PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle storage/transport. Hard or soft case?

ISiman/oh
08-01-16, 05:16
Looking to get a decent case for my AR that will be used as a "Truck gun". I'm wondering what I should look for being a hard case or soft case and some suggestions. I'll note I do not want this to turn into a discussion about " leaving a fire arm in a vehicle is a bad idea" blah blah. Let's keep this discussion focused on the case itself. Currently I have looked at some cheaper soft cases and the Plano tactical hard case. Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigereye
08-01-16, 06:00
http://www.du-ha.com/20110_20111_20112_20113.html
I put in one of these because I didn't want it visible. Whichever you choose, you may want to attach a cable or something to make it more difficult for a thief to just grab and go.

eodinert
08-01-16, 06:39
If you're just looking for something for transport, a soft case, all day every day.

If you need something to provide theft resistance, that would be a more sturdy case.

MWT
08-01-16, 07:14
I put in one of these because I didn't want it visible. Whichever you choose, you may want to attach a cable or something to make it more difficult for a thief to just grab and go.

THAT's the way to go, assuming you can find such a solution for your exact vehicle. The best theft prevention is keeping things out of sight. Pelican / Hardigg cases scream "valuables".

ISiman/oh
08-01-16, 07:36

I wish I had a situation where this would work. But my Car (Jeep Patriot) has the fuel tank right under the back seat. The case will look live under the back cargo area with the spare tire. So I'm leaning towards hard.

MWT
08-01-16, 07:48
My tip is to spend more but spend once and get a Pelican / Storm instead of a Plano. The Storm Mobile Armory is great, you get a hardcase with a softcase. Both are fantastic quality that will last you. A more economic alternative would be to get a Pelican / Storm and a Blackhawk or similar bag. I had a Plano as I did not want to spend the cash on a Pelican. It's a good case the Plano, but when I compared it with the Storm carry-on I fly with...well I sold the Plano to a friend and got a Storm 3100.

Averageman
08-01-16, 08:10
I have a 511 soft side case and two Plano hard shell rifle cases that I have modified and a Pelican case for pistols. I don't transport via flying much anymore, but if I did I might consider a Pelican rifle case. Much of my other gear and delicate test equipment rides in Pelican cases and so far I haven't had an issue.
I have a cap on my truck bed, I installed after market locks and have a cable lock that I can attach to my cases and to the truck bed. I built a deck above my wheel well that allows me to slide the cases underneath the deck. For all but the closest observations, you're not going to immediately observe that the deck is there, or that there may be something valuable underneath.
Its a pretty good system to use and I feel it is secure and as practical as I need to be for my uses.

SomeOtherGuy
08-01-16, 14:54
A hard case will offer far more protection, and if the rifle is going to live in the vehicle I would go that way. Pelican cases are great quality, but expensive and heavy. Take a look at the "Plano All Weather Tactical Gun Case, 36-Inch" which is currently $61 at Amazon. This is far more rugged than the flimsy Plano cases people are used to. Although it's definitely not a Pelican, it should hold up for several years of trunk/backseat floor use, and it's lockable two ways (flimsy built in locks, or loop for a padlock).

Doc Safari
08-01-16, 15:04
I wish I had a situation where this would work. But my Car (Jeep Patriot) has the fuel tank right under the back seat. The case will look live under the back cargo area with the spare tire. So I'm leaning towards hard.

My Jeep Patriot has black seats. I can put a discreet soft case in the back seat and loop the seatbelt through the handles of the case so it doesn't flop around. When you look through the windows from the outside you cannot tell the case is anything but part of the seat.

titsonritz
08-01-16, 15:54
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?178295-soft-case-vs-pelican-case&highlight=sert

GH41
08-01-16, 15:57
Looking to get a decent case for my AR that will be used as a "Truck gun". I'm wondering what I should look for being a hard case or soft case and some suggestions. I'll note I do not want this to turn into a discussion about " leaving a fire arm in a vehicle is a bad idea" blah blah. Let's keep this discussion focused on the case itself. Currently I have looked at some cheaper soft cases and the Plano tactical hard case. Thankyou.

Why do you want to carry a truck rifle day in and out? What use do you anticipate needing the rifle for?

HardToHandle
08-01-16, 20:05

First, you ruined this thread by asking a technical question and attempting to rule out Level III Derp. The following response is genericized due to not knowing the size of AR and if you want it assembled.

Either options works in my experience.

For soft cases, SERT/Sneaky Bags are my preference based on trying everything from a tennis racket bags to Black Hawk! It seems like there are many quality makers with low profile bags, even 5.11 has some so-so options. I have had cheaper cases fail due to lousy zippers and bad stitching, so paying more is often a wise investment.

A Pelican case secure with lock and cable may be concealable in the back of your Jeep. Regardless of how secured it is, a bad guy with means and opportunity can compromise it, so I believe more in concealment. I have and have used numerous Pelican cases - good for what they do, but they are heavy and pricey as noted. I always fly with my firearms in a Pelican case but have used a Pelcian for exactly one shooting trip. One.

ISiman/oh
08-01-16, 20:49
Why do you want to carry a truck rifle day in and out? What use do you anticipate needing the rifle for?

Mostly for ground hogs around the farm in the occasion arises.

Averageman
08-02-16, 05:54
I don't think you're going to find anything that will be 100% secure against a thief.
If your motive is to move the gun from point A to point B, you've got a lot of good suggestions.
I put my guns in cases to protect them while I am transporting them. I have no faith in those cases to provide security only to enhance it at best.

Tigereye
08-02-16, 06:21
I've seen folks with Jeep Wranglers who simply built a shelf/box that you could slide things into with the gate open. It was a good way to hide valuables and would be locked up. The "shelf" was painted or carpeted to match the interior. A gun case would easily slide into that area. Might work for your car and not eat up too much storage space.

Averageman
08-02-16, 08:58
I've seen folks with Jeep Wranglers who simply built a shelf/box that you could slide things into with the gate open. It was a good way to hide valuables and would be locked up. The "shelf" was painted or carpeted to match the interior. A gun case would easily slide into that area. Might work for your car and not eat up too much storage space.

I would say though not perfect that's a very good option and exactly what I did with the bed of my Truck.
I go through security every day. Unless chosen for a random 100% check, no one has ever asked or noticed the false floor even when standing there and looking at it through the window.