PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS

WillBrink
07-26-16, 10:19
My Garmin GPS for my car is totally outdated map wise and does not seem worth the cost of upgrades compared to getting a new one with lifetime map updates. That lead me to consider a handheld unit for both driving and other obvious potential benefits of a handheld GPS unit. Anyone use one? Recommended brand? Was looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Worldwide-High-Sensitivity-GLONASS-Receiver/dp/B00HWL9AS8/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469545922&sr=1-12&keywords=gps

kwelz
07-26-16, 10:23
Smartphone? I haven't had a need for a a dedicated GPS is years. If I am going somewhere with questionable signal I save the maps ahead of time.

Kenneth
07-26-16, 10:27
Smartphone? I haven't had a need for a a dedicated GPS is years. If I am going somewhere with questionable signal I save the maps ahead of time.

I do the same thing. I have navigation in two vehicles and never use them. Also auto navigation updates can be like $600.

Apple and Google update for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
07-26-16, 10:31

I find google maps on my iphone ponderous and a PITA. Do you have a specific app you use/recommend? I also tend to like the larger screen and dedicated interface of the Garmin, and it does not suck up data from the phone. I use phone in a pinch, but still prefer the dedicated GPS. If I get an iphone 6s at some point and an app on it I like, that might do the trick for phone as go to GPS unit.

Kenneth
07-26-16, 10:33
iPhones have apple maps that work well for me but I didn't have a problem with google maps when I used it.

I don't think the smartphone is AS good as a dedicated GPS but I do not feel like I need to buy a dedicated GPS.

just a scout
07-26-16, 10:38
I use a 6+ with the bigger screen. Thought about getting the mount for the iPad mini. Apples maps works well, as does Waze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jmp45
07-26-16, 10:44
I do the same thing. I have navigation in two vehicles and never use them. Also auto navigation updates can be like $600.

Apple and Google update for free.

I have an outlander sport and Mitsi has download map and firmware updates that avoids that cost. Maybe other manufacturers are following suit.

Honu
07-26-16, 13:52
tons of info on just the software side of navigation
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/46-Mapping-Navigation-GIS-(Software)

some apps you can cache the maps so no data is used
the amount of data used in most apps I found is almost nothing

one that quite a few like but there are a ton of others in that thread above
its more to off roading but also covers global travelers so even having something that will work in Panama could be handy :)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps/id299949744?mt=8

GH41
07-26-16, 15:02
I find google maps on my iphone ponderous and a PITA. Do you have a specific app you use/recommend? I also tend to like the larger screen and dedicated interface of the Garmin, and it does not suck up data from the phone. I use phone in a pinch, but still prefer the dedicated GPS. If I get an iphone 6s at some point and an app on it I like, that might do the trick for phone as go to GPS unit.

But the Garmin you linked to has a screen 1/2 the size of my S7. If I were looking at handhelds I would buy another Montana. They run off of AAs or the built in rechargeable. Topo, Birdseye and marine maps are available. Best of all is the screen size. No external antenna and touch screen are other plusses.

tb-av
07-26-16, 15:24
[QUOTE=WillBrink;2354470 Anyone use one? Recommended brand? [/QUOTE]

Yep, Garmin 62SC... PITA ( Same as the 64S without GLONASS ) Those Garmin GPS units themselves are fine, just not for the intended use you mention.

Galaxy S7 with Google Maps... Muy Beuno.

I use this stuff every day and often in areas where new streets are still developing. Today in fact. The Galaxy S7 is light years ahead of the Garmin for the intended use as street navigation.

Tap phone... "take me to blah blah blah... " ... "Ok, Let's go!" I get a visual and an audible. 1/4 mile warnings, take detours as I desire, and it constantly puts me back on track. You can confuse it if you do too much of that. Simple cure... Tap... "stop navigation" ... "ok, navigation stopped".. tap "take me to blah blah blah " Off we go...

tb-av
07-26-16, 15:39
If I were looking at handhelds I would buy another Montana. They run off of AAs or the built in rechargeable. Topo, Birdseye and marine maps are available. Best of all is the screen size. No external antenna and touch screen are other plusses.

So would I. ... and it has jack for external antenna if you need it. I have never used one but having owned the 62SC I like to upgrade to that if I needed it. Again not for street driving but boating, offroad, hiking, etc..

cbx
07-26-16, 16:04
My Garmin GPS for my car is totally outdated map wise and does not seem worth the cost of upgrades compared to getting a new one with lifetime map updates. That lead me to consider a handheld unit for both driving and other obvious potential benefits of a handheld GPS unit. Anyone use one? Recommended brand? Was looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Worldwide-High-Sensitivity-GLONASS-Receiver/dp/B00HWL9AS8/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469545922&sr=1-12&keywords=gps

I have an old school 60csx that's taken me on countless adventures. I also run a dedicated nuvi in my truck. Old school as well.

The life updates for it was -sixty ish dollars.

For me, the problem with phone gps is battery life. I've run half the winter with my 60csx in my abs avalanche bag on lithium AA batteries doing bread crum trails while snowmobiling. I've called in a life flight helicopter using it. In the end, it didn't matter, rider was dead by then. I was the only one that day that had a phone, and good gps. (Next investment for me there is a sat phone) I view my garmin 60 as critical equipment. Plus it has buttons, which for me in that role is mandatory. (Maybe the touch screens now are good. I don't know) external AA batteries is mandatory for me too. All my outdoor gear runs AA lithium. I carry spares in my pack and truck.

For the casual guy, phone is just fine. But I feel in both roles, the garmins are superior. Especially in non 4g areas like here in idaho. If your never in the boonies, phone's are adequate. But to me, having a HUD with everything there some driving and not having to mount and re mount is worth it to me.

Problem with the one you looking at Will, is it doesn't have the driving software.
The one your looking at doesn't do both either. The Montana line does...... It's also 600$.

If I were you, I'd have a dedicated car one, and a hand held. Your the same or less money, have redundancy, and better suited dedicated equipment. It's way nice having all of the data in place. I don't really care to shuffle map data around on either device. The other issue is the size of the offline driving data files. (Again, if your never out of service is fine, as long as the phone works.) Try being in lemhi county where the phone's don't work and even the gps struggles with signal sometimes.

There's times I use Google maps for driving. It works ok. The newer garmins have better voice search. Mine has none. Even with my older equipment, I still prefer the garmin. The lay out is better. They display the street. Google started doing that north long ago. It's getting better, but it's not navteq.

Sorry for the long post.Just trying to share experiences. If your like me, you'll have this equipment a long time.

tb-av
07-26-16, 19:01
Yeah, I should add that when my S7 is in my vehicle it's in a cradle that also charges it. If I were headed into the boondocks I would want a proper GPS. Also one thing you may not know. The S7 can attach a USB thumb drive or disk so you could access a load of stored data. I have not actually tried that for maps, but I expect I could download all the latest GoogleMaps and Topos and such onto a good sized usb thumb drive and access them via one of the map apps. But then you are back to maybe being out of the vehicle and need to watch the battery.

I also keep spare battery boosters and also have an inverter. But even with that I'm really talking about good reception, city/county driving. Just basic USA street driving.

Problem with the one you looking at Will, is it doesn't have the driving software. Yes, that's the deal... it's a whole different experience. It's just not a great driving device. My battery life is not good either for rechargeables.

In the same respect, I wouldn't want to head out off road with just my phone.

usmcvet
07-27-16, 10:37

The smart phone works ok and it's what I have been using the past few years. The problem is you need cell service for the app to work. That's an issue here in VT. I am buying the Next Exit Atlas before my next road trip as well as an old school Atlas. I know the GPS app in my phone does not always take me the best way. Try the app around town or on your way to work and see the crazy ass places it tries to take you. https://www.amazon.com/Next-EXIT-2016-Exit-Interstate/dp/0984692142/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469633716&sr=8-1&keywords=next+exit+book+2016

usmcvet
07-27-16, 10:40
iPhones have apple maps that work well for me but I didn't have a problem with google maps when I used it.

I don't think the smartphone is AS good as a dedicated GPS but I do not feel like I need to buy a dedicated GPS.

I like google maps better on my iPhone. Unless I have missed something in settings the Apple map program doesn't work as well for me. With the Apple map prog I need to have it connected to the car with bluetooth, I can not listen to the AM/FM radio. With the Google App it will override AM/FM and announce turns, the Apple app only does that while I am listening to music via blue tooth. That sucks and is enough of a reason for me not to use the Apple program.

tb-av
07-27-16, 11:15
The only problem I have had with GoogleMaps on S7 is let's say I'm near Forest Ave but want to go to Forestway Ln... It keeps trying to take me to Forest Ave.. So I have to say take me to f o r e s t w a y then say lane. So I spell it out and you need to keep a steady cadence... like you can't spell f o r e s t _ w a y Lane... it will hear that little pause in your voice and apparently it already knows you are near Forest Ave and just keeps trying to lock to it.

the other thing is it pronounces some streets differently than how we do so if you have an odd name, it's best to spell it. It you pronounced Duquesne Ave as DoCain it's no telling where it might try to take you. the other good thing though is it tells you how long the trip will take so if you know you have a 15 minute drive and it says you will be there in 3 hours, you know something is wrong.

firefighter37
07-27-16, 11:44
I just started using Waze for navigation and find it works pretty awesome, even rerouting for traffic.

eodinert
07-28-16, 13:05
I hang out a lot in places that don't have internets, or 'clouds'. I downloaded a program called 'maps.me'... it's free. You have to download detailed maps of the area you are in, but it does navigation also. It uses no network at all.

I've used it in Europe, Mexico, Mali, and Somalia, and I still like it. The maps are not as up to date as google, but for the price, I can't complain.

Smuckatelli
07-28-16, 13:34
If I were looking at handhelds I would buy another Montana. They run off of AAs or the built in rechargeable. Topo, Birdseye and marine maps are available. Best of all is the screen size. No external antenna and touch screen are other plusses.

Complete agreement with you on this. Currently I use a Garmin eTrex 30x with, topo, city street, birds eye, and marine stored on the SD card. It's a PITA without the touch screen. It is great for foot movement but a pain while driving. The Montana and Oregon are good pieces of gear. Plus they have built in cameras.....