PDA

View Full Version : Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS M5

mildot
07-19-16, 16:31
Owners/Operators care to chime in? not a big EOTech fan, but how do these stack up with Aimpoint? Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/GsvBNmc.jpg

xZ0ZIj3brag

Savage018
07-20-16, 06:35
I have the standard version not the Pro like you have pictured in your post. So far, I really like it. I used it a few days ago on my Tavor and it locked up solid on the rail when I mounted it and held zero perfectly fine. I won't make a final judgment on it until I have had more time to test it out and see how the battery lasts but so far I am pleased with it and I think anyone looking for the EOtech's FOV but with a 2 MOA red dot would be happy with one.

mildot
07-20-16, 06:39
Thanks for the comments, after some reading, I understand the "early" version came with an aluminium hood? & the later models are plastic. IYO is that a "deal breaker" ??? or does it make any difference in your experience so far?

Savage018
07-20-16, 07:11
When I first starting looking to buy one that was a concern of mine so I tried to find one of the Premier Editions that came with the aluminum hood. I never did find one but came across a good deal for one with the polymer hood. I talked to Tim from Military Arms Channel about it and he suggested I just go ahead and buy it and that he had had no issues with his after over a year of use and some abuse. In fact, he told me that he thought the Pro version was not worth the extra $300 it cost. So, I went ahead and got it and I have to say I am pretty impressed with how the polymer hood looks and feels. It is absolutely not flimsy at all like you would think by looking at pictures. Very hard and sturdy. I'm not too concerned with its durability. The whole unit is really solid and feels to be built like a tank.

Bret
07-27-16, 19:26
I have an Aimpoint H1 RDS mounted on my 9mm RRA AR15 SBR. It's decent, but my astigmatism causes some distortion/blurring. I have a Mepro Tru-Dot RDS mounted on my Beretta CX4 Storm. I find the Mepro to be clearer and have less distortion. That said, it's really going to come down to your personal vision. My close in vision is blurry, but my far off vision is virtually perfect. As a result, my opinions seem to vary from what is typical. For example, I find the Mepro M21 to be very clear, but don't care for the Eotech XPS2.

mildot
07-28-16, 08:21
I have an Aimpoint H1 RDS mounted on my 9mm RRA AR15 SBR. It's decent, but my astigmatism causes some distortion/blurring. I have a Mepro Tru-Dot RDS mounted on my Beretta CX4 Storm. I find the Mepro to be clearer and have less distortion. That said, it's really going to come down to your personal vision. My close in vision is blurry, but my far off vision is virtually perfect. As a result, my opinions seem to vary from what is typical. For example, I find the Mepro M21 to be very clear, but don't care for the Eotech XPS2.

I pretty much agree with what you have said, I'm in the same boat as far as your eyes are concerned. I was thinking on trying one of theses out, missed a good deal on GB, but I'm in not hurry. Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. Do you think there is anything to be "gained" by getting the PRO model? IYO? Thanks

Bret
07-28-16, 09:40
The regular Mepro Tru-Dot RDS seems sturdy enough to me, but I'm not really banging it around on my CX4 Storm. So, I'd just go with the regular one given the price difference.

mildot
07-28-16, 09:43
The regular Mepro Tru-Dot RDS seems sturdy enough to me, but I'm not really banging it around on my CX4 Storm. So, I'd just go with the regular one given the price difference.

Rgr that, there is a bit of a price difference, the PRO is said to be "mil spec" , however my stuff doesn't see "tip of the spear" usesage, Thanks

Bret
07-28-16, 11:19
BTW, for the past two years (or more), themakogroup.com (they're the Mepro importer) has had a sale around Christmas. The sale prices have been lower than I've seen anywhere else. I received an email a few days ago from them with the coupon code OPT29 for 29% off the price on their website. That would have put the Tru-Dot RDS at $284 + shipping. It's not valid now, but you might call them and see if they'd honor it over the phone. If not, see when their next sale will be. Otherwise, slickguns.com history shows that it often sells in thee $300 range. I wouldn't go higher than that.

mildot
07-28-16, 11:22
BTW, for the past two years (or more), themakogroup.com (they're the Mepro importer) has had a sale around Christmas. The sale prices have been lower than I've seen anywhere else. I received an email a few days ago from them with the coupon code OPT29 for 29% off the price on their website. That would have put the Tru-Dot RDS at $284 + shipping. It's not valid now, but you might call them and see if they'd honor it over the phone. If not, see when their next sale will be. Otherwise, slickguns.com history shows that it often sells in thee $300 range. I wouldn't go higher than that.

I came across the Slickguns.com price, do you need to "register" at the Mako site? or can I just " sign up" for the emails, either way thanks for the "heads up" Cheers.
Just checked out the Mako site & can't see anything for sale? odd?

Bret
07-28-16, 12:52
I'm not sure about registering versus just signing up for the emails. I ordered some magazines and they just helped themselves to sending me emails. I don't mind as they only send about four a year. The stuff on themakogroup.com wouldn't show as being on sale. You'd just have to enter the coupon code during checkout and it would adjust the code then. The OPT29 code no longer works, but if you call them they might give you another or give you the same price over the phone if you're lucky.

Savage018
07-28-16, 12:59
I came across the Slickguns.com price, do you need to "register" at the Mako site? or can I just " sign up" for the emails, either way thanks for the "heads up" Cheers.
Just checked out the Mako site & can't see anything for sale? odd?

Hey man, a guy on the bullpup forum has a new in box Premier Edition (came with the aluminum hood instead of polymer) for $310 shipped.

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=10352.0

mildot
07-28-16, 13:06
Hey man, a guy on the bullpup forum has a new in box Premier Edition (came with the aluminum hood instead of polymer) for $310 shipped.

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=10352.0

Thanks, I'm not a member there, but a dam good find!! Thank You, BTW, if your a member? Any chance you could pass along the email? Cheers

Savage018
07-28-16, 13:09
Well, I said I wasn't a member but I tried my usual login and password and turns out I am. Must have registered and forgotten about it. I'll PM you the e-mail address for him.

mildot
07-28-16, 13:17
No worries I got it sorted, Thanks, Cheers

mildot
08-03-16, 05:28
Well I was able to "snag" one at a VERY reasonable price, far less than some of the major retailers. So far so good, haven't shot it yet, but just an initial inspection of the fit & finish is quite good. It's well made and seems very robust. I'm usually an Aimpoint guy so this is my first "EOTech" style of sight. Thanks troops for all the input & comments! Well Done!

Savage018
08-03-16, 06:12
Good deal. Glad you were able to get it for a good price.

mildot
08-03-16, 06:16
Ya, it's was $300ish, and NIB, I'm very fortunate, that site is pretty good for stuff as well, Thanks again for the "heads up" cheers