PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Your Carry Weapon

TacticalSledgehammer
07-22-16, 21:06
The longer I carry the more I notice how dirty it makes my handgun. I'm not sure how dust makes its way into the barrel being carried concealed on my waist but it does. I've also been finding lint and some kind of mystery white powder on and in it. I'm thinking it's either deodorant, talcum powder, or dead skin cells?

I carry a Glock 27 (old LEO trade-in) Gen 2.5 and I know it "should be" reliable because of its name, and I've put some rounds through it already to feel confident in its reliability. I just done want anything to go wrong in a time of need. How often do you clean your carry weapons?

jhr1986
07-22-16, 21:31
Every other month or anytime I shoot them. No I don't shoot my carry guns that often (i carry small guns: j frame, 938, etc), but I like them to be clean.

tacticaldesire
07-22-16, 21:37
I clean mine once every month or two or after an extended range session (If I only put a box or two through I only do a quick wipe down). Clean carry guns are important. I'd rather spend the 15-20 minutes it takes to clean it properly than be dead due to a malfunction I could have prevented.

GTF425
07-22-16, 22:02
With a grip plug on my 19, I find that there's never any real buildup of dirt/sand/lint that doesn't come off with a quick wipedown while still assembled.

But I do clean and lube after any time it's shot, and I shoot my carry ammo every 6 months. I have a spare 19 set up the same as my carry gun so I don't have to shoot it to train.

DirectTo
07-22-16, 22:28
It happens over time. Usually a solid blow of air will knock most of it out and off.

When I cycle out my carry ammo, I take whatever Glock it's in to the range, dirty from carrying for a while, and fire it all before relubing and moving on to range ammo. It's a nice reminder that the gun will go bang if needed, even dirty or dry. I then clean, reload, and carry on.

I do have a couple 19s and 26s I can rotate between, so they all get a rotation of being shot vs. being carried.

maestromsv
07-23-16, 09:57
Clean after every range use, right now that time is getting further apart and the above comments are great also!

ST911
07-23-16, 10:41
The longer I carry the more I notice how dirty it makes my handgun. I'm not sure how dust makes its way into the barrel being carried concealed on my waist but it does. I've also been finding lint and some kind of mystery white powder on and in it. I'm thinking it's either deodorant, talcum powder, or dead skin cells?

I carry a Glock 27 (old LEO trade-in) Gen 2.5 and I know it "should be" reliable because of its name, and I've put some rounds through it already to feel confident in its reliability. I just done want anything to go wrong in a time of need. How often do you clean your carry weapons?

Your Glock will collect a lot of lint, fuzz, and dust and still run. If keeping it cleaner than that is important to you, blow it out with compressed air or field strip for a wipe down periodically. Better yet, shoot your carry gun(s) at least once a week or more, and clean after.

nml
07-23-16, 12:41
Function test now and again depending on round counts or lack thereof. I'll put some steps later and others can see if I am missing any.

Uprange41
07-23-16, 12:59
I shoot weekly, so I wipe my G26 off after use to keep my clothes clean, and then actually clean it every thousand rounds or so.

The shooting tends to work out any lint that may have accumulated in the last 7 days.

Turnkey11
07-23-16, 15:27
Only when I shoot it, or take it swimming. Lint and dust buildup from carrying in my waistband isn't going to affect the operation of a glock 19.

Rekkr870
07-23-16, 15:32
I don't remember the last time I cleaned my carry G19...I guess that means it's time to clean it?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

TacticalMark
07-23-16, 21:31
I clean my edc after every range trip, which is only about twice a month. In the off change that I haven't shot my edc for whatever reason, I would clean it after 2-3 months with compressed air (blow job) and re-lube.

MegademiC
07-23-16, 22:34
I clean my gun after shooting supressed, just because I dont want to stain my light colord shirts. If lint causes a malfunction, there are issues.

I've carried my pistol for 6mo without cleaning and it still looked clean inside and out.

ColdGOOSE1974
07-23-16, 22:56
I was always told not to lube your carry gun, unless you are shooting it at the range. The oil attracts lint and debris and causes it to gunk up the gun. You can just unload it and blow compressed air through to get the lint off. A glock will run a long time without lube. It's not good for it, but if you're forced into a self defense situation, a little extra wear and tear on your gun is the least of your worries

bighawk
07-23-16, 23:21
I shoot my carry gun about once a month..

I run a few mags through it then clean it and lube it very lightly while at the range. Then I fire a few rounds to check for function, load it back up with carry ammo and holster it.

It might seem a bit excessive but I carried a non functional gun around for about 3 weeks a few years ago after I missed a part that fell to the carpet when reassembling it.

ST911
07-23-16, 23:33
Coldgoose- I started with a longer reply, but will just say: that's ridiculous. Clean and lube per the user manual.

Pappabear
07-23-16, 23:51
If I shoot it, I wipe it down inside and out. Not complete tear down. Reload and roll. Recently, I saw where sweat created some buil up. So I wiped it off with rem oil. And now I roll. I dont over clean or not clean. Balance is the key to life.

nml
07-24-16, 03:42
Function tests for glock as they see use. This assumes a gun that has proper engagement (trigger bar/firing pin lug) and working drop safety. I use orange slide cover for that.

1. Clear and make empty
2. Clean. verify barrel free of obstructions
3. Verify front and rear sight screws in place (not missing or loose/falling out)
4. Verify front sight alignment (not damaged/bent)
5. With firing pin rearward, press on back of firing pin lug. Firing pin should not move forward
6. Depress firing pin safety with slide angled down, firing pin should move forward
7. Pull slide stop lever up. It should snap back down
8. Lube and reassemble. leave unloaded and empty
9. Try to pull slide lock lever downwards. It should not move
11. Press on sides of trigger (but not center) while moving rearward to verify trigger safety function
12. Start to press trigger normally, verify trigger safety moves out of the way
13. Pull trigger / dry fire and keep trigger back. shaking gun should hear the firing pin moving freely
14. Trigger still back, push the rear of the slide forward. It should not move
15. Still holding trigger, point muzzle upwards at 45 degrees. pull slide to rear and release very slowly. Should chamber fully with strong enough recoil string
16. Insert empty magazine. Pull slide forcibly to rear. Should lock back
17. Press magazine release. Mag should drop free
18. Use your rifle :lol:

I will add anything that's missing just let me know Glockers. Others w more experience always.

TacticalSledgehammer
07-24-16, 21:55
Thanks for the replies. I mainly always cleaned after use, but noticed the fuzzy bore and figured I'd see what you all had to say.

Kdubya
07-25-16, 23:00
I clean my G30s about every other range trip, and will lube with some Slip 2000 after every trip. It can certainly go longer without being cleaned but, because it's a carry gun, I'd rather be safe than sorry. As far as crud on the exterior, do yourself a favor and pick up some Tuf Glide. My gunsmith, who I'd trust with my life and firearms, put me on to it. It's sort of a cleaner, but is more so a protectorate. I wipe my carry guns down once a week with this stuff. Makes them look like new and does a great job of shielding them from the elements. If I sweat a lot on a given day, get caught in the rain, etc I will break the once a week cadence and treat as needed. As far as application, I spray a soft microfiber cloth a couple times and then use it to wipe everything down. I found a 4 pack of them in the kitchen section at Walmart for about $5 and they work wonderfully. No lint or streaks left behind. I'll even run a few passes inside and outside my holsters. I feel like the holster is the one thing many overlook. Any dirt/dust that collects in there can act as an abrasive when drawing and holstering. It likely won't gouge your firearm, but it can cause some small scratches.

Vegasshooter
07-26-16, 01:32
I was always told not to lube your carry gun, unless you are shooting it at the range. The oil attracts lint and debris and causes it to gunk up the gun. You can just unload it and blow compressed air through to get the lint off. A glock will run a long time without lube. It's not good for it, but if you're forced into a self defense situation, a little extra wear and tear on your gun is the least of your worries

That is not a valid concern. I live and carry in the desert. It is often VERY hot and dusty here. I lube heavy because I shoot far more often than I clean. I usually clean about every 1000 rounds or so, but I lube after I shoot. My experience has ALWAYS been: guns will run dirty, as long as they are well lubed. I have taught somewhere around 200-250 recruits this year on the range. The number one mistake I see is a lack of lube on weapons.

Please lube it up. It'll run fine.

293sheepdog
08-03-16, 22:43
I clean my Glock 43 EDC a couple times a month after I shoot it. My G22 gets cleaned once a week wether it needs it or not as that's my duty weapon. I don't worry about fuzz with a plastic gun.

arbninftry
08-03-16, 23:55
I think this has been covered before. ;)

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute’s warning.
Robert Rogers CIRCA French and Indian War 1757

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rogers%27_28_%22Rules_of_Ranging%22

And yes I do clean my carry guns as needed, and at least every other day get wiped down.

Arik
08-04-16, 07:12
Occasionally and eventually. Most of the time I use an air gun to blow out the lint and fuzz.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

293sheepdog
08-04-16, 08:03
I think this has been covered before. ;)

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute’s warning.
Robert Rogers CIRCA French and Indian War 1757

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rogers%27_28_%22Rules_of_Ranging%22

And yes I do clean my carry guns as needed, and at least every other day get wiped down.

Nice, way to make a point hit home!

ColdGOOSE1974
08-04-16, 09:20
Coldgoose- I started with a longer reply, but will just say: that's ridiculous. Clean and lube per the user manual.

Ridiculous is a strong word, with no explanation. Perhaps I could agree with your point of view if you explained why my practice is wrong.

HeruMew
08-04-16, 09:34
I wasn't going to reply initially.

But, these threads can usually be summarized into a couple points:
1) Lubing is done at the user's discretion. There is no "measurable" (at least to the common consumer without advanced measuring tools) ability when it comes to "How much lube works best."
----In the end, this will come down to user preference and cleaning styles. Ultimately, every firearm is a little different in that there is a "Acceptable" range of how much oil to use without using too little, or too much.
-----This "range" will change for each gun. A picky pocket pistol might have low "tolerance"/"Range" for being over oiled or under oiled, where a common Quality Service Pistol, may run with little to no lube, up to as much as dripping with lube.

2) Make sure you're checking your styles for functionality.
----When it comes down to what we CCW, it's just that, it's what we carry. In other words, what works for me, may not work for Joe down the block. Even with the same model pistol, out of the same manufacturing batch.
-----Joe runs his pistol somewhat dirty, cleans it every 500-1000 rounds, he leaves it nice and wet oiled regularly. So long as Joe makes sure his pistol is GTG regularly while using this style, more power to them. John cleans his carry religiously. Anytime it is fired, even a single magazine, it gets a nylon brush/solvent and patches, and a good carbon removal with a toothbrush. He lightly oils it, leaving a good film, and as long as he is checking that oil regularly (through his religious cleaning method) and verifying that all is GTG, more power to them.

I see no real difference in these situations. I may be a religious cleaner, I wipe mine down every couple days just to help protect from sweat, holster wear, etc. But I certainly won't knock anyone for having a different method. As long as it works!

Just my 2 dollars on the topic.

WickedWillis
08-04-16, 10:31

If lint is binding up your carry gun, then you've chosen a terrible carry gun.

MegademiC
08-04-16, 14:28
Ridiculous is a strong word, with no explanation. Perhaps I could agree with your point of view if you explained why my practice is wrong.

I will say the only two pistols that I've seen that wouldn't run were dry. A squirt of clp fixed them.

Would not shoot more than 3 or 4 rounds before choking. After lube, ran a couple hundred without issue. Lint will not cause your gun to choke, at least in my experience.

tuck
08-04-16, 14:41
I was always told not to lube your carry gun

I wouldn't take any firearms advice from whoever told you that.

ST911
08-04-16, 21:37

Nutshell: While your gun may be mechanically capable of operating without lube, it is much closer to its functional threshold than when cleaned and lubricated in a known-good manner. I want my life support gear to have the widest possible operating parameters. That's it.

The practice you describe is also quite an exception. You could be the only one doing it right and everyone else is wrong, but...

wildcard600
08-04-16, 22:03

Do you run your car's crankcase dry so it doesn't "attract dirt" ?

Mozart
08-19-16, 02:57
OP, I hear ya. My G43 gets nasty mostly in 2 spots: the magwell and the barrel. Every week or so, if I remember I eject the mag and wipe it off, and get a qtip into the front of the barrel really quick. Would some dead skin stop it from going bang? Not a chance. It's an OCD thing I'm sure

treecop
08-20-16, 07:16
LAV demonstrates:

http://youtu.be/p9bOT_d60LM

WillBrink
08-20-16, 07:40

More importantly, how often do shoot your CCW gun? That's how you know it's reliability is as it should be. I probably clean my CCW every 2-3 time I shoot it, which 3-500rnds. I make sure it's well lubed between range sessions.

WillBrink
08-20-16, 07:49

By who? Anyone giving such advice should be ignore on any and all gun related advice.

daniel87
08-20-16, 12:16
By who? Anyone giving such advice should be ignore on any and all gun related advice.
The advice would be reasonable if the advice was lightly oil your ccw gun because over lubrication will catch more dirt.

To the original poster of dont oil the gun. drops of oil good, the gun leaking oil is bad.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

WillBrink
08-20-16, 13:12
The advice would be reasonable if the advice was lightly oil your ccw gun because over lubrication will catch more dirt.

To the original poster of dont oil the gun. drops of oil good, the gun leaking oil is bad.

Never seen a gun fail to function due to excessive lube. The opposite however causes issues for fire arms regularly. Lack of lube is far more problematic to the function and reliability of the gun than fears of additional dirt for a CCW. A properly lubed gun, that gets regular range sessions, cleaned, and occasional lint/dirt check and wipe down is a non issue to quality firearms. Biggest issue would be getting oil on your clothes. See also vid post by LAV...

MountainRaven
08-20-16, 14:35
The only legitimate reason to worry about "too much" lubrication on/in your carry piece is because it might stain your clothes.

Otherwise, the only time I clean a carry weapon (that I haven't shot recently) is when the lint and dog hair starts to bug me.

Firefly
08-20-16, 15:02
Carry/Duty weapon gets well cleaned after every practice/qual/range day.

What I would do, and the handgun in question being a Glock, was to keep some kind of lube in a ziploc in my jump bag. Every so often even if it never left the holster it would get a wipedown with a dampish cloth and lube on slide.

Some of this is holdover from the old 3rd gen Smith where, like a 1911, it NEEDED to be wet.

Also cycle your ammo when you clear it. Don't use the same old "Barney bullet" like if you go to a jail. If you are on your time, I'd just carry Condition 3.

The butt plugs(pardon the expression) are okay I guess but keeping a small, boy's cut up white t shirt or a guncloth and a few minutes (if that) wipe down is free and isn't such a chore.

williejc
08-20-16, 16:07
If I fire the weapon--even a few times--I will field strip and at least clean the chamber with brush and patch(paper towel or scrap cloth)and then wipe off the breech face and wipe off the barrel with whatever cloth is available. Next I'll lightly lube--maybe with a Q-tip--contact points. Before assembly, I'll eyeball the extractor to check for foreign matter, quickly inspect the receiver, put it together and go about my business. It goes without saying that I wiped down the outside to remove finger prints and powder residue. Taking my time, I'll spend no more than 10 minutes. An extended range session dictates thorough cleaning.

daniel87
08-20-16, 16:10
If I fire the weapon--even a few times--I will field strip and at least clean the chamber with brush and patch(paper towel or scrap cloth)and then wipe off the breech face and wipe off the barrel with whatever cloth is available. Next I'll lightly lube--maybe with a Q-tip--contact points. Before assembly, I'll eyeball the extractor to check for foreign matter, quickly inspect the receiver, put it together and go about my business. It goes without saying that I wiped down the outside to remove finger prints and powder residue. Taking my time, I'll spend no more than 10 minutes. An extended range session dictates thorough cleaning.
Im sure All that while watching tv too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Pappabear
08-21-16, 06:21
On my handguns, I use a Remmy wipe, give it a once over and try to scrub the feed ramp , place a few drops of oil and rack the slide a few times. Then wipe again. Maybe use a dry paper towel for excess. If I'm super rambunctious , I throw a snake down the pipe.

Every once in a while, you gotta do a full on clean. But not so often for me.

PB

dm2206
08-21-16, 09:29
Baby powder/talcum powder definitely gets in there...lol. I have been carrying Glocks on and off duty for 13 yrs, they are very reliable and will perform even when a little dry. That being said, wipe it down and check the lube once a week or two and you will be fine.

SpecWired
08-21-16, 09:55
When I feel like it and get around to it usually or when it appears a lubricant touch up is in order.