PDA

View Full Version : Sons Of Liberty Gun Works M4-SML Review

Mrgunsngear
07-29-16, 17:23
http://i.imgur.com/utxcdWzl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/p4Xvhosl.jpg

This forum is where this review was born so first---thanks to Mike at SOLGW for sending out the rifle for T&E and thanks to the folks at this forum for letting me know about a solid company.

Pros:
-there is a "base model" but they let you customize the rifle to your preferences
-reliability was great
-all the specs are listed so you, the consumer, know exactly what you're paying for
-Vltor receiver extension is standard on all their rifles
-BCG specs are top notch
-The lock up/attachment system of the hand guard is very solid
-come with 3x Surefeed mags & sights so the gun just needs some ammo out of the box
-lifetime warranty
-solid accuracy

Cons:
-I've got nothing here.... The only real "criticism" I can see anyone pointing out on a gun forum is that the barrel isn't CHF/CL (it's 4150 melonited with all the other blocks checked) but that's an option for $100 more so I don't really think it's valid

All the details on the rifle in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vqww1vOmtY

Eurodriver
07-29-16, 17:30
Admittedly, I skimmed through the video. Looks like you enjoyed it and it worked well.

I just had to agree with you on the CS. I bought a SOGLW upper, and before I did I shot Mike off a bunch of Qs on a Sunday night. Mike responded to my emails before I woke up Monday morning and shipped the same day as payment.

Haven't shot it yet so cant say too much, but the customer service side is absolutely amazing. Also, I can't believe I'm actually going to use these words (because they mean nothing to me) but the "fit and finish" of this upper is absolutely mint.

Pushbutton2
07-29-16, 20:10
I couldn't hear any sound :(

RichinVA
07-30-16, 05:54
Great review, thanks.

AppalachianThunder
07-30-16, 06:48
Been looking forward to this review. Seems to be a great company to deal with, and it's good to know they're putting out solid product.

Thank you very much, MrGnG.

smokinjoe
07-30-16, 07:12
enjoyed it , Thanks

Beat Trash
07-30-16, 09:38
I saw the video and that led me to the company's web site.

I really like that there is no guesswork as to what you would be getting. Most consumers would skip past the detailed information as they would have no clue what it meant. But for those who care, it's nice to know what the gas port size of the barrel would be, ect.

Unfortunately, I good right now and really don't need another rifle. But I want to pick up a spare BCG and I'm really looking hard at their BCG. Especially at the price.

I hope this company does well as I like their attitude and approach.

MajorLonghorn
07-30-16, 09:49
When I was in the shop last week, Mike was commenting on how far they've come in just two years that they've been in business and how much of an impact they hope to make. They are excited about their business, and it makes you get excited for them. As an independent business owner myself, I respect what they've accomplished and where they want to be.

556BlackRifle
07-30-16, 09:53
Nice review. I think it's great that you took the time to thoroughly test this rifle and report back the results (positive / negative) unlike some channels that may run a few mags through a weapon and call it good - you really put it through it's paces. Thanks for taking the time to do it right!

masenomics
07-30-16, 11:25
I always enjoy your vids mrgunsngear, unbiased reviews with good info on products, thank you.

Knorth
07-30-16, 12:33
Great review. This looks to be a solid company with a great product. I'll be looking at a spare BCG from them as well.

Jliddle
07-30-16, 18:12
Very nice review. I as well would love a few uppers and BCG's from them.

SOLGW
07-31-16, 18:51
I really enjoyed watching this review.
MrGunsngear got into the guts of some of what we do.

There's a frustrating misunderstanding in segments of this industry that all parts are equal. Or, that as long as stuff fits together the rifle has been properly assembled.

Both of those are completely false, and I think this vid touches on that...certainly more than most videos I've seen in the biz. The devil is always in the details...and brands truly start to set themselves apart the deeper under the hood you look.

Great job. Glad you enjoyed our rifle, too!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Falar
07-31-16, 19:08
Nice review, I have seen some of your light videos before and didn't know you were here.

Interesting shirt as well considering what those poor bastards are about to be subject to.

BuzzinSATX
07-31-16, 19:17
Really enjoyed the review. My next AR's will be SOLGW's. I've dealt with both Mike and Kyle personally, and they are 100% solid and trustworthy individuals.

Mrgunsngear
08-01-16, 07:45
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Interesting shirt as well considering what those poor bastards are about to be subject to.

It really is sad.

Jliddle
08-02-16, 19:23
Ordered an upper today from SOLGW. Received tracking info 1.5hrs later..

Thats some real customer service right there. Will do business again soon.

dobe
08-03-16, 05:39
I've just finished reading this entire thread. I may order a carbine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX
08-03-16, 05:44
I was planning on buying a couple stripped lowers, and since I was only 15 miles from the SOLGW facility, I called Mike and asked if I could come by (they are closed to public on Monday and Tuesday). He told me they were working and to come over.

After a brief tour of all they had going on, including a very interesting discussion on component quality and the extensive high round count testing they are doing, I decided to buy a complete lower receiver.

Several questions later, he gathered all the parts I asked for and brought them to one of his builder stations. I stood and watched my lower come together in about five minutes.

The thing that really struck me is their attention to detail and obsession with component quality, fully believing in the "sum is only as strong as the weakest link" theory. And their "house trigger"...wow! I'm no trigger connoisseur, I prefer ALG ACT's in my AR's. But their Liberty Fighting Trigger really impressed me. Very smooth and I really like it over my ACT's.

This lower was my second purchase from SOLGW, but not my last, and I see several more purchases in the future including uppers, lowers, BCG's, and triggers as funds allow.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160803/2804c5999912af8b22a6c6b791ac3e00.jpg

Take Care,

Buzz

dobe
08-03-16, 05:48
What grip is that?

“We used to carry knives,” he said. “Now we have to carry keys.” China Fences In Its Nomads, and an Ancient Life Withers; Andrew Jacobs; New York Times; July 12, 2015.

HeruMew
08-03-16, 05:58
Big thanks to Gunsngear and Mike at SOLGW in a great collaboration! Thanks for the namedrop of the forum too, always interesting to hear the community's name out there in a good light.

I was waiting, and waiting, for the notification. When i finally saw it a a couple days ago, I was amped.

Thanks again, to both parties involved, awesome in depth review showing the great manufacturing at SOLGW.

BuzzinSATX
08-03-16, 08:31
What grip is that?

B5. I wanted the same OD green color, but more importantly, I really liked the feel and angle. And when I got home and compared it with my BCM gunfighter grip, I like as well or better and especially liked the texture.

http://b5systems.com/p-grip/

Take Care,

Buzz

RichinVA
08-03-16, 08:44
Ordered a BCG from them, shipped within an hour or so.........................

Now I'm lusting after that lightweight MK 10....................

dobe
08-03-16, 08:44
What has kept me from ordering is I'm not really sure which one to get.

RichinVA
08-03-16, 08:55
What has kept me from ordering is I'm not really sure which one to get.

A good dilemma!!

dobe
08-03-16, 08:56
A good dilemma!!

But still a dilemma. I need to just call them.

556BlackRifle
08-03-16, 09:38
But still a dilemma. I need to just call them.

Get them all. ;)

dobe
08-03-16, 09:43
Get them all. ;)

You don't care a bit about my marriage, do you? [emoji15]

jrflyewr
08-03-16, 10:27
Anyone have any info or experiwnce on their Swamp Fox model...may order the complete upper

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jliddle
08-03-16, 11:06
Also interested in their trigger groups. They have a 4.5lb version. Just curious about reset as compared to my Colt.

BuzzinSATX
08-03-16, 11:20
Anyone have any info or experiwnce on their Swamp Fox model...may order the complete upper

I was holding and messing with one yesterday, and it was sweet! Light and really felt well balanced with th iron sights.

If I ordered one, I'd go with their trigger personally. The one I handled had the sopmod stock.

Take Care,

Buzz

MajorLonghorn
08-03-16, 12:11

Two of my friends have the Swamp Fox model. They rave about them, especially their light weight and maneuverability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PrivateCitizen
08-03-16, 17:08
Outstanding!

Edit:
Nevermind on the question. Google-Fu'd it.

dobe
08-12-16, 16:06
Just ordered an SML. I spoke to Mike about lunch time. He was very helpful.
Thanks Mike.

Antsy
08-12-16, 17:06
I ordered a modified SML the other day, now the question is, will it get here before the desire to hold it in my hand causes me to lose my mind. I check my email several times a day hoping to see a message telling me my order has shipped, although that's probably still a week away.

SOLGW
08-12-16, 19:15
I ordered a modified SML the other day, now the question is, will it get here before the desire to hold it in my hand causes me to lose my mind. I check my email several times a day hoping to see a message telling me my order has shipped, although that's probably still a week away.
It'll be shipping this coming week.
We're in a production cycle now.

Make sure we have your FFL info. That's actually a choke point for us if we have a hard time getting a hold of receiving FFLs. Not sure what your order number is, so that may not apply to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Mrgunsngear
08-13-16, 21:21
Just ordered an SML. I spoke to Mike about lunch time. He was very helpful.
Thanks Mike.

You're quite welcome