PDA

View Full Version : Glock RMR questions

black22rifle
07-24-16, 01:46
I have been thinking about adding a Trijicon RMR to one of my Glock 19s and I have a few questions about it. This will be primarily for carry AIWB so I want to use the original Glock slide and just have it milled out to accept the RMR.

The places offering the milling service to mount an RMR that I have seen ask you to send the RMR itself in with the slide so it can be milled. Is there a reason for this? Do the dimensions of the RMRs vary that much that they need the actual red dot?

As far as the actual RMR mounting is concerned, In between the iron sights is best correct? I am leaning toward having Suarez International do the work for me, if it matters.

I have not yet decided on which actual RMR to use but I am leaning towards the 6.5 MOA dot. Is there a noticeable difference between the 3.25 MOA and the 6.5 MOA dot? I could never tell the difference between a 4 MOA and 2 MOA Aimpoint. Also, the non adjustable LED models (RM01, RM02) are self adjusting correct? They take light in and adjust the brightness of the dot accordingly, correct?

I am thinking that the RM07 would be best for my application, but what is the battery life of a RM07 when the dot is set to a level that works best in sun light and night. For contrast I like an Aimpoint PRO and micro on setting 8 and 9 respectively. At those setting I can see the dot in all conditions including bright sunlight and the battery lasts for over 1 year so I am looking for something similar.

As far as BUIS are concerned what type of co-witness do supressor sights offer? I prefer 2 dot tritium sights but the only ones that I have come across are the ones offered by Suarez International. Are there others?

nml
07-24-16, 03:23
Yes RMR dimensions vary and they want it as tight as possible to minimize movement.

I would change batteries 2x a year -- vs 1x a year with something like Micro.

themonk
07-24-16, 07:20
I have seen most of them and the best work I think is done by ATEi. Most good shops will mill it to your exact RMR dimensions so when you have to take it off the return to zero is easy.

Personally I would not use Suarez as they dont mill the posts for the RMR. Again most good shops will mill the two RMR mount posts into the slide. This helps with on/off return to zero but also doubles the strength of the mount as you are using the posts along with the screws to hold the RMR in place. Just like if you were mounting it to a RMR mount from Larue or ADM. This to me, is a must have and one reason why I dont like the MOS GLOCKS.

Not my pic, but theses are the posts I am talking about:

Not trying to mess up your world but I choose to go with a 6.5 MOA dot to begin with and then moved down to the 3.5 MOA. I prefer the smaller dot as I can turn it up if needed or I can also turn it down for precise shots. Shots on steel at 100y is easy if you do your part. This is totally a personal preference and if you can get the opportunity to shoot both I would recommend it.

As data points Costa has a good set of videos where he walks through setting up an RMR on a handgun and what you should be looking for as does Sage Dynamics and Steve fisher.

https://youtu.be/kSYy2d-QMPo

bighawk
07-24-16, 09:06
I have two handguns with RMRs one is a Glock 19 and the other is the FNX45 Tactical.

The G19 sports the RM06 and the FNX has the RM07 I prefer the RM06 myself as the dot is noticeably smaller.

Both guns have Trijicon suppressor height night sights. They are easily usable through the red dot. I regularly shut mine off while at the range just to practice using them. They should be fairly easy to find if you google search for them. XS and Ameriglo also make suppressor height night sights neither of which I have used. The Trijicons are what was available for the Glock when I was looking so that's what I bought.

I leave the RMRs on 24/7 and have yet to have one die on me but I still change them out every 6 months. I'm sure they'll last much longer but I carry one daily and the other is my bedside pistol so better safe than sorry. The batteries are cheap so that's not an issue. Best thing I've thought of is to change them right before a range trip or at the range and you can confirm zero when you get there.

I have a Suarez RMR slide on my G19 which I find quite nice. The RMR fit is perfect. I have a few thousand rounds on that gun so far with no issues whatsoever. It is my daily carry AIWB as well.

I personally would use L&M precision or ATEI for the milling. I know a few people who have used both and been very happy. There are quite a few people here and on other forums as well who have used those companies with great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HardToHandle
07-24-16, 09:44
I have a Suarez RMR slide on my G19 which I find quite nice. The RMR fit is perfect. I have a few thousand rounds on that gun so far with no issues whatsoever. It is my daily carry AIWB as well.

Let me second these points.
1) smaller dot
2) AIWB also worked for me with a bit more discomfort
3) Suarez slide was very usable

SW CQB 45
07-24-16, 11:13
I too am leaning in the same direction as b22rifle. thanks for posting b22rifle!

if ATEi is chosen for machine work (RMR only) .....is it required to have the slide refinish? (I could not find the answer on ATEi website)

I had my slide worked on last year (ATEi forward grasping grooves) and it was refinished then. I was on the fence back then for an RMR but I am now ready.....just need to find the cash.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/SWCQB45/Gun/IMAG3588_1_zpsh9ruwbsc.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/SWCQB45/media/Gun/IMAG3588_1_zpsh9ruwbsc.jpg.html)

themonk
07-24-16, 11:23
if ATEi is chosen for machine work (RMR only) .....is it required to have the slide refinish?

No, It's separate.

ETA - If you choose not to pay the $90 for the refinishing you would need to hit it with some kind of finish when you get it back so it doesn't rust.

SW CQB 45
07-24-16, 11:29
thanks for the info.

I can do the finish.

drtywk
07-24-16, 12:25
I have two RMR'd Glocks, a Roland Special and a G17. The Roland Special wears an RM06 and the work was done by ATEi. ATEi is the best in the business, IMHO. My G17 wears an RM02 and was done by Mark Housel of L&M Precision, who is also top notch. The G17 was my first RMR'd gun and as much as I like the 6.5 MOA dot, I truly prefer the 3.25 MOA of the RM06.

I know Doug of ATEi personally, so it was no brainer to send my G19 slide to him for the work. For my G17, I was in Arizona for work and actually drove up to Mark Housel's shop to drop off the slide. It was great to sit down with him and just BS about guns, hobbies and life. I would not hesitate to send more work to either Doug or Mark, they are both awesome men.

BillBond
07-24-16, 14:15
No, It's separate.

ETA - If you choose not to pay the $90 for the refinishing you would need to hit it with some kind of finish when you get it back so it doesn't rust.

L&M will put some cold blue on the machined surface if you don't refinish the slide.

BillBond
07-24-16, 14:18
.....For my G17, I was in Arizona for work and actually drove up to Mark Housel's shop to drop off the slide.....

Unfortunately he moved out of Arizona. But I agree that he is a great guy to deal with.

black22rifle
07-24-16, 18:58
I have seen most of them and the best work I think is done by ATEi. Most good shops will mill it to your exact RMR dimensions so when you have to take it off the return to zero is easy.

Personally I would not use Suarez as they dont mill the posts for the RMR. Again most good shops will mill the two RMR mount posts into the slide. This helps with on/off return to zero but also doubles the strength of the mount as you are using the posts along with the screws to hold the RMR in place. Just like if you were mounting it to a RMR mount from Larue or ADM. This to me, is a must have and one reason why I dont like the MOS GLOCKS.

Not my pic, but theses are the posts I am talking about:

Not trying to mess up your world but I choose to go with a 6.5 MOA dot to begin with and then moved down to the 3.5 MOA. I prefer the smaller dot as I can turn it up if needed or I can also turn it down for precise shots. Shots on steel at 100y is easy if you do your part. This is totally a personal preference and if you can get the opportunity to shoot both I would recommend it.

As data points Costa has a good set of videos where he walks through setting up an RMR on a handgun and what you should be looking for as does Sage Dynamics and Steve fisher.

Thanks I didn't know about those posts.

Defaultmp3
07-25-16, 09:40
Thanks I didn't know about those posts.FWIW, Mark at L&M does not machine the bosses; IIRC, he argues that the machined pocket itself should be tight enough to render the bosses redundant, and that the bosses are more useful when the RMR is on an exposed mount, without material to the fore and aft to support it. This only holds true if you send him the RMR to be mounted, of course; the bosses are much more important if it's just machining the slide without an RMR for fine fitment. Another part of the issue, I believe, is that machining the bosses requires a CNC machine.

Here is an older post by Mark where he states why he doesn't use bosses: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnx/33212-fnx45-trijicon-3.html#post371466

IIRC, David Bowie argues that bosses are necessary, with the same basic reasons as ATEi.

I believe the variance in dimensions has to do with the fact that the RMR housings are a forging.

themonk
07-25-16, 09:44
FWIW, Mark at L&M does not machine the bosses; IIRC, he argues that the machined pocket itself should be tight enough to render the bosses redundant, and that the bosses are more useful when the RMR is on an exposed mount, without material to the fore and aft to support it.

I have no issue paying the extra $15 that ATEi charges to have them.

Defaultmp3
07-25-16, 09:50
I have no issue paying the extra $15 that ATEi charges to have them.I personally wouldn't either, except for the fact that I own guns that ATEi doesn't work on (H&Ks); and it's I think it's important to note that there's not any noticeable difference in failure rate on RMRs coming from L&M versus ATEi. Still, if you're a Glock or M&P owner, there's no reason to skip out on having a theoretical advantage for just a couple extra bucks for even more peace of mind.

Outlander Systems
07-25-16, 10:06
Anyone here have hands-on with a Zev slide?

WickedWillis
07-25-16, 15:31
So, are you fairly confident you will love the RMR on a handgun? It's not for everyone. If I was going to start from scratch with an RMR on a Glock, I would personally take a look at the Raven Balor mount for the RMR. It's a rock-solid mount that doesn't do anything permanent to your slide. I shot one at my local range a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed with the build quality on it. The only knock, or minor complain I had was it sits a smidge higher than cutout mounted RMR's do. Just a passing thought, I hadn't considered it until I shot it. It's also less than what most outfits charge to mill your slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld7kI64ragg

black22rifle
07-26-16, 03:23
So, are you fairly confident you will love the RMR on a handgun? It's not for everyone. If I was going to start from scratch with an RMR on a Glock, I would personally take a look at the Raven Balor mount for the RMR. It's a rock-solid mount that doesn't do anything permanent to your slide. I shot one at my local range a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed with the build quality on it. The only knock, or minor complain I had was it sits a smidge higher than cutout mounted RMR's do. Just a passing thought, I hadn't considered it until I shot it. It's also less than what most outfits charge to mill your slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld7kI64ragg

The idea of dropping all that money on it and not being happy with it is in the back of my head. I have come across that mount and also an l mount from suarez but they are both $100 and having a slide killed is only $160 so I figure I might as well just have it killed and save some money. I have been looking in the EE also. I'm looking for a spare slide or maybe one that has already been milled.

black22rifle
07-26-16, 07:31
Has anyone had any problems with the lens fogging up on an RMR? This will be on a dedicated carry gun so I am wondering if it will be a problem during the summer months when going into a hotter or colder(air conditioned) area or even when it has been sitting in my car during the winter time and I holster it.

Defaultmp3
07-26-16, 07:41
Has anyone had any problems with the lens fogging up on an RMR? This will be on a dedicated carry gun so I am wondering if it will be a problem during the summer months when going into a hotter or colder(air conditioned) area or even when it has been sitting in my car during the winter time and I holster it.I'm from Houston, and have yet to have this problem, though I carry AIWB. My guess is that IWB would keep your gun warm enough for the most part; OWB might have more issues, especially if carried in a duty rig where the weapon would not be in contact with the body. You can always apply come Cat Crap or other anti-fog.

themonk
07-26-16, 07:42
I have not had an issue in the summer as it generally keeps the same temp holstered if you are carrying appendix. I have had a fog issue in the winter where I left it in the glove box and when I brought inside it fogged up. But as a general rule I have not had fogging if it was holstered.

bighawk
07-27-16, 17:11
No issues for me and I've had mine about a year in Western Washington where it's fairly wet outside during the fall and winter months. Shooting from concealment outside in the winter time going from warm to cold and back repeatedly and I've had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk