PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Red Dot ML3 Sight

Killer Angel
09-02-08, 11:40
I am thinking of getting the Aimpoint ML3 Red Dot Sight for my M4 Carbine.Anyway,they come with either the 2 MOA or 4 MOA and I was wondering on what is the difference between the two.Could anyone out there please explain the differences of the 2 MOA as compared to the 4 MOA?What are the advantages of each over the other?And lastly,which between the 2 MOA or 4 MOA do you personally prefer?And why?
Thanks.

PS.By the way,I heard that the Aimpoint Comp ML3 is the civilian version of the Comp M3.Does that mean that it is less durable and reliable?If I weren't going to war,would it be worth getting the Comp M3 over the Comp ML3?
Thanks.

Tungsten
09-02-08, 11:46
If you do a search, you will find plenty of threads regarding Aimpoint sights and what MOA means. :)

As for the ML3 being any less durable than the M3, no. All you are losing with the ML version is nightvision compatibility. If you don't anticipate shooting with nightvision gear, then you might as well save some money and go with the ML version.

BushmasterFanBoy
09-02-08, 11:50
The L designation in "Comp ML3" indicates that the optic is not night vision compatible. The Comp ML3 and the M3 are virtually identical in every way, except that the M3 has brightness settings which are compatible with night vision. (It may have extra coatings on the lens, but I'm not certain).

4 M.O.A stands for minute of angle, which is a unit that translates in roughly 4 inches at 100 yards. 2 M.O.A would therefore be 2 inches at 100 yards. Aimpoint uses this measurement to show how large the red dot actually is. The 4 MOA dot is a larger dot and is great for speed. The smaller 2 MOA is a bit slower up close, but has the 4 MOA beat for when you are sitting at a bench nailing small clay pigeons at 250 yards.

Personally speaking I prefer the 4 MOA. I find it's faster to shoot with, but then again you can always turn up the brightness setting on the 2 MOA version in order to simulate having a larger red dot.

Good luck!

Iraqgunz
09-02-08, 12:29
You may find better responses in the Optics thread area.

sl4mdaddy
09-02-08, 12:49
I am thinking of getting the Aimpoint ML3 Red Dot Sight for my M4 Carbine.Anyway,they come with either the 2 MOA or 4 MOA and I was wondering on what is the difference between the two.Could anyone out there please explain the differences of the 2 MOA as compared to the 4 MOA?What are the advantages of each over the other?And lastly,which between the 2 MOA or 4 MOA do you personally prefer?And why?
Thanks.

PS.By the way,I heard that the Aimpoint Comp ML3 is the civilian version of the Comp M3.Does that mean that it is less durable and reliable?If I weren't going to war,would it be worth getting the Comp M3 over the Comp ML3?
Thanks.
I usually browse at SWFA to see what scopes have what and to do the comparison thing for basic differences:

http://www.swfa.com/c-842-aimpoint-compm3-compml3-red-dot-sights.aspx

sff70
09-02-08, 16:34
http://www.aimpoint.com/law_enforcement/products

M3 = NVD compatible
ML3 =not NVD compatible

MOA = Minute of Angle
1 MOA ~ 1" at 100 yds

Thus, a 4 moa dot will subtend 4" at 100 yds, and 1" at 25 yds.

The bigger 4 moa dot is easier/faster in CQB.

If you intend on using a magnifier, get a 2 moa dot.