PDA

View Full Version : 1911's .45 to 9mm?

theJanitor
09-02-08, 12:56
anyone send out a 1911 to be converted to 9mm? i think i want a 1911 in 9mm but i don't want to go through the hassle of buying another pistol (trust me, it's a hassle in honolulu) and i have a few that i don't use. i'm thinking of sending one out to be converted, so...

what are the pros/cons of this conversion?
if i do convert it, what particulars should i and the gunsmith be looking out for?
if you have done a conversion, would you do it again? why?
approximate cost?

thanks,

Kent

sff70
09-02-08, 14:04
You can't use a 45 slide for 9mm. Breechface dimensions are completely different.

It is physically possible to put a 9mm slide on your frame, but the 1911 frame has an integral feed ramp, and IIRC this is cartridge specific, so putting a 9mm slide on a .45 frame may be a no go from a reliabiltity standpoint.

Ejectors, too, are different.

Having lived on Oahu and owned several firearms, I realize the PITA you have to go through for legal reasons, but IMO your best bet will be to buy a 9mm pistol.

A .22 conversion would be a pretty straightforward thing, though. Maybe that will suit your purpose?

theJanitor
09-02-08, 18:41
thanks. the 22 is not viable IMO. while i like the 9mm for reasons like cost of ammo, reduced recoil, etc. i need all of my guns to be viable fighting weapons. i just can't trust the reliability of 22 conversions or the ammo itself.

ShipWreck
09-05-08, 20:00
I've been wanting a 9mm 1911 for a while now - I just ordered one in fact...

MarshallDodge
09-05-08, 20:59
Like sff70 said, you need a fully supported barrel for 9mm. Some 45 1911's, like Para Ordnance, use a supported barrel so this may not be a concern.

You will need a completely different slide, extractor, etc. and they may have to change the ejector. If your frame is not milled for the supported barrel then you will have to have this done also.

Barrel w/ bushing $200
Slide $250
Sights $40
Ejector $25
Firing pin, firing pin stop, springs, extractor, magazine, etc ~ $100
I am guessing the gunsmithing will run at least $400.

I looked into this a few years ago and bought a used Springfield Loaded in 9mm for $600 out the door. It shoots good and is reliable. I still like 45ACP better because I can reload it for the same price as 9mm and in my hands is more accurate. :cool:

Boris
09-05-08, 22:20
Unless cost is irrelevant, how about a new M&P9? It's a less expensive and natural progression if you can get over the stigma that 1) it's plastic in part, and 2) it's NOT a 1911. There's also the benefit of extra ammo capacity. . .

-B

theJanitor
09-05-08, 22:28
I've been wanting a 9mm 1911 for a while now - I just ordered one in fact...

what did you order?

Unless cost is irrelevant, how about a new M&P9?

i already put my name in for one of ToddG's ones. i'm still a 1911 guy at heart, though

Boris
09-05-08, 23:06
i already put my name in for one of ToddG's ones.

Doesn't Todd's have something like a gabillion rounds through it? Geez, buy a new one. ;)

i'm still a 1911 guy at heart, though

So am I, but .45 ACP is too expensive for everyday practice/use. I still carry a .45 ACP, but I got a .22LR conversion for my 1911, then got a M&P9 for IDPA.

Food for thought.

-B