PDA

View Full Version : LAX Ammo & Hex Mags. A Tale of Customer Service; UPDATE: New Series 2 Hex Mag Review!

Kdubya
07-18-16, 23:53
I made a decent sized ammo purchase right after Orlando, and added some magazines to the order for good measure due to the free shipping. LAX Ammo had the best price on the specific ammo I was looking for (62gr PMC X-tac), and the only Mags they had were Hex Mags. I read some reviews, found a mix of both good and bad, came across a "torture test" video, and was pretty impressed. They ran them over, shot them, etc. And they just kept running. The negative comments were fairly consistent. Tough to seat on a closed bolt and a smaller portion who said rounds would occasionally pop out when seating on an open bolt. At $9, I went ahead and gave them a shot.

The delivery from LAX went perfectly. Well packaged, and shipping was free. I grabbed one of the Mags and loaded it up to 30. Moment of truth...closed bolt...push/pull...no dice. Okay, how about a little slap? No dice. A little harder, and finally got it to seat. Tried it again with the push/pull, but with more force, and wouldn't seat. I started downloading a round at a time, and it just would not seat with the push/pull method. A hard slap would work, but only about 50% of the time. I decided to try with an open bolt, and even then the push/pull was not always effective. The only time it would seat without issue was completely empty. I grabbed a couple of PMags, GI, and CAA mags that have never given me problems; just to rule out a sudden issue with my rifle. No issues. The traditional push/pull worked with each regardless of the number of rounds loaded.

So, disappointed, I fired off an email to LAX Ammo. The mags felt sturdy, and the finishing was great, but they do me no good if they don't seat reliably. It took 13 Days to get a response, which isn't great. But, I don't know how big of a company LAX is, and we'd just had the president crying about gun control again. All the places I frequent were overloaded with business. So, while the response time left a little to be desired, the ultimate reply from LAX showed some excellent customer service. The reply was actually sent by their President, Daniel Kash, and can be found below. He took ownership of the situation and committed to making it right.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsyqdki2ju.jpeg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsyqdki2ju.jpeg.html)

A couple days later I received a response from Fred G. over at Hex Mags. He also took immediate ownership, and assured that they'd take care of me. He also acknowledged that others were having similar issues, it was a known problem, and that they are a couple weeks away from releasing a 2nd Generation. He shared several changes that were being made. Both to fix the problem and to enhance the overall features. He asked for my address, and said he'd send out some Series 2 replacements as soon as their production was up and running. His entire response can be found below. He was respectful, forthcoming, and proactive. While I'd set out to obtain a refund, I was perfectly fine with trying this instead.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsseqixo1y.jpeg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsseqixo1y.jpeg.html)

I don't know when the new ones will show up, but I'm eager to give them a fair shot. The Hex Mags certainly seem rugged enough for taking some abuse. So if the Series 2 function properly, the shooting community can count this as a win. It'd be great to have another affordable choice increasing the overall supply in uncertain times.

Sorry for the long post, and for rehashing much that is found in the screen-shots of the email exchanges. I just wanted to make sure I sufficiently articulated all sides of the story, and give everyone a heads up on a new product that will soon be hitting the market!

Update to follow...

klawson
07-20-16, 09:45
Sounds like they are doing similar to what Magpul has done with their mags. Acknowledged issues with their mags and try to improve them. I commend them for that. I have 24 Hexmag 30's in various colors and so far have had no issue in all the rifles I have tried them in so far.

Thank you for posting your experience, I'll probably pick up a couple gen 2's to add to the collection.

ColtSeavers
07-20-16, 10:17
Thank you for the first hand findings and additional information. Glad to read that your problem (as well as Hexmag's) are being addressed.

Kdubya
07-20-16, 18:08
You're welcome, gents. Thanks for bearing with me on the long post. I truly wanted them to do well, as they're at a very nice price point. Some have had no issues, others have. Fortunately, it seems to be an all or nothing scenario. If they work for you, they're pretty much gtg. I'm hoping for good things from the Gen 2, and will make sure to report on the results.

BuzzinSATX
07-20-16, 19:59
I hope this all works out well for you.

But maybe I'm an anal SOB, and when a company resident sends out an e-mail to a customer complaint with grammar errors and misspelled words, I take that as a sign.

"there" versus "their"

"e mail" versus the recognized and accepted "e-mail"

Again...I'm pretty anal about official correspondence, especially from top level company leadership.

Eurodriver
07-20-16, 20:03
Good C/S is always a good thing.

But if you bought PMAGs or OKAYs you wouldn't have needed it.

With that said, I'm curious about that response time. Is that typical?

Kdubya
07-20-16, 20:38
I hope this all works out well for you.

But maybe I'm an anal SOB, and when a company resident sends out an e-mail to a customer complaint with grammar errors and misspelled words, I take that as a sign.

"there" versus "their"

"e mail" versus the recognized and accepted "e-mail"

Again...I'm pretty anal about official correspondence, especially from top level company leadership.

Believe me, I'm the same way. I take grammar a little too seriously most times. However, I can look past the errors in light of the substance of their response. I'm guessing both are fairly small companies, and probably overwhelmed with business right now. What I didn't share in the first post, is after the initial wait, the response time has been excellent in follow up notes. Daniel, the LAX President, actually responded to one of my replies at 12:02 AM EST. I can respect a company president for that level of dedication, in spite of his grammatical missteps.

Good C/S is always a good thing.

But if you bought PMAGs or OKAYs you wouldn't have needed good C/S.

With that said, I'm curious about that response time. Is that typical? I've got a bum upper from a big company and still waiting an answer.

I've got plenty of PMags and GI Mags. I was already getting free shipping on my order, felt it wouldn't hurt to have some more Mags, and these were all they carried. It was worth a shot. As soon as I found the problem, I immediately purchased some more Gen 2 PMags from Primary Arms for the same price as the Hex Mags. Again, didn't necessarily need them, but who knows what the availability and pricing will be over the next few months.

As far as the response time, I'm thinking that a lot of places are probably overwhelmed right now. Although, I put a pistol build together, from a relatively obscure company, and their service and response time was outstanding. Overall, I think we just have to accept that we might run into instances of slow service given the current climate.

Kdubya
07-26-16, 21:32
Quick update...

I recieved an email from Fred at Hexmags yesterday. New Series 2 mags should be showing up tomorrow. Will report back in regards to their function tomorrow evening, although it will be a couple days before I might be able to get to the range. Trying to plan a trip for the weekend.

Stay tuned...

Pushbutton2
07-29-16, 19:57
Are there any visible differences?

Kdubya
07-30-16, 02:57
Okay, so the New Series 2 Hex Mags arrived on Wednesday, just as Fred had said they would. On top of sending me the Replacements, they also threw in 4 Grip Tape Packs and 2 Packs (8 Sets) of Replacement Follower/Latchplate Kits! While it really wasn't necessary, I very much appreciated the gesture. It really speaks to their commitment to Customer Service. Additionally, I had asked about an RMA so that I could send the defective Series 1 Hex Mags back, but Fred told me to go ahead and keep them. He disclosed that the Problem with the Series 1 version was attributed to the Body/Frame of the Magazines. The Springs, Followers, Latchplates, and Baseplates were perfectly fine and are completely compatible with the New Series 2. So, thanks to Fred, I now have more parts for the rainy day stash!

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5atfrazx.jpeg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5atfrazx.jpeg.html)

Now, onto the review and finding if the Series 2 would solve the issue I and others had been experiencing. I took one of the New Series 2 and Loaded it to 30 Rounds. There was no issue filling it to capacity. Every round clicked right in from the first to the last. Now the moment of truth. I inserted it with standard "push" method onto a Closed Bolt...Click. Now for the Pull...yep, it was seated in there and locked in tight! No slap necessary, and no more force than what's needed when using a Pmag and employing the push/pull method. I repeated the push/pull over a dozen times, and did have maybe two instances where it didn't immediately seat. However, I attribute this to my own user error, as I've occasionally had the same happen with other Brands of known quality and function. Even on those two occasions, it just required a little more push, no slap, and seated right up. It's been a busy week, so I still have to run through the other 4 Replacement Mags, but I expect the same results. As far as I can tell, the issue appears to have been resolved.

Given that I still had the Series 1 Mags, I decided to compare the two for both difference in quality and what they had changed to affect the function. Overall, the Fit and Finish of both the Series 1 and Series 2 are perfectly fine. They look and feel sturdy, with clean lines and exterior finish. The Series 2 are slightly more refined in terms of the quality of appearance. The seams on the front and back are a little bit cleaner. Also, on the Series 1's, there were some circles on the right side of the Magazine; embellished in it's body. I am guessing they were simply a cosmetic side-effect of the manufacturing process, and those circles have disappeared from the Series 2 (comparison below). The only manufacturing "marks" are the seams on the front and back. The Series 2 also are a little less Glossy than the Series 1; being less prone to showing "grease" from handling. Was it a major issue with the Series 1? No. Is it a nice change for the Series 2? Sure. It does seem like they may have adjusted the formula of their polymer. If anyone knows what the 'coding' on the dial stamped in the plastic means, the Series 1 is 16-2 and the Series 2 is 16-7. I compared it to some Gen 2 Pmags, which are stamped 15-12. When comparing the overall look and feel of the Series 2 Hex to a Gen 2 Pmag, the Hex Mags are just slightly more Glossy and not quite as Abrasive. By no means are the Hex Mags slippery, but the Magpuls are just a hair "tackier". Overall, the fit and finish of both Series of Hex Mags seem to be of similar quality to that of Magpuls. They're not identical, but both appear to be of quality.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnceozbjb.jpeg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnceozbjb.jpeg.html)
Notice the slightly Glossier finish and faintly visible Circular Manufacturing Marks on the Series 1 (Left) vs. the more Matte Finish and no Manufacturing Marks of the Series 2 (Right)

Now, onto the overall function, and trying to determine what changed in the body/mechanics to make the Series 2 lock up reliably. There are a few different things that I looked at when evaluating the functionality. First, I shook each Magazine rather vigorously. The Series 1 had a slight "rattle". The Series 2 were mostly devoid of that same "rattle". I shook a new Gen 2 Pmag to compare, and the Series 2 Hex Mag is pretty much on par with the Magpul in terms of discernible "rattle". Next, I manually pushed the Follower down into the Magazine, would let pressure off of it, and then repeat. I wanted to see if it felt like there were any "hang-ups". Both the Series 1 and Series 2 moved cleanly without any perceivable rough spots. Compared to a new Magpul Gen 2, I could feel no difference in the smoothness of the movement of the follower through the body of the Magazine. Now, in terms of the resistance and required force to move the follower downward, the Series 2 seemed to be a little stiffer. It's very hard to quantify, but I do feel there was a small discernible difference compared to the Series 1. Given that Fred had stated the springs are interchangeable between each Series of Hex Mags, I am guessing that the internal tolerance of the Series 2's body is slightly tighter than the Series 1. When comparing to a new Gen 2 Pmag, both Series of Hex Mags appear to have a little more tension than the Pmags. In spite of if there actually is any quantifiable difference of spring tension, both Series cycled rounds just fine manually. Although, I still need to get to the range to actually verify that rounds feed through them properly when firing. At that point I'll post a much more truncated update, basically giving just a yea or nay on their ability to feed properly.

For trying to determine the changes to the body of the magazine, I stood the Series 1 and 2 next to each-other and then took some measurements with a set of calipers. While the calipers I have are far from "professional grade", the overall height of the Series 2 did consistently measure to be slightly shorter than the Series 1. Even visually this seems to be perceptible, as seen in the photo below. Additionally, the width at the top of the Magazine also consistently measured to be slightly smaller on the Series 2. Perhaps that explains the feel of stiffer spring tension when compared to the Series 1 and Magpul Gen 2. In both regards, the difference in dimensions is very small. Overall, when comparing to a Gen 2 Pmag, the dimensions of the Series 2 Hex appear to be nearly identical.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsio5xss88.jpeg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsio5xss88.jpeg.html)
Series 1 (Left), Series 2 (Right)

The last thing I looked at, and tried to measure, was the mag-catch Slot on the side of the Magazines. The recessed rectangular portion of the Series 1 Hex, Series 2 Hex, and Gen 2 Pmags are virtually identical in dimensions. On the Series 2 Hex, they added what appears to be a very slightly raised notch at the Top of the mag-catch slot. This feature does not exist on either the Series 1 Hex or the Gen 2 Pmag. While I feel that this might be intended to help "guide" the Rifle's mag-catch into the slot on the Magazine, I do not feel that this is what makes the Series 2 Hex function properly. What I do think fixed the functionality is the orientation of the slot in relation to the top of the feed lips. On the Series 2, the distance from the top of the slot to the top of the feed lips is a few hundredths of an inch shorter than that of the Series 1. When comparing the Series 2 Hex to the Gen 2 Pmag, that distance was virtually identical. This is where I believe the issue with the Series 1 Hex existed, and where it was resolved with the Series 2 Hex. Earlier, I had noted the width of the Series 2 was smaller, but I don't believe the seating issue was related to the magazine "seizing up" inside the magwell. I really believe the orientation of the mag-catch slot on the side of the Magzine was the culprit. The photo below shows the difference between the Series 1 and Series 2 Hex. I could not find a great way to show the difference in the orientation of the slot in relation to the feed lip, but you should be able to make out the added raised notch on the Series 2.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsohzotrru.jpeg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsohzotrru.jpeg.html)
Series 1 Hex (Left), Series 2 Hex (Right)

Overall, I am very pleased with the Series 2 Hex Mags. Really, for both Series, the quality seems to be on par with the more established brands. The Hex Mags, verified by some torture tests I've seen, should hold up just as well as Magpuls under most conditions. However, I clearly would not recommend the Series 1 due to the seating issue. The Series 2 seems to have completely resolved that flaw, and is slightly more refined. At the $10ish price point, I would say they are a "buy". Again, I still need to run some rounds through them in a traditional sense. But, for all of the critiques I've seen, issues with feeding and ruggedness never appeared to be a problem. In regards to the features, I do think that the ability to color code the followers and latchplates is an advantage over the other Magazines on the Market. It's an excellent feature for those that run a combination of 5.56, 300 Blackout, 458 SOCOM, and 50 Beaowulf. Even for those that only run 5.56/.223, I can see a use for this in helping to identify match vs. range vs. defensive ammo. I can't close without again speaking to the excellent Customer Service from Hex Mags. Fred was extremely responsive, open about acknowledging the problem, and went above and beyond to make it right. I can truly appreciate a company that refuses to accept mediocrity, admits their shortcomings, and looks to improve their products. In a time when the firearms market is a bit uncertain, I'm happy to have another option at a reasonable price, and through a company that cares about the end user.

Thanks for bearing with me through this long update, stay tuned for a much shorter range evaluation, and let me know if you'd have any questions.

WS6
07-30-16, 04:58
I procrastinated getting ammo for a class, and ordered it from LAX AMMO. Sadly, I then noted that shipping from them to me, even if it happened that day, would not get to me in time, and they had a few days shipping wait, per their website. I E-mailed asking them to cancel my order so I could buy ammo from a place that could ship ASAP, and said it was all my fault, due to the above. They called me back, and said they could ship THAT DAY if needed, and I told them no, I had miscalculated, and even that wouldn't fix it. They then politely cancelled my order, thanked me, and told me to keep them in mind for next time.

I could not have asked for better CS when the error was entirely on my shoulders, and while they got no money from me, they will get future orders, and they will have another "customer" sharing how solid their CS is and whole-heartedly recommending them!

Kdubya
07-30-16, 07:58
I procrastinated getting ammo for a class, and ordered it from LAX AMMO. Sadly, I then noted that shipping from them to me, even if it happened that day, would not get to me in time, and they had a few days shipping wait, per their website. I E-mailed asking them to cancel my order so I could buy ammo from a place that could ship ASAP, and said it was all my fault, due to the above. They called me back, and said they could ship THAT DAY if needed, and I told them no, I had miscalculated, and even that wouldn't fix it. They then politely cancelled my order, thanked me, and told me to keep them in mind for next time.

I could not have asked for better CS when the error was entirely on my shoulders, and while they got no money from me, they will get future orders, and they will have another "customer" sharing how solid their CS is and whole-heartedly recommending them!

Thanks for sharing another positive experience. In my rather lengthy update I neglected to reiterate the great service on LAX's end as well. Daniel, LAX's President, stayed in contact throughout the whole process of getting my issue resolved. It sounds like the responsiveness that I'd received is the norm, and that's great to hear. It was my first purchase from LAX, and will not be my last. Excellent customer service and some great prices. I, too, would highly recommend them!

Pushbutton2
08-04-16, 19:14
Have a chance to shoot the new mags yet?

MegademiC
08-04-16, 20:57
My friend had some gen1 hex mags that would not work in my gun. 1st mag to ever not work in it other than a beat up gi mag with bent feedlips.

It worked flawlessly in his colt, however, so may be a tolorant stacking thing.

Kdubya
08-04-16, 22:56
Have a chance to shoot the new mags yet?

Past couple weekends have been buried with home projects. 1st Baby is coming in Novmber, so I've been more inclined to abandon my leisurely plans when the wife says, "we need to get X done this weekend". She already has her request in for the next couple days...we need to take a break and do something fun. So I'll have a report very soon.

My friend had some gen1 hex mags that would not work in my gun. 1st mag to ever not work in it other than a beat up gi mag with bent feedlips.

It worked flawlessly in his colt, however, so may be a tolorant stacking thing.

I agree with the tolerance stacking theory. Given the mixed reviews, that seems to be the likely culprit. My guess is the Series 1 are very close to threshold at one end of the spectrum, causing the problem to be a little more prevalent. However, now that I know I can keep all the Series 1, I do plan to open and test the remainder of them to see if the issue was isolated to the one I happened to open.

K1tt3n5
08-05-16, 00:44
Glad to hear they took care of you. Those mags seem to have a cult following on instagram. Personally I think they look goofy, but they are cheap and if they work, that's great.

prdubi
08-05-16, 04:50
good people .

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Curh
08-05-16, 12:07
I happened to have a similar issues with the HexMags I recently ordered. They wouldnt seat properly in my new 300 BLK or my 5.56. They did seem like good quality and I like the look, so I will be looking forward to try these Gen2. Thanks for the write-up!

Kdubya
08-05-16, 13:17
I can take it or leave it with the look. Frankly, I think it's a design that functions as free marketing. They are very unique. So anyone that sees them at the range or in a video of a professional shooter, and likes them, will not have a hard time figuring out what they are.

HeruMew
08-22-16, 17:56
First and foremost, gotta thank the OP for clearing this dilemma up for me.

When I purchased my AA15, I also purchased 2 "double packs" of hexmags for less than 20 dollars a pair.

When I did this, I already had a stock of reliable USGIs, so I didn't worry about it much.

A couple months ago, I opened one of these pairs and tried them out. They seated easy empty, dropped free on open or closed bolt. They worked perfectly in those regards.

I got my first chance to go to the range and had many issues seating them, not just in my rifle, but in a couple othet guys' rifles too.

I noticed it happened on either an open bolt, or closed, and it was night and day between 5 rounds loaded and empty.

5 rounds in, fails a push-pull without a hard, and very hard, smack.

Empty, smooth as butter, locked up great. No issues.

So, I thought, okay; give it some time, maybe they need to break in.

Boy was I wrong; good news is, I was sure about the issue after it all.

I finally just threw them in a range bag and left them for trainer magazines.

Than, fast forward less than 2 weeks, this thread pops up. I see it, I think: Wow, I am not the only one seeing this.

So, I send a "Contact Us", and I get a reply from Fred within 2 hours, yes, TWO HOURS. He asks to send some pictures, and he confirms mine are from an out of spec batch. In that same email, he told me they were gunna make it right, and get me replacements sent out.

That was on Aug Fifth, low-and-behold today:
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w499/HeruMew/Mobile%20Uploads/20160822_173421_zpsu7urwl5w.jpg

They've replaced them and sent some swag.

I will be testing them out, they look like good enhancements and the conpany made things right super quick and in a very professional manner.

Thanks Fred, pleasure working with a company like that in our saturated markets.

Kdubya
08-22-16, 21:09

When I purchased my AA15, I also purchased 2 "double packs" of hexmags for less than 20 dollars a pair.

When I did this, I already had a stock of reliable USGIs, so I didn't worry about it much.

A couple months ago, I opened one of these pairs and tried them out. They seated easy empty, dropped free on open or closed bolt. They worked perfectly in those regards.

I got my first chance to go to the range and had many issues seating them, not just in my rifle, but in a couple othet guys' rifles too.

I noticed it happened on either an open bolt, or closed, and it was night and day between 5 rounds loaded and empty.

Than, fast forward less than 2 weeks, this thread pops up. I see it, I think: Wow, I am not the only one seeing this.

So, I send a "Contact Us", and I get a reply from Fred within 2 hours, yes, TWO HOURS. He asks to send some pictures, and he confirms mine are from an out of spec batch. In that same email, he told me they were gunna make it right, and get me replacements sent out.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w499/HeruMew/Mobile%20Uploads/20160822_173421_zpsu7urwl5w.jpg

I will be testing them out, they look like good enhancements and the conpany made things right super quick and in a very professional manner.

Thanks Fred, pleasure working with a company like that in our saturated markets.

I'm happy to help and am very glad to hear of another customer being taken care of. The portion that I've highlighted from your post perfectly captures the befuddlement I'd felt with the Series 1s. It was so bizzare what a difference only a couple of rounds would make with a magazine that gave me no trouble loading to 30.

It is interesting to read Fred's comment about "out of spec batches". This likely explains why the reviews are so polarized. I'm still eager to get mine to the range and really test them out. In the past few weeks, my priorities and plans changed due to a death in the family. So, I apologize for the lack of an update. I'm trying to make it happen soon, but don't want to promise anything just yet.

Either way, I'll be interested to compare experiences with the Series 2s. With a company this honest and customer focused, I'll be sending a lot more of my Magazine business their way if things go as I expect them to.

MeanCarbine
08-24-16, 12:21

Did the same as you, but got a reply from Fred in 15 minutes. Two new mags on the way. Thanks OP.:happy:

MeanCarbine
09-05-16, 13:52
My series II mags still will not seat fully loaded nor downloaded with 28 in my Ruger and 2A lowers,......with a closed bolt. With the bolt locked back, they seat just fine. I have had zero problems with my PMAGS, Lancers, and USGI mags.