PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Gonzales and LMT...

jhs1969
09-02-08, 01:36
Anyone taken one of Jeff's courses at Trident Concepts? I've seen two SWAT articles about him and every photo I've seen he is using a LMT MRP in SBR config. The MRP is at the top of the list for my next rifle and I was wondering what an ex-SEAL's opinion on it was. Anyone who has one please chime in as well, trying to gather as much info on the MRP as possible.

SethB
09-02-08, 02:29
I would caution you that for every person running an MRP there is one who wouldn't. In the end it is a judgment call that each person has to make.

The MRP is a fine rifle if the barrel stays in and the carrier key doesn't impact the gas tube.

But mine is a sample of one. Other people have other experiences and concerns.

jhs1969
09-02-08, 02:53
I would caution you that for every person running an MRP there is one who wouldn't. In the end it is a judgment call that each person has to make.

The MRP is a fine rifle if the barrel stays in and the carrier key doesn't impact the gas tube.

This is the first I've heard of any problems with the MRP. You have experienced these problems? Please elaborate.

nickdrak
09-02-08, 03:07
There was a short run of MRP's that had some major issues (Right about the time that they were the HOT item to have), but those issues appear to have been completely resolved. From all of the report I have seen, it was a machining error with the receiver where the BCG resides which caused the carrier to get locked up inside of the receiver. Basically they inside of the receivers of the faulty MRP's were machined crooked.

I bought mine nearly 5 years ago when they first came out, and I am 100% confident in its reliabilty, and I carry it as my duty carbine on patrol.

Having stated that, knowing what I know now, and with all of the current options available today, Im not sure I would go with the MRP if I was building up a new carbine today.

The quick change barrel feature of the MRP is not really useful unless you plan on swapping out barrels on a regular basis.

The MRP is heavier then most similarly configured upper receiver groups (with railed forend installed). And while the MRP's barrels are plenty accurate & durable, there are some barrel options that are more accurate (Lilja, Noveske SS), and have a longer service life (Noveske N4).

The standard direct impingement MRP's can be purchased for a good price of late due to LMT's recent price drop on the MRP's.

m4_556
09-02-08, 18:50

I've heard of this problem once before, and that was several years ago. I currently own a 14.5 and couldn't be happier with it after about 2k rounds. It's a little heaver as already described above, but the machining is top notch and it's a money saver compared to buying a 14.5 and 10.5 upper separately. The barrels change quick and really don't lose a considerable amount of accuracy. All and all I think of it as a gas or now piston option that is available now and has a manufacturer that isn't going to experience as much volitility as others in the event of another AWB so the probability of lifetime service is great.

nickdrak
09-02-08, 19:11
Mine has 12,000+ rounds through it with no upper related issues at all.

SethB
09-02-08, 19:20
My brother and I put about 7500 rounds through one. We did 3500 straight with no cleaning and no issues until a case got stuck and tore off a rim.

After the gas tube fused I sold it to a friend. It did the same thing to him after less than a thousand rounds.

They are decent guns, but they do have a few issues. The weight is a big thing for me as well. They are heavy as shit. You have to add a half pound to the rear just to balance them out.

Spooky130
09-02-08, 20:26
I bought mine nearly 5 years ago when they first came out, and I am 100% confident in its reliabilty.

Having stated that, knowing what I know now, and with all of the current options available today, Im not sure I would go with the MRP if I was building up a new carbine today.

The quick change barrel feature of the MRP is not really useful unless you plan on swapping out barrels on a regular basis.

The MRP is heavier then most similarly configured upper receiver groups (with railed forend installed). And while the MRP's barrels are plenty accurate & durable, there are some barrel options that are more accurate (Lilja, Noveske SS), and have a longer service life (Noveske N4).

The standard direct impingement MRP's can be purchased for a good price of late due to LMT's recent price drop on the MRP's.

I will echo all of Nick's comments. I was in a Pat Rogers class and there were three MRPs (mine, another guy's and Jeff Gonzalez). They all seemed to work well but I don't have a 100% accurate picture of the other two since they were at the other end of the line.

Again, if you don't plan on swapping barrels, the MRP probably isn't for you and you're better off with a Vltor VIS. The barrels are good (always rumored to be Mike Rock blanks) but they aren't super accurate like the barrels Nick listed. They probably shoot better than the average barrel.

But, if you buy the upper you can buy different barrels and swap them in just a couple minutes. It also has tons of room for things on the rail like night vision and lasers. The barrels are heavy and you really can't find lighter ones unless you send MRP barrels off to get reprofiled.

Spooky

thetallengineer
09-02-08, 21:00
If Spooky is referring to the Brady class then I am the other guy with the MRP. I have about 2000 rds through mine most of which were fired in Pat's class. I haven't had a single issue and have been pleased with the accuracy. I run my MRP pretty well lubed and clean it after firing 500-600 rds. I'm sure it can go much longer without cleaning but that is just how I do things.

I got a very good deal on mine which definitely played a large factor in my decision. If I was buying another upper and only wanted one barrel length I'd probably go with either with a Noveske, BCM, or LMT upper.

No.6
09-02-08, 21:12
Extracted from an email conversation I've had with Jeff, he suggested to me either a Colt 6920 or a LMT M4 as the best choices, at least regarding weapons for his course. I would assume he made those two suggestions with an eye to reliability since his training classes are "round intensive".

Spooky130
09-02-08, 21:32
If Spooky is referring to the Brady class then I am the other guy with the MRP. I have about 2000 rds through mine most of which were fired in Pat's class. I haven't had a single issue and have been pleased with the accuracy. I run my MRP pretty well lubed and clean it after firing 500-600 rds. I'm sure it can go much longer without cleaning but that is just how I do things.

I got a very good deal on mine which definitely played a large factor in my decision. If I was buying another upper and only wanted one barrel length I'd probably go with either with a Noveske, BCM, or LMT upper.

That's the one. Couldn't remember if you were on this site or not.

Here are some pictures of my MRP after shooting it 1400 rounds in three days - no cleaning only lubing... No non-user induced malfunctions...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/Spooky130_photos/IMG_1146.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/Spooky130_photos/IMG_1142.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/Spooky130_photos/IMG_1141.jpg

Spooky

Rana
09-02-08, 21:34
Anyone taken one of Jeff's courses at Trident Concepts? I've seen two SWAT articles about him and every photo I've seen he is using a LMT MRP in SBR config. The MRP is at the top of the list for my next rifle and I was wondering what an ex-SEAL's opinion on it was. Anyone who has one please chime in as well, trying to gather as much info on the MRP as possible.

For the price of the MRP you can get 2 really good LMT standard uppers and put dedicated sights and or optics on each.

You could get a 10" w/ Aimpoint etc; for close work and a 16" for general purpose with a 1-4X (S&B, Spectre DR etc )

The MRP seems like a good idea on paper but it makes more sense to have 2 dedicated uppers for different uses.

That is the way my kit at at work is and it makes sense to be able to pull a 10" for close work or a 14"-16" for general purpose with all the extras already dialed in on each.

platypusREX
09-03-08, 02:09
That's the one. Couldn't remember if you were on this site or not.

Here are some pictures of my MRP after shooting it 1400 rounds in three days - no cleaning only lubing... No non-user induced malfunctions...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/Spooky130_photos/IMG_1146.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/Spooky130_photos/IMG_1142.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/Spooky130_photos/IMG_1141.jpg

Spooky
Disappointing.
That looks like no lube.

jhs1969
09-03-08, 11:36
For the price of the MRP you can get 2 really good LMT standard uppers and put dedicated sights and or optics on each.

You could get a 10" w/ Aimpoint etc; for close work and a 16" for general purpose with a 1-4X (S&B, Spectre DR etc )

The MRP seems like a good idea on paper but it makes more sense to have 2 dedicated uppers for different uses.

That is the way my kit at at work is and it makes sense to be able to pull a 10" for close work or a 14"-16" for general purpose with all the extras already dialed in on each.

This has now entered in my line of options, I was just talking with my wife that it may be cheaper and fit my needs/desires better to get a LMT/BCM upper and have a Larue free float rail added, Grant has some of these options on his site for around $700, matched with a LMT lower I've estimated a savings of around $500 compared to the MRP. Any thoughts on the Larue free float rails? I really want the QD sling points.

thetallengineer
09-03-08, 13:17
This has now entered in my line of options, I was just talking with my wife that it may be cheaper and fit my needs/desires better to get a LMT/BCM upper and have a Larue free float rail added, Grant has some of these options on his site for around $700, matched with a LMT lower I've estimated a savings of around $500 compared to the MRP. Any thoughts on the Larue free float rails? I really want the QD sling points.

LaRue rails are a good choice as is pretty much all of their other gear. I think the Daniel Defense rails might be a tad lighter but I could be wrong.

nickdrak
09-03-08, 15:56
LaRue rails are top quality. If you are going to go with a fixed front sight configuration, the Daniel Defense Omega rails are top shelf as well, and can be user installed in about 10-20minutes. A mid length BCM upper with a 9" Omega rail would be a top quality yet economical way to go. I would opt for the LaRue rail as I prefer the profile of the LaRue rail, but either one is a winner.

Spooky130
09-03-08, 17:51
Disappointing.
That looks like no lube.

That's a couple weeks after the class... It was lubed and ran well lubed!

Spooky

RAM Engineer
09-03-08, 19:03
Disappointing.
That looks like no lube.

I don't believe those are gouges inside the upper. They appear to be where carbon built up and then was scraped off by the reciprocating bolt.

they
09-04-08, 20:29
Scratches are...

silver coloured.

chp5
09-19-08, 11:50
Anyone taken one of Jeff's courses at Trident Concepts?

Not sure if you're only asking about the hardware or Jeff's courses. I've taken FoF, carbine operator and shooting on the move (carbine) with Jeff. His classes are excellent.

If you're set for hardware, I'd spend the money on Jeff's classes instead.