PDA

View Full Version : Steyr handguns?

Slater
07-21-16, 12:58
Steyr seems to be somewhat "under the radar" when it comes to handguns. How do they stack up in the accuracy/reliability department?

HeruMew
07-21-16, 13:13
The search function has a lot of old topics about this, here is a pretty decent one:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?99962-Steyr-M9A1-vs-Glock-17

Rayrevolver
07-21-16, 17:16
BLUF: More accurate than Glock and less reliable.

I bought one of the cheap CDNN guns in 2008. Using logs and memory, so if you find my posts from a few years ago hopefully I am consistent! Everything I am talking about is with respect to he older, original M9A1 (2002-2006).

Reliability:
3205 rounds, 6-7 FTE malfunctions (3 with same mag, same session). First 580 rounds were issue free. Between 580-680 I had the 3 FTEs in one session. 1 FTE in the next 1000 rounds during a class where I shot almost 600 rounds in 2 days.

It was replaced in 2009 by a G26 for CCW, which has been 100%.

Accuracy:
You can get used to the trap sights and I would say accuracy is better than Glock but I can't prove it. Maybe next range trip I will bring it out and shoot at 25 yards.

Dynamics:
In 2012 and 2013 I was mostly shooting either a M&P9Pro or G34, but one IDPA match in each of those years I used the Steyr for shits. The thing I remember most was how fast, flat, and easy it recoiled. But yeah, since 2012 I have shot it 2 times.

Other stuff:
A guy named Big Taco sells kits (called glide-rite $12) for these older guns to alleviate the trigger stacking. It happened to me every 75 rounds or so. Would just manifest as a heavy pull.

My only real beef (outside of the FTEs) is the mag release. Its tough to operate the button quickly.

Some mags had wrong/bad springs - Steyr replaced for free back in the day. The biggie is poor ejection. Other folks had much worse luck and attributed it to ejector springs.

If you want a G19 sized Austrian gun... get the G19. If you are bored and want to switch things up, keep the G19 and find a cheap M9A1 and see what you think. Or try the new L9A1, which I see used for $450.

yugo308guy
07-21-16, 18:50
BLUF: More accurate than Glock and less reliable.

I bought one of the cheap CDNN guns in 2008. Using logs and memory, so if you find my posts from a few years ago hopefully I am consistent! Everything I am talking about is with respect to he older, original M9A1 (2002-2006).

Reliability:
3205 rounds, 6-7 FTE malfunctions (3 with same mag, same session). First 580 rounds were issue free. Between 580-680 I had the 3 FTEs in one session. 1 FTE in the next 1000 rounds during a class where I shot almost 600 rounds in 2 days.

It was replaced in 2009 by a G26 for CCW, which has been 100%.

Accuracy:
You can get used to the trap sights and I would say accuracy is better than Glock but I can't prove it. Maybe next range trip I will bring it out and shoot at 25 yards.

Dynamics:
In 2012 and 2013 I was mostly shooting either a M&P9Pro or G34, but one IDPA match in each of those years I used the Steyr for shits. The thing I remember most was how fast, flat, and easy it recoiled. But yeah, since 2012 I have shot it 2 times.

Other stuff:
A guy named Big Taco sells kits (called glide-rite $12) for these older guns to alleviate the trigger stacking. It happened to me every 75 rounds or so. Would just manifest as a heavy pull.

My only real beef (outside of the FTEs) is the mag release. Its tough to operate the button quickly.

Some mags had wrong/bad springs - Steyr replaced for free back in the day. The biggie is poor ejection. Other folks had much worse luck and attributed it to ejector springs.

If you want a G19 sized Austrian gun... get the G19. If you are bored and want to switch things up, keep the G19 and find a cheap M9A1 and see what you think. Or try the new L9A1, which I see used for $450.

All valid points. The original that you owned, was just the M9, not the M9A1. And those units did have issues with wrong mag springs and an extractor which was not consistent. Since then, they have a newer extractor, which has cured those issues. Also, the original M9s had a trigger safety pin which had to be relocated on the later ones, for a more consistent pull. The pin on the original was located in the lower third of the trigger, later ones are located at the midway point of the trigger. I think the trigger pull on the Steyr is the best of any striker fired pistol I've felt.

They are very accurate, and they have much less felt recoil than anything else similar that I have fired.

I'm a fan.

Rayrevolver
07-21-16, 19:32
I got the same gun as your avatar. Per this link mine is a 2nd gen M9A1 with an older extractor. I still enjoy the trigger, no issues there.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/joe-grine/gun-review-steyr-m9a1/

I feel like I was preprogrammed to want a Steyr. My dad always talked about his Steyr-Mannlicher that he bought as a teen to hunt the Catskills.

Then there was the AUG in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man. And my buddies Steyr GB airsoft gun and AUG gas guns when we were kids.

I really wanted to be a Steyr guy but I didn't quite get there. Wish the L9A1 was closer to a G34 in barrel length, and maybe I would get one for games.

...and technically its like 99.7% reliable.

Have you shot a PPQ M2? Those are plastic fantastic triggers. I need a friend with a VP9 to see how those shoot.

teksid
07-21-16, 19:53
I'm a fan. 1300 rounds through mine (2013 M9A1) without issue. Best stock trigger besides the PPQ IMO.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160722/f876ccf0bf63b78a800e88d0f87c1792.jpg

yugo308guy
07-21-16, 20:33
All valid points. The original that you owned, was just the M9, not the M9A1. And those units did have issues with wrong mag springs and an extractor which was not consistent. Since then, they have a newer extractor, which has cured those issues. Also, the original M9s had a trigger safety pin which had to be relocated on the later ones, for a more consistent pull. The pin on the original was located in the lower third of the trigger, later ones are located at the midway point of the trigger. I think the trigger pull on the Steyr is the best of any striker fired pistol I've felt.

They are very accurate, and they have much less felt recoil than anything else similar that I have fired.

I'm a fan.

My apologies, I thought when you said the original you were referring to the M9. I believe the M9A1 came out in '04 IIRC. You can see how low the trigger safety pin is in this pic:
http://i63.tinypic.com/1gpr1u.jpg

If you look closely at the pic in the above post of the M9A1, you can see how much higher the pin is in that trigger.

I have not tried the PPQ as of yet. To be honest, I've been completely satisfied with my Steyr, and haven't felt the need to shop much. I went back and forth between the Steyr and a Glock 19, the Steyr just is so much better to me, and in my hands. It's super comfortable and, again, the recoil is very minimal compared to the Glock, and the Glock ain't bad at all!

USAFCATM
08-11-16, 22:18
I have an M9A1 and I love it. When I first got it, I was putting through a lot of cheap Winchester white box ammo through it and I did experience something like 8 malfunctions. I attributed this to the break-in period although for good measure, I did install a 1911 plunger spring inside the extractor spring as well. Today, I've had no further malfunctions since those first 200 rounds. The sights are a love it or hate it affair and I fall into the love the trapezoid sights. The grip angle is also more Glockish but the bore axis is even lower which makes it fast to come back on target.

call_me_ski
08-12-16, 00:37
I like my M9A1 well enough. It is my favorite polymer striker fired gun on the range but does not carry as nicely as a Glock 19. It seems vastly over built compared to the Glock. As for the sights, I can take them or leave them. I find that i apply the same rules of sight alignment and sight picture as with normal sights and have not noticed them to be slower or faster. I shoot it more accurately than my glock largely because I find the trigger better. The new guns seem more consistent in regards to ejection and trigger pull than the original guns and I don't think you could go wrong with one. Mine has been flawless but it has not had even a 5th of the rounds through it as any of my Glock 9mm pistols. For the price you can find them for they are great pistols. I only lubricated it once when i took it out of the box and that is the last maintenance I have done on the pistol.

Talon167
08-12-16, 18:06
I had an M40-A1 for a while. Bought it new for like $375 a while back. Put 4,000 rounds through it and it had two failures in that time. Ended up selling it to buy a Glock 23 but hated the Glock. For some reason, the G23 and I did not get along; sold the Glock.

Hindsight and all, wish I still had the Steyr, but am living fine without it. If I were to get another, it would be the 9mm longslide version (L9-A1 is it?).