PDA

View Full Version : Who Wants To See Something Cool...(Part VII)

SteyrAUG
07-18-16, 02:18
http://i66.tinypic.com/14bibno.jpg

Vietnam era Camillus MC-1 w/canopy line cutter.

Now military switchblades are nothing new. The oldest one I'm aware of was made by Presto and issued to groups like the 101rst Airborne in World War II. These weren't fighting knives, but more a "get me out of this tree" knife which is why they had to be capable of opening one handed and later had a canopy line cutter incorporated.

Companies such as Schrade and Camillus produced them from around the Korean War until 1993 and currently Colonial makes a knife that is more or less the same thing but available in black, OD green and a few other colors if memory serves.

But the bright orange MC-1 was the iconic Vietnam military switchblade. I got this one back around 1978. At the time the martial arts community had a lot of participation from Vietnam veterans and one of the guys who trained with one of my instructors happened to be an actual green beret dude and when he learned I collected "militaria" he gave me a couple of military manuals "Mines and Booby Traps used by the Viet Cong In South Vietnam" and "Viet Cong Boobytraps, Mines And Mine Warfare Techniques" as well as this MC-1 knife.

They aren't exceptionally rare, even Vietnam issue / era knives can be found in the $100-150 range. But when you are a kid in middle school, something like that is priceless.

SilverBullet432
07-18-16, 13:13
That's awesome.

Averageman
07-18-16, 15:49
My Dad had one of those.

Firefly
07-18-16, 16:47
See, that is cool.

I wish sometimes I still had all my old SoFs and Boy's Life magazines.

There will be a day when kids won't have nothing cool to talk about except goddamn facebook

dwhitehorne
07-18-16, 18:40
My Dad had one of those.

Mine did too. He gave it to me last year when they moved to a smaller house. Very cool. David

Rayrevolver
07-18-16, 19:34
Can't be that old! Could have swore I had one in my flight suit not that long ago. We also carried PRC-90's so maybe we were getting stuff they found in an old Vietnam era crate.

SteyrAUG
07-18-16, 21:14
Can't be that old! Could have swore I had one in my flight suit not that long ago. We also carried PRC-90's so maybe we were getting stuff they found in an old Vietnam era crate.

They were produced for the air force until 1993.

26 Inf
07-18-16, 23:35
I have one that I was issued along with a couple of strobes in a box somewhere. The story that I heard was that the shroud line cutter was supposed to be the switch blade part but someone screwed up. Thinking about it, it makes sense the blade isn't really a fighting blade, and if you really need a shroud line cutter, you might not have the use of both hands.

SteyrAUG
07-19-16, 00:32
I have one that I was issued along with a couple of strobes in a box somewhere. The story that I heard was that the shroud line cutter was supposed to be the switch blade part but someone screwed up. Thinking about it, it makes sense the blade isn't really a fighting blade, and if you really need a shroud line cutter, you might not have the use of both hands.

The first ones made by Presto are nearly the same design.

http://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2010/01/PrestoKnife014-1.jpg

While an auto shroud cutter would have made logical sense, I don't think anyone was going to retool a completely different design to make it happen. They simply used existing double blade designs with a main blade push button and replaced the smaller blade with a shroud cutter.

This just wasn't an important enough piece of equipment to warrant a design overhaul. I guess the powers that be figured if the guys in WWII could cut themselves free with the main blade then so could the guys in Vietnam.

Averageman
07-19-16, 06:35
I'm thinking that if I had to use a knife to cut my parachute lines away, I would have such a grip on that thing that my finger prints would be pressed an 1/8th in to the handle.

eodinert
07-19-16, 06:54
I have one of those too. Cool bit of kit.