PDA

View Full Version : Need help with selecting airsoft rifles for my boys

sva01
07-21-16, 12:46
Hi all,
I'm not an airsoft guy but my 10 and 12 year old boys want to buy themselves airsoft rifles and I'm coming to you guys for help.
I see a bunch of $30 range, single shot, spring guns with mixed reviews. I then see the $150 and up electric guns with better reviews.
Can you guys recommend any rifles that would be worthwhile? Any particulars to look for or steer away from? Like the Colt, DD, BCM, Sionics, list are there certain manufacturers that have a proven track record of quality and then customer service should you need it?

Thanks! I feel like I'm going down a rabbit hole...

Eurodriver
07-21-16, 13:18
Paging SteyrAUG and Tokyo Mauri.

Outlander Systems
07-21-16, 13:31
Tokyo Marui = The Colt/BCM of Airsoft.

wildcard600
07-21-16, 13:35
Back in the late 90's when I messed around with airsoft Mauri was considered by many to be "top tier". No idea if that is still true however.

Just like BB and pellet guns, your going to get what you pay for. A single shot spring action (cock for each shot) will probably cost you $60-100 for a good one. Electric or green gas powered autos will run you in the $250-500 range.

SteyrAUG
07-21-16, 16:44
Tokyo Marui = The Colt/BCM of Airsoft.

Thread.

I would only add that this is an EXCELLENT time to teach the four rules. Before, during and after "playtime" make sure they handle them just like real firearms with respect to gun safety.

During "force on force" training (aka shootouts) be 100% no exceptions about eye pro. And make sure they realize that they are not violating Rule #2 or #3 because they are sure of their target and do intend to shoot it. But don't let them violate those rules when not engaged, don't let them randomly point their airsoft guns at each other in the house, or at the dog, etc. Help them define "engaged" vs. "not engaged" and how to handle their weapons accordingly. Don't make it too much like boot camp that they can't have any fun, but make sure they understand the distinction and get them to adopt the four rules.

You can tell them that is how Navy Seals do things or whatever you think will sell. You can also do shooting drills with stages set up if your back yard is big enough. This way they can practice some "shoot and move" training. For targets simply use a shapie to draw a circle around a quarter on a blank sheet of paper.

If their friends get involved, the more the merrier, just make sure everyone knows the "rules of the field."

JC5188
07-21-16, 16:50
Yeah I had I think it was a aftermath kirinex for about a month...180 Bucks iirc. I would NOT want to shoot a small pet at close range. And it was nowhere near the "BCM" of airsoft. That f'er would welt your ass up.

Like Steyr said, all rules of safety must apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital_Damage
07-21-16, 16:51
we always rolled with classic army

http://www.classicarmy.com/product/ca105m_t

Firefly
07-21-16, 16:55
I'm a grown ass man but part of me wants an Airsoft VSS to keep the cats out my garbage.

Jellybean
07-21-16, 17:03
I know where you can find one.... ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?185092-High-End-Airsoft-Mk18-Airsoft-1911

But yeah, what has pretty much been said; TM is pretty much still toward the top.... HOWEVER....
The G&G makes some decent cheap-ish entry level models (180-200 range)
G&P is good mid-high end stuff
Krytac is apparently pretty great as well.

If you're running electric (AEG) you WANT a "crane" stock (looks like a B5/LMT SOPMOD) with the battery wires running into it with "deans" connectors, for ease of battery use/compatibility.

Depending how long-term serious you guys are about this sport.... you need to consider the total investment.
Is this a passing "back yard fun" thing? Are you going to a field to play? How old are the kids?

If you go the AEG route, you will need the gun, a decent battery (something in the 9+ volt range), a charger for battery, magazines (and a magazine loader if midcaps [which are totally the best, screw the "tactical-maraca" high-caps. :laugh:] ), and BBs of a reasonable brand and weight (NOT SHITTY WALMART BBS!!!).
But before you shoot the gun a lot, you will need to bust the guts open, and grease and shim all the internal gears, or you're going to wear everything out in short order....
A great father/son mid-term project if they're interested and can hold still for a few hours (and you aren't one of those people that hears the *ping* of death when playing with mechanical things...)

If you go to a gas gun, there's a little less internal work to be done, no batteries and chargers, just make sure you get the right gas, and then mags are like $30 to 40 a pop, and they are usually "low cap" (ie, 30 rounds or so- generally only recommended if you want extra realism badly, or are a bit more competent than the spray and pray crowd, and willing to play at a disadvantage).
If I recall correctly KWA does/did make a decently priced decent quality entry gas M4.

A final word- everything in the airsoft world is made in china/pick an asian country, and generally it's all shit. Which is generally a good reason to go with the all-metal stuff, just for durability sake.
IF you buy any aftermarket upgrades (like a different rail or something) be prepared to do a little work to make it work...

Also- EYE PRO!
Also also.... depending on age of your kids/ field rules- if you go to a field, you may need/ want "full seal" eye pro (aka, goggles), (if it's a "cqb" field or there are buildings you want full seal- ricochets to the face are a bitch...) and some will make you (especially if kids under a certain age) wear a lower face mask/shield.
Also also also.... if your kid is kind of... younger, or the more..sensitive... type, you may not want to take them to a CQB field full of wannabe high speed operators on day 1....
Some of them are really nice guys (and a LOT of ex-mil in this community), but your kid will be getting multi-tapped at point blank. A lot. :laugh:

Per the "welts"- you may need to invest in an airsoft chronograph- your rifle should be running under 400 FPS, or someone's gonna get hurt, especially if running at CQB range...
If you go to a field they will chrono your gun there, and you will NOT be allowed on if you're over whatever the field limit is.
If your gun is shooting to high, you need to either shoot a few hundred rounds on your own and hope it settles in (most guns will naturally drop a few FPS after initial use), or if still high, change a spring or two.

Oh, and don't forget to "zero" your gun with the "hop-up" or you'll never hit anything.

Outlander Systems
07-21-16, 17:03
When I was much younger I had a Classic Army MP5SD and it was slicker'an a minnow's pecker. Back then, they were the only company offering steel/aluminum rigs.

+1 to everything SteyrAUG said. My daughter loves her M&P6mm. Outstanding training aid, and great for backyard shooting.

Eyepro, dude. And test it before you let them shoot each other. Don't even think about letting them do it without eye pro.

In college, a buddy did a mag-dump on me, shirtless, so I could impress a chick. ****ing shit will absolutely leave welts.

Outlander Systems
07-21-16, 17:06
College buddy could light squirrels up, regularly, with an Airsoft rifle, at up to 50m, while in full sprint. They will absolutely act as a disusassive element to uninvited critters.

I'm a grown ass man but part of me wants an Airsoft VSS to keep the cats out my garbage.

SteyrAUG
07-21-16, 17:09

Yeah, it doesn't have to be Tokyo Maru. I imagine there are probably several decent options now. Main thing you want is electronic (spring loaded single shot is a toy) action with decent feedback (look up feedbacks on Amazon for a given model) and a well made 1:1 size with decent weight.

And as somebody said, while these aren't as bad as pellet guns, they do sting a tad and leave a mark. You want long sleeves and pants, maybe even a Delta looking skateboard helmet that covers the ears. This isn't something for shorts, t shirts and flipflops. Kiddie BDUs would probably be a lot of fun for them. You can even order them with correct name tapes.

Outlander Systems
07-21-16, 17:10
Side note: someone recommend me a Glock 17 airsoft pistol.

Firefly
07-21-16, 17:12
That's my plan when I get some money free...

Get me an Airsoft Vintorez and pop some pussies

-pfft- -pfft- -pfft-
"MRREAOOOOOW!"

Jellybean
07-21-16, 17:26

Airsoft guns work extremely well for non-lethal pest control of annoying neighbors and their pets...;)

SteyrAUG
07-21-16, 17:35
Airsoft guns work extremely well for non-lethal pest control of annoying neighbors and their pets...;)

I used to use paintball, that way when fluffy came home covered in 30 rainbow flavors people might think about controlling where fluffy goes. But it was always a PITA to keep charged tanks and have things ready to go.

Airsoft would be much easier, in fact, I think I need one again.

Jellybean
07-21-16, 17:42

Echo 1 Timberwolf or KWA ATP will get you something Glock-ish. Pretty sure you can get the gay M4 FH off the Echo 1... :laugh:
Also, these will likely not fit a standard G17 holster.

According to a friend more in the know about airsoft stuff, Glock has put the hammer down on all replicas of it's guns in the US.
So... good luck.

KSC and Tokyo Marui *had* excellent G17 clones, I do not know current availability- be very wary if you find one new on a retail site- you may never get it (customs I assume, or some companies plain won't risk shipping it here. Or so I've heard.)

I used to use paintball, that way when fluffy came home covered in 30 rainbow flavors people might think about controlling where fluffy goes. But it was always a PITA to keep charged tanks and have things ready to go.

Airsoft would be much easier, in fact, I think I need one again.

Exactly the reason I quit PB in the first place- better realism/crossover with my real boomstick, and ease of use, as well as cleanliness. Old paintballs stink, and there are some clothes I have that I have never gotten that awful smell out of.

BrigandTwoFour
07-21-16, 17:43
I played paintball competitively in South Florida for most of my middle school/high school years. I picked up a TM M16A2 right at the end of high school and played a few games in the woods of Flamingo Rd just south of Plantation (if I recall). It was awesome.

I still have that rifle, but it sits in my home-built gear crate as a filler for a real rifle (I built a little rifle rack into the crate). I haven't actually shot it in years, but I do use it to teach newbies fundamentals before taking them to the range and letting them shoot the real thing.

sva01
07-21-16, 17:53
Thanks guys!
We shoot real guns enough that they know all about the 4 rules of responsible gun handling and my commitment to seeing them adhered to. For my family, rule 5 and 6 are ear and eye pro. Guns are not discharged without eye and ear protection as this can also have life altering consuquences.
Obviously, airsoft will probably not require ear pro but full goggles are what I make them wear for their current cheap little 1911 pistol wars.
As I was afraid of, some of the high end rifles are intriguing for the old man...

Outlander Systems
07-21-16, 17:57
Roger that. Thanks for the heads up.

I'd like to run firing from retention drills in the garage until I puke, and that would be GLORIOUS.

I'd buy your Mk18 clone rightch meow, if I didn't have as many irons in the fire as I do.

Echo 1 Timberwolf or KWA ATP will get you something Glock-ish. Pretty sure you can get the gay M4 FH off the Echo 1... :laugh:
Also, these will likely not fit a standard G17 holster.

According to a friend more in the know about airsoft stuff, Glock has put the hammer down on all replicas of it's guns in the US.
So... good luck.

KSC and Tokyo Marui *had* excellent G17 clones, I do not know current availability- be very wary if you find one new on a retail site- you may never get it (customs I assume, or some companies plain won't risk shipping it here. Or so I've heard.)

Exactly the reason I quit PB in the first place- better realism/crossover with my real boomstick, and ease of use, as well as cleanliness. Old paintballs stink, and there are some clothes I have that I have never gotten that awful smell out of.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-21-16, 19:51
I had a Classic Army M14 I believe probably 10-15 years ago and a couple of gas pistols. Was a lot of fun, and they held up. I don't know what is what anymore, but it is something I plan to get back into when my boy is of age. Good luck!

HardToHandle
07-21-16, 20:09

I have a well used KSC G19, pot metal, and an all plastic Toyko Marui G26 for trainers. Unfortunately they have incompatible magazines.

Of the two, the plastic TM G26 is the most impressive. Similar balance and weight with the mag in. Same dimensions for holsters. The trigger is amazingly Glock like, almost as lousy as my real Glock trigger. Direct from Japan was about $120, which is excellent for a basement trainer.

Digital_Damage
07-22-16, 07:24

Glock sued to get all imports blocked years ago, supply is limited. I have a G18 that is 9 years old and still ticking.