PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a PPQ??

dirkmagurk
07-28-16, 11:58
After handling a PPQ M2 9mm the other day I'm seriously considering picking one up. The trigger is what really impressed me it's the best I've ever felt on a polymer striker fired pistol. My range doesn't have a PPQ to rent out and I don't know anyone that owns a PPQ so I have to make the decision without having ever actually fired one. I've owned and shot just about every other major striker pistol out there but only kept my Glocks and a couple M&P's. Anyone out there with any reason why I should or shouldn't pick one up your input would be appreciated!

Hmac
07-28-16, 12:12
The PPQ is an excellent handgun. I have two of them, one with over 6000 rounds. I also have a VP9, which is also excellent and in that same pre-cocked striker category. I, very marginally, prefer the VP9 from the trigger standpoint. The reset on the PPQ is a little shorter which occasionally can promote a surprise bump-fire second shot.

jhr1986
07-28-16, 12:12
They're nice. After owning both I decided I like the VP9 better. I mostly shoot glocks btw. Buy it, why not?

Ken1973
07-28-16, 12:21
This a range toy or for carry?

With all the aftermarket options available to Glock and M&P, I wouldn't buy a pistol just because it has a good factory trigger.
If you are buying it just because (which is cool) you should check out the VP9 as well (I run a VP9), similar ergos. PPQ is a little shorter in the grip, which helps for carry but won't really matter if its a fun gun.

dirkmagurk
07-28-16, 12:31
I only buy guns for carry or home defense. I owned a VP9 and ended up selling it. The trigger really is the main reason I'm considering the PPQ. I've tried several aftermarket Glock triggers and non of them were even close to the trigger on the PPQ. I guess I'll just pick one up and give it a shot if it doesn't workout I shouldn't have a problem selling it. Thanks for the input!

Big A
07-28-16, 12:34
This a range toy or for carry?

With all the aftermarket options available to Glock and M&P, I wouldn't buy a pistol just because it has a good factory trigger.
If you are buying it just because (which is cool) you should check out the VP9 as well (I run a VP9), similar ergos. PPQ is a little shorter in the grip, which helps for carry but won't really matter if its a fun gun.

What does the PPQ need that isn't available on the market?

LibertyNeverDies
07-28-16, 13:17
I've had a PPQ M2 for almost 3 years now. It's an alright gun but I think they are over hyped. The trigger is quite crisp.

I personally have problems with the ergonomics. When I try to get a high tang grip the inside of my primary thumb rubs the frame and quite frankly it hurts and keeps me from getting a really high grip. Not matter where I rest or flag my thumb this happens. If I lower my hand a little it's not an issue and it feels great. If I wanted to do nothing but print small groups at 25 yards then this wouldn't be an issue, but for a defensive gun I want a high grip on the gun.

I also personally don't like the curve of the trip but this can be fixed with an APEX trigger.

I know I'm in the minority but these are my findings.

Savage018
07-28-16, 13:44
I've been carrying and shooting my PPQ for around two years now. Other than night sights, I see nothing the pistol really needs out of the box.

B Cart
07-28-16, 14:33
You should have zero reservations about getting a PPQ, especially if you like the trigger. I have 3 PPQs and have run them hard and have never had an issue. I also own Glock, M&P, Sigs, etc, and have shot a VP9 on a few occasions, and the PPQ is my go-to gun that I carry every day (i did upgrade my sights).

I really like the VP9, but i don't think it offers anything you don't get with the PPQ - except maybe the HK namebrand. If you like the PPQ and prefer the PPQ trigger, I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't get one.

BatteryOperated
07-28-16, 14:37
I am on my second, however with that said I do not know if I would go for a third. It is a good shooting pistol.

teutonicpolymer
07-28-16, 15:25

A lower bore axis
Bigger magwell opening
Less intrusive slide release levers

Firefly
07-28-16, 18:48
It's a'ight.

If you want one and can afford it, it isn't bad at all.

But it won't be a straight Glock replacement.

Helix12
07-28-16, 20:00
All that answers to threads like this ever show is that we shooters are very much individuals with different likes, dislikes and preferences when it comes to handguns. But since you asked, here is my opinion.

I own 14 striker fired polymer handguns and have owned others that I didn't keep. My three favorites are the PPQ, VP9 and FNS-9. If absolutely pinned down to name the "most favorite" it would be the PPQ. I have an M1 with paddles and an M2 with the button release.

Unless you want night or different sights the PPQ needs nothing from the aftermarket. The ergonomics are outstanding, something it shares with the VP9. Also the long thin and unobtrusive slide releases are excellent. I like them better than any slide release on any gun I own. The PPQ feels solid yet lively in my hand as opposed to the dead feeling that some handguns impart. I enjoy shooting most any handgun, but none more than my PPQs.

The trigger is what many people talk about and it is the best striker trigger I have felt, beating out the VP9 very slightly. It isn't super light but it is very smooth which make it seem lighter than it actually is. It carries well and is comfortable to shoot. Besides that it's just a good looking handgun in my eyes.

I've never understood the practice of buying a new gun to immediately start sticking after market parts on it. And I certainly fall into the camp of people who never, ever change the stock trigger on a carry gun. After owning Glocks for 20 years the only change I make on them is better sights. If the stock trigger isn't adequate then find another gun which does have a good trigger. I like my G19s but, if it came down to them or my PPQs, then the Glocks are gone. But it won't come down to that so I get to keep, shoot and enjoy both.

OP, my opinion is that you should buy that PPQ. To me the PPQ and about 3-4 others, including the VP9 and FNS-9, are at least half a head above all other strikers that I have owned or shot.

Again, it is all personal but, beware the brand fanboys on various shooting forums who can only love one brand in their little hearts. They seem compelled to disparage any other brand or model, often without any real world experience whatsoever with the gun they are criticizing. Their opinion is often as slanted and biased as an MSNBC report on Hillary Clinton.

Hopefully you can somehow have the opportunity to shoot a PPQ. When I started reading about the Q I was able to rent and try one out. That tryout was all I needed and I owned one within a week. But it was the performance that sold me, not the brand, since it was the first Walther I had ever owned. Now, two years and several thousand rounds later, the more I shoot the PPQ the more I appreciate it.

Good luck with your decision.

m4brian
07-28-16, 20:15
I would love to see one with:

- p99 slide release but ambi
- M1 paddles
- little heavier trigger, like P320
- SP 2022 stippling

I would have gone totally PPQ years ago except for the huge slide release.

extremist
07-28-16, 21:18
After handling a PPQ M2 9mm the other day I'm seriously considering picking one up. The trigger is what really impressed me it's the best I've ever felt on a polymer striker fired pistol. My range doesn't have a PPQ to rent out and I don't know anyone that owns a PPQ so I have to make the decision without having ever actually fired one. I've owned and shot just about every other major striker pistol out there but only kept my Glocks and a couple M&P's. Anyone out there with any reason why I should or shouldn't pick one up your input would be appreciated!

Best striker fired pistol on the market IMHO. I own 4, love them. Three are the PPQ Original (M1) and I have the 5" M2. I own Glocks, M&P and have owned XDs and XDms. PPQ is my favorite by far.
I've tried a couple of VP9s when they first came out, to compare to my PPQs, and passed. I had one pre-ordered, and was underwhelmed.

Of course, you'll get a variety of opinions. Take it for what it's worth.

glocktogo
07-28-16, 22:15
I like my M2 Navy quite a bit. I do carry it quite a bit and its comfy in the CCC Nano. Do I like it better than my G19? No, but the trigger is better, so if that's an issue for you, its certainly a viable option.

Ken1973
07-28-16, 22:18

Not much. The OP mentioned he already had Glocks and M&P's so if he's just looking for a good trigger, there are aftermarket options available rather than switching to a new platform.

When you consider the whole package (ergos, trigger, accuracy) it is a fine gun and one that I have considered many times, just not enough of a difference from my VP9 to warrant a switch.

MistWolf
07-29-16, 03:01
I like my PPQ very much. It's accurate and points naturally. Trigger is good, the grip is a natural fit in my hand and I can shoot it well one handed or two. I've never had it malfunction in the 2500 or so rounds I've run through it. I carry it a lot and haven't had any problems from dust, rain or other environmental conditions. I don't clean it religiously, but I don't let crap accumulate.

The sights are plastic and the front is getting a bit rounded. Slide serrations are large and easily grasped. They are also sharp enough to eat through tee shirts where the material is pulled over the pistol. Slide release lever is too long. If I'm not careful, my thumb will press it down and the slide won't lock back.

Factory stippling is a bit smooth for my hands. I used bits of skate board tape for a better grip. Trigger guard has a bit of a sharp edge that rubs the knuckle annoyingly after a few rounds. One of these days, I'm gonna chase it down and do something about it.

The recoil spring has a plastic guide. It works well enough, but it's starting to bend a little. The spring is getting worn- all recoil springs are wear items- and I'm going to replace it. Recoil is starting to feel a bit sharp. My wife has an almost brand new PPQ and it's recoil is softer. Time for a new recoil spring.

I like the paddle mag release much better than the button release and I've been a 1911 shooter for decades. It's not much different than using the mag release of an AR.

All in all, I'm very happy with the PPQ. It's rugged, reliable, accurate, balances well, points naturally, simple to use and is quick. Magazines release and insert smoothly and fully loaded mags lock in place easily even when the slide is closed. It's got one or two quirks, but the good far outweighs the bad and the ugly. In answer to your question, yes, you should buy a PPQ

crossgun
07-29-16, 03:41
I found mine to sit a little high in my hand and to be a little more snappy compared to my M&Ps, VP9s and the Glocks

MistWolf
07-29-16, 03:50
But it returns on target quick, as well

BuzzinSATX
07-29-16, 05:41
My first/only PPQ is a M2 .45 ACP I bought recently. I have about 300 rounds through it so far. I did have one episode of a "bump fire" double tap as mentioned earlier...it has a VERY short reset, and I am not a 1911 shooter who is used to a really nice trigger.

I have many thousands of rounds through Glocks and consider myself a decent shot with my Glocks. But I am a much better shot with the PPQ, and that really surprised me.

I bought the PPQ over what I really wanted, the G30, because I just don't have hands large enough to get a comfortable grip on the Glock. The PPQ fits like a glove, and the trigger is just very easy to shoot well...at this point, a bit too easy to make me feel comfortable carrying it.

I need more rounds through this gun to feel comfortable carrying it, but that will come in time.

Hmac
07-29-16, 07:39
The whole bore axis thing really puzzles me. I had a Glock 19, bought the PPQ to use while I was trying to make the Glock into a reliable, functional handgun (trigger, ejection problems). I shot the Glock OK, but judging by rapid fire splits between the two guns, I shot the PPQ much better. I suspect that those worried about bore axis, "muzzle flip", and "snappiness" might have a more fundamental problem with their grip and technique. Any advantage the Glock might confer relative to bore axis is nullified by the grip and the trigger. IMHO.

I don't think there's much difference in bore axis between the VP9 and PPQ.

ramairthree
07-29-16, 10:44
It depends.

For handguns,
I am heavily invested in Beretta equipment from the DA/SA stand point,
And Glock from the striker fired stand point.

I have owned both since the early nineties and as time has gone by,
Multiple guns, holsters, set up, mags, etc.
I could out fit a squad or two with either.

I have recently had more CZ exposure that did not exist until the last decade or so.
I like the grip feel better than a Beretta. The trigger has more potential. You can get a steel vs aluminum frame.
CZ marketing, produced development, etc. is not the bunch of fvcktards snatching defeat from the jaws of victory that Beretta has been. I can get an out of the box production gun, change sights, get a full sized, compact, and subcompact RAMI, full sized with threaded barrel and suppressor height night sights all compatible. At reasonable prices. If I was going to get started with DA/SA today,
I would get a CZ hands down.
I would have the railed suppressor host for HD. A production/SSP/multi gun full sized. A compact, and a RAMI. With a few extras. Dozens of mags and several holsters.
But...
I am not going to make such a drastic and extensive revamp.

There is a polymer framed striker gun I like much better than the Glock. While Glock is not the marketing failure with multiple holes in its product line Beretta is, it does not have the ergonomics and trigger and desire ability to me as the other gun. Again,
I am not willing to make an extensive revamp.

So their are considerations beyond basic gun to gun comparison.

Having several models of a gun with several holsters and a mountain of magazines and parts and decades of training and familiarity with the platform makes going to a new gun much more complicated.

If you have one gun you had for a year or two,
With half a dozen mags and holster or two, and find one you think suits you much better, go for it.

w3453l
07-29-16, 13:56
The whole bore axis thing really puzzles me. I had a Glock 19, bought the PPQ to use while I was trying to make the Glock into a reliable, functional handgun (trigger, ejection problems). I shot the Glock OK, but judging by rapid fire splits between the two guns, I shot the PPQ much better. I suspect that those worried about bore axis, "muzzle flip", and "snappiness" might have a more fundamental problem with their grip and technique. Any advantage the Glock might confer relative to bore axis is nullified by the grip and the trigger. IMHO.

I don't think there's much difference in bore axis between the VP9 and PPQ.

I have a VP9 and my brother has a PPQ. Shooting them side by side the PPQ is snappier to me. Overall I think the VP9 is a little bit "beefier" in construction, so maybe that's the reason. I do think that the bore axis of the PPQ maybe just slightly higher than the VP9, but I also noticed that I get a higher grip on the VP9.

These differences I mention aren't huge, and I think a big reason why both PPQ and VP9 give fast follow up shots is the shape/angle of the grip. The grips are what I think really help with these guns.

Bret
07-29-16, 14:14
I have a 40S&W PPQ. The trigger is awesome, the ergonomics are great, and it is easily the most accurate or 2nd most accurate 40S&W pistol that I own. Unfortunately, it's not reliable. It will run the 40S&W ammo that has more rounded bullet profiles just fine, but the ammo that has bullets which look like pyramids with a flat top often fail to feed. The recoil spring assembly rubs the underside of the slide resulting in loose chips and gouges in the underside of the slide. You can often feel the slide hesitating when shooting it. Clearly something is wrong with it. Here's where it gets bad. I sent it back to Walther and they returned it saying that it checked out fine. I shot it and experienced the same problem. I called and asked them how many rounds they fired through it and was told one magazine. I then sent it back again because they promised to shoot more through it. Same result, they claimed that they couldn't get it to malfunction. I got it back and it was still malfunctioning. So, I offered to send them some of the ammo that I was using. They said ok. They got it and shot it using my ammo and it did malfunction. They then blamed the ammo. Keep in mind that this is US made SAAMI ammo from three different manufacturers that has proven 100% reliable in all my other 40S&W pistols. I asked them to tell me what was wrong with the ammo, but of course they couldn't. I asked them what about all the metal chips, the recoil spring rubbing (as evidenced by polished areas on it) and the gouges in the underside of the slide. They said that there was nothing wrong. Then to add insult to injury, they said that I'd have to pay for return shipping to them. I told them that I wouldn't and didn't want it back until they fixed it. I obviously can't bet my life on it and wouldn't sell it to a fellow shooter because he would just end up going through the same crap. I found out on the Walther forum that others were having the same problems. One guy with a s/n close to mine even went so far as to put up a video of his pistol malfunctioning on youtube. They called him back and offered to replace the pistol on the condition that he'd pull down the video which he did. Over then next several months they called a few times asking for my credit card information to pay for the return shipping. Each time I told them that they need to fix or replace it and ship it back on their expense. After about six months, the pistol was just delivered to me. The bottom line here is that there's no way I'd recommend buying the 40S&W version. And, if there is a problem their ability to determine the root and fix it is poor. They are absolutely not upstanding like Ruger, Glock, S&W, etc.

Hmac
07-29-16, 14:17
I have a VP9 and my brother has a PPQ. Shooting them side by side the PPQ is snappier to me. Overall I think the VP9 is a little bit "beefier" in construction, so maybe that's the reason. I do think that the bore axis of the PPQ maybe just slightly higher than the VP9, but I also noticed that I get a higher grip on the VP9.

These differences I mention aren't huge, and I think a big reason why both PPQ and VP9 give fast follow up shots is the shape/angle of the grip. The grips are what I think really help with these guns.

I guess I haven't expended any mental energy on discerning the reasons I shoot those two better, nor have I paid any attention to "snappiness" of either one. I only know that I shoot both the VP9 and the PPQ better than any other pistol I own, or have owned. I don't carry either one of them...too big to suit me. If and when I do carry, I carry a Walther PPS (now Walther PPS M2).

Mjolnir
07-29-16, 20:25
https://lanzerbot.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/case-study-ppq-vs-vp9-trigger/

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Mjolnir
07-29-16, 20:26
I prefer the HK but I prefer the PPQ's trigger design.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

crusader377
07-29-16, 22:06
Is the PPQ a good gun? Absolutely.

Would I buy one for home defense or carry? Absolutely not. My reasoning is that its trigger is way too light IMO for a gun without safety. I consider myself an experienced shooter and I have been in very stressful situations and I take a more cautious and pragmatic outlook and prefer traditional double action guns for my home defense weapon. Also driving this is that I have a family and I simply prefer a gun with a longer initial pull especially in very tense situations which most likely will be in low light situations. For myself the Beretta 92 is the best answer.

The question you need to ask is the following: "Is the PPQ the right gun for you and your unique carry and home defense requirements?" You need to take a hard look at your life situation, training level, commitment to continual training, etc...

multistage
07-30-16, 01:27
It has a sweet trigger, holds 15 rounds of 9mm (+1), and is a size I find perfect: full size gun yet easy to carry.

I have one. Highly recommend it.

JackFanToM
07-30-16, 10:18
I have carried my PPQ for 3 years, at only slightly bigger than the g-19, it is one of the smallest full size polymer striker fired guns. The whole "trigger too light" nonsense is absurd. Like any platform you train with it. I have drawn from concealment and fired thousands of rounds, and the majority were on a timer.
I use an Oynx by Stealthgear holster IWB, and I train.
I dumped an m&p for this handgun and have been 100% satisfied.
The "not enough aftermarket " argument is also absurd. The handgun works accurately with a very good trigger out of the box. There are several companies that make sights, and I "wanted" not "needed" a steel recoil rod, and had no issue finding one. I'm not sure what else you could possibly want, since there is nothing that needs "fixing".

Hmac
07-30-16, 10:53
Yeah. Aftermarket support.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3c/25/b4/3c25b4df6cb6e983446a4ebb7833a513.jpg

Helix12
07-31-16, 10:52
I have carried my PPQ for 3 years, at only slightly bigger than the g-19, it is one of the smallest full size polymer striker fired guns. The whole "trigger too light" nonsense is absurd. Like any platform you train with it. I have drawn from concealment and fired thousands of rounds, and the majority were on a timer.
I use an Oynx by Stealthgear holster IWB, and I train.
I dumped an m&p for this handgun and have been 100% satisfied.
The "not enough aftermarket " argument is also absurd. The handgun works accurately with a very good trigger out of the box. There are several companies that make sights, and I "wanted" not "needed" a steel recoil rod, and had no issue finding one. I'm not sure what else you could possibly want, since there is nothing that needs "fixing".

I like this post, especially the bolded statement.

dirkmagurk
07-31-16, 14:19
Well just got back from the range with my new PPQ m2. I ran 200 rds of Federal 115gr fmj and 15 rds of my carry load Speer 124gr +p. The only issue I had was with the magazine release button, I released it inadvertently with my palm while firing. After that I was careful not to grip it as firmly and it didn't happen again. The accuracy was on par with my Glocks and M&Ps out to 15 yds but I shot one of the my best groups ever at 25 yds with the PPQ 5 rds in about a 5" group standing unsupported. I did notice that the PPQ had a bit more muzzle flip than a Glock or M&P but nothing unmanageable I mean shit it's a 9mm. I'll have to get some more serious range time and maybe run the PPQ through a class before I feel comfortable carrying it but as of now I'm happy with it's performance.

bjxds
08-01-16, 21:20
Well just got back from the range with my new PPQ m2. I ran 200 rds of Federal 115gr fmj and 15 rds of my carry load Speer 124gr +p. The only issue I had was with the magazine release button, I released it inadvertently with my palm while firing. After that I was careful not to grip it as firmly and it didn't happen again. The accuracy was on par with my Glocks and M&Ps out to 15 yds but I shot one of the my best groups ever at 25 yds with the PPQ 5 rds in about a 5" group standing unsupported. I did notice that the PPQ had a bit more muzzle flip than a Glock or M&P but nothing unmanageable I mean shit it's a 9mm. I'll have to get some more serious range time and maybe run the PPQ through a class before I feel comfortable carrying it but as of now I'm happy with it's performance.

AND I think the more you shoot it the more you will like it. I have seen reports about people putting stiffer mag release springs for those that are problematic. I have never had that issue. The slide lever is something I needed to work on because I would hit it with my thumb, and fail to lock open. The mag well seems to be not as large as Glock , and slowed me down at first, but training cured that as well. As far as the sights, I originally thought they were POS plastic and they probably are BUT..... they have lasted through everything I have put it through including one handed slide racks. When they break on my range gun I will replace them, even though they lasted and proved to be a lot more durable than I expected, really can't trust them on a dedicated gun used for other than range use. 10-8 and Dawson has some good alternatives. I really don't like the Tiji's on the PPQ and Ameriglo doesn't make the Pro's for it, which would be my preference.

You hit the nail on the head by taking a class with it AND STRESS Test it to find you weak spots with the gun. The G19 is the perfect carry size, and initially mag changes are easier but overall I think the PPQ has it beat. RUN it Hard and Enjoy.

extremist
08-01-16, 21:28
My PPQs are so much more comfortable to shoot than my Glocks. Right now my Glocks are pretty much relegated to my once a year GSSF Match at Dallas Pistol Club - Carrollton, TX. I used a Glock 19 at a Rob Pincus taught Combat Focus Shooting Class for 2 days and got a blister on my third finger where it rubbed me wrong. Wish I would have had my PPQ :).

I'm planning on running my PPQ 5" at my next Front Sight 4DHG class and see how I do. I initially had issues with the mag release on the M2 also, but trained around it - and better yet I run my 5" top on my M1 frame because I prefer the paddle releases myself.

calm
08-05-16, 20:02
I've had great experiences at the range shooting a PPQ. I wonder how that would translate for something like 2-gun with the very light trigger.

extremist
08-05-16, 20:45
I've had great experiences at the range shooting a PPQ. I wonder how that would translate for something like 2-gun with the very light trigger.

It would translate into very good hits very quickly ;)

I like using my PPQ for 2-Gun and Multi-Gun.

dirkmagurk
08-06-16, 15:33
I have 600 rounds through my PPQ now and I'm having some ergonomic issues. I've had unintentional mag drops and a few times the slide has failed to lock back on the last round due to me riding the slide stop. If I focus on altering my grip it isn't an issue but I'm so used to an aggressive thumbs forward grip it takes some extra effort to avoid that mag button and slide stop. The trigger is truly amazing and makes shooting accurately seem effortless compared to any other striker fired pistol I've shot. I don't plan on investing in extra mags spare parts or holsters for the PPQ though due to the ergo issues I'm personally having. I plan on keeping it around It'll be my designated bring out every now and then to show off at the range pistol.

JackFanToM
08-06-16, 15:35
Try the large backstrap and put your strong hand thumb on top outside of weak. Issue solved, still thumbs forward

dirkmagurk
08-06-16, 20:25
I always use the large blackstraps, I have meat hooks for hands that's the problem haha.

Mozart
08-19-16, 02:41
I just sold my PPQ M2 9mm and replaced it with a G19 gen4. Why:

Parts cost and availability, particularly going forward. That's all.

I love the PPQ. It's the direction glock should be moving in, but won't. Ergonomics, trigger, looks, materials, fit and finish, are all better than in the Glocks, and reliability is at least on par. Having said that, I dislike paying $35+ for a magazine when I can get a literally bomb proof Pmag GL9 for $14. And each of the PPQ mags rattled badly when fully loaded. I know they're mecgar but I didn't feel like they were durable.

Look, it's pretty likely that we're going to see a Hillary presidency. And therefore a Supreme Court that will move against our self defense rights. I wanted to position myself so that if another 15 rnd mag is never manufactured again, I can still find them used for a reasonable price. The PPQ simply isn't as prolific as the G19. The M2 came out in what, 2011?Its not super popular and it's very young. If they're $35 now, what'll they be when there's no more new ones and there's only x number out there?

By comparison, There's a metric ass ton of G19 mags out there, going back 2 decades +! And at $14 a pop for the Magpul ones, I can stock up now. Same thing with spare parts. If I want a spare RSA for a glock, anyone will sell me one. With the PPQ I am forced to go to Walther itself or Earl? And get charged how much for a damn spring? Why in the shit doesn't Walther distribute to places like brownells?

Rare things are expensive, and nothing is less rare in America than a G19. So as a weapon system to put training and time and money into, I have to stick with the standard bearer, even if the PPQ is arguably superior. I'll miss it! I already miss having front slide serrations.

dirkmagurk
08-19-16, 03:36
Those are all valid points. I have no intention of investing in the PPQ. I'm too deeply invested in Glock, been shooting and buying Glocks since the late 90's. I have more Glock mags and spare parts than I will ever need in my lifetime. That being said it just gets boring shooting the same platform all the time which is why I picked up a PPQ.

noonesshowmonkey
08-19-16, 13:35
I've a few handguns on my 'to buy' list, and the PPQ is at or near the top, right along with the Cz P-07.

Every time I handle or shoot one, I think 'god damn, I should buy one.' Then, I get home, clean my Glock 19 (or, don't), and look up the prices of the other handguns. I've even had them in my checkout cart a few times. Then, I think, 'how much 9mm could I buy with that money?' And then, I either close it all down or I buy a bunch of 9mm with that money.

Discipline sucks sometimes, but I am not in a place in my life where I have money laying around for whatever whatever. I have to make choices. And as much as I really enjoy the PPQ, and can see it as a superior design in many ways, I know that my time and money is better spent shooting and training than on another tool for the sake of collecting.

It's definitely a 'some day' gun, though.

Helix12
08-19-16, 16:33
I've a few handguns on my 'to buy' list, and the PPQ is at or near the top, right along with the Cz P-07.

Every time I handle or shoot one, I think 'god damn, I should buy one.' Then, I get home, clean my Glock 19 (or, don't), and look up the prices of the other handguns. I've even had them in my checkout cart a few times. Then, I think, 'how much 9mm could I buy with that money?' And then, I either close it all down or I buy a bunch of 9mm with that money.

Discipline sucks sometimes, but I am not in a place in my life where I have money laying around for whatever whatever. I have to make choices. And as much as I really enjoy the PPQ, and can see it as a superior design in many ways, I know that my time and money is better spent shooting and training than on another tool for the sake of collecting.

It's definitely a 'some day' gun, though.

As much as I like the PPQ, I believe you are making the right choices. The Glock 19 is a fine gun which has been around a long time. Because of that and its excellent reputation it is the standard by which all other 15-round strikers are judged. Although I think the PPQ and a select few others have advantages over the G19, those advantages are subtle rather than major. If I could only have one 9mm polymer striker and that one had to be a Glock 19, I would not be disappointed.

You are using your money wisely. "Shooting" is more important than just "having". Ammunition allows you to do that. Better to have ammo and actually shoot your G19 than just having a new PPQ that you can't afford to shoot as much.

I've been where you are and I'm sure lots of other posters on this board have been also. As you go through time, your financial position will likely improve and you can buy that PPQ.

Good luck.