PDA

View Full Version : VP9 question

Slater
07-31-16, 11:41
This pistol has the so-called "charging supports" (or something similar) at the rear of the slide to aid in racking. For those of you that have VP9's, do you find this feature useful?

81mmcat
07-31-16, 11:58
Honestly I could take them or leave them, but you do get a better purchase on the slide while chambering the pistol

m1a_scoutguy
07-31-16, 12:23
For ME,I love them, very useful/easy to grab & I can imagine if you were in a crap situation being wet muddy or just in a panic situation I feel they are very helpful ! My 2cents worth. before making a judgment try them and see what you think !

Joe R.
07-31-16, 12:47
"Useful"? Not necessarily. But they don't get in the way either.

SteveL
07-31-16, 12:56
Honestly I could take them or leave them, but you do get a better purchase on the slide while chambering the pistol

I agree. They can also be removed if you prefer.

Hmac
07-31-16, 13:32
When I got the pistol I felt like I could take them or leave them. Never really gave them much thought, but I was a little surprised to find that I use them all the time.

m1a_scoutguy
07-31-16, 13:41
feel !

m1a_scoutguy
07-31-16, 13:43
"Useful"? Not necessarily. But they don't get in the way either.

Maybe useful isn't the correct word. I just find that when racking any other pistol compared to the VP9 the little "charging assists" make and feel way better than any other slide. That goes for my Glocks/FNS/1911s. And especially my CZs,I love my CZ pistols but the way the slides sit inside the frame they are probably the hardest to grab. I guess they are one of those things that if you have never felt/used them then no big deal,I never had many issues tap/racking any of my slides but those little tabs do help I feel ! I do agree Hmac that you will use them all the time cuz they are in the perfect spot,its not like your gonna change your grip so you don't have to use them,,LOL

HKGuns
07-31-16, 13:51
I like them and they do no harm.

Coal Dragger
07-31-16, 14:30
I can take or leave them, but my wife appreciates them. The charging ears certainly don't get in the way.

Beat Trash
07-31-16, 14:36
I don't really notice them actually. I find they are helpful. Truth be told, I could take or leave them. But they do not get in the way at all.

tb-av
07-31-16, 14:53
Same as most above for me.

mcnabb100
07-31-16, 15:42
I like them. I don't notice them at all while carrying.

WillBrink
07-31-16, 15:56
This pistol has the so-called "charging supports" (or something similar) at the rear of the slide to aid in racking. For those of you that have VP9's, do you find this feature useful?

I could take them or leave them. It's not a selling point of the gun for me per se.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-31-16, 18:41
They are a nice little touch. They won't change your life, but are nice.

Mjolnir
07-31-16, 21:32
Uh, no...

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

K1tt3n5
07-31-16, 21:49
Don't love them or hate them, they are just there.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-31-16, 22:09
Don't love them or hate them, they are just there.

My feelings exactly.

arbninftry
07-31-16, 23:46
When I put on a 10-8 sight on my VP9, my sight pusher boogered up one of the charging supports. So they both went into the desk. I have not missed them at all. The cocking serrations are deep enough to work well.
Most sight pushers will mess them up.
And they make a flush filler for the holes.

uffdaphil
08-01-16, 03:09
Bought mine used with the ears removed and never felt the need to re-install.

Flatland
08-01-16, 09:24
I liked them but did not find that I noticed a change in operation. I have heard reports that some have experienced them falling out during firing but never had an issue even running 10-8 rear that did not cover them as much as the factory sights.

CDKJudoka
08-01-16, 09:46
I took them off when I swapped my Trijicons on. Never found them to be useful, but they were never a hindrance.

JW5219
08-01-16, 14:49

For me, they are just there. I don't notice them and don't use them.

btq96r
08-01-16, 16:06
Under ordinary circumstances, I barely noticed them. Then I had some issues with a muscle in my non-dominant hand for a bit, and I found them an awesome assist as I was getting the strength back in my hand. Now that I'm attuned to them, I see how they help a bit.

sevin8nin
08-01-16, 17:17
At first I thought they were ugly and was planning on removing them when I did my sights. But I found that during some malfunction clearance drills it was strikingly easy to manipulate the slide and other than that they were never in my way.

Captiva
08-01-16, 18:16
Good opportunity to use this $2 word: superfluous, but I don't mind them.

titsonritz
08-01-16, 18:27
You can always replace them with a filler piece (http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/hk-vp9-right-charging-support) if you prefer.

hotrodder636
08-01-16, 19:33
They are a nice addition when shooting with really sweaty hands (it's been high 90s here lately).

dobe
08-02-16, 11:46
I am in the "I appreciate them" crowd. They are more useful than I would have thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
08-02-16, 12:16
At first I thought they were ugly and was planning on removing them when I did my sights. But I found that during some malfunction clearance drills it was strikingly easy to manipulate the slide and other than that they were never in my way.

Now that you mention it, I decided to see what kind of difference those little ears make.

I just conducted this experiment so bear with me.

Step 1.) Gather up VP9, and another 9mm pistol in this case a SIG P320.

Step 2.) Grab a set of dial calipers.

Step 3.) Rummage through empty range pick up brass looking for obvious signs of having been shot in a loose sloppy chamber....aka a Glock. Confirm larger dimensions with calipers. If possible find several pieces like this.

Step 4.) Take these cases and insert one each into the chamber on the VP9, and the P320. When I do this I try to leverage the extractor hook manually over the case rim, then seat the slide manually if possible. Both pistol slides had to be tapped home with a bit of force from a rubber mallet, a good sign that these will present sticky extraction.

Step 5.) Rack the slide and eject the "malfunctioning" round, looking for differences in ease of manipulation.

Didn't take very long to do, and the cocking assists on the VP9 do give you more leverage. At least they did for me in my informal, not very scientific test. For the record both pistols ripped out the oversized cases, and took roughly the same effort but the VP9 had an advantage in how firm my grasp was.

As always your individual experience may vary.

tarkeg
08-03-16, 11:18
That's a pretty good test of those little ears. It simulates "difficult extraction", which most folks never learn.

"Grab 'em by the hair and hit 'em in the throat!"

Slater
08-03-16, 12:43
Took the VP9 plunge the other day (LE version with 3 mags and night sights). I would agree with the "I could take them or leave them" view. With slippery hands I could see where they might come in handy:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/HPIM1666_zps0c64oxrq.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/HPIM1666_zps0c64oxrq.jpg.html)

Coal Dragger
08-03-16, 13:07
Slippery hands or in a situation where you need to clear a malfunction forcefully.

I didn't like the looks of them, but after my little "test" I see their merit and they don't really get in the way of anything.

Once I get set up for 9mm reloading I will retest the assists by loading some 9mm dummy rounds that are too long and will get the bullet stuck in the rifling, this is a more realistic test since it is not unheard of to get factory round that isn't seated all the way and can tie up the pistol. I have some Winchester Ranger .40 S&W 180gr SXT's and one box had a long loaded round, so it is not impossible even with premium duty ammo. Luckily I caught it before I loaded the magazine with the round.

If any of you have ever experienced a too long round that gets jammed into rifling, you know what a pain in the ass it can be. I will test this out once I get set up so you guys don't have to.

EzGoingKev
08-03-16, 18:54
When the pistol was released I thought they were stupid.

Once I purchased the pistol I found I like them.

I cannot wait to see what Magpul comes out with for replacements. LOL

Evel Baldgui
08-03-16, 19:01
Every now and then i find myself using them...if they weren't there wouldn't miss them, but, nice to have

Slater
08-04-16, 12:03
One of my shooting buddies examined the VP9 that I bought and said "Shoulda bought a Ruger American Pistol. Does the same thing for less money". I dunno - I think the HK will do OK.

Coal Dragger
08-04-16, 12:47
By that logic you should have bought a Hi-Point.

Does your shooting buddy have the ability to keep everything inside the 9 ring of a B27 at 50 yards? If the answer is no, then he isn't qualified to give any advice on pistol purchases. I just made up that rule, but it's not a bad one.

WickedWillis
08-04-16, 13:12
One of my shooting buddies examined the VP9 that I bought and said "Shoulda bought a Ruger American Pistol. Does the same thing for less money". I dunno - I think the HK will do OK.

*Ex shooting buddy

nick84
08-05-16, 09:53
Ruger American huh? To each his own, I suppose. I will be removing the ears when I change the sights on my own gun. They're not bad, but I don't get anything out of them either.

Helix12
08-06-16, 06:34
My Dad always said that the Germans make good equipment but they often add gimmicks to it. When I bought my VP9 I thought the "ears" were one such gimmick. Turns out I like them. If they weren't there I wouldn't miss them very much, but I do find that I use them.

I cannot believe that someone would prefer a Ruger American to a VP9. We are all different, but in my opinion if it weren't for poor taste he would have no taste at all.

Slater
08-06-16, 11:38
I have zero experience with the Ruger but evidently it has it's fans.

JW5219
08-06-16, 12:29

Really? That's like comparing a Chevy Nova to a BMW. He can have his Rugers. No thanks here .

MountainRaven
08-09-16, 09:21
Someone must like them.

https://tangodown.com/shop/vickers-tactical-slide-racker-gsr-03/

arbninftry
08-09-16, 09:46
That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard today. I need another cup of coffee. Wow!

I think am going to go jump in my pinto and drive it like a Corvette. It's the same color so it's the same thing.:dance3:

brushy bill
08-09-16, 15:51
Someone must like them.

https://tangodown.com/shop/vickers-tactical-slide-racker-gsr-03/

I got an email on that...I'm not sure what purpose the hole serves.

kantstudien
08-10-16, 05:15
I got an email on that...I'm not sure what purpose the hole serves.

So you can be able to push down the spring loaded bearing during install? Not an issue with the factory one, but probably would be with the wings and extra thickness in the way

03rone
08-12-16, 00:52

At first I thought they were redundant as the serations were deep enough and gripped well. But after months of owning a VP9 I can appreciate the "wings".

I have sweaty hands no matter the weather, if my hands are handling anything doesn't take long before they start to sweat. The "wings" come in handy for that. Also they are good index point when building muscle memory, constantly knowing where those "wings" are lets me have the same hand position when racking, after awhile it's second nature.

Also, when I compare the "wings" to my PX4 decoker, I love the VP9 the rounded edges give just enough traction to work but arent sharp and rough (like my px4 decoker) to rub your hand raw after a dozen or so racks. If you dont like it they can be removed, but I do believe you will need to remove the rear sight in order to do so.

badness
08-13-16, 06:56
My Dad always said that the Germans make good equipment but they often add gimmicks to it. When I bought my VP9 I thought the "ears" were one such gimmick. Turns out I like them. If they weren't there I wouldn't miss them very much, but I do find that I use them.

I cannot believe that someone would prefer a Ruger American to a VP9. We are all different, but in my opinion if it weren't for poor taste he would have no taste at all.

It wasn't a German that came up with that "gimmick".

HKGuns
08-13-16, 07:59
It wasn't a German that came up with that "gimmick".

Not surprising that is all you got. Nothing of value to add don't post.

GiddyHitch
08-16-16, 23:48

Mine popped out the first time I tried to rack the slide one handed off my gunbelt. So definitely not useful for that despite some of the marketing rhetoric that came out during the VP9 introduction. I do find them somewhat helpful for better finger purchase during a traditional overhand rack but by no means necessary.

ETA: once they pop out, you can't put them back in without popping out the rear sight first.

MountainRaven
08-17-16, 00:44

I just remembered that the FN Five-seveN has them molded as part of the slide.

So I guess it was a Belgian who came up with it.

03rone
08-18-16, 16:15
Mine popped out the first time I tried to rack the slide one handed off my gunbelt. So definitely not useful for that despite some of the marketing rhetoric that came out during the VP9 introduction. I do find them somewhat helpful for better finger purchase during a traditional overhand rack but by no means necessary.

Good info here, as I've always wondered if the "plastic" can take a one handed rack, .... I'm glad I opted for the night sight version just for this reason.

badness
08-29-16, 02:49

Not surprising you make comments telling others what to do when you don't even follow your own advice. The idiots that plague the internet are everywhere.

Why do you follow your own advice and tell them who actually came up with that "gimmick" since you're so bent on providing value to posts eh?

fullmetalredhead
08-29-16, 11:08
Good info here, as I've always wondered if the "plastic" can take a one handed rack, .... I'm glad I opted for the night sight version just for this reason.

Same thing happened to me. I have both the LE and regular VP9s. I knocked the left insert out of the non-LE one trying to rack the slide off my holster. In fact, once the gun heats up, they are pretty susceptible to getting pulled out. For those that really like them, I think HK makes metal replacements. I admit they allow for easier charging, but am sort of in agreement with those who say it's a solution in search of a problem. I also like the FOV better without them in the picture.

badness
09-15-16, 16:21
Same thing happened to me. I have both the LE and regular VP9s. I knocked the left insert out of the non-LE one trying to rack the slide off my holster. In fact, once the gun heats up, they are pretty susceptible to getting pulled out. For those that really like them, I think HK makes metal replacements. I admit they allow for easier charging, but am sort of in agreement with those who say it's a solution in search of a problem. I also like the FOV better without them in the picture.

if every industry thought like the firearms community, we'd still be in the stone ages writing on rocks with chisels. And every few years we'd get a different chisel to engrave into the rock.

People use "solution looking for a problem" for damn near anything that deviates from the status quo in this industry. Hopefully one day the people in this community will open their eyes and realize that the average hoorah soldier boy or middle aged tactical ninja operators are not the only demographic on the planet.

FightinQ
09-16-16, 15:01
Hardly a gimmick as one poster posted mentioned. I have found them to be very useful, I actually want them on all pistols that I own if I could.

dobe
09-16-16, 15:04
I like them too, a lot more convenient than I would have thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk