PDA

View Full Version : P08 Luger

Bret
07-29-16, 14:36
I recently purchased an Interarms Mauser American Eagle chambered in 9mm. Interestingly, it's a C&R, so I was able to save some money by having it delivered directly to me. I took it to the range today to shoot it for the first time.
https://s32.postimg.org/kjvpd0gmt/IMG_2740.jpg
The first thing that I quickly figured out is that I had to be doing something wrong when loading the magazine. Three cartridges were all that I could insert, even when trying to push down the button on the side of the magazine. I looked around in the box and found a special tool. Upon examination, I determine that it's designed to go over the button on the side of the magazine in order to retract the spring. It's still the most difficult pistol magazine that I've ever loaded, but I eventually got pretty good at inserting 8 cartridges in it.

After firing a few rounds, I quickly determined that the recoil is sharp, the trigger is very nice other than having a weak reset, and the accuracy is very good. I did have one failure to eject during the first magazine, but none after that.
https://s32.postimg.org/wn5mebh2t/IMG_2741.jpg
I also had one failure to fire, but it did fire when I pulled the trigger again.

Overall, it's a very interesting pistol, but I can't ever imagine using one for personal protection. I always had the impression that the P38 was developed as a less expensive to manufacture alternative, but now realize that the P38 is just a better pistol overall. Still, I'm very happy that I have it in my collection.

I would like to dampen the recoil and improve the trigger reset. For those who have worked on P08's, would I be correct to assume that simply installing a heavier recoil spring is the way to go in order to dampen the recoil? Would replacing the striker spring help with the reset or is there a different spring involved?

HeruMew
07-29-16, 14:41
I recently purchased an Interarms Mauser American Eagle chambered in 9mm. Interestingly, it's a C&R, so I was able to save some money by having it delivered directly to me. I took it to the range today to shoot it for the first time.
https://s32.postimg.org/kjvpd0gmt/IMG_2740.jpg
The first thing that I quickly figured out is that I had to be doing something wrong when loading the magazine. Three cartridges were all that I could insert, even when trying to push down the button on the side of the magazine. I looked around in the box and found a special tool. Upon examination, I determine that it's designed to go over the button on the side of the magazine in order to retract the spring. It's still the most difficult pistol magazine that I've ever loaded, but I eventually got pretty good at inserting 8 cartridges in it.

After firing a few rounds, I quickly determined that the recoil is sharp, the trigger is very nice other than having a weak reset, and the accuracy is very good. I did have one failure to eject during the first magazine, but none after that.
https://s32.postimg.org/wn5mebh2t/IMG_2741.jpg
I also had one failure to fire, but it did fire when I pulled the trigger again.

Overall, it's a very interesting pistol, but I can't ever imagine using one for personal protection. I always had the impression that the P38 was developed as a less expensive to manufacture alternative, but now realize that the P38 is just a better pistol overall. Still, I'm very happy that I have it in my collection.

I would like to dampen the recoil and improve the trigger reset. For those who have worked on P08's, would I be correct to assume that simply installing a heavier recoil spring is the way to go in order to dampen the recoil? Would replacing the striker spring help with the reset or is there a different spring involved?

Can't help you with the improvement parts of that.

But I sure am jealous. She sure is purty.

If you don't mind me asking, with your C&R, how much was that beaut shipped to the door?

Bret
07-29-16, 15:08
It was $1,000 delivered. For some reason the seller didn't charge me shipping because I did the buy it now. I've been watching these on GunBroker for a couple of years. They almost always go for over $1,000. The exception would be well used ones. Oddly, most being offered for sale are new or darn close. Although the bidding started at $100, I knew this one wouldn't make it to the end of the auction with the $1,000 buy it now options. So, I just went ahead and bought it. After receiving it, I'm glad I did. The seller's description indicated that it's has the "swiss pattern grip configuration". I honestly have no idea what that means, so I did an internet search to figure it out. I then happened upon a post which indicated that the Interarms swiss pattern grip configuration P08's are C&R. I then found it in the ATF's list of C&R's. The seller didn't mention it being a C&R, so I just took the liberty to print out the page from the ATF's book and sent it along with my payment and signed C&R FFL. A friend of mine swore that the seller would refuse to ship it directly to me, but it showed up a week later.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/567057634

BBossman
07-31-16, 07:48
Wolff makes replacement springs for the Luger, just put a "service pack" in it to freshen everything up.

brickboy240
08-02-16, 12:35
One thing to note about the P-08 is that it actually "likes" hotter ammo. The US made 115gr stuff will cause feeding issues all day long with my Luger. However, if I feed it European 124gr fmj ammo...it is happy as a clam! Yes, the Luger is normally very accurate but i don't find the recoil on mine to be bad at all.

It is odd that you have such a time loading the magazine. I can load mine with no tool over and over. I also suggest getting a few Mec Gar Luger mags, as they work very well and might cure some feeding issues. My Luger has an original 1918 wooden bottom mag so I don't use it and mostly shoot it with the MecGar mag.

A spring replacement, a Mec Gar mag and some 124gr ammo might totally clear your problems. The Luger was designed to shoot a heavier 124gr load and likes it best.

S&B and the Greek HXP Olympic 124gr 9mm FMJs run very well in those guns.

Herkemer
08-03-16, 23:02
Very Nice!

I had one in .30 Luger a long time ago. Got two boxes of fiocci 30 luger and reloaded them afterwords. Went looking for magazines at a gun show and a dude said that 9 and 30 are the same mag. Turned out he was right.

I don't understand the mag loading issues. I never had a problem with it.

Good buy and have fun, I did! (Now you got me looking at the Simpson site again)

MountainRaven
08-03-16, 23:46
Very Nice!

I had one in .30 Luger a long time ago. Got two boxes of fiocci 30 luger and reloaded them afterwords. Went looking for magazines at a gun show and a dude said that 9 and 30 are the same mag. Turned out he was right.

Good buy and have fun, I did! (Now you got me looking at the Simpson site again)

Classic Firearms got a bunch of Swiss Lugers in last week and put them up for sale Monday (I think, may have been Tuesday), but I don't know if they have any left.

Herkemer
08-04-16, 00:31
Classic Firearms got a bunch of Swiss Lugers in last week and put them up for sale Monday (I think, may have been Tuesday), but I don't know if they have any left.

Too late. Way cool! Whoda thunk there were stocks of those left. Grip safety...eeeehhhh, still cool!

Bret
08-04-16, 07:55
I don't really understand either, but the one that came with mine is incredibly difficult to load. It will be interesting to see how the Mec-Gar magazines compare. I'm also going to buy a loading tool that I found on Midway.com.