PDA

View Full Version : Buttstock extension

sasquatchoslav
07-22-16, 13:00
It finally dawned on me I'd like to get my length of pull on the AR's equal to that of my bolt action rifles. Is there any kind of aftermaket add on I can get 1-1.5 inches w/o having to do get a longer receiver? I was all excited to see Mapul made one, but apparently from the reviews it only works on Magpul stocks.

Homemade ideas?

Eurodriver
07-22-16, 13:03
Unless I am misunderstand your request, you could get an A5 receiver extension which would give you an inch over a standard carbine tube.

Another option would be the Magpul PRS which extends wayyyy out.

What kind of shooting are you doing that requires such a long LOP?

ColtSeavers
07-22-16, 13:20
It finally dawned on me I'd like to get my length of pull on the AR's equal to that of my bolt action rifles. Is there any kind of aftermaket add on I can get 1-1.5 inches w/o having to do get a longer receiver? I was all excited to see Mapul made one, but apparently from the reviews it only works on Magpul stocks.

Homemade ideas?

Could you e a bit more specific? What type of receiver extension (buffer tube) are you currently using that you would like to go longer from?

Starting at carbine length receiver extension (the shortest going to longest), the A5 is longer and rifle is longest. The rifle receiver extension then has two butt stock options, one being an A1 length (basically ends where receiver extension ends) and A2 length (which adds a ~1" spacer at the end of the extension to add extra LOP).

An Alternative is to use a DPSM 1" stock extender on a fixed stock carbine receiver extension if you desire.

GH41
07-22-16, 15:24
Yea.. It would be nice to know what LOP he is after and what stock he is running now.

MistWolf
07-22-16, 15:45
Before artificially extending your buttstock, try a pistol grip with a more vertical angle and, if you're using a scope, push your optic further forward

ChoppinFatTony
07-22-16, 17:05
If he is running a Magpul buttstock, they make extended rubber buttpads up too .70".

BrigandTwoFour
07-22-16, 17:14

Homemade ideas?

I'm curious about as to what you are referring?

You really only have three common options: carbine extension, A5 extension, or a Rifle length extension for use with full length rifle stocks (A1, A2, Magpule MOE, PRS, etc.)

What kind of LOP are you looking for?

GH41
07-22-16, 17:41
If he is running a Magpul buttstock, they make extended rubber buttpads up too .70".

As usual... Half of the people responding to the OP didn't read his post. You are included.

sasquatchoslav
07-22-16, 18:13
I'm really tall and lanky LOP is 14 3/4 to 15 1/4" depending on whether or not it's summer or winter with layers. Current setups are M4 stock/carbine buffer I just want to find out if I can keep using my current setup and find a way to get and inch more out of it or even omre if possible w/o gutting it all. Thanks.

I'd be happy with a dang home made way to get my LOP where I'm accustomed. When I grab a bolt rig it's instantly back to the same spot every time eye relief etc it's autopilot. AR's always fiddling to get locked in and when a hog is running across the field that doesn't work out so well usually:/

cbx
07-22-16, 19:48
I'm really tall and lanky LOP is 14 3/4 to 15 1/4" depending on whether or not it's summer or winter with layers. Current setups are M4 stock/carbine buffer I just want to find out if I can keep using my current setup and find a way to get and inch more out of it or even omre if possible w/o gutting it all. Thanks.

I'd be happy with a dang home made way to get my LOP where I'm accustomed. When I grab a bolt rig it's instantly back to the same spot every time eye relief etc it's autopilot. AR's always fiddling to get locked in and when a hog is running across the field that doesn't work out so well usually:/
Just get a really thick butt pad and glue it. Or just any rubber or wood. Take it to a shoe shop if your want to be fancy and hand then belt sand the edges smith to be flash to the stock.

Not what I'd do, but you can do whatever you'd like.

Pushbutton2
09-16-16, 07:07
Wondering if you've found a solution.
I'm tall and lanky like you. Facing the same dilemma..