my point when in an NPE or at the beach by casually mentioning...

"That slick G19 in an AIWB rig isn't very fast when you have to walk back to your car to get it."

Or an AR15 ;) You remember the AR picture thread? SURPRISE C-F! :big_boss:

In keeping with this thread, I live in a pretty hot humid environment and I've left loaded mags in cars for at least a year. I even kept them in my car during my bed bug freakout where temps exceeded 170* in the sun and they still went bang.
Using the pocket or smart carry while in board shorts?

jmoore
07-18-16, 12:15
The cold-rolled steel console vault in my truck is bolted through the floor to the frame. They can steal the truck and work on it later, but I don't think they would get it via a standard smash and grab in the parking lot while I was inside at work! AND - when shielded by the console and the vault itself - it has NEVER been hot in the safe, even after a full day out in the sun. And - I also rotate my ammo. YMMV

john

Wake27
07-18-16, 12:22
+1 for console vault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
07-18-16, 12:41

FWIW, and I've posted about it here before circa 2012 - I was involved in an altercation where my piece came out. Had just left a nightclub (NPE in FL). Cops knew I just left a nightclub. Cops gave zero ****s.

Can't help you with the AIWB - I don't carry that way ;) I have heard good things about this, however

https://trex-arms.com/store/raptor-appendix-holster/

Using the pocket or smart carry while in board shorts?

Smartcarry. No way to fit a G43 in a swim shorts pocket, and its way too heavy for those shorts anyway.

scooter22
07-18-16, 13:17
Outlander, these look neat:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?183627-SOB-Condom-Holsters!

MountainRaven
07-18-16, 13:40
FWIW, and I've posted about it here before circa 2012 - I was involved in an altercation where my piece came out. Had just left a nightclub (NPE in FL). Cops knew I just left a nightclub. Cops gave zero ****s.

Can't help you with the AIWB - I don't carry that way ;) I have heard good things about this, however

https://trex-arms.com/store/raptor-appendix-holster/

Smartcarry. No way to fit a G43 in a swim shorts pocket, and its way too heavy for those shorts anyway.

Since we're having a small detour for deep carry... how's the Smartcarry for running (in running shorts)?

cbx
07-18-16, 13:57

Try a vedder Outlander. Mine was $65. Got mine in less than a week for the 19 on Amazon. All of the other highly recommended ones either took month plus to get, or didn't have adjustments for ride height, cant or retention.

It's thick kydex too. Not flimsy like one of the name brand ones I tried at first from buddy.

You they have colors available too.

They have a bunch of YouTube videos showing their product too.

I'm sure there are many other awesome holsters. But but not waiting forever really appealed to me.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160718/67b70ef521bd686b92802a55d13342ee.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160718/9f448c65d5e7b7afb3e2fed8c2fef8e7.jpg

Arik
07-18-16, 14:51
People carry in bars?
Legal here as well. Or at least not illegal

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
07-18-16, 15:07
cbx,

Roger that, thanks for the recommendation. I'm probably going to end up picking up a 43 for a BUG.

Eurodriver
07-18-16, 15:59
Since we're having a small detour for deep carry... how's the Smartcarry for running (in running shorts)?

Funny.

I wouldn't know. :suicide2:

Outlander Systems
07-18-16, 16:24
Dude, just get foot replacement surgery and rock on.

Funny.

Firefly
07-18-16, 17:00
Or a pegleg. I'll even buy him a parrot.

Otherwise, I look at it this way....

Lamanzo Jaxon and Deeray Moore don't worry about these issues.

Follow the law like the Bible.
Bible is a groovy book, a real groovy book. It's main theme, in the sequel anyway, is forgiveness.

I would rather beg forgiveness from a human jury than have St. Peter look at me and say "Dammit, boy....I knew I'd see your big ass here sooner or later."

I'm not advocating skirting any laws. But while I'd prefer you wait until your wedding night, have some protection just in case

MountainRaven
07-18-16, 17:43
Funny.

Oh. Right. Uh, oops! My bad, bro.

cbx
07-18-16, 18:37
Any good solutions for locking up long guns? I've been looking, and not seeing any great options yet.

Firefly
07-18-16, 18:47
Any good solutions for locking up long guns? I've been looking, and not seeing any great options yet.

Locking up where and how?

You can buy trunk mounts same as police use. Otherwise anything that can be toted off can be....well....toted off

bp7178
07-18-16, 20:16
People carry in bars?

You have to check your local/state laws. In Missouri, its NOT illegal to be drunk and in possession of a firearm. The drunk thing only applies if you handle the firearm recklessly...think waving it around at a bar trying to be cool. There is an exception even outlined that says an intoxicated person can't be prosecuted if the firearm involved was being used in otherwise lawful self-defense.

Also, by Missouri law if you carry in a place which is marked by sign as no carry, all they (the people of the involved business/place) can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse, the most you get is a trespassing. If a workplace, the penalty may be higher but simply by civil means; ie they can fire you.

PatrioticDisorder
07-18-16, 22:02
People carry in bars?

Of course, perfectly legal in PA and did so on a regular basis when I lived there. In FL technically against the law, but like Euro said, I have "friends of mine" who carry in bars. Laws prohibiting carry are immoral & unjust IMO.

MegademiC
07-18-16, 22:24
Carrying in a bar. Some bars have good food. Just because they sell a certain % of alcohol vs food does not mean I can't go eat some good wings and still have protection, at least in OH. Unfortunately I can't enjoy a beer with them, but that's the law here.

Moose-Knuckle
07-19-16, 01:24
Can't CCW in businesses that generate 51% or more of the their revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages (for consumption) here. You can however legally carry in liquor stores as it is illegal to consume alcohol on the business's premises.

I don't frequent bars for a whole list of reasons, the above being just one.

cbx
07-19-16, 11:27
Current law here is can't be intoxicated. Which, I have mixed feelings about. Stupid drunks tend to be stupid drunks. I wished I could carry while drinking, however, I'm sure some retard would brandish his pawn shop special just to be an attention whore.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I, like you, don't spend that much time in bars anymore either.

Firefly
07-19-16, 14:27
My social drinking days died when I grew up.

However, I have gone to bars, clubs, etc to see live music I felt like seeing.

That's where people got their wires crossed on guns in bars. They think it means two drunks shooting it out.

No. Lots of reason to go into an establishment and not drink.

Friends may wish to drink, watching a band, someone about to get married, etc.

I never go to bars etc alone but would like it as state law that I could do so armed should I go.

This is up there with proclaiming a girl "had it coming" for wearing a short skirt. No. maybe it was warm, looked nice, and hey, it's goddamn America. No need for Burqas here.

Free, responsible adults.

cbx
07-19-16, 17:10
My social drinking days died when I grew up.

However, I have gone to bars, clubs, etc to see live music I felt like seeing.

That's where people got their wires crossed on guns in bars. They think it means two drunks shooting it out.

No. Lots of reason to go into an establishment and not drink.

Friends may wish to drink, watching a band, someone about to get married, etc.

I never go to bars etc alone but would like it as state law that I could do so armed should I go.

This is up there with proclaiming a girl "had it coming" for wearing a short skirt. No. maybe it was warm, looked nice, and hey, it's goddamn America. No need for Burqas here.

Free, responsible adults.
What it's the statute in Georgia now with the "guns everywhere"law? I thought you could carry into a bar in Georgia? Is there a no intoxication policy too?

Firefly
07-19-16, 17:19
What it's the statute in Georgia now with the "guns everywhere"law? I thought you could carry into a bar in Georgia? Is there a no intoxication policy too?

It is. I was speaking as a generality for other, more restrictive states.

Georgia has a pretty liberal gun law. Once it gets Constitutional carry it will be perfect. Perhaps the only saving grace at times.

It's easy to be smug where I'm at but others are less fortunate.

Hell, the police here have to PRESUME you are a licensed permit holder. They can't stop and compel you to exhibit despite open carry not being legal without permit.

Obviously rookies trying to save the world don't recognize that but it's true. You don't have to display on demand here without actual ARS.

Eurodriver
07-19-16, 18:56
I know this is a public forum so I'll word my question carefully.

Do you guys have friends that don't abide by CCW restricted locations?

Where I'm at carrying in a prohibited area (except, I believe, a K-12 school) is merely a misdemeanor of the 3rd degree or a $25 citation.

My friends DGAF.

Firefly
07-19-16, 19:20

Where I'm at carrying in a prohibited area (except, I believe, a K-12 school) is merely a misdemeanor of the 3rd degree or a $25 citation.

My friends DGAF.

A LOT of this depends on the Rookie/Asshole factor. I am not versed on Fl Law. I would think picking up your kid to or from would not be violating the spirit of aforementioned law.

Plus, friends notwithstanding, go to your local ghetto/barrio/trailer park.

How many of them are carrying? How many are not only unlicensed but prohibited persons?

How many of them really get caught?

cbx
07-19-16, 23:28

My friends DGAF.

Well, it's a very personal choice. The perps don't obey the law, so what do you do?

Orlando, even Oregon, cali, or any other event really would probably ended different if there was a ccw present. Especially a good carrier. Look at the outcome of Houston. One guy, although he got shot too by friendly fire, changed the entire balance of that event.

When it comes carry law here, it's Misdemeanor offense.. In fact pretty much all of the gun related offenses that are non violent are misdemeanors. Even the ones with intent, (intentionally with out malice) assuming you don't go to felony unlawful assault or felony discharge.

The threshold is once you go violent assault that isn't self defense, in commission of another crime, or unlawful discharge (with malice), then it's a felony.

The intoxicated law only speaks to conceal carry. Doesn't say Jack about open carry. So I guess as long as your not displaying in a threatening manner, you can be drunk....lol..

Only one that seems more serious is concealed, on campus, while intoxicated. That one looks like you get to lose your ccw for a while.

Also interesting. The law here basically says as long as it's made here, and says made here, you can do what you want, I.e. Build your own suppressor, fire arms or accessories. Single pull only. State law doesn't recognize fed law there. Even another law saying that state officials can't enforce any new fed firearm laws or executive order. Subject to fine.

I had no idea the rules were well, not so bad I guess? So really, unless you commit felony discharge or assault, a misdemeanor is the worst that can happen. They do maybe carry fines and some jail time possibly. But that's it. Unless it's a domestic.

AKDoug
07-20-16, 01:27

My friends DGAF. My friends DGAF either... they carry at high school volleyball games, graduations and parent teach conferences. The also carry in banks, bars, and ignore "don't you dare carry here" signs at all locations. The only people my friends fear are the Feds, courthouses, and secured parts of airports.. they don't screw with the Feds...except the post office... F' the post office.