PDA

View Full Version : Would this bother you?

ncshooter18
07-23-16, 14:48
I just assembled this lower into a rifle and noticed the lower seems to have been machined off center. The left side is thinner throughout the lower causing the trigger pins to stick out more on the left side, endplate to look off center, etc. It seems like it will function but it is kind of annoying. Would this bother you guys or would you not care?
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/7lf10/7A33C2A6-B87D-4B55-A8C8-DF793AF78137_zpssx0gfx1v.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/user/7lf10/media/7A33C2A6-B87D-4B55-A8C8-DF793AF78137_zpssx0gfx1v.jpg.html)

ColtSeavers
07-23-16, 14:51
Yes, it would agitate my inner OCD immensely. Return it and get a proper one, sooner rather than later, as there's a storm (election) on the horizon.

Iraqgunz
07-23-16, 14:59
It happens. As I recall it was pretty standard with PSA for a while.

GH41
07-23-16, 15:00
Perfectly normal for a forged lower. If you find one that is exactly even you have won the lottery!

misfit47
07-23-16, 15:11
As long as everything fit and worked, I wouldn't worry. Close the upper and let it ride.

ColtSeavers
07-23-16, 15:29
My concern are the FCG pins. If those are protruding out far enough to be dislodged to be more specific. If they are, I would return it, if not, your call.

ncshooter18
07-23-16, 15:35
It is an Aero. I think I could fix the FCG pins thing with some KNS pins.

lysander
07-23-16, 19:39
I just assembled this lower into a rifle and noticed the lower seems to have been machined off center. The left side is thinner throughout the lower causing the trigger pins to stick out more on the left side, endplate to look off center, etc. It seems like it will function but it is kind of annoying. Would this bother you guys or would you not care?
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/7lf10/7A33C2A6-B87D-4B55-A8C8-DF793AF78137_zpssx0gfx1v.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/user/7lf10/media/7A33C2A6-B87D-4B55-A8C8-DF793AF78137_zpssx0gfx1v.jpg.html)
If it is less than .0375", or the difference between the two sides is more than .010", or the pocket itself is more than .695".

That's the specified tolerance.

MegademiC
07-23-16, 22:27
Generally, I'd say shoot it, but that looks way off. Look at the safety area. Assuming lysander specs are correct (he seems to know his stuff), I'd check your measurements and if out of spec, return it.

scooter22
07-23-16, 22:47
My concern are the FCG pins. If those are protruding out far enough to be dislodged to be more specific. If they are, I would return it, if not, your call.

Agreed.

If you can assemble it without issues, and it passes a function check, I'd say it's OK.

eodinert
07-24-16, 00:31
That would bug the shit out of me.

JulyAZ
07-24-16, 00:46
It would bug me if I never put an upper on it, but the beauty of installing a upper on it is that you won't see it.

daniel87
07-24-16, 03:16
if you have the knowledge and a caliper look online for the prints and check. odds are it falls within the qc standard at aero precision. its probably just barely in the qc spec range. as in its out but not enough to scrap the part.

most people would not notice the cosmetic issue. im sure aero will replace it. assuming they have good cs.
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BatteryOperated
07-24-16, 05:57
It would bother me, and I would return it as an unsatisfied customer if possible. However, from the way it sounds you are unable to do so. As those with more experience have stated it is a common problem that is more aesthetic than function.

Col_Crocs
07-24-16, 08:44
I've seen worse and that one ran fine and still does. But yeah, it would bug me.

556BlackRifle
07-24-16, 10:14
It would bother me even though it would probably run just fine. I just like my stuff to be squared away. I'm a bit OCD I guess......

The_War_Wagon
07-24-16, 11:08

I'm more worried about your rusty wheel. :p

Make a pistol lower out of it, if it really bothers you. :cool:

Butch
07-24-16, 14:57
That would drive me crazy.

TMS951
07-24-16, 16:16
If it was advertised as a 'blem' lower and I paid 50-60$ for it I wouldn't care. If it was advertised as gtg and I paid 70$ or more I'd be pissed.

Eurodriver
07-24-16, 16:21

If the outside spec is the same, then there would be no protrusion.

This is a non issue. M4C is not for people who buy AR15s looking to replicate the good 'ole days of Winchester Model 70s.

ace4059
07-24-16, 16:28
Another quality piece machined by.... Never mind I'll keep my mouth shut. Can't you feel my love?

ColtSeavers
07-24-16, 18:23

Umm...

The left side is thinner throughout the lower causing the trigger pins to stick out more on the left side

Eurodriver
07-24-16, 19:54
Umm...

Cool.

I missed that.

But it's just as good as a Colt. So wtf are we even talking about?

rondooley
07-24-16, 21:03
Looks like one of my aero lowers. Only real issue is that the safety selector sticks out rather odd now. Emailed Aero and they did not return email about it with pics

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

QuickStrike
07-24-16, 21:55
Maybe the other side's just a little bit thick? Makes the thinner side look worse. Would not surprise me if it is well within specs.

The lower on my 6920 kinda like this, only much less extreme...

samuse
07-24-16, 22:00

This is a non issue. M4C is not for people who buy AR15s looking to replicate the good 'ole days of Winchester Model 70s.

Have you seen the new Model 70s coming out of Japan? Way nicer than the pre-64s.

293sheepdog
08-03-16, 22:25
Yes it would bother me up to the point I put rounds through it.

calm
08-05-16, 18:34
Absolutely would bother me.

dsk
08-05-16, 19:03
There are those who would simply say "well, how does it shoot?" as if the owner shouldn't expect a perfect rifle or component. If I were a soldier and issued an M4 that was like that I probably wouldn't care, because it's government property anyway and as long as the rifle worked that's all that would matter. But if I'm paying my own hard-earned money for something that is supposed to last me a lifetime then I want it as close to perfect as possible. That's not being OCD, it's called having pride in your things. It would also be a lot harder to sell a rifle or lower that looks like that to another party in the future. so the resale value would be negatively impacted without you having done a thing to it. Nobody here would buy a brand-new car with a nasty dent or a tear in the seat, so why should gun owners be expected to excuse QC blunders like this?

zecropper
08-09-16, 09:25
I'm gonna have to check my Aero rifle when I get home and look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lysander
08-09-16, 10:46
There are those who would simply say "well, how does it shoot?" as if the owner shouldn't expect a perfect rifle or component. If I were a soldier and issued an M4 that was like that I probably wouldn't care, because it's government property anyway and as long as the rifle worked that's all that would matter. But if I'm paying my own hard-earned money for something that is supposed to last me a lifetime then I want it as close to perfect as possible. That's not being OCD, it's called having pride in your things. It would also be a lot harder to sell a rifle or lower that looks like that to another party in the future. so the resale value would be negatively impacted without you having done a thing to it. Nobody here would buy a brand-new car with a nasty dent or a tear in the seat, so why should gun owners be expected to excuse QC blunders like this?

If you demand things to be "mil-spec", expect "mil-spec" quality.

The OP's example is "mil-spec" quality.....

ace4059
08-09-16, 11:12

No. The OP's example is of poor quality control.

AP has videos posted on YouTube that they make the best products and have the highest QC and they show their top dollar machines making the best product that money can buy. Which is a bunch of BS.

If you insist on buying items from substandard brands, expect junk/crappy items. The Chinese could build a better AR than AP. People buy substandard AR's because lack of knowledge about the products and the gun stores push crappy guns on uninformed customers. Some people think all AR's are the same. They reason with themselves why should I spend $900 for a Colt when brand XYZ only cost $450 and is the same thing.

The only advice I can give is to use this as a learning experience. And remember you get what you pay for.

firefighter37
08-09-16, 14:15
No. The OP's example is of poor quality control.

AP has videos posted on YouTube that they make the best products and have the highest QC and they show their top dollar machines making the best product that money can buy. Which is a bunch of BS.

If you insist on buying items from substandard brands, expect junk/crappy items. The Chinese could build a better AR than AP. People buy substandard AR's because lack of knowledge about the products and the gun stores push crappy guns on uninformed customers. Some people think all AR's are the same. They reason with themselves why should I spend $900 for a Colt when brand XYZ only cost $450 and is the same thing.

The only advice I can give is to use this as a learning experience. And remember you get what you pay for.

I agree with this, and it makes me wonder, why is Aero considered the "Go To" stripped lower, they are crap, just like Anderson.

ace4059
08-09-16, 14:57
I agree with this, and it makes me wonder, why is Aero considered the "Go To" stripped lower, they are crap, just like Anderson.

I would say the main reason is money. Then the next is above ^^^ in red.

Then you have people that recommend those product on this site. Gasp!!! I would hope this site would be held to higher standards but I have a feeling it is slipping. People give recommendations on a sample size of one with these products. The real problem is the QC where you hear about problems time and time again with the same companies and then the poor person not only received a defective item but they must suffer through that companies terrible CS.

You may get lucky and never have a problem with some of these parts but you are gambling. I hear a lot more people have problems with the lesser known brands then I do with the well know quality brands. The reason people recommend the other top tier products is because you know you are going to receive a working product and in the slim chance ( and I mean slim chance) something slips by QC then you know you will receive excellent costumer service that's prompt.

I think I would rather take OC to the face, be stuffed in a room with CS gas, and prison raped then deal with certain companies.

Rant over. Back on topic, no I would not accept that lower and I would call them everyday until the make it right. Especially if the trigger pins are sticking out of one side.

BTW, firefighter37, your sig line humors me.

firefighter37
08-09-16, 17:40
I would say the main reason is money. Then the next is above ^^^ in red.

Then you have people that recommend those product on this site. Gasp!!! I would hope this site would be held to higher standards but I have a feeling it is slipping. People give recommendations on a sample size of one with these products. The real problem is the QC where you hear about problems time and time again with the same companies and then the poor person not only received a defective item but they must suffer through that companies terrible CS.

You may get lucky and never have a problem with some of these parts but you are gambling. I hear a lot more people have problems with the lesser known brands then I do with the well know quality brands. The reason people recommend the other top tier products is because you know you are going to receive a working product and in the slim chance ( and I mean slim chance) something slips by QC then you know you will receive excellent costumer service that's prompt.

I think I would rather take OC to the face, be stuffed in a room with CS gas, and prison raped then deal with certain companies.

Rant over. Back on topic, no I would not accept that lower and I would call them everyday until the make it right. Especially if the trigger pins are sticking out of one side.

BTW, firefighter37, your sig line humors me.

That was the goal.

I once again agree with what you said. People who shoot 200 rounds a year recommend crap, because even crap will last for 200 rounds a year. I have friends with CMMG, Bushmasters, Aero, Spikes, etc. They look at me like i'm crazy when I tell them my 6920s are my shittiest, beater ARs.

dsk
08-09-16, 18:44

Actually government inspectors would likely reject that receiver. You can often get away with dumping components like this onto the commercial market but usually not the military. Colt learned that a long time ago back in the pre-war era when they were known for taking rejected government-contract 1911 parts and simply using them up in their commercial pistols. I'm not saying they deliberately used defective parts, but when government inspectors found flaws in random samples they usually rejected the entire batch, leaving Colt with a bunch of parts they couldn't use otherwise. Colt simply did their own in-house re-inspection of the parts, and those deemed satisfactory were refurbished if necessary and transferred to commercial production.

zecropper
08-09-16, 21:40
So this is my Aero M4E1 rifle I bought a couple months ago. I have probably 1500 rounds through it so far and no issues. Not sure it's as bad as OP but the quality of this rifle has been just as good if not better than other rifles in its price range including my dads Rock River.

Shooting my buds 2800 dollar LWRC though just about ruined everything for me.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160810/d68468cbea8a1ec8ca9c5a88f7fa2e0c.jpg

dsk
08-09-16, 22:04
I don't see a problem with your lower. Looking at the difference in thickness at the mag well area is deceiving thanks to the reinforced rib on the RH side. Looking at it in the hammer/trigger area it seems fine to me.

zecropper
08-09-16, 22:11
I don't see a problem with your lower. Looking at the difference in thickness at the mag well area is deceiving thanks to the reinforced rib on the RH side. Looking at it in the hammer/trigger area it seems fine to me.

That pic is also the wrong part of the lower in question.

Here's the correct pic. Again. I don't really see an issue. Always gonna be better stuff. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160810/6f74e388502453a4f17bc5a6a3cdfa3a.jpg

ncshooter18
08-09-16, 22:17
so if you guys think Aero is junk what is better for a stripped lower? I have another Aero lower that is perfect and runs great with a BCM upper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bruin
08-10-16, 00:40
Mega.

ncshooter18
08-10-16, 07:43
I bought a mega and it is very thin around .86 and fits badly on all uppers I have tried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wanderz
08-11-16, 00:43
Agreed, on the side of the fence with some of the boys bringing up the point of cost of lower vs quality and guarantees blah blah..

If it was a blem, ehh, depends on the sale price... :rolleyes: