PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 magwell

evilmonkey
09-02-08, 14:38
looking for a magwell for my Glock 17 any suggestions? This is going to be my IDPA ESP pistol so I want to make sure it is not so big that it won't fit the box. I was looking at the ones that Glockmeister makes but not sure of there quality?

MadcapMagician
09-02-08, 14:48
Save the money for ammo and practice more reloads. You can practice reloads without firing very easily. Doublestack guns are easy to reload with practice.

ToddG
09-02-08, 14:57
Most semiautos are easy to reload with practice.

The reason people put mag funnels on competition guns is so they can reload them faster with less potential disaster factor.

I've never had one on any gun I carried or competed with, but having shot quite a few guns set up with mag funnels, there is no question you can ramp up your speed and be downright sloppy on your reloads.

I remember a time when someone with a mag funnel on his gun would have been shamed out of IDPA ... oh how the times have changed.

evilmonkey
09-02-08, 15:53
Yes I know some people think that magwells are a waist of money but I am not one of those people. I know IDPA is not suppose to be about how tricked out your pistol can be but adding a magwell compared to say adding compensators or red dot sights is not even in the same ballpark! I'll be the first to admit that I am a big gamer :eek: when it comes to IDPA matches, but even though IDPA is suppose to be about defensive guns it is still a competition!! should IDPA be a how much money you can put in to your pistol? No! thats what USPSA is for. The reason Im adding a magwell is at a regional match this last weekend I fumbled a mag on a reload that cost me 3 or 4 seconds and if it weren't for that I would have been in 3rd instead of 5th! So once again does anyone have a suggestion for a magwell for my glock?

mark5pt56
09-02-08, 16:10
Don't have any, just helping

http://www.botachtactical.com/prgradmagwe.html

same one

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20944&title=GRIP%20ADAPTER%20&%20MAG%20WELL%20for%20GLOCK~

Paul45
09-03-08, 13:45
I just put one on a G35 that I built up for LIMITED USPSA. During timed practice, I have not seen significant time differences but it looks RACEY!!!
As a comparison, I ran the same drills with my G34, G17 and G22. Little if any difference. Could be that I am so slow nothing helps my speed.

ToddG
09-03-08, 22:58
Paul45 -- My experience with mag funnels is limited, so perhaps gotm4 will pop in with some better advice, but ...

Odds are that you're not pushing yourself hard enough. The funnel lets you go "too fast" and still hit the magazine well. Putting the funnel on the gun won't speed up your reloads, but it will allow you to speed up your pace during the reload.

Paul45
09-04-08, 08:09
Todd,
99% of the reloads in USPSA are on the move between targets so it is dead time. The funnel is more for security against a fumble. I could use the help / time in IDPA - always at slide lock and behind cover - wasted shooting time. The issue with IDPA is I shoot SSP, SSR and some CDP. Nothing that allows or will fit a funnel. I only use "BOLT ONS" in drag racing (USPSA). I need something that will help over come age, abuse, old eyes and brain farts.

ToddG
09-04-08, 10:57
The funnel is more for security against a fumble.

That was my point. You can afford to move faster in your technique because there is less chance a fumble will result in missing the mag well.