PDA

View Full Version : DD comes through for local LE agency

tremor64
07-29-16, 16:22
DD comes through for local LE agency - article in our local paper (link below) - just a nice word about Daniel Defense and their willingness to come through for my local law enforcement
http://www.championnewspapers.com/news/article_e8581fba-5043-11e6-8c54-8f5ed4371594.html

With police departments across America apparently under siege, Chino’s peace officers are rearming.
The Chino city council voted Tuesday to spend $171,000 to purchase 70 rifles made to Chino Police Department’s specifications. Police Chief Karen Comstock told the council the rifles are essential if officers hope to deal with armed adversaries.
“Ballistics research has demonstrated that the handgun is woefully inadequate for effectively stopping armed threats,” she said.
Chino PD contacted multiple firearms manufacturers including Bushmaster, Knights Armament, LaRue, Smith and Wesson, Colt, DPMS and Daniel Defense for replacement rifles. All said they had no weapon in their catalog to meet Chino’s requirements, the chief said. Only Daniel Defense agreed to manufacture a weapon to the department’s specifications, she added.
“The rifle specifications have been developed to meet our department’s deployment needs and the diverse physical stature of our employees who will use these weapons,” Chief Comstock said.
Money for the purchase will come from the department’s federal asset forfeiture fund. The fund contains Chino’s share of proceeds from sales of property confiscated in the course of investigations in which the police department participates. The investigations are primarily drug related and the confiscations are legal, Chief Comstock said.
The Daniel Defense rifles will be equipped with “red dot” day and night sighting, suppressors and rifle-mounted flashlights, among other features. The contract price also includes replacement parts, freight charges and $12,608 in taxes.
The rifles will replace the department’s 64 Bushmaster M-4 carbines that have been in service about 15 years. The Bushmaster carbine is rated to fire 10,000 rounds before problems emerge, but the department’s carbines have fired more than 30,000 rounds each, Chief Comstock said.
The new rifle fires the same .223 caliber round as the Bushmaster carbine it will replace.

Eurodriver
07-29-16, 16:26
Um, wtf.

Is that a well off area? Guess the $$ doesn't matter they just take it from citizens they suspect of running drugs. But really, Suppressors? For street cops?

And they really fire 2000 rounds a year through their carbines??

That article raises all sorts of questions.

Firefly
07-29-16, 16:35
Um, wtf.

Is that a well off area? Guess the $$ doesn't matter they just take it from citizens they suspect of running drugs. But really, Suppressors? For street cops?

I dunno jack squat about the area but...actually...suppressors are a good thing for anybody needing a gun.

Remember Orlando, San Bernadino, Garland, Dallas, and Baton Rouge?

If you had to deal with BS in the ghetto and things got dicey past harsh language and pistol calibers or Achmed decided your shift and your beat was the time and place to show out; you would want something worthwhile.

Not a DD fanboy and am cynical of "good deals", but...there is merit to having decent shit. You know that.

Eurodriver
07-29-16, 16:46
Maybe there's a misunderstanding.

Ain't nobody advocating Bushmasters for LEOs here. You go ahead and get your custom made DDs.

The article just wreaked of incorrect info.

Do you know any street cops that shoot 2k 5.56 rounds a year? Motha ****ing Marines barely (don't even) shoot that much.

HelloLarry
07-29-16, 16:48
Why are they supplying firearms to California?

All govt agencies on down to municipalities in CA should be prohibited from purchasing firearms.

Boycott CA!

JC5188
07-29-16, 16:48
I think the sooner people realize that suppressors are a muffler for a gun, just like on their car, the better. (Not saying Euro doesn't)

I'm all for cops having them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T2C
07-29-16, 16:52
Um, wtf.

The carbines may see 2,000 rounds per year, but not necessarily the officers. If the carbine is assigned to a squad car that is in service 3 shifts, that would be 667 rounds per year per shift. If they have two man cars, each officer could fire 333 rounds per year and that is not unreasonable.

masakari
07-29-16, 16:56
Um, wtf.

You seem pretty hostile to LE.
When assets are sized, such as drug houses and vehicles, those funds go into an account to eventually be used (partially) by the department.
Many of our guys use suppressors on their rifles, and they should; who wants to lose their hearing? We sure as hell can't put on ear protection.
2000 rounds per year is probably their training mission capability requirement, and likely varies in actual use. That said, I fire at least 200 rounds per SWAT training, so I can easily fire more that 2K per year.

RalphK.
07-29-16, 16:57

Do you know any street cops that shoot 2k 5.56 rounds a year? Motha ****ing Marines barely (don't even) shoot that much.

Me thinks the misunderstanding is on your part. With quarterly qualifications on the long gun, a day on the range you can go between 250-500 rounds depending what you're doing that day very easily. Plus factor in a day you stop on the range on your own just to blast some paper cause it's quiet or maybe you wanna make sure you maintain zero and boom you're at 2K annually

Falar
07-29-16, 17:00
Why are they supplying firearms to California?

All govt agencies on down to municipalities in CA should be prohibited from purchasing firearms.

Boycott CA!

California just enacted a ban on even the sad little bullet-button equipped guns.

Every firearms manufacturer should nut up and not sell a ****ing thing to any agency in that state.

^Rb
07-29-16, 17:02
Chino is a reallllllllllly shitty part of Southern California so I could see how they justified this.

Uprange41
07-29-16, 17:02
Still not cool with CA LE having what CA subjects can't.

Good for DD and the department I guess, but I'm not into that.

Eurodriver
07-29-16, 17:04
You seem pretty hostile to LE.
When assets are sized, such as drug houses and vehicles, those funds go into an account to eventually be used (partially) by the department.
Many of our guys use suppressors on their rifles, and they should; who wants to lose their hearing? We sure as hell can't put on ear protection.
2000 rounds per year is probably their training mission capability requirement, and likely varies in actual use. That said, I fire at least 200 rounds per SWAT training, so I can easily fire more that 2K per year.

You seem pretty accusatory.

One can question excessive government expenditures without being hostile to LE.

Shit. If my posts on an Internet forum make me seem "hostile to LE" what do you think people who kill LEOs every weekend seem like?

But go ahead and pretend LE doesn't have a perception problem. We see how well that is working out nationally.

ETA: Your SWAT firing schedule is not relevant to my post.

Firefly
07-29-16, 17:06

Ain't nobody advocating Bushmasters for LEOs here. You go ahead and get your custom made DDs.

Honestly, no.

They usually go through two mags a year, maybe, and call it good. All at 25 or 50 yards.

If you want more or better training you gotta put in for it, be in a particular outfit, or go on your own time.

Same with pistols. At least in this state. You might shoot 30 rounds and if at least 70% of that makes the qual minimum then that's all you are required to shoot.

I agree, 2k or even 200 per officer is highly optimistic. Unless they mean as a dept and it's a large dept then lessay 400 or so officers and 2 mags to qual each and maybe you send the studs to advanced training then...as a department, as a whole, that number starts to fit.

Eurodriver
07-29-16, 17:12
That's what I was thinking, and along the lines of local LEOs (aside from SWAT - Obviously, although I guess that wasn't so obvious to some)

Just seems like typical government bureaucracy exaggerating the needs of their department to get cool toys paid for by tax payers and incentivizes more illegitimate seizures of assets prior to convictions.

its not an LE thing either. School boards, public works, parks & rec, etc etc all do it. So does the military.

"Oh shit it's Sept 29th. Tell them we shoot 60,000 rounds a year out of our 777s so we can get a higher budget and higher priority on all our parts!"

Firefly
07-29-16, 17:15
You seem pretty accusatory.

One can question excessive government expenditures without being hostile to LE.

Shit. If my posts on an Internet forum make me seem "hostile to LE" what do you think people who kill LEOs every weekend seem like?

But go ahead and pretend LE doesn't have a perception problem. We see how well that is working out nationally.

ETA: Your SWAT firing schedule is not relevant to my post.

I get where you are coming from man. If we were joking and smoking over chili cheese fries it likely wouldn't seem (and didn't to me, personally) seem hostile at all. Just, like you say, wondering where the beef is.

But text on a screen is text on a screen. I'm tracking however. I agree with good gear but yeah some of the numbers seem off or misunderstood.

Even the Farvas and Tackleberries don't shoot that much and honestly, your average American officer, today as in right now, is up shit creek in a real SLA style firefight unless he was a shooting damn countryboy whiz kid.

But that's a training issue.

daniel87
07-29-16, 17:19
i can see swat guys shooting 2k a year. but if the beat cops want to good for them.

i dont like cali law. but im happy to hear some officers make the best they can.

ppl compain that cops miss and ppl complain cops train, pick one

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
07-29-16, 17:20
That's actually where I was going with my post.

If their officers are getting 2k rounds a year (and after reading the replies it makes sense - maybe they swap rifles) they are already welllllll ahead of 99.99% of LEOs and the US military regarding proficiency with a carbine.

Thanks for understanding that tone doesn't convey well over text. I'm not over here crying "militarization of police!", just annoyed at some obvious fudging of figures.

As far as I'm concerned you can, and should, put a DD in every squad car in America.

The issue comes when you BS to get cool toys. And again, not relegated to LE. Go to Martin County FL. Everyone lives in trailers, or outside, but the county admin buildings cost many millions of dollars. "Gotta stay LEED certified!" :rolleyes:

Sorry for the derailment OP.

dwhitehorne
07-29-16, 17:51
If they have a good training section 2000 rounds a year isn't crazy. We qual every quarter and I factor in 120 rounds per shooter (two 60 round courses of fire per quarter). It actually is about 20 minutes of shooting time in reality.

I order 120 rounds of duty ammo per officer a year and 120 rounds per quarter of training ammo per quarter for the other three quarters a year. Duty ammo is about $600 a case of 900 rounds training is $375ish. We hire 24 or more recruits a year so I add 1000 rounds per shooter for the 32 hour rifle course (24,000 rounds). I take that total number and add 10 percent for DNQ requals and such. That all adds up.

SWAT shoots at a minimum twice a month so they get 240 per officer a month plus 10 percent. David

WS6
07-29-16, 18:03

That's on the extreme low end for the officers I know. Then again, I know the cool guys :)

joe138
07-29-16, 19:07
Could the suppressor referred to be a flash suppressor? I thought flash suppressors weren't allowed in Cali.

ColtSeavers
07-29-16, 19:24
Could the suppressor referred to be a flash suppressor? I thought flash suppressors weren't allowed in Cali.

Silly Rabbit, Laws are for Peasants.

joe138
07-29-16, 19:40
Since the politicians deem flash suppressors as extra deadly, that they and the media would not know what one wash.

JoshNC
07-29-16, 19:57
I'm conflicted. On the one hand I want all police to have the best kit. On the other hand I wish ALL manufacturers would tell the CA gov that they will no longer sell or service their firearms until they restore the 2A rights of CA citizens.

BuzzinSATX
07-29-16, 20:01

I'm torn on this as well. Lots of good companies like Barrett and Bravo Company have made statements saying they won't sell LE agencies any weapons not allowed by the civilians of the state

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/23/gaining-momentum-now-42-gun-companies-have-stopped-selling-to-law-enforcement-in-anti-2nd-amendment-states/

I am totally in support of law-enforcement. I hate the fact that they are under siege. But much of those issues are being caused by the same people who want to take guns away from you and I, and our blue line men and women are caught between the people and the politicians.

If I were king for a day, I'd make sure all cops had quality suppressed SBR's, and in the same decree would eliminate the NFA restrictions.

BuzzinSATX
07-29-16, 20:02
Silly Rabbit, Laws are for Peasants.

Sad but true brother

Take Care,

Buzz

nml
07-29-16, 20:04
I like how they are simply replacing Bushmaster carbines...suddenly no mention of "machine guns" or "assault weapons".

Hope DD ships them all their shit with 10 round mags. Though knowing Chino they need D-60s.

Uprange41
07-29-16, 20:23
I'm torn on this as well. Lots of good companies like Barrett and Bravo Company have made statements saying they won't sell LE agencies any weapons not allowed by the civilians of the state

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/23/gaining-momentum-now-42-gun-companies-have-stopped-selling-to-law-enforcement-in-anti-2nd-amendment-states/

I am totally in support of law-enforcement. I hate the fact that they are under siege. But much of those issues are being caused by the same people who want to take guns away from you and I, and our blue line men and women are caught between the people and the politicians.

If I were king for a day, I'd make sure all cops had quality suppressed SBR's, and in the same decree would eliminate the NFA restrictions.

Yeah, I just want good people to be well-armed. And it does feel conflicting, but I am in full support of companies that publicly refuse to supply parts to LE that the citizens in their state couldn't have. On the most fundamental level, LE indicating that they need those tools implies that the gun laws in that state aren't working. I don't want to see LE under assault with no means of fighting back, I want legislators' jobs under assault for creating a situation where those good people are disadvantaged.

joeyjoe
07-29-16, 20:50
That's what I was thinking, and along the lines of local LEOs (aside from SWAT - Obviously, although I guess that wasn't so obvious to some)

Just seems like typical government bureaucracy exaggerating the needs of their department to get cool toys paid for by tax payers and incentivizes more illegitimate seizures of assets prior to convictions.

its not an LE thing either. School boards, public works, parks & rec, etc etc all do it. So does the military.

"Oh shit it's Sept 29th. Tell them we shoot 60,000 rounds a year out of our 777s so we can get a higher budget and higher priority on all our parts!"

I was planning on steering clear of this one, but i feel compelled to express strong agreement with the above-posted. Right on the money... and didn't miss an opportunity to underscore the tyranny of asset forfeiture. I like it!

JasonB1
07-29-16, 22:19

SkiDevil
07-29-16, 22:44
Chino is a reallllllllllly shitty part of Southern California so I could see how they justified this.

Not sure where you got that from, because Chino does not have a high crime rate. Below the National average and went several years with no reported Homicides. City is approx. 30 square miles with a population of around 80,000 people.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/chino/crime/

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Chino-California.html

BuzzinSATX
07-29-16, 22:57
Yeah, I just want good people to be well-armed. And it does feel conflicting, but I am in full support of companies that publicly refuse to supply parts to LE that the citizens in their state couldn't have. On the most fundamental level, LE indicating that they need those tools implies that the gun laws in that state aren't working. I don't want to see LE under assault with no means of fighting back, I want legislators' jobs under assault for creating a situation where those good people are disadvantaged.

Great post! Totally agree.

Take Care,

Buzz

SkiDevil
07-29-16, 23:06
Chino Police Department is relatively small agency with approx. 150 employees including sworn and non-sworn.

http://www.cityofchino.org/government-services/chino-police-department/about-chino-pd

Bottom-line is that all politics aside, every cop deserves to have the best equipment possible to survive a critical incident and to carry-out their job of protecting the public.

If memory serves correctly Daniel Defense used to offer a LE patrol package with a rifle set-up to go right from the factory.

I didn't even know that their Department used Bushmasters. Most of the agencies in the area issue Colts.

I think this why having a rifle is important for their Department. The robbery made National news several years ago.

http://ktla.com/2014/08/31/ak-47-bandit-who-shot-chino-officer-in-2012-tied-to-nebraska-bank-robbery-authorities/

C-grunt
07-30-16, 01:07
I'm a run of the mill beat cop that has a duty rifle. Between quarterly quals and the subsequent training that goes along with those quals, I shoot about 1k a year through my rifle. When I first got my rifle I could see 2k a year. But the ammo budget got severely gutted a few years back.

mark5pt56
07-30-16, 04:51

Depends where you are from-some do and alot can shoot. You have to remember the cop on the street isn't making the gun laws and shouldn't be deprived of vital equipment to conduct work. I'm not saying I agree with CA. laws either.

Discuss the rifle, nothing else---

TO YOU ANTI LE AND/OR THOSE SPEWING COMMENTS ABOUT COPS SHOOTING-LEAVE YOUR PETTY COMMENTS OUT OF THE POST. POLICE ARE NO DIFFERENT FROM FOLKS THAT ARE NOT, SOME LIKE TO SHOOT, SOME CAN SHOOT WELL AND OTHERS HIT THE BERM (HOPEFULLY) THERE'S ALWAYS SOMEONE ON HERE SLIDING IN A COMMENT AND IT BEST STOP.

HelloLarry
07-30-16, 07:48
I am now boycotting Daniel Defense.

I'm sure they won't notice or care, but if companies don't make it painful for politicians to be stupid, then we'll soon all be serfs.
I feel sorry for the cops, but they can pass along the pain too. They can harass the politicians, they can strike, they can quit. They should not be exempt from this fight.

T2C
07-30-16, 08:01
Chino Police move to even odds - Champion Newspapers:

From the article: "The rifles will replace the department’s 64 Bushmaster M-4 carbines that have been in service about 15 years. The Bushmaster carbine is rated to fire 10,000 rounds before problems emerge, but the department’s carbines have fired more than 30,000 rounds each, Chief Comstock said."

A department Firearm Instructor could only wish the annual ammunition allotment for each officer was 2,000 rounds. I would say 300 rounds of .223 per officer per year is more realistic.

SiGfever
07-30-16, 08:26
ALL of our Brave Men and Women of our Police Forces deserve the very best firearms, training, and ammo available. Their dedication to the job putting themselves in harm's way on a daily basis commands respect from EVERY American Citizen! We seem to have no problem arming every POS country who will turn those weapons against us one day, but argue over funding our people who really deserve the best we can offer. I for one would like to see it made mandatory for EVERY Officer to have to TRAIN with, not just fire, a minimum of 1K rounds a year. Their proficiency increase would equate to better protection for themselves and the citizens they have sworn to protect. just my $.015

Beat Trash
07-30-16, 09:50
Daniel Defense makes a solid product.

Politics within the state of California leave a lot to be desired.

I've been an inter-city LEO for 24 years. Never once has one of my state representives has ever asked or cared about my politics. The state representatives tend to think and do what they will do.

The nature of Law Enforcement has changed and is changing. Once upon a time, most SWAT/HRT teams relied on 9mm HK MP5's and were good with that. Then these teams moved to 5.56mm guns because the dynamics changed. Now the beat officer (first responding officer) has a legitimate need to have immediate access to a Patrol Rifle (5.56mm AR).

Instead of boycotting Daniel Defense, I commend Daniel Defense for being willing to step up and make a custom order product for what is in the grand scheme of things a small order. Those officers deserve to have access to a rifle. And unlike a lot of agencies, mine included, it would appear that the Chino Police Department is putting some thought into the process, instead of letting price being the main factor.

cougar_guy04
07-30-16, 11:55

And DD is the same company that made a big to-do about a vendor-who-shall-not-be-named pulling MSRs off the display rack after the shooting Orlando. But the state of CA just ran all future business for DD out of California. There's an inconsistency in Daniel Defense's principals and marketing here that confuses me.

Glad for the officers to get the tools they need. But if the police need these rifles for their duties, then citizens should be able to buy the same equipment. Full stop.

Knorth
07-30-16, 12:30
Good for DD, I like it. I'll be supporting them and picking something up.

samuse
07-30-16, 12:57
I'll never buy another Danield Defense product, or recommend them again.

I think the CA cops should be held to the same restrictions as the citizenry there.

I hope BLM gets 'em all. They're part of the class of people that is disarming us. There is no conflict, you're either on the side of the government or the people. There is no in between with these people.

RalphK.
07-30-16, 12:59
All these calls for restrictions for LEO's but are you all gonna respond to a active shooter if/when the next one jumps off???

mark5pt56
07-30-16, 13:05
I'll never buy another Danield Defense product, or recommend them again.

I think the CA cops should be held to the same restrictions as the citizenry there.

I hope BLM gets 'em all. They're part of the class of people that is disarming us. There is no conflict, you're either on the side of the government or the people. There is no in between with these people.

So you can't edit this. You are on your way out as well for what you are suggesting.

This thread is locked, when I get some more time, I will be going through this and adding to the list.

RalphK.
07-30-16, 13:08
I hope BLM gets 'em all.

Weak ass keyboard commando stuff right here...I'll refrain from further as to avoid putting the mods in a tough spot