PDA

View Full Version : Lockdown: A Teacher's Thoughts

Irish
07-31-16, 07:02
A refreshing perspective and one that I hope catches on. A teacher's perspective (http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/07/lockdown_a_teachers_thoughts.html) on being a fish in a barrel.

After a minute, I wondered what I would do if this was not a false alarm. What could I do? The door is wood with a glass window. Could someone kick it in? Could he crack the glass and open the door? Maybe. Then what? But it was too soon to worry. It was probably a false alarm...

I understand that many people are uncomfortable with an armed teacher, but many are not uncomfortable with an armed guard. Those who want to protect the children from "gun violence" say the chance of tragedy is so slim that it is not worth the risk of a teacher carrying a gun. But if the chance of tragedy is so slim, why even pass these laws? "Because if it saves just one life, it's worth it." This doesn't answer the real question: how am I to protect myself and those I am responsible for if left defenseless against a gunman?

I realized that only we can protect ourselves in the event of the unthinkable. We have a right to self-defense, but if we don't have the right to the guns, then the right to self-defense is theoretical. The fact is that no matter what we do or how many laws we pass, our schoolchildren are still vulnerable, even in a city with the toughest gun laws around.

I wondered as I sat alone in my car driving home later that day: since gun laws will stop no motivated criminal, why do they really want us defenseless?

Averageman
07-31-16, 09:48
It sounds like someone woke up a smelled the Coffee.
Without the ability to arm herself, she had better figure a way to harden that door.

Bulletdog
07-31-16, 10:23
And so the obvious dawns on yet another sheep...

FlyingHunter
07-31-16, 10:40
I taught a handgun class recently that was all first time shooters, all women, about half teachers, and they are awakening...Most said they never ever saw themselves ever shooting a gun, much less taking a training class to develop CCW skills.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-31-16, 10:48
We have a right to self-defense, but if we don't have the right to the guns, then the right to self-defense is theoretical.

That, is one smart teacher. Reading the quotes above, I thought it was a gun guy posing as a teacher writing something. Kudos to the teacher for thinking it through.

We have the right to self-defense and the right to vote. A law that puts a hurdle as low as having to have an ID- something that almost everyone has to access all the other govt goodies has- is seen as illegal; but to defend yourself they are creating even higher hurdles. THe attack on self defense is as if they could pass laws that you have the right to vote, just not in buildings with voting stations. You can vote, but not for more than ten candidates at a time. Choose your leaders, but only out of the list of approved people.

'Common sense' gun laws? How about Rational?

cbx
07-31-16, 11:48
Last night over drinks a interesting thought was brought up.

Friend of mine said he thinks the apathy of defense and security among most of the population in the first world is because they don't have to hunt for food. They really don't have to fight to live. Life is pretty easy over all in that sense.

It's created a disconnect and many do not want the responsibility of their own safety. I agree with his thinking.

Not to marginalize the issue. It's not that simple. Maybe firearms aren't the answer for everyone. But a less lethal may be. It's better than nothing.

If they aren't willing to arm teachers, at least put escape doors on class rooms. As dumb as that sounds, if your not going to fight or defend, at least give the defenseless an opportunity to run.

MountainRaven
07-31-16, 13:35
My LGS often sees a spike in teachers coming in looking to buy pepper spray, stun guns, Tasers, and handguns after major school shootings.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-31-16, 15:19
Last night over drinks a interesting thought was brought up.

Friend of mine said he thinks the apathy of defense and security among most of the population in the first world is because they don't have to hunt for food. They really don't have to fight to live. Life is pretty easy over all in that sense.

It's created a disconnect and many do not want the responsibility of their own safety. I agree with his thinking.

Not to marginalize the issue. It's not that simple. Maybe firearms aren't the answer for everyone. But a less lethal may be. It's better than nothing.

If they aren't willing to arm teachers, at least put escape doors on class rooms. As dumb as that sounds, if your not going to fight or defend, at least give the defenseless an opportunity to run.

I think that it is that most of the actual violence is still very concentrated in specific neighborhoods and people. That's why the Progressive concentrate on Mass shootings in schools and other areas and play to white guilt about BLM- but we don't hear about all the gang killings. The best we hear about is the innocent bystander in the hood getting hit.

People are actually rational. Live in a nice part of town, you have a pretty low chance of needing a gun to defend yourself- that is until you actually need a gun. Just because it is this way now doesn't mean that it hasn't been different before (NYC in the 70s and 80s) or that it might not happen more often in the future- violent crime is increasing.

I think the point is that less people have less interaction with guns. This is all about the left's attempt to marginalize and demonize gun owners.

Gun rights are very easy for people to give up when they don't own a gun, don't know someone (they actually probably do, but talking about guns is not popular) who owns a gun.

That may be as much why the left is after the AWB as anything. People like ARs. They are helping stem the tide against marginalizing gun ownership.

We are getting more of a collectivist attitude- and that is for a whole range of reasons.

jmoore
07-31-16, 15:28
>>If they aren't willing to arm teachers, at least put escape doors on class rooms. As dumb as that sounds, if your not going to fight or defend, at least give the defenseless an opportunity to run.<<

It's all evolution and co-evolution. Install escape chutes and doors, and they'll simply post shooters outside to shoot everyone escaping. After the last bomb threat at the college I teach at, the parking lots and exit routes turned into parking lots after the mass evacuation. Stationary targets galore!!!! After viewing that - the next time a smart "bomber" would simply call in a fake threat, wait for the evacuation, and have 3 or 4 shooters waiting in the brush fields next to the parking lots and exit roads. Same problems with rally-points following an evac of a grade school.

And how should the college co-evolve to that? I suggested a thermal drone. As soon as the evac order goes out - up goes the drone to circle the perimeter looking for hot targets. And the game goes on, and on, and on.......

Evolution/co-evolution only continues until such time that one side is eliminated.

John

Irish
07-31-16, 16:06
I taught a handgun class recently that was all first time shooters, all women, about half teachers, and they are awakening...Most said they never ever saw themselves ever shooting a gun, much less taking a training class to develop CCW skills.

A few more big "oh shit!" type incidents will open more eyes. Unfortunately, I'm guessing, more lives will have to be lost to wake those people up.

RazorBurn
07-31-16, 19:16
Thanks for posting this! The writer of that article makes some good points that I hadn't thought of.

My wife is a teacher, so she just got an e-mail with the article. I passed it on to a bunch of sheeple in my family. Hopefully they'll open their eyes to independent free thinking one of these days.

Irish
08-01-16, 07:15
Thanks for posting this! The writer of that article makes some good points that I hadn't thought of.

My wife is a teacher, so she just got an e-mail with the article. I passed it on to a bunch of sheeple in my family. Hopefully they'll open their eyes to independent free thinking one of these days.
You're welcome. That's what I'm hoping for, pass the word.

T2C
08-01-16, 07:51
From a tactical perspective, I can understand why administrators and LE would want to lock down a school if a serious threat was present. A mass exodus during an active shooter situation would most likely result in a greater number of casualties. The teacher brings up a valid point about being defenseless once locked down in a room with no means of self defense due to inadequate school policies.

I think the most critical issue to plan for before a critical incident occurs, is to decide what means the teacher or school administrator has on hand to defend themselves and defend the students in their charge. A school staff member who can demonstrate reasonable proficiency with firearms and who has the mental wherewithal to act appropriately when faced with a threat should be allowed the opportunity to keep a firearm secured in the classroom or office space. They should also receive training on how to react when emergency response personnel approach their classroom to evacuate their students to a safe area.

The educational system has been negatively influenced by far left liberals for years, which has bred a defenseless attitude among many teachers and administrators. This issue will take time to correct. Policies and procedures designed to better protect students and staff should be drafted and implemented. Unfortunately, given the current mindset in local governments and the educational system, it will be nearly impossible to do.

Irish
08-01-16, 07:56
I think the most critical issue to plan for before a critical incident occurs, is to decide what means the teacher or school administrator has on hand to defend themselves and defend the students in their charge. A school staff member who can demonstrate reasonable proficiency with firearms and who has the mental wherewithal to act appropriately when faced with a threat should be allowed the opportunity to keep a firearm secured in the classroom or office space. They should also receive training on how to react when emergency response personnel approach their classroom to evacuate their students to a safe area.
I completely agree. I have young boys and would appreciate knowing their teacher has the capability and desire to defend herself and the children she's charged with.

Truth be told, 3 of my wife's best friends are teachers here locally, and I could only see 1 of them taking the fight to the bad guy. The other 2 would be whimpering in a corner.

Averageman
08-01-16, 08:19
I'm guessing you could likely take some metal and someone with a little skill at fabricating and make a bar that would slip over the door knob and over the door frame that would prevent a door from being pulled open from the outside. Covering a window with steel plate would likely be just as easy.
It's not the perfect answer and yes I think trained people in the school should be carrying concealed.
What concerns me is that an alarm alone does little to protect those kids. Additional layers need not be a budget buster.

Firefly
08-01-16, 09:23
Ever see Class of 1984?

Roddy McDowell just toted a 1911 anyway. Same for the principal in Mississippi where that kid shot up the place.

T2C
08-02-16, 00:24
A large AR500 metal door that swings or slides and covers the entrance door to the classroom would be something for schools to consider, but most in academia would reject it due to it's appearance. It's still something to consider.

26 Inf
08-02-16, 09:22
Right after Columbine everyone went Active Shooter prep crazy for a period of time. Schools wanted programs put in place and asked local LE for assistance. Many good ideas for locking down classrooms were not able to be put in place because of fire codes and fire inspectors.