PDA

View Full Version : Give me some good TV series ideas

nof555
07-27-16, 00:03
I'm looking for a new series to start watching. I've caught up on walking dead, vikings, and black sails. I have amazon, hbo, and Cinemax temporarily. I'd started watching breaking bad but got distracted and didn't finish it, probably won't since it's been so long.

So please, what are your favorite TV series to come out in the last couple years and why.

duece71
07-27-16, 00:10
Making a murderer on Netflix was good. There is another installment (part deux) coming out soon as well.

Outlander Systems
07-27-16, 00:25
"Stranger Things"

I don't typically get spun up over TV shows, but it was absolutely phenomenal.

/endthread

Koshinn
07-27-16, 00:51
The Last Kingdom on Netflix.

The Man in The High Castle on Amazon.

Bosch on Amazon.

Banshee on Amazon.

The Expanse on SyFy.

darr3239
07-27-16, 01:28
Bosch is very good, as mentioned. Waiting for the next season.

ColtSeavers
07-27-16, 01:36
The Expanse on SyFy.
Seconded.

Colony (only one season so far, next due in 2017... :( )
Suits
Preacher
Fear the (West Coast) Walking Dead
The Venture Brothers
Grimm (on silly side thogh and really coming to an end or should be)
Archer
Mr Robot

pinzgauer
07-27-16, 02:56
Add "Justified" to the above lists if you have Amazon prime

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Endur
07-27-16, 03:11
Justified - Amazon Prime
Dexter - Netflix
Turn - Netflix
Graceland - Netflix
Strike Back - Amazon Prime
The Man in The High Castle - Amazon Prime
Archer - Netflix
Breaking Bad - Netflix
Chuck - Netflix
Falling Skies - Amazon Prime
The Americans - Amazon Prime
Z Nation - Netflix
Psych - Netflix
Scrubs - Netflix
Band of Brothers - Amazon Prime
Futurama - Netflix
Sons of Anarchy - Netflix
House - Netflix
The Following - Netflix
The X-Files - Netflix
Deadbeat - Hulu
Brooklyn 9-9 - Hulu
Underworld Inc - Netflix
Drugs Inc - Netflix
My Name is Earl - Netflix
Blue Bloods - Netflix

Various genres there and some can be found on more than one streaming source (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.).

Honu
07-27-16, 04:04
ditto all above

especially Strike Back and justified :)

did not see and all worth watching bold are must check out :)

Peaky Blinders (love this show has some history as they were a real gang in London )
Hell on Wheels (must watch building the old west rail road just good action and mix of characters)
12 Monkeys
Dark Matter (syfy)
Gotham (new twist on batman not bad not my fav though)
Billions (forgot channel good bad rich guy vs bad gov guy)
Sherlock (bbc love the series and characters just well done show )
The Americans (awesome show 80s soviet spies)

Endur
07-27-16, 04:34
ditto all above

especially Strike Back and justified :)

did not see and all worth watching bold are must check out :)

Peaky Blinders (love this show has some history as they were a real gang in London )
Hell on Wheels (must watch building the old west rail road just good action and mix of characters)
12 Monkeys
Dark Matter (syfy)
Gotham (new twist on batman not bad not my fav though)
Billions (forgot channel good bad rich guy vs bad gov guy)
Sherlock (bbc love the series and characters just well done show )
The Americans (awesome show 80s soviet spies)

I forgot to add Gotham. It is on Hulu btw.

Averageman
07-27-16, 05:33
Animal Kingdom on TNT

Ryno12
07-27-16, 06:57
Last Man Standing on ABC

Best sitcom out there.

The Blacklist on NBC, if you're looking for more of a drama series, is very good also.

rocsteady
07-27-16, 07:46
Banshee - Cinemax. If you don't enjoy this series, four seasons worth, then just turn in your man card and head to the DNC and join all the other ridiculous, sissy liberals.

It had it all, hot women, gun play, action, suspense, little humor, fight scenes, stuff blowing up and even some cool cars. Not much of a TV guy usually but binge watched this show when I found out about it at the end of season 2. Now own the series on DVD as well. Warning: I did slip into a bit of a depression right after the series finale as my life temporarily lost meaning...

Okay, it wasn't that serious, but the show is great.

nof555
07-27-16, 12:30
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated. Look like I have enough now to get through to 2020. Some of these I haven't even heard of. That's why I love m4carbine, it's the little things.

Rated21R
07-27-16, 12:46
I have to echo some that were mentioned:

Peaky Blinders (we just started Season 3 and love it, got my wife hooked too)
Bosch, cant wait for next season

I plan on checking out Orphan Black soon and catching up on The Americans

fallenromeo
07-27-16, 14:08
F is for Family - Netflix

Firefly
07-27-16, 15:49
Mr. Robot.

Hacking. Psychosis. Anarchy.

ColtSeavers
08-01-16, 01:12
Almost forgot Rick and Morty.

Alex V
08-01-16, 06:50
Endur covered everything I was going to say though I will second X-Files and Sons of Anarchy.

How has no one said Game of Thrones? You have HBO. There are 60 episodes. Ready? Go!

Arik
08-01-16, 07:53
Mr. Robot

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
08-01-16, 09:52
Ok, just started watching "The Exapnse". Damn good.

HCrum87hc
08-01-16, 12:44
I can second most of what's been suggested. I've also picked up a few that I need to watch. Here's a few I didn't see listed:

Longmire-Netflix
The Bridge-Hulu
Generation Kill-Amazon Prime or HBO
Dare Devil-Netflix

Koshinn
08-01-16, 15:21
Ok, just started watching "The Exapnse". Damn good.

Next season is in 2017 unfortunately.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-01-16, 17:24
Next season is in 2017 unfortunately.

Yeah I noticed that, sucks.

LoveAR
08-01-16, 17:37
Netflix...The Killing. Especially if you like rain ;)

Plumber237
08-02-16, 00:33
How has no one said Game of Thrones? You have HBO. There are 60 episodes. Ready? Go!

This x 1,000! Plus if you enjoy the show and are a reader, the books are even better/more in depth. GoT is one of the best tv shows there has ever been.

Honu
08-02-16, 07:03
game of thrones falls far behind band of brothers ;)
the pacific behind band of brothers ;)
also behind strike back for me :)

its a great show but still others I like better :)

MegademiC
08-02-16, 11:54
"Stranger Things"

/endthread

I don't watch tv, but caught the first 2 episodes with my friend on Netflix and may keep up with it. Very cool show.

murphman
08-02-16, 12:54
"Stranger Things"

/endthread

I will third "Stranger Things", no need for regular cable because Netflix is putting out hit after hit. Pretty much every Netflix series released in the past 2-3 years has been phenomenal.

cougar_guy04
08-02-16, 13:09
These are all Amazon Prime because I don't have Netflix yet:
Blue Bloods
Justified
The Americans
Generation Kill (Miniseries)
Band of Brothers (Miniseries)
The Man in the High Castle
Strike Back

I've got Vegas in my watchlist but haven't started it yet.

BoringGuy45
08-02-16, 15:55
I've been binge watching the show Tyrant on Hulu. The first half of the first season starts a little bit slow, but it quickly picks up from there. There's some pretty good gun fights and LOTS of eye candy (Moran Atias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moran_Atias#/media/File:Moran-Atias-Wiki_Pic.jpg) in particular is very easy on the eyes).

The show has mixed-to-positive reviews, and admittedly there are some glaring flaws, but it's nonetheless entertaining. My biggest gripe with the series is that they of course had to squeeze in an obligatory gay subplot. On top of this, the main gay character is a whiny, selfish, smug, and insubordinate little prick, and we're supposed to feel sympathy for him because of his situation. However, I do like how the Army of the Caliphate (the name for ISIS in this show's universe) is portrayed as what ISIS actually is: Islamic extremists. Not some group of misunderstood, desperate men with legitimate gripes. I like the show's take that some people can't be reasoned with and can only be stopped with force. They don't go PC here on that subject. All in all, it's a fun show and I'd definitely recommend it.

Arik
08-02-16, 16:08
Ray Donovan

Honu
08-02-16, 16:19
awesome show !

Ray Donovan

THCDDM4
08-02-16, 17:24
I didn't look through the whole thread to see if these were mentioned, but if you haven't seen these check them out.

-The IT Crowd- Man this show was FUNNY as hell!
-Cuckoo- Only the first season though. 2nd Season blew monkey balls.
-Black Books
-The Mighty Boosh
-Another Period
-Wrecked
-Those Who Can't

WickedWillis
08-02-16, 17:40
Justified
The Americans

elephant
08-02-16, 21:49
Billions is a MUST!!!!!
Better Call Saul is a second Must!

How Its Made on Science Channel - its white noise, like background music for me- I have it on when I work
Miami Vice on Cloo - I watch religiously, I have the complete series on DVD, Blue Ray and have over 100 episodes on DVR and still watch it every night

Zim
08-03-16, 12:12
Farscape. Sci-fi with muppets.

sadmin
08-03-16, 13:08
Another one for Mr Robot.
Tyrant
Americans

That's my lineup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Firefly
08-03-16, 14:22
I'm glad I'm not alone in liking the Americans.

There is so much potential for an epic finale. They finally get some real bad dudes on their ass.

As interesting as the characters are, they have to die at the end. Preferably at the hands of White Anglo Saxon Protestant Yale graduate Company men wearing Ray Bans and toting suppressed MAC-10s.

But I just love it for the little touches like Commodore 64, old Coke machines, the Cars, semi period correct payphones, and the clothes.

But at the end of the day they are godless communist heathens and have to die. Plus I've always hated Keri Russell since the late 90s or so. She's like a DPMS knock off of Elizabeth Berkeley.

And if Elizabeth Berkeley is reading, she no doubt is being an afficianado of ARs; Please return to mainstream TV, we all miss you.

WickedWillis
08-03-16, 14:31

There is so much potential for an epic finale. They finally get some real bad dudes on their ass.

As interesting as the characters are, they have to die at the end. Preferably at the hands of White Anglo Saxon Protestant Yale graduate Company men wearing Ray Bans and toting suppressed MAC-10s.

But I just love it for the little touches like Commodore 64, old Coke machines, the Cars, semi period correct payphones, and the clothes.

But at the end of the day they are godless communist heathens and have to die. Plus I've always hated Keri Russell since the late 90s or so. She's like a DPMS knock off of Elizabeth Berkeley.

And if Elizabeth Berkeley is reading, she no doubt is being an afficianado of ARs; Please return to mainstream TV, we all miss you.

Come on now, Keri Russell is great in this show.

Firefly
08-03-16, 14:33
Come on now, Keri Russell is great in this show.

She's a good actor.

I just simply hate her. I don't know why. She just has that face.

That actual Russian chick was hot as hell though.

WickedWillis
08-03-16, 14:34
She's a good actor.

I just simply hate her. I don't know why. She just has that face.

That she was. Reminded me of that Pepsi girl from the 90's though for some reason, the eyes maybe?

Firefly
08-03-16, 14:39
That she was. Reminded me of that Pepsi girl from the 90's though for some reason, the eyes maybe?

If you mean the girl with the glass bottles ('memba them), that was Cindy Crawford before the ravages of time.

Keri Russell has those bitchy cat eyes that are admittedly attractive. Technically there's nothing wrong with her but I think I just can't get past how much I didn't like Felicity and everyone else did.

WickedWillis
08-03-16, 14:45
If you mean the girl with the glass bottles ('memba them), that was Cindy Crawford before the ravages of time.

Keri Russell has those bitchy cat eyes that are admittedly attractive. Technically there's nothing wrong with her but I think I just can't get past how much I didn't like Felicity and everyone else did.

She reminded me of an older version of this girl for some reason;

I agree. I was a pre-teen when Felicity came out and I remember all the rage, and I just couldn't see what they saw in it.

Firefly
08-03-16, 15:00
I meant the one where Cindy Crawford gets a pepsi in a hick town commercial. That was like the 80s?

I remember the little Pepsi girl now that you mention it

Man....I'm old.

Ryno12
08-03-16, 20:04
I meant the one where Cindy Crawford gets a pepsi in a hick town commercial. That was like the 80s?

I remember the little Pepsi girl now that you mention it

Man....I'm old.

1991 I think.
https://youtu.be/B02DGmkqDDU

Honu
08-03-16, 20:15
hahahah OH she does never thought of that till now
She reminded me of an older version of this girl for some reason;

I agree. I was a pre-teen when Felicity came out and I remember all the rage, and I just couldn't see what they saw in it.

sadmin
08-03-16, 22:20
Wait.. that Stranger Things show isn't a children's show? I thought it was like Goosebumps.

ramairthree
08-04-16, 01:14
My wife and I rarely like the same thing when it comes to TV and movies.

Some exceptions are the law and order series,
X files,
And we both genuinely enjoyed stranger things.

SteyrAUG
08-04-16, 01:57

This and House of Cards are probably my two favorite shows. The detail and history is impressive, that fact that it is mostly told from the perspective of how the USSR interpreted events makes it that much more enjoyable.

I've got a different take on Keri Russell though, the only thing I had remembered her from is the pretty hot wife of that teamed up with Moore's wife to deliver telegrams. I never watched Felicity so I guess I never learned to despise her. But more importantly she pulls of her role remarkably well. When she snatches the life out of somebody twice her size...it's believable and presented in a plausible way...unlike most of the Charlies Angles / GI Jane crap that has 110 lb. martial arts experts kicking the crap out of endless bad guys.

Which reminds me of one of the better episodes of Magnum PI where two "karate girls" are unloading on him and he finally cold cocks one in the face bringing the entire conflict to an end. That was quality television.

BuzzinSATX
08-04-16, 06:01
I'll add...

First couple seasons of The Unit (kinda got stupid after a while IMO)

Black List

Dexter

Parks and Recreation...always good for a laugh!

Outlander Systems
08-04-16, 06:47
Naw.

It's a show for Children of the 80s maybe.

Wait.. that Stranger Things show isn't a children's show? I thought it was like Goosebumps.

Arik
08-04-16, 07:04

She was also in a few episodes of the X files that were just on. She's actually half Afghani

sadmin
08-04-16, 07:34
Naw.

It's a show for Children of the 80s maybe.
Watched the first episode. Awesome, great music, costumes, and lighting. I'm circa 79. Thanks for the heads up.

Outlander Systems
08-04-16, 07:52
Absolutely, man! It's like, "The Goonies" meets "Poltergeist" meets "IT" meets "Twin Peaks" meets "X-Files".

Watched the first episode. Awesome, great music, costumes, and lighting. I'm circa 79. Thanks for the heads up.

brickboy240
08-04-16, 10:21
Burn Notice

Koshinn
08-07-16, 00:28
Just finished Banshee. It has one of the better series endings.

MistWolf
08-07-16, 03:48
It's been brought up, but I have to suggest Bosch. GREAT show. I will also throw in with those recommending Blue Bloods. Tom Selleck makes a terrific commish. I'll also give my +1 to Black List

One series I have been thoroughly enjoying is Star Wars: Rebels. Personally, I think it's the best thing the franchise has put out.

Granite Flats is a BYUTV production involving cold war intrigue during the 50s. It's a kid friendly family show, but they end up really going down the rabbit hole. It's too bad it got cancelled.

Talking about crazy secret government experiments during the Cold War era, check out Fringe.

For the Civil War buff, there's Mercy Street. Ridley Scott is the Executive Producer. It takes place at a Union hospital in Union occupied Alexandria, Virginia. It does a good job of showing things from both sides of the conflict

Because it's just so much fun, I'll also suggest The Adventures of Puss in Boots. The first two seasons are funny, clever and highly entertaining. The third season is not as good. It's derivative and the characters, especially Puss, are stereotypical. But the first two season are worth it.

One more, then I'll go. How to Train Your Dragon- Race to the Edge. It's well made and the characters along with the story arc grow as the show goes along. It has it's moments, but overall, it's entertaining and fun. It's not just for kids

Whiskey_Bravo
08-07-16, 07:37
Black sails is a good one. Think game of thrones style show but with pirates.

TheNegativeOne
08-07-16, 13:49
"Stranger Things"

/endthread

Agreed, its phenominal. Definatley watch this.

TheNegativeOne
08-07-16, 13:55

Sci/fi horror.

P2000
08-07-16, 14:37
Here is my top 5 things on Neflix or Amazon, in order

Stranger Things
The Americans
Bloodline
Better Call Saul (if you are fan of Breaking Bad fan, it is the prequel)
House of Cards

Mr. Goodtimes
08-07-16, 23:03
House of cards is good and Narcos is really good as well. Really looking forward to the next season of Narcos. Also, Archer. Best comedy series I've ever watched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P2000
08-08-16, 09:47
House of cards is good and Narcos is really good as well. Really looking forward to the next season of Narcos. Also, Archer. Best comedy series I've ever watched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I forgot about Narcos. That series was awesome.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Honu
11-07-16, 15:43
catching up on longmire
OH MAN season 5 went to the crappers IMHO
ruined the last season of what was a great fun show