PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with all these drilled FSB's?

Leonidas24
07-26-16, 01:32
Having been in the AR game for 7 years now, and working on my shop's customer's guns I've never thrown away a part. If customers didn't want any of their old parts back after installing a free-float handguard or what not I decided to keep what ever I could, which is why I now have drawers full of GI barrel nuts, handguards, handguard caps, and FSB's drilled for taper pins. I'm not a gunsmith by any means, and I've never been taught how to operate a mill so my knowledge of this subject is literally nothing. Could I commission a competent gunsmith to install a once-drilled FSB to a new barrel? I've even thought about drilling and tapping the bottoms of a couple of these FSB's and installing set screws to serve as impromptu gas blocks and FSB's, as ghetto as that sounds. If nothing else I'll end up cutting them all down and refinishing them to serve as gas blocks, but then the matter of actually fixing them to the barrel is still at stake.

ISiman/oh
07-26-16, 04:53
If you can find a way to secure them to barrels you can always use them in conjunction with a low pro gas block and make up some dissapator uppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark5pt56
07-26-16, 04:59
A flat is typically milled into the barrel at each screw point when using set screws. Plenty of High Power folks have these and set windage at mechanical zero.

naverno
07-26-16, 05:13
Windchimes.

Col_Crocs
07-26-16, 05:24
Could I commission a competent gunsmith to install a once-drilled FSB to a new barrel?
It can be done. You essentially use the existing holes on the FSB as guide holes. I've only ever seen it done with straight pins though. Perhaps you could still use taper pins if you sized up a little.

GH41
07-26-16, 06:09
It can be done. You essentially use the existing holes on the FSB as guide holes. I've only ever seen it done with straight pins though. Perhaps you could still use taper pins if you sized up a little.

Guide holes??? Guiding you to the perfect place to break a tool. Why would you bother putting labor into salvaging a $30 FSB? I like the wind chime idea or maybe crab pot weights.

Leonidas24
07-26-16, 11:30
A flat is typically milled into the barrel at each screw point when using set screws. Plenty of High Power folks have these and set windage at mechanical zero.

Are the old taper pin holes tapped for this setup?

JasonB1
07-26-16, 12:57
Yes you have to thread the taper pin holes for set screws. There is a hole under the gas port hole that can also be drilled and tapped.

nova3930
07-26-16, 14:04
Guide holes??? Guiding you to the perfect place to break a tool. Why would you bother putting labor into salvaging a $30 FSB? I like the wind chime idea or maybe crab pot weights.

Yah, good way to break a bit. You'd have to secure the FSB, indicate the holes for center in relation to some fixed point, remove the FSB, probably mill a flat to start the drill bit, drill the hole, then ream slowly test fitting along the way. All in all a ton of labor for a cheap @ss FSB. Throw em in a scrap bin with other steel and haul em off to the scrapyard...

BillBond
07-26-16, 14:23
At one time I had 6 take off FSB and was about to throw them out when I put them on a table at a gunshow with other items.
They all sold in the first day.
So in other words some people will purchase anything.

scottryan
07-26-16, 14:26
Dump them on gunbroker. They aren't worth your time to mess with putting them on another barrel.

ColtSeavers
07-26-16, 15:20
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?20223-gt-OFFICIAL-lt-quot-PAY-IT-FORWARD-quot

GH41
07-26-16, 18:24
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?20223-gt-OFFICIAL-lt-quot-PAY-IT-FORWARD-quot

Why would you give away something that is pretty much worthless?

ColtSeavers
07-26-16, 18:45
Why would you give away something that is pretty much worthless?

Eye of the beholder.

SmugPePe
07-26-16, 18:51
Save them. Fsb can be still used with handfit oversize pin or hole redrilled bigger and use oversize rollpin.

I have re-use spikes fsb on Fn barrel drilled at different height for other fsb by drilling the hole bigger and straight then handfit a hardened steel nail. I have long move that barrel to freefloated upper and lost the pins but i think i might still have the fsb somewhere. The barrel was replaced with my true desired cl 16" hbar from bushmaster.

Barrel nut can be used for folks who like retro builds w standard handguard or drop in quadrail. You will come up with use for those parts eventually. The factory handguard should sell easily on ebay bonus point if they are colt or bushmaster.

GH41
07-26-16, 19:38
Save them. Fsb can be still used with handfit oversize pin or hole redrilled bigger and use oversize rollpin.

I have re-use spikes fsb on Fn barrel drilled at different height for other fsb by drilling the hole bigger and straight then handfit a hardened steel nail. I have long move that barrel to freefloated upper and lost the pins but i think i might still have the fsb somewhere. The barrel was replaced with my true desired cl 16" hbar from bushmaster.

Barrel nut can be used for folks who like retro builds w standard handguard or drop in quadrail. You will come up with use for those parts eventually. The factory handguard should sell easily on ebay bonus point if they are colt or bushmaster.

Would you please translate you post to english?

556BlackRifle
07-26-16, 20:26
BCM sells new FSBs for $29.95 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Front-Sight-Base-s/71.htm) and new barrel nuts $8.95 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Barrel-Nut-AR15-p/barrel%20nut%20ar15.htm) so there must be a market for them. Maybe you could sell them as a lot on ebay.

Col_Crocs
07-26-16, 20:42
It's not much different from a pre-drilled gasblock, albeit, the holes are tapered, which, your bit will just cut thru.

Leonidas24
07-26-16, 22:41
It's not much different from a pre-drilled gasblock, albeit, the holes are tapered, which, your bit will just cut thru.

Have you ever had it done before? I've a gunsmith/machinist buddy in my area and he at least wants what I don't, and said it's something he's done before. I'll keep this thread alive once it's done just to report back whether it turned out ok. I'm not expecting a lot from this project, but for a 6 pack of Guinness it's not like I'm out a ton of money. If it works, yay, if not, I defer to those who said it was a dumb idea in the first place.

Col_Crocs
07-27-16, 01:20
I've seen it done a couple of times. I also know of atleast 6 guns on which, this was done. Only with straight pins though and I never bothered to ask what size they were. I would imagine drilling and reaming for a new taper pin would be a little more tricky. There was a thread some time ago where this was discussed.

Iraqgunz
07-27-16, 01:53
New FSB's for barrel that are virgin. Not ones that were already drilled and installed.

BCM sells new FSBs for $29.95 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Front-Sight-Base-s/71.htm) and new barrel nuts $8.95 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Barrel-Nut-AR15-p/barrel%20nut%20ar15.htm) so there must be a market for them. Maybe you could sell them as a lot on ebay.

mark5pt56
07-27-16, 04:44
I've done this one time, after that i give them away or sell them. It's usually not worth your time to sell them unless you have the entire take off, delta, hg's, etc. and you might clear 20.

kirkland
07-27-16, 22:01
Someone mentioned crab pot weights, I like that idea, or you could use them as a weight for a fishing line.

The Resistance
07-28-16, 23:52

Would you please translate you post to english?

Press "1" for gibberish
Press "2" for some English
Press "3" for deportation

MistWolf
07-29-16, 02:19
Make them into ear rings for Hillary

GH41
07-29-16, 05:17
Make them into ear rings for Hillary

For her... A clit ring. Now I have nauseated myself.