PDA

View Full Version : Best AR mags ?

killshot1
07-28-16, 08:53
Anyone here besides me think the Lancer War Mags are the best mags you can run ?

samuse
07-28-16, 09:02
Meh. I still use Okay/Colt 20s, and 30s with Magpul followers after trying most every mag out there.

killshot1
07-28-16, 09:05
Meh. I still use Okay/Colt 20s, and 30s with Magpul followers after trying most every mag out there. Have you tried the Lancers?

bad aim
07-28-16, 09:09
Meh. I still use Okay/Colt 20s, and 30s with Magpul followers after trying most every mag out there.

I like my Okays, too. It's hard to beat them when you can get two for the price of one Lancer (translucent body ones).

killshot1
07-28-16, 09:17
I like my Okays, too. It's hard to beat them when you can get two for the price of one Lancer (translucent body ones). Agreed they are expensive , but you should take an Okay mag and a lancer filled with your ammo and then thumb out the first round you will surprised how much smoother the lancer war mags are and you can step on them or roll a car over them and chances are the okays will no longer feed were as the lancers will keep on running , When it comes down to dependability and my life depends on it, i will grab my lancers and keep my Okays for range practice.

556Cliff
07-28-16, 09:29
I like the Lancer AWMs but their followers don't have very good engagement with the bolt catch on any of the Colt ARs that I have tested them with. The mags can actually become stuck in the magwell when the bolt catch gets stuck behind the follower. Though they work perfect with the Beretta ARX-100 so I keep them together...

wildcard600
07-28-16, 09:50
Anyone here besides me think the Lancer War Mags are the best mags you can run ?

I'll take PMAGs.

killshot1
07-28-16, 10:26
I like the Lancer AWMs but their followers don't have very good engagement with the bolt catch on any of the Colt ARs that I have tested them with. The mags can actually become stuck in the magwell when the bolt catch gets stuck behind the follower. Though they work perfect with the Beretta ARX-100 so I keep them together... I have 14 ARs they have never done this in my guns do you think maybe there is a prob with your rifle? I only have one colt and haven't experienced this yet. That would not be a good scenario ! Sounds to me like possibly the ammo is weak and not sending the bolt all the way rearward. Maybe? I even run these mags in competition....Actually i just grabbed my M&P and tried to make or simulate by hand your Scenario and could not make them do that,,, maybe its a weird colt thing. When i have access to my colt i will try it in it !

killshot1
07-28-16, 10:27
I'll take PMAGs.

wildcard have you ever used a lancer war mag ?

SLewis
07-28-16, 10:37
Another vote for the OKAY/NHMTG/COLT aluminum mags with Magpul followers.
Inexpensive and work flawlessly.

556Cliff
07-28-16, 10:39
i have 14 ARs they have never done this in my guns do you think maybe there is a prob with your rifle?

The bolt catch engagement is worse on my Colt 6940 than the others that I have tested them in but it is still kind of iffy with the 6720 and two different 6920s.

killshot1
07-28-16, 10:44
Another vote for the OKAY/NHMTG/COLT aluminum mags with Magpul followers.
Inexpensive and work flawlessly.

. Try stepping on one or run yours over with a vehicle and then watch it run flawlessly. Thats exactly why the mil is switching over .

killshot1
07-28-16, 10:50
The bolt catch engagement is worse on my Colt 6940 than the others that I have tested them in but it is still kind of iffy with the 6720 and two different 6920s. Now i can make my carrier lock on the bolt catch by manually short stocking the bcg is this whats happening in your colts?

wildcard600
07-28-16, 11:02
wildcard have you ever used a lancer war mag ?

Yes, had issues with rounds spitting out when dropped and a couple of failures to feed. Sample size of one but was not impressed so i stuck with PMAG and USGI.

YMMV

wildcard600
07-28-16, 11:06
Try stepping on one or run yours over with a vehicle and then watch it run flawlessly. Thats exactly why the mil is switching over .

"the mil is switching over" ? Where did you hear that little tidbit ? From the former "operator" behind the counter at your LGS ?

556Cliff
07-28-16, 11:26
Now i can make my carrier lock on the bolt catch by manually short stocking the bcg is this whats happening in your colts?

Nope, the bolt catch sometimes just doesn't engage with the follower enough to lift it up and it will get stuck behind it. I have no problems with Okays and PMAGS in the same rifles.

killshot1
07-28-16, 11:41
Nope, the bolt catch sometimes just doesn't engage with the follower enough to lift it up and it will get stuck behind it. I have no problems with Okays and PMAGS in the same rifles. Wow ive never seen this..... and my lancer springs are stronger than my okays or my p mags or my CAAs

DreadPirateMoyer
07-28-16, 11:59

No. PMAGs and NHMTG. Lancer isn't even in the conversation. Anyway, do a search. This thread has been done a million times over.

You wouldn't happen to be this dingbat, would you? https://youtu.be/pW24EQvg2t0

I sure hope not, for your sake.

SomeOtherGuy
07-28-16, 12:03
Man, all we need is another lube thread, and maybe a Colt vs. BCM vs. DD "which does it better."

The AT&T Operator told me that The American Products Company makes the best mags. I told them I was happy with MCI.

titsonritz
07-28-16, 12:13
OKAY/NHMTG/COLT & PMAG are all I use.

killshot1
07-28-16, 12:16
Nope, the bolt catch sometimes just doesn't engage with the follower enough to lift it up and it will get stuck behind it. I have no problems with Okays and PMAGS in the same rifles.
low and behold there was a problem with a production Lott of followers marked 3-15 under the follower,,,, i just checked with lancer and cliff you have an email from Lancer !

killshot1
07-28-16, 12:19
Man, all we need is another lube thread, and maybe a Colt vs. BCM vs. DD "which does it better."

The AT&T Operator told me that The American Products Company makes the best mags. I told them I was happy with MCI.

Well someotherguy you dont have click on the thread if you dont want to !

Defaultmp3
07-28-16, 12:28
Try stepping on one or run yours over with a vehicle and then watch it run flawlessly.Physical durability is only one of many aspects of a magazine that should be taken into consideration. That being said, the ubiquitous PMAGs can pass those tests, too, and for cheaper. I speak as someone who primarily uses the Lancer AWMs, and while they're nice, I don't see what makes them worth more than a PMAG M3. The AWMs are fine magazines, but they're hardly definitively "the best".

Thats exactly why the mil is switching over .Needs a source, please. The military is certainly changing magazines, due to feed issues with M855A1, but not to any Lancer mag, AFAIK, but from Center Industries. http://soldiersystems.net/2016/07/25/us-army-introducing-m4-enhanced-performance-magazine/

Well someotherguy you dont have click on the thread if you dont want to !He doesn't, but this thread nevertheless clutters up the forum without bringing much substance.

WS6
07-28-16, 12:31
Used many mags. Hands down the PMAG M3 Sand is the best mag I've used.

killshot1
07-28-16, 12:38
Physical durability is only one of many aspects of a magazine that should be taken into consideration. That being said, the ubiquitous PMAGs can pass those tests, too, and for cheaper. I speak as someone who primarily uses the Lancer AWMs, and while they're nice, I don't see what makes them worth more than a PMAG M3. The AWMs are fine magazines, but they're hardly definitively "the best".

Needs a source, please. The military is certainly changing magazines, due to feed issues with M855A1, but not to any Lancer mag, AFAIK, but from Center Industries. http://soldiersystems.net/2016/07/25/us-army-introducing-m4-enhanced-performance-magazine/

He doesn't, but this thread nevertheless clutters up the forum without bringing much substance.
Well sorry to clutter up the forum ! You can spank me now!

Lancer Dan
07-28-16, 12:40
low and behold there was a problem with a production Lott of followers marked 3-15 under the follower,,,, i just checked with lancer and cliff you have an email from Lancer !

Hi All,
In case you may not have seen it, here is a link to what killshot1 had mentioned: http://www.lancer-systems.com/advanced-weapons-components-2/products/magazines-2/l5-advanced-warfighter-magazine/l5awm-follower-compatibility/

And if anyone experiences any issue with any of our products, please, feel free to contact me.

killshot1
07-28-16, 12:41
OPPs sorry double post !

VIP3R 237
07-28-16, 12:42
Used many mags. Hands down the PMAG M3 Sand is the best mag I've used.

The PMAG M3 has been by far the most reliable and long lasting mags I've used. GI style mags are good light weight and cheaper, but they do crush and bend and in my personal experience (manufacturer based testing) they seem to wear out from usage sooner than PMAG's. A surprisingly well made mag is the MFT, we have tested those and have yet to experience a magazine based failure.

killshot1
07-28-16, 12:45
Physical durability is only one of many aspects of a magazine that should be taken into consideration. That being said, the ubiquitous PMAGs can pass those tests, too, and for cheaper. I speak as someone who primarily uses the Lancer AWMs, and while they're nice, I don't see what makes them worth more than a PMAG M3. The AWMs are fine magazines, but they're hardly definitively "the best".

Needs a source, please. The military is certainly changing magazines, due to feed issues with M855A1, but not to any Lancer mag, AFAIK, but from Center Industries. http://soldiersystems.net/2016/07/25/us-army-introducing-m4-enhanced-performance-magazine/

He doesn't, but this thread nevertheless clutters up the forum without bringing much substance.

I never said they switched to lancer ! But they should have !

friendlyfireisnt
07-28-16, 12:53
I don't know that there is a "best" mag out there. There are a lot of great mag choices though.

I have a few Lancers, 2 of the old and a few of the new that I use for .300blk.

Otherwise, I like M3 PMAGs as my go-to mags. I keep a decent supply of gen2 PMAGs as my training mags. I also keep a decent supply of aluminum USGI mags as a backup supply, just in case 20 years from now we find out that the polymer in the PMAGs deteriorated.

killshot1
07-28-16, 13:18
I don't know that there is a "best" mag out there. There are a lot of great mag choices though.

I have a few Lancers, 2 of the old and a few of the new that I use for .300blk.

Otherwise, I like M3 PMAGs as my go-to mags. I keep a decent supply of gen2 PMAGs as my training mags. I also keep a decent supply of aluminum USGI mags as a backup supply, just in case 20 years from now we find out that the polymer in the PMAGs deteriorated.

Good point never crossed my mind ! But for now i will keep all my poly mags , I just do not like the idea that the aluminum mags can be disabled so easily !

sadmin
07-28-16, 13:58
I'm curious as to how in the hell a quarter ton vehicle driving over a magazine on cement translates to reliability in a realistic scenario for a civvy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
07-28-16, 13:59
Killshot1 do you actually find yourself in scenarios where you need to rely on a magazine that's been run over or something similar, or is this concern all theoretical?

You're a bit new around here, and while the Lancers are a pretty good magazine (I own some, I like them, I keep them in rotation), a lot of the OGs around here have been through enough "what's the best" threads to have developed mild carpal tunnel syndrome. Your thread seems less to be a question about what the best is, and more an opportunity to criticize contrary opinions. I'm no Mod around here, nor do I play one on TV, but I've seen some newer people get their feelings hurt by starting threads just like this one. Lancer makes a great magazine, but they're by no means the only great game in town.

This place is an incredibly valuable repository of information shared by a good group of guys (and gals) trying to make the AR world a better place. I hope that you find it as useful as I have.

killshot1
07-28-16, 14:04
Killshot1 do you actually find yourself in scenarios where you need to rely on a magazine that's been run over or something similar, or is this concern all theoretical?

You're a bit new around here, and while the Lancers are a pretty good magazine (I own some, I like them, I keep them in rotation), a lot of the OGs around here have been through enough "what's the best" threads to have developed mild carpal tunnel syndrome. Your thread seems less to be a question about what the best is, and more an opportunity to criticize contrary opinions. I'm no Mod around here, nor do I play one on TV, but I've seen some newer people get their feelings hurt by starting threads just like this one. Lancer makes a great magazine, but they're by no means the only great game in town.

This place is an incredibly valuable repository of information shared by a good group of guys (and gals) trying to make the AR world a better place. I hope that you find it as useful as I have.

Ok how about something as simple as Dropping a loaded mag on to a rock and denting the mag to the point it wont feed ?

And you never know one day soon with the national climate being as it is, you and i might just come into just such scenarios for real !I am 60 years old, im way past my feelings getting hurt ! That's for children and lesser men....

And you know what they say,,, you never stop learning......

sadmin
07-28-16, 14:08
Highly unlikely unless your carabinered to the side of Mt Rainier during the time of the drop. Don't get caught up in all the marketing hype for this industry. Buy cheap mags that feed reliably for range, buy gi mags with updated followers for that "other" scenario. They are coincidentally also pretty cheap. DSG Arms has good sales.

killshot1
07-28-16, 14:23
Highly unlikely unless your carabinered to the side of Mt Rainier during the time of the drop. Don't get caught up in all the marketing hype for this industry. Buy cheap mags that feed reliably for range, buy gi mags with updated followers for that "other" scenario. They are coincidentally also pretty cheap. DSG Arms has good sales.

You have never been around Lava Rock have you ? Trust me a 4-5 ft drop can be enough even on river bed rock !
At last count i had 54 USGI 30 round mags and about 45 USGI 20 Rounders .

sadmin
07-28-16, 14:25
<sarcasm> Well, I can't say I have. But under those conditions you better steer clear of poly mags in case one falls base plate side down in molten lava because of the lower relative melting point of polymer. </sarcasm>

killshot1
07-28-16, 14:43
Well, I can't say I have. But under those conditions you better steer clear of poly mags in case one falls base plate side down in molten lava because of the lower relative melting point of polymer.

LOL there is very little surface molten lava around and trust me again, even if you were around it you couldnt get close enough to drop one in it in normal clothing !!!

I think its time to lock this thread its gone beyond ridiculous !

C4IGrant
07-28-16, 15:00
Best mag is really the mag that BEST runs in YOUR gun. Some people like PMAG's the best for their AR's, but others have issues with them in their AR's. With that said, the Military tested mags and found the Okay/Colt mags to be the most reliable (of the Alum and steel mags).

For me, I like the D&H mags with the Magpul follower and my new favorite is the HK polymer mags.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=235690S

C4

killshot1
07-28-16, 15:10
Best mag is really the mag that BEST runs in YOUR gun. Some people like PMAG's the best for their AR's, but others have issues with them in their AR's. With that said, the Military tested mags and found the Okay/Colt mags to be the most reliable (of the Alum and steel mags).

For me, I like the D&H mags with the Magpul follower and my new favorite is the HK polymer mags.

C4

Well thats one mag i dont have , that and those good looking hex mags !

Falar
07-28-16, 15:51

C4

I saw those the other day shopping on HK's site (I had no idea they started offering mags adn the like at good prices direct, but I hand't looked in a long time) and couldn't believe the price and that I had never even heard they were out.

Usually their mags are extremely high quality but priced sky high so these are a must-try. If anyone can get a polymer mag right it is H&K though I'm not saying that Lancer or Magpul don't. I have plenty of their magazines.

I like the fact that they are all constant-curve.

556Cliff
07-28-16, 16:29
Wow ive never seen this..... and my lancer springs are stronger than my okays or my p mags or my CAAs

There was an old thread on TOS where someone was having the same issues with Lancer AWM 20s... I'll see if I can find that thread.

Edit: I tried to find that old thread but had no luck.

AppalachianThunder
07-28-16, 16:38
There was an old thread on TOS where someone was having the same issues with Lancer AWM 20s... I'll see if I can find that thread.

I know this is off topic, but what is this TOS I hear so much about?

556Cliff
07-28-16, 16:47
I know this is off topic, but what is this TOS I hear so much about?

On M4Carbine.net TOS is code for AR15.com. On AR15.com TOS is code for M4Carbine.net.

TOS stands for "The Other Site".

556Cliff
07-28-16, 16:53
Hi All,
In case you may not have seen it, here is a link to what killshot1 had mentioned: http://www.lancer-systems.com/advanced-weapons-components-2/products/magazines-2/l5-advanced-warfighter-magazine/l5awm-follower-compatibility/

And if anyone experiences any issue with any of our products, please, feel free to contact me.

I will check my followers when I have the time. Thank you!

AppalachianThunder
07-28-16, 16:57
On M4Carbine.net TOS is code for AR15.com. On AR15.com TOS is code for M4Carbine.net.

TOS stands for "The Other Site".

10-4. Makes sense now.

scooter22
07-28-16, 17:21
Can we please lock this abortion?

killshot1
07-28-16, 17:48
Can we please lock this abortion?

LOL i second that !

At least a little good came from it! We got Lancers attention and support for a bad batch of followers !

john armond
07-28-16, 17:56

C4

Grant,
Not trying to sound snarky, as I am genuinely curious, what do you like about the HK mags compared to other poly ones?

26 Inf
07-28-16, 19:39
Try stepping on one or run yours over with a vehicle and then watch it run flawlessly. Thats exactly why the mil is switching over .

I never said they switched to lancer ! But they should have !

Oh, but I think you did, whether you intended to, or not. Clarity is needed.

killshot1
07-28-16, 19:41
sHOW ME !

killshot1
07-28-16, 19:42
Oh, but I think you did, whether you intended to, or not. Clarity is needed. SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THEY SWITCHED TO LANCER!!!