PDA

View Full Version : Afghan terp looking to reconnect

bad aim
07-29-16, 11:52
Hey guys, this is a kind of a crazy story, but an Uber driver of mine last night turns out to have been an Afghan interpreter working with an Army SF team doing night operations with an Afghan Provincial Response Company. He's been in America for a while and was looking at potentially reconnecting with some of the guys he served with. Would anyone have pointers on how I can make this possible?

He was mainly in Kapisa province from 2011-2014 and has shown me pictures of him in kit along with other folks.

He knows the name of his American TL and the team number that he was with, and I'll gladly share it with someone if they're able to contact me via PM and potentially point him in the right direction! He seems like a solid dude.

Thanks!

ABNAK
07-29-16, 12:01
Hey guys, this is a kind of a crazy story, but an Uber driver of mine last night turns out to have been an Afghan interpreter working with an Army SF team doing night operations with an Afghan Provincial Response Company. He's been in America for a while and was looking at potentially reconnecting with some of the guys he served with. Would anyone have pointers on how I can make this possible?

He was mainly in Kapisa province from 2011-2014 and has shown me pictures of him in kit along with other folks.

He knows the name of his American TL and the team number that he was with, and I'll gladly share it with someone if they're able to contact me via PM and potentially point him in the right direction! He seems like a solid dude.

Thanks!

To protect the SF guys (and their families) that he served with if you got contact info I'd get in touch with them myself and see if it was kosher to give him their information.

Come to think about it, I'd probably give the SF guys his contact info and they could do so if they felt it was okay.

bad aim
07-29-16, 12:19
To protect the SF guys (and their families) that he served with if you got contact info I'd get in touch with them myself and see if it was kosher to give him their information.

Come to think about it, I'd probably give the SF guys his contact info and they could do so if they felt it was okay.

Solid copy on that. Will get consent/give a heads up to the SF guys before doing anything further if we're able to locate.

sevenhelmet
07-29-16, 12:43

Definitely this. I'd have asked for his contact info so I could pass it on. If he's legit, he should understand.

KalashniKEV
07-30-16, 11:19
Would anyone have pointers on how I can make this possible?

Tell him to hit them up on FB.

/EOT

bad aim
07-30-16, 11:42

/EOT

Kind of hard when you don't know their full names.

sevenhelmet
07-30-16, 12:18

/EOT

I can't figure out if you're joking or not. The people I know who have gone to work with/for/on SOF teams have all had to delete their social media accounts. Every. Single. One. It's also standard fare for instructors at SERE to use against you. Even a lot of non-SOF guys are being a lot more careful with their info and/or changing their account names after ISIS published a hit list of Navy pilots a couple of years ago.

I'd say contact the unit (or someone you know in the community) and give them the 'terp's info and dates in AOR. Let them handle it. If he's for whatever reason not legit, then you didn't divulge anything that could impact someone else's security. This stuff is hard to do for good reason. Anybody could flash some pictures and say they were there and want to "re-connect". I'm not accusing this guy of doing that, just pointing out the obvious.

KalashniKEV
07-30-16, 13:06
The people I know who have gone to work with/for/on SOF teams have all had to delete their social media accounts. Every. Single. One.

I feel awkward telling you this... maybe they just don't want to receive your friend requests?

I have a handful of both current and former SOF guys I'm FB friends with from my time in service. Not all of them are super active, not all of them use their real names, not all of them use an actual face pic as a profile pic. I don't either.

Also, I don't think any of them have wide-open-profiles, but we're friends, so I wouldn't know.

Almost everyone on earth uses social media, and there is no such prohibition.

Benito
07-30-16, 13:47
This sounds like a green on blue workplace violence incident just waiting to randomly occur. NRA's fault. And the Crusades.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-30-16, 14:16
I can't figure out if you're joking or not. The people I know who have gone to work with/for/on SOF teams have all had to delete their social media accounts. Every. Single. One. It's also standard fare for instructors at SERE to use against you. Even a lot of non-SOF guys are being a lot more careful with their info and/or changing their account names after ISIS published a hit list of Navy pilots a couple of years ago.

I'd say contact the unit (or someone you know in the community) and give them the 'terp's info and dates in AOR. Let them handle it. If he's for whatever reason not legit, then you didn't divulge anything that could impact someone else's security. This stuff is hard to do for good reason. Anybody could flash some pictures and say they were there and want to "re-connect". I'm not accusing this guy of doing that, just pointing out the obvious.

Lol, what?

GTF425
07-30-16, 14:59
The people I know who have gone to work with/for/on SOF teams have all had to delete their social media accounts. Every. Single. One.

For what it's worth, that's not a mandated policy.

That might be a thing for the dudes in Orange (I have no idea), but even still, there are some of the black side SOF dudes that have various social media accounts. As long as you don't violate the NDA after you're read-on, you're good.