PDA

View Full Version : Reaction rod question

ncshooter18
07-21-16, 19:38
I just used my reaction rod for a muzzle device and I was wondering if it would be possible to rotate the barrel extension in the upper using a reaction rod for muzzle devices? I wouldn't think so because there is nothing securing the upper, only the barrel extension. Is this correct?

556BlackRifle
07-21-16, 20:07
I just used my reaction rod for a muzzle device and I was wondering if it would be possible to rotate the barrel extension in the upper using a reaction rod for muzzle devices? I wouldn't think so because there is nothing securing the upper, only the barrel extension. Is this correct?

There is some debate about using a reaction rod to secure the upper when attaching a muzzle device. Some say using a barrel clamp with a vice is the best way to go. Not entering into that debate.....

To answer your question, the Reaction rod mates with the barrel extension. As long as the locater pin is engaged with the notch on the upper and the barrel nut is tight enough to prevent the pin from disengaging, there is no chance of the upper rotating on the barrel extension. Hope that helps.

lysander
07-21-16, 20:07
Theoretically, you could loosen the barrel from the extension, but the extension won't rotate in the upper because of the pin...

ncshooter18
07-21-16, 20:16
Because of the reaction rod only engaging the barrel ext. and nothing engaging the upper, wouldn't it be impossible for the barrel to rotate even without the index pin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
07-21-16, 20:25
A barrel extension is torqued to 150lbs, I believe, so your index pin will shear before your barrel breaks loose, if your barrel is rotating you have a serious problem.

Iraqgunz
07-21-16, 23:36
I have done HUNDREDS of barrel installs and muzzle device installs using the Reaction Rod. If your stuff is assembled properly and made correctly, it's a non-issue.

GH41
07-22-16, 06:39
I have done HUNDREDS of barrel installs and muzzle device installs using the Reaction Rod. If your stuff is assembled properly and made correctly, it's a non-issue.

Key words being assembled properly and made correctly. I have removed a barrel from the extension trying to remove a muzzle device with a reaction rod. The MD ended up taking 80-100'# to remove and the barrel and extension were melonite and probably treated together. The perfect storm! I still use the RR but if a MD doesn't come off with normal force I put the barrel in a vise.

AFshirt
07-22-16, 07:54
I used a Magpul Zev block to remove the flash hider off of a bushmaster upper. The barrel extension unscrewed itself from the barrel.

Jace
07-22-16, 08:46

Will,

Do you prefer the simplicity of padded barrel jaws ? Or the bulletproof lockup of the Reaction rod for muzzle device installs ?

It seems to be a choice between cheap, simple and effective - or a bulletproof, long term investment with the Reaction Rod. Although, with many of the longer handguards in current use, padded jaws aren't really an option.

ncshooter18
07-22-16, 09:33
both the uppers I worked on were factory BCM uppers. I changed the comps for A2s. Do you guys think I caused anything to shift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
07-22-16, 10:16
both the uppers I worked on were factory BCM uppers. I changed the comps for A2s. Do you guys think I caused anything to shift?

Very, very unlikely. And if you somehow did, it should be obvious because the gas block, and its end of the gas tube, would have rotated with the barrel, while the receiver end of the gas tube would stay in the port.

I'm not the expert that some above are, but have installed and removed numerous muzzle devices using the Reaction Rod and have had zero issues in doing so. Like one person said, if excessive torque is required, stop and do something different.

jackblack73
07-22-16, 12:16
Although, with many of the longer handguards in current use, padded jaws aren't really an option.

This is the issue I have. I need to remove the AAC flash hider from my 9" AAC upper to mount a Silencerco device. It will probably require a decent amount of torque since it's rocksetted on. But because of the short barrel/long handguard, I can't use barrel clamps. And with the way Knight's rails mount (which I hate) I don't think I can remove it.

Eurodriver
07-22-16, 15:04
I just installed an AAC 51T FH on a 10.5" LMT using a Geissele RR torqued to 20ft lbs.

Are there really people that claim that method and 20ft lbs may have damaged the barrel extension? :ph34r:

Iraqgunz
07-22-16, 18:41
In the manufacturing world, speed and efficiency has to be factored in. There is a lot of wasted time having to stop, remove the upper, etc.. With a Reaction Rod, I can do barreling, gas block installs, rails and muzzle devices at one time.

In the past I have been pretty clear that there are caveats to using it. But, I don't deal with questionable parts, etc.. so I am not concerned.

Will,

Do you prefer the simplicity of padded barrel jaws ? Or the bulletproof lockup of the Reaction rod for muzzle device installs ?

It seems to be a choice between cheap, simple and effective - or a bulletproof, long term investment with the Reaction Rod. Although, with many of the longer handguards in current use, padded jaws aren't really an option.