PDA

View Full Version : Yeti cooler trifecta

bad aim
07-21-16, 18:54
I just picked up a 20Qt Roadie and love it-- small, personal, cooler that makes day trips convenient. Now, I'm looking at picking up a larger one or two.

Ironically, I feel like this is almost like that 10.5", 14.5", 18" vs 11.5", 16", 20" barrel length debate if you can have three different ARs.

I figure a 50Qt would be just about big enough (solid cube shape) and versatile enough for a small family or group of friends for a solid night's worth of fun. Then pull out a 65 or 75Qt when the party grows or the trip lengthens. Has anyone used their larger sizes for parties? Seems like anything above 75 would be a royal pain in the butt to move around.

For those with multiple Yetis (or something comparable from Orca, Rtic, Engle, etc.), what do ya'll gravitate towards for most of your outings?

firefighter37
07-21-16, 19:18
I have 3 Yetis total, a 45, 65, and 125. They all serve their purposes, the 45 rides in my truck 24/7/365, the 65 I use for drinks, and the 125 is used as a coffin box on the boat or for parties. I would rather have the 75 instead of my 65, because a yeti 75 is the size of an igloo 94.

The 125 holds a LOT of beer and ice.

sva01
07-21-16, 19:39
I have a 20qt Roadie, 45 and 65. The 45 gets the most functional nod. However, they are all overkill for diving into them every 10 minutes for beers. If keeping them closed for long periods of time, in order to keep something fresh, is the situation, they are fantastic.
Other than getting to feel "cool" because I have multiple Yeti coolers, a Coleman or Igloo would do most of what I need a cooler to do.

Big A
07-21-16, 19:40
You should check out their competitor RTIC.

TXBK
07-21-16, 20:10
I have Yetis and RTIC coolers. For the money, RTIC is the way to go now. These coolers excel when you need to keep items cold for extended periods (w/o opening the lid), or desire a cooler that can handle abuse without being destroyed. A Yeti65 stays in my truck, always. It is heavy once it's full. It's going on 5 years back there with nothing but a few scratches. A normal cooler will get crushed by a gooseneck hitch, and won't handle being stood on.

The 45 is good for a day trip for a couple people, but it is awkward for beverages for me. The 65 is exactly 4 cans or bottles wide, and the 45 is about 3.5 which bugs me. The 65 is big enough for food and drinks for a family for a day or slightly longer. I think it's definitely better to have separate coolers for drinks and food.

I think that a 45, 65, and 125 would just about cover most situations for me. My wife prefers the Roadie and Hopper, though.

The RTIC coolers are true to their quart size, and bigger than the Yetis, just as advertised.

tb-av
07-21-16, 21:12
The RTIC coolers are true to their quart size, and bigger than the Yetis, just as advertised.

They do look nice! Never heard of them. Do you know about the soft sided ones? I wondered if they sweat.

I have a YETI 45 and imo it's sort of a 2 person at best. I would go 65 minimum if more than two people. Provided you can carry it.

TXBK
07-21-16, 21:27
Do you know about the soft sided ones? I wondered if they sweat.

I haven't had any sweat appear on the Hopper. I have only used Yeti Ice in it, though.

Big A
07-21-16, 21:29
They do look nice! Never heard of them. Do you know about the soft sided ones? I wondered if they sweat.

I have a YETI 45 and imo it's sort of a 2 person at best. I would go 65 minimum if more than two people. Provided you can carry it.
RTIC was started by one of the guys who started YETI. He didn't like the prices YETI was charging so he decided to leave and start a new company.

P2000
07-21-16, 21:43
I have a Yeti "65" qt. I'm getting a canyon coolers 35 qt soon to give me more options and flexibility when camping or small activities. Based on my research, canyon coolers seem to make a better insulated and less expensive USA made product. Not all Yeti models are USA made. All RTIC covers are foreign. I'm from AZ and so is Canyon coolers, so that has some weight in my decision as well.

Ryno12
07-21-16, 21:53
You should check out their competitor RTIC.

Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of them before. I just Googled them & now I'm sold.
I can't get myself to spend the money on a Yeti. Way overpriced IMO for what they really are. A friend of mine works at the factory where they're manufactured. There's really not much to them.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-21-16, 22:48
I have a yeti 65. When full of ice and whateve it is at the limit of what I want to move around. It's heavy enough empty so just remember that side of it when thinking about which one to get.

Coal Dragger
07-22-16, 02:11
I considered buying a Yeti Roadie for use at work, but ruled it out due to weight. I'm a locomotive engineer and lugging an already heavy cooler onto my lead locomotive is bad enough, but filled with ice, drinks, and food it would be a deal breaker. I don't want a cooler that weights 4lbs or more, on top of my Red Oxx rucksack that I use as luggage.

Honu
07-22-16, 04:32
check out this on RTIC
seems OK but you will wait and wait :)

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/145170-RTIC-Coolers?highlight=rtic

Honu
07-22-16, 04:33
arb/engel fridge :) for camping

but want a nice cooler someday soon kinda thinking of engel since I love the fridges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFSwQYn-mY

I just picked up a 20Qt Roadie and love it-- small, personal, cooler that makes day trips convenient. Now, I'm looking at picking up a larger one or two.

Ironically, I feel like this is almost like that 10.5", 14.5", 18" vs 11.5", 16", 20" barrel length debate if you can have three different ARs.

I figure a 50Qt would be just about big enough (solid cube shape) and versatile enough for a small family or group of friends for a solid night's worth of fun. Then pull out a 65 or 75Qt when the party grows or the trip lengthens. Has anyone used their larger sizes for parties? Seems like anything above 75 would be a royal pain in the butt to move around.

For those with multiple Yetis (or something comparable from Orca, Rtic, Engle, etc.), what do ya'll gravitate towards for most of your outings?

Moose-Knuckle
07-22-16, 04:50
There are about thirty YouTube videos of people comparing Yeti Ramber 30oz, to the RTIC, and Ozark Trail (Wal-Mart brand) mugs . . . they're all the same except for the fact that the Wal-Mart brand one sells for $9.97 lol.

Honu
07-22-16, 05:16
hahahahaah
yeah the mug comparisons do crack me up :)

I use a snowpeak double wall myself ;)

There are about thirty YouTube videos of people comparing Yeti Ramber 30oz, to the RTIC, and Ozark Trail (Wal-Mart brand) mugs . . . they're all the same except for the fact that the Wal-Mart brand one sells for $9.97 lol.

bad aim
07-22-16, 07:53
Thanks for the info, guys. Has anyone tried Orca coolers? USA made coolers (some Yetis are not) and they come in at a lower price point, too.

It looks like those Rtic guys are about 45min away from me...I need to stop by and see if they have any blem stock. :D

Moose-Knuckle
07-22-16, 17:22
hahahahaah
yeah the mug comparisons do crack me up :)

I use a snowpeak double wall myself ;)

Yeah I'm a sucker, I bought the two different Yetti mugs when they first came out.

Oh well, live and learn . . .

Honu
07-22-16, 17:46
yeah I hear ya :) hahaaahahah
might get the yeti clone at walmart :)

my snowpeak ones are for camping but use them at home and they nest and are light as I try to cut back our camping load weight :) yeah thats a good excuse :) hahahaha

Yeah I'm a sucker, I bought the two different Yetti mugs when they first came out.

Oh well, live and learn . . .

Irish
07-23-16, 08:47
This thread has quite a bit of good info related to the topic: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?154513-Yeti-or-similar-Coolers

From what I've read RTIC appears to be the best bang for the buck if you want a higher end cooler.