PDA

View Full Version : Gun Industry worker victim of NY Safe Act, need help

Hootiewho
07-21-16, 09:26
I am not in any way associated with this man or his employer. I saw this on ARF.com and it seems like this guy is in a tight spot. I contributed to his defense, but wanted to get the word out. If the Mods do not approve, I understand; delete it if so.

Here is the fundmealawyer page that has all the details.

https://www.fundedjustice.com/en/projects/32147-Jim-Jones-Defense-Fund

Basically Mr. Jones was moving to NH from FL over the 4th, stopped at a rest area in NY for a break and a NYS Trooper spotted gun stickers on his car and things went south. I do not know the particulars of what all transpired, but by all accounts Mr. Jones sounds like a solid dude and the '86 FOPA is suppose to keep this BS from happening. I'm not looking to get into what he shoulda coulda woulda done like the thread on ARF turned into, just looking to look out for our own when we can. If you are interested in MMQB'ing the guy, I believe all the angles have been covered in that other thread on TOS.

I am curious how the Trooper used the gun sticker as PC to search or if Jim gave permission. Regardless, he is looking at a life altering situation regardless of the outcome. If the Dude has the heart to help out pooches like the one pictured on that page, I had to chip in.

chuckman
07-21-16, 09:30
I am not in any way associated with this man or his employer. I saw this on ARF.com and it seems like this guy is in a tight spot. I contributed to his defense, but wanted to get the word out. If the Mods do not approve, I understand; delete it if so.

Here is the fundmealawyer page that has all the details.

https://www.fundedjustice.com/en/projects/32147-Jim-Jones-Defense-Fund

Basically Mr. Jones was moving to NH from FL over the 4th, stopped at a rest area in NY for a break and a NYS Trooper spotted gun stickers on his car and things went south. I do not know the particulars of what all transpired, but by all accounts Mr. Jones sounds like a solid dude and the '86 FOPA is suppose to keep this BS from happening. I'm not looking to get into what he shoulda coulda woulda done like the thread on ARF turned into, just looking to look out for our own when we can. If you are interested in MMQB'ing the guy, I believe all the angles have been covered in that other thread on TOS.

I am curious how the Trooper used the gun sticker as PC to search or if Jim gave permission. Regardless, he is looking at a life altering situation regardless of the outcome. If the Dude has the heart to help out pooches like the one pictured on that page, I had to chip in.

That sucks. Most definitely sucks. Among the many reasons I have nothing on my vehicles.

Hootiewho
07-21-16, 09:36
Yes it does. I put all my stickers on my safe. I've had my truck broken into twice, no need to advertise to the Boogers or another LEO who doesn't get it.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-21-16, 09:44
Sucks big time. Reason number 832 to not drive to or visit communist states. Stuff like this is also a reason I don't have any stickers for anything on my truck. As much as I would like to have a "Hillary for Prison", Magpul, BCM, NRA, TSRA, and Die Communist Scum stickers on my truck it's not worth the trouble.

ramairthree
07-21-16, 10:02
Outrageous.

Sounds like he was doing the up 81 through PA deal to avoid I95 and the cities.

This is not the first I have heard of NY, MA, and NJ completely blowing off the FOPA.

A few years ago I used to snicker at the tin foil guys talking about having to show your papers.

Somebody moving from NH to FL should be able to lock their stuff in their trunk and travel IAW the law and not end up like this.

I guess the Nazi/Commie states figure they win just by locking people up and generating legal fees and preventing them from going to work after a bunch of hassle for doing something legal.

The country is getting a very small, but very sour and undesirable taste, of a few pissed off people deciding they have had it with the law. And the country has done nothing but bend over backwards for that population.

I can't imagine LE wants a showdown with a bunch of pissed off productive citizens that are gun owners.
But it sure seems like somebody does.

wildcard600
07-21-16, 10:03
Just read through 9 pages of derp on barfcom and still haven't been able to find any details of what ACTUALLY went down. Sounds like a shitty deal on the surface, but for all we know this guy had 20 SCAR's sitting in the backseat fully primed with beta mags.

samuse
07-21-16, 10:09
I don't think he's protected under FOPA as he was a NY resident, and was caught in NY. Doesn't matter if he was leaving for good.

wildcard600
07-21-16, 10:13
I don't think he's protected under FOPA as he was a NY resident, and was caught in NY. Doesn't matter if he was leaving for good.

Guy was moving from FL.

Hootiewho
07-21-16, 10:14
Just read through 9 pages of derp on barfcom and still haven't been able to find any details of what ACTUALLY went down. Sounds like a shitty deal on the surface, but for all we know this guy had 20 SCAR's sitting in the backseat fully primed with beta mags.

Don't take this as an attack on you, but this needs to be said:

While true, I see him as one of us. At this point in the game, I don't really care what exactly went down, I am going to help him out. One trait we lack that the left has always shared is how quick we are to not stick together or throw another like us under the bus. He could have been any member here. Just like what happened with Augee on ARF.com. I had met Augee, when he lived in Charleston. A damn fine dude. If Jim had something in sight, consented to a search trying to be a nice guy, short of having a brick of cocaine or dead body in the trunk, I'm going to chip in. We really need to stick together.

wildcard600
07-21-16, 10:30

While true, I see him as one of us. At this point in the game, I don't really care what exactly went down, I am going to help him out. One trait we lack that the left has always shared is how quick we are to not stick together or throw another like us under the bus. He could have been any member here. Just like what happened with Augee on ARF.com. I had met Augee, when he lived in Charleston. A damn fine dude. If Jim had something in sight, consented to a search trying to be a nice guy, short of having a brick of cocaine or dead body in the trunk, I'm going to chip in. We really need to stick together.

I tend to agree, but as someone who has made the trek through NYS with firearms prohibited in NYS I made damn sure my stuff was unloaded, locked in a metal box inside a screwed together wooden crate inside a locked trailer. I had no intention of becoming a FOPA test case. If this guy didn't at least attempt to cover himself under FOPA (unloaded, locked, inaccessible) it changes the whole scenario.

We simply need more information.

jpmuscle
07-21-16, 11:00
It would figure a purple tie trooper is involved.

BoringGuy45
07-21-16, 12:07
It would figure a purple tie trooper is involved.

Some of the traditions of the NY State Police are kind of unnerving in a country that is supposed to be built on freedom. The reason for the purple in their uniform is to pay homage to the Roman Praetorian Guard. Most police agencies today wear blue in homage to Sir Robert Peel's police force, which was made up of gentleman who policed the community on behalf of the community. The NY State Police wear purple in honor of the secret police force that routinely rounded up and crucified supposed enemies of the Roman Empire. Purple, in Rome, represented royal despotism. My apologies to the NY state troopers who are honorable men and women who do NOT take part in unconstitutional activities, but to have purple in your uniform to honor the Praetorian Guard is the equivalent of having a badge shaped like an Iron Cross to honor the Gestapo. Seriously. It's only because of the 1,700 year gap that having a uniform that pays respect to the Praetorians isn't considered deplorable. Also, for the record, the Praetorian Guard was notoriously corrupt. For much of the imperial period, emperors only survived for as long as they were the ones offering the Guard the best salary; if some ambitious politician wanted to be emperor, all he had to do was offer to double the Guard's pay, and suddenly the current emperor's bodyguards became his executioners. Again, not a group of people with whom I would want to claim a connection.

As I said, there's a lot of good NYSP troopers out there. The good guys just want to protect against the real criminals and take their oath to the Constitution seriously. But the dangerous ones are the ladder climbers; the ones who have had their eyes on command positions ever since they graduated the academy. You aren't going to rise very fast if you're not a hardline backer of the governor's baby (the SAFE Act).

Firefly
07-21-16, 13:25
Yet some other dweeb trying to save the world by fcking over a working man in the hopes of an attaboy

Dollars to Donuts he has a personal, non-compliant AR of his own at home that is okay for him to have because he scratches tickets and does accident reports.

jpmuscle
07-21-16, 14:46
Some of the traditions of the NY State Police are kind of unnerving in a country that is supposed to be built on freedom. The reason for the purple in their uniform is to pay homage to the Roman Praetorian Guard. Most police agencies today wear blue in homage to Sir Robert Peel's police force, which was made up of gentleman who policed the community on behalf of the community. The NY State Police wear purple in honor of the secret police force that routinely rounded up and crucified supposed enemies of the Roman Empire. Purple, in Rome, represented royal despotism. My apologies to the NY state troopers who are honorable men and women who do NOT take part in unconstitutional activities, but to have purple in your uniform to honor the Praetorian Guard is the equivalent of having a badge shaped like an Iron Cross to honor the Gestapo. Seriously. It's only because of the 1,700 year gap that having a uniform that pays respect to the Praetorians isn't considered deplorable. Also, for the record, the Praetorian Guard was notoriously corrupt. For much of the imperial period, emperors only survived for as long as they were the ones offering the Guard the best salary; if some ambitious politician wanted to be emperor, all he had to do was offer to double the Guard's pay, and suddenly the current emperor's bodyguards became his executioners. Again, not a group of people with whom I would want to claim a connection.

As I said, there's a lot of good NYSP troopers out there. The good guys just want to protect against the real criminals and take their oath to the Constitution seriously. But the dangerous ones are the ladder climbers; the ones who have had their eyes on command positions ever since they graduated the academy. You aren't going to rise very fast if you're not a hardline backer of the governor's baby (the SAFE Act).
For sure. There are good LEOs in NYSP but the collective attitude of the agency towards enforcement is not one I condone whatsoever. Not as a citizen and certainly not as an LEO. I'm from NY and after all the sh*t they pulled during various events like the Bucky Phillips debacle, and just in general how they conduct themselves interacting with local LE I have no qualms in referring them to as the purple tie Gestapo.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160721/7fc16f90cad22ed5a9caaf231598852f.jpg

sidewaysil80
07-21-16, 15:37
I am curious how the Trooper used the gun sticker as PC to search or if Jim gave permission.

It wouldn't have been PC, it likely reasonable suspicion or reason for the Trooper to go talk to him. As far as searching vehicles goes whatever can been seen through the windows is considered plain sight and is not subject to needing consent or PC. For example if I get pulled over and in my car is a kilo of cocaine under a blanket that is partially in view, the officer now has PC to search my car and detain me. Now if it's fully concealed by the blanket, but the Officer THINKS and is pretty sure its cocaine, it doesn't matter. He would still need consent in that situation.

If a cop asks for permission to search he doesn't have anything or he would detain you and search. Most people just volunteer consent and as such we will usually ask. Right, wrong, or indifferent...thats the way it is. BUT, remember, if you consent you can REVOKE your consent at ANY time you want...if they continue it is now an illegal search and violation of your 4th Amendment Rights. The only exception would be if during the search they discovered something that now gives them PC to continue with or without consent. Also, the air around or outside your car is not protected. That is important as a dog can be legally deployed to sniff around and under your car. If it gets a hit that officer now has PC to get into your car. That has legal precedence due to the accuracy and documentation that Working K9's noses have.

Firefly
07-21-16, 15:50
Something I forgot to mention:

While we ostensibly live in a free(ish) country; bumper stickers and so forth are not a good thing to have.

I knew this one guy who said "If they have an Obama or Auburn sticker, they ass is getting a ticket"

and I recall saying "Wow, you're just saving the world that way, huh?"

Needless to say we weren't friends.

Just like guys who freak out if someone says they have a gun in the car. Like literally lose their shit.

Or guys who have already patted someone down and still won't let them put their hands in their pockets and it is like 29 degrees while they give a sermon and not going to/ can't make an arrest.

Just on a side note, I ask people "If you had to police butt ass naked, would you still act the same way?"

Probably wouldn't.

I would because IDGAF.

JasonB1
07-21-16, 16:47

Well that is neat. Do they work that in to their PR lore similar to how The National Guard is proud of being created by Charles I of England?

docsherm
07-21-16, 17:03
Well that is neat. Do they work that in to their PR lore similar to how The National Guard is proud of being created by Charles I of England?

No they just don't tell the entire truth about it.......this is my surprised face......

https://www.hallofgovernors.ny.gov/generic/state-police-exhibits

BoringGuy45
07-21-16, 18:57

What's your point?

1_click_off
07-21-16, 20:49
He will need another gofundme for getting his gear out of the evidence locker. He might have been able to set the goal higher than 5k for that! I wish you could just click on it, send it with PP and be done.

JasonB1
07-21-16, 20:52
What's your point?

I was asking a question since I had never heard that about NYSP before.

nml
07-21-16, 21:34
He will need another gofundme for getting his gear out of the evidence locker.oh he is never getting his property back. This is to find a lawyer and avoid a felony conviction and prison time.

BoringGuy45
07-21-16, 21:44
I was asking a question since I had never heard that about NYSP before.

Okay, sorry, I misread that.

Yeah, in ancient times, purple dye was rare and extremely expensive. Only the richest and most powerful people in the world could afford it. It was often considered more valuable than gold. Wearing purple signified that you had money and the power to be an absolute ruler. The Praetorians probably wore more of a maroon rather than the shade of purple found on the NYSP's tie, as clothing an entire legion in true purple would likely have bankrupted the Empire. Only the emperor and his family could afford true purple. But nonetheless, the color has been associated with the Praetorian Guard for centuries, and the Praetorian Guard is considered to be the outfit that pretty much ruled the empire. Often the general in charge of the Praetorians was considered more powerful than the emperor himself.

As I said, the NYSP hinting at connection to them suggests an environment where they view themselves as unquestioned rulers of the people rather than serving on behalf of the people.

SteyrAUG
07-21-16, 22:19
If you have a gun and are a law abiding individual, at NO TIME should you ever enter the state of NY, CA or any other communist stronghold if you have firearms. No amount of driving around a communist shithole is in any was as inconvenient as what they will put you through even if you are eventually exonerated.

FOPA doesn't mean anything to NY. Not trying to blame the victim here, but he really should have known better, especially having worked in the firearms industry. I hope everything works out for the best, in a perfect world he would be able to sue for wrongful arrest.

nml
07-22-16, 01:40
Cali and Oregon are one thing but how are you supposed to get to Vermont new hampshire or maine? They are landlocked by commie states.

SteyrAUG
07-22-16, 03:10
Cali and Oregon are one thing but how are you supposed to get to Vermont new hampshire or maine? They are landlocked by commie states.

Boat. Just float around that bullshit.

Iraqgunz
07-22-16, 03:21
It's real simple. You follow the law. That means no items prohibited in the state, weapons are unloaded and secured per the law and you do not consent to any searches.

I refuse searches even in gun friendly states. I also don't engage in friendly roadside conversations.

Moose-Knuckle
07-22-16, 03:56
Yes this is all bovine feces but is yet another reminder why I rum my POVs smooth, no stickers of any sort but especially firearm/tactical related.

Eurodriver
07-22-16, 05:30
Why can his lawyer not tell the judge "FOPA" and be on his way?

this is exactly how most of us will be arrested after the 2017 Crime Bill passed. Everyone envisions door to door searches, but enough of this and no ones gonna step outside with a prohibited firearm ever again.

Law enforcement gonna enforce the law.

JasonB1
07-22-16, 05:31
Okay, sorry, I misread that.

Yeah, in ancient times, purple dye was rare and extremely expensive. Only the richest and most powerful people in the world could afford it. It was often considered more valuable than gold. Wearing purple signified that you had money and the power to be an absolute ruler. The Praetorians probably wore more of a maroon rather than the shade of purple found on the NYSP's tie, as clothing an entire legion in true purple would likely have bankrupted the Empire. Only the emperor and his family could afford true purple. But nonetheless, the color has been associated with the Praetorian Guard for centuries, and the Praetorian Guard is considered to be the outfit that pretty much ruled the empire. Often the general in charge of the Praetorians was considered more powerful than the emperor himself.

As I said, the NYSP hinting at connection to them suggests an environment where they view themselves as unquestioned rulers of the people rather than serving on behalf of the people.

That is cool they are somewhat upfront about it then.

rocsteady
07-22-16, 07:14
I tend to agree, but as someone who has made the trek through NYS with firearms prohibited in NYS I made damn sure my stuff was unloaded, locked in a metal box inside a screwed together wooden crate inside a locked trailer. I had no intention of becoming a FOPA test case. If this guy didn't at least attempt to cover himself under FOPA (unloaded, locked, inaccessible) it changes the whole scenario.

We simply need more information.

This is where the left just crushes us; if the roles were reversed, there would already be hundreds, if not thousands of protesters disrupting the lives of everyone trying to work in and around wherever this guy is being held. Try to take away something that the left isn't even guaranteed and they rise up like the whole existence of the planet is at stake. Just imagine if the left was losing something of actual value to them. The only time I felt right about us was when over 5,000 of us protested on the governor's lawn when the SAFE act was shoved through. What we should have done, and should do now, is flood the area around this man's jail and disrupt the business day for the whole town. The trouble, of course, comes in when most of the real Americans that feel like I do have to deal with jobs and creating the time to go and protest, make a show of force. Much easier for the left and their endless supply of FSA minions.

Be honest, all of us have taken a day or more off of work to do things that are far less important and far less impactful than standing up for the Constitutional rights of another American.

rocsteady
07-22-16, 07:22
Little strange though, as I look at the map. Guy went left when NH was to the right. I'd think it would be job one to get out of New Yorkistan, out of occupied territory and find a place to crash back in America. Wouldn't it have been more sensible to go more along the coast and through CT and Mass rather than up through NY, even if the thought of avoiding 95 and the bigger cities was appealing?

JasonB1
07-22-16, 08:01
Little strange though, as I look at the map. Guy went left when NH was to the right. I'd think it would be job one to get out of New Yorkistan, out of occupied territory and find a place to crash back in America. Wouldn't it have been more sensible to go more along the coast and through CT and Mass rather than up through NY, even if the thought of avoiding 95 and the bigger cities was appealing?

Considering New York extends from Canada to the Atlantic, how can it be avoided if commuting to/from the upper New England states?

Arik
07-22-16, 08:08
If you have a gun and are a law abiding individual, at NO TIME should you ever enter the state of NY, CA or any other communist stronghold if you have firearms. No amount of driving around a communist shithole is in any was as inconvenient as what they will put you through even if you are eventually exonerated.

FOPA doesn't mean anything to NY. Not trying to blame the victim here, but he really should have known better, especially having worked in the firearms industry. I hope everything works out for the best, in a perfect world he would be able to sue for wrongful arrest.
Bingo! When I go see a buddy in upstate Pa .....literally on the boarder with NYS. ...I can go the fast an easy way through Pa, into NYS and back into Pa. It's all highway and the last one boarders the state lines. Instead I drive through little dilapidated towns and shitty roads to stay in Pa.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rocsteady
07-22-16, 08:17
Considering New York extends from Canada to the Atlantic, how can it be avoided if commuting to/from the upper New England states?

Google map Florida to NH and it takes you through the smallest section of NY possible. May not be the fastest if you hit during rush hour, but a little planning and going through in the evening/night and it would be my choice if I was doing what this poor bastard did.

J-Dub
07-22-16, 08:21
Something I forgot to mention:

While we ostensibly live in a free(ish) country; bumper stickers and so forth are not a good thing to have.

I knew this one guy who said "If they have an Obama or Auburn sticker, they ass is getting a ticket"

and I recall saying "Wow, you're just saving the world that way, huh?"

Needless to say we weren't friends.

Just like guys who freak out if someone says they have a gun in the car. Like literally lose their shit.

Or guys who have already patted someone down and still won't let them put their hands in their pockets and it is like 29 degrees while they give a sermon and not going to/ can't make an arrest.

Just on a side note, I ask people "If you had to police butt ass naked, would you still act the same way?"

Probably wouldn't.

I would because IDGAF.

You must've been God's gift to law enforcement huh? Please tell us more about how much better you were than everyone, I'm sitting on the edge of seat!!!! More stories that have nothing to do with the topic at hand! Tell us that knee slapper about Barney again...

Honu
07-22-16, 08:23
I might be the odd guy out ?

dont see him as my own maybe a good guy but I don't know the guy and the folks I hang out with would be smarter than that ESPECIALLY if one worked in the industry !!!!
and as said have the things so packed away and no whats up etc...
to many folks willing to pay money to people when he should take care of himself financially and legally and have been way smarter in moving !!!!! also to many scammers etc..
again could be a great guy but if you work in a industry and then do things like this something just seems strange to me
everything he owned ? fit in a car ? again something not sounding right about this
bummer for the guy but something is funny IMHO

JasonB1
07-22-16, 08:26
Google map Florida to NH and it takes you through the smallest section of NY possible. May not be the fastest if you hit during rush hour, but a little planning and going through in the evening/night and it would be my choice if I was doing what this poor bastard did.

So it will help if targeted in that area how?

J-Dub
07-22-16, 08:31

Well with CIA training you should be clandestine enough to make it through no problem. Even if being actively targeted.

Firefly
07-22-16, 08:40
You must've been God's gift to law enforcement huh? Please tell us more about how much better you were than everyone, I'm sitting on the edge of seat!!!! More stories that have nothing to do with the topic at hand! Tell us that knee slapper about Barney again...

I'm saying that a lot of people put a lot of personal emotions into how they conduct business. Stickers can get you unwanted/unwarranted attention.

It was mentioned that PC was established via gun stickers.

And I'm not all that great, I've just run across a bunch of duds in my day.

Lighten up.

JasonB1
07-22-16, 09:01
Well with CIA training you should be clandestine enough to make it through no problem. Even if being actively targeted.

I assume CIA agents would have at least the same privileges and immunities police do so why would they need to sneak around where they would be welcomed with open arms?

Hootiewho
07-22-16, 09:03
Yes Sir, I understand that. I'm a reserve leo myself. I was just going under the assumption that most likely he either consented trying to be a good guy or that the LEO was over reaching. Also assuming since the guy was moving all his belongings, his gun stuff was cased, as woulf be mine. I realize that is a lot of assuming and no hard facts, but I have read of two recent incidents where a cop in a ban state supposedly used pro 2a or gun mfg stickers for pc to search a car. I think one was in MA or NJ and the other CA. I would have to do some digging to find them. I believe one was thrown out, not sure on the other.

I am also just stating that it is a possibility that an over zealous NYST could have done just that, especially in light of NY's stance on 2A and the recent big push/buzz of antigun noise. Only mentioned it as a possibility.

Eta, I was trying to quote an earlier poster and failed. Hope that makes this post make more sense.

rocsteady
07-22-16, 09:37

I'm just saying to keep your exposure to a minimum, get through as quickly as possible and don't stop if you don't have to. Just a thought as I try to piece together how he went wrong. Bottom line is that you shouldn't have to feel like you're running moonshine during prohibition to travel from state to state right?

Hootiewho
07-22-16, 09:38
Another thought is sometimes those who work around a lot of mil/le but are not so themselves get the impression that because the officers they interact with are GTG, every LEO will be that way toward them. So it is totally possible he had something out in the open or screwed himself in that manner due to having this outlook on things. Like a cops wife who gets busted for speeding thinking her being a cop's wife and all, that any other leo will give her the pass. That could have totally been the case.

Like I mentioned, I really don't care the circumstance so much as I hate to see the guy jammed up on what I view as an unconstitutional law. That was my reason for posting and for sending him a little scratch. He was/is a working, contributing member of society who is now in a terrible situation for something we take for granted in other states.

I would do the same for any member here.

rocsteady
07-22-16, 09:39

And again, point is we shouldn't have to sneak around anywhere with lawfully owned firearms, correct? I'm saying it's just flat wrong on the face of the whole thing.

rocsteady
07-22-16, 09:43
So I'm about three hours from Schenectady or whatever it's called; is anyone closer that could get a first hand account of this thing? If it's as bad as it's made out to be, I'd be willing to take a day and go voice my displeasure and support his, no "OUR" cause.

JasonB1
07-22-16, 09:50
I'm just saying to keep your exposure to a minimum, get through as quickly as possible and don't stop if you don't have to. Just a thought as I try to piece together how he went wrong. Bottom line is that you shouldn't have to feel like you're running moonshine during prohibition to travel from state to state right?

Why shouldn't someone feel that way if doing something they don't have privileges to do?

rocsteady
07-22-16, 09:55
Why shouldn't someone feel that way if doing something they don't have privileges to do?

Either I'm confused, or you are. The general idea is that it shouldn't be a privilege to travel around America with firearms that you lawfully own. Are you getting that part or do you think it's right to have to ask permission to move about the country? I mean with that pesky 2nd Amendment and all that which is supposed to protect American citizens. It's okay with you for something protected by the Constitution to be followed in one state and contradicted and overruled by another state's politicians?

JasonB1
07-22-16, 09:59
Either I'm confused, or you are. The general idea is that it shouldn't be a privilege to travel around America with firearms that you lawfully own. Are you getting that part or do you think it's right to have to ask permission to move about the country? I mean with that pesky 2nd Amendment and all that which is supposed to protect American citizens. It's okay with you for something protected by the Constitution to be followed in one state and contradicted and overruled by another state's politicians?

I have yet to see where at any point in time or place in this country that firearms ownership has been protected. Quite the opposite.

rocsteady
07-22-16, 10:01
I have yet to see where at any point in time or place in this country that firearms ownership has been protected. Quite the opposite.

Okay then. Real pleasure talking at you. Have a great day.

wildcard600
07-22-16, 10:02
So I'm about three hours from Schenectady or whatever it's called; is anyone closer that could get a first hand account of this thing? If it's as bad as it's made out to be, I'd be willing to take a day and go voice my displeasure and support his, no "OUR" cause.

I looked around for a couple of hours yesterday but couldn't find much info other than what is posted in this thread. The thread on TOS is now temp locked and the NYSP website didn't seem to have the arrest posted. A member on TOS alluded to the fact that this was NOT an example of LE overreach but did not elaborate due to pending litigation.

tb-av
07-22-16, 10:36
Here is what I am guessing happened.

The guy was tired, he decides to take a nap but knowing the nature of some rest stops he keeps a weapon near at hand... iow.... not per FOPA. so the LEO sees an easy mark. Wakes him up, and in that state of mind at least a gun is noted. Either visual or by asking questions.

Something sounds fishy about the whole deal. Where is the NRA in this and also I would get someone on the phone to these guys.... https://www.rutherford.org/

ramairthree
07-22-16, 11:06
I think some here fail to understand basic geography.

You cannot get into Vermont, Maine, or New Hampshire without going through NY, or Mass., etc.

And boating, private air, Canadian smuggler routes are not free uninhibited travel.

Many have taken the NY to 81 or whatever route to avoid major I95 city route. I have done it a dozen times either way in the past thirty years.

NY already has a record of hassling legal FOPA transit.

This could easily be some guy stationed at Bragg or Benning with a trunk load of guns he inherited from grand dad in Maine. Or picking up his own stuff from where he enlisted.

It could be any of you. The off duty NC LEO with an AR in the trunk on a ski trip with relatives in VT. The guy on the way back from a match in NH.

Sure. I don't have stickers. But the LEO running my plates may go on a fishing trip for a CCW permit ping, etc.

Legal gun owners get singled out while Muslim MAMs are not hassled to avoid hurting their feelings and armed felons with violent records shot resisting arrest are "victims."

I hate to sound all tin foil,
But I am recently coming to the conclusion somebody actually wants Muslim terrorist actions, a race war, and gun owners picking off LEOs BLM style here.

HeruMew
07-22-16, 11:35
Okay then. Real pleasure talking at you. Have a great day.

I was awaiting the day this troll got unbanned.

Jason, you're really not wanted here. Every one of your comments is a snide, snarky, "har-har", in-your-face rhetoric based melarky.

You're here purely as our live-in devil's advocate. We get it, you don't think firearms are protected, you've voiced concern in other threads about CCW, and a plethora of other things to intentionally ruse our members.

Shame on you.

At least Roc did the good thing by blowing you off. Hopefully, soon enough, your shenanigans will be seen again and your next ban will be a permanent one. I simply have no patience for you after the multiple threads I have already had to comment with you on.

Everyone is free to an opinion, but when you're here to purely instigate things and, maybe not much in this thread, put words in people's mouths, that gets old fast. Let's remember why you were removed the first time.

On the topic: Supposing the story is as it is provided, and he was following FOPA, hopefully he can use that and have this nonsense dropped. I noticed earlier someone mentioned that as a NY citizen, it may exclude him. If that's the case, I certainly feel sorry for him.

Nonetheless, this will end up bad financially for him, it's probably going to be a long fight any which way.

JasonB1
07-22-16, 11:58
I was awaiting the day this troll got unbanned.

Jason, you're really not wanted here. Every one of your comments is a snide, snarky, "har-har", in-your-face rhetoric based melarky.

You're here purely as our live-in devil's advocate. We get it, you don't think firearms are protected, you've voiced concern in other threads about CCW, and a plethora of other things to intentionally ruse our members.

Shame on you.

At least Roc did the good thing by blowing you off. Hopefully, soon enough, your shenanigans will be seen again and your next ban will be a permanent one. I simply have no patience for you after the multiple threads I have already had to comment with you on.

Everyone is free to an opinion, but when you're here to purely instigate things and, maybe not much in this thread, put words in people's mouths, that gets old fast. Let's remember why you were removed the first time.

On the topic: Supposing the story is as it is provided, and he was following FOPA, hopefully he can use that and have this nonsense dropped. I noticed earlier someone mentioned that as a NY citizen, it may exclude him. If that's the case, I certainly feel sorry for him.

Nonetheless, this will end up bad financially for him, it's probably going to be a long fight any which way.

Nothing snarky or har har.

Care to show me where firearms possession by a civilian is considered inviolate by official agencies?

Dist. Expert 26
07-22-16, 12:19
Jason, go away. Seriously.

Back on topic, I'm interested to read the arrest report and see exactly how this went down. If it turns out to be LE overreach he should take them to the cleaners.

Irish
07-22-16, 13:35
Is there an arrest report or a news story relating to this? I can't find one but there is a James Gavin Jones, age 54, in the Schenectady County Jail. The picture matches what's shown on the FundMe page.
https://vinelink.com/VineAppWebService/api/photo/?siteId=33004&agency=446&sid=130758478&imageType=front&subjectType=Offender&language=en

nml
07-22-16, 13:52
Boat. Just float around that bullshit.Sounds best to me. Though I'd check with USCG first.

glocktogo
07-22-16, 14:05
Sucks big time. Reason number 832 to not drive to or visit communist states. Stuff like this is also a reason I don't have any stickers for anything on my truck. As much as I would like to have a "Hillary for Prison", Magpul, BCM, NRA, TSRA, and Die Communist Scum stickers on my truck it's not worth the trouble.

So what you're essentially saying, is that armed government agents working for unconstitutional regimes are infringing on your 1st Amendment rights, with active threats to your liberty? :confused:

cbx
07-22-16, 14:06
Lol......this made my day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he's that guy....

J-Dub
07-22-16, 14:08
And again, point is we shouldn't have to sneak around anywhere with lawfully owned firearms, correct? I'm saying it's just flat wrong on the face of the whole thing.

Oh, no sorry that post was directed directly to mr. JasonB, not your avg gun owner.

HCM
07-23-16, 18:56
So has anyone established the facts in this case?

Was he:

1) NH resident Moving to FL
2) FL Moving to NH
3 NY resident moving out of state ?

If 1 or 2 FOPA should apply.

If 3, I think the dude is done.

Regardless, it doesn't pay to advertise.

Falar
08-04-16, 11:08

What happened to Augee?

I'm hoping this turns out to be a test case for FOPA and even lead to the downfall of the SAFE act.

Hootiewho
08-04-16, 12:41
What happened to Augee?

I'm hoping this turns out to be a test case for FOPA and even lead to the downfall of the SAFE act.

Here is part of it

http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/news-brief/soldier-gets-confiscated-guns-back-from-washington-d-c/

Falar
08-04-16, 12:44
Here is part of it

http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/news-brief/soldier-gets-confiscated-guns-back-from-washington-d-c/

Ahh, our nation's capitol.

Such a fine place.

jpmuscle
08-04-16, 13:57
Ahh, our nation's capitol.

Such a fine place.
Don't ever go there. It's a terrible terrible place.

nml
08-04-16, 15:36
I like it. Every time I am there it is like visiting China. Lots of sights to see and only the police, criminals and rich people's bodyguards have guns.

glocktogo
08-04-16, 16:08
I like it. Every time I am there it is like visiting China. Lots of sights to see and only the police, criminals and rich criminal's bodyguards have guns.

Fify. :(