PDA

View Full Version : Hand Priming Tool

signal4l
09-03-08, 14:30
What is the best hand primer tool?

The Lee seems to be a bit cheap. I will be loading pistol only--9mm, 45ACP. I dont want to use the primer strips.

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=319794

Thanks

bullseye
09-03-08, 18:45
i've been using the lee for 30 years, [not the same one] if it tears up, another is cheap enough, and the shellholders are low dollar. gives a good feel for seating to me, course after many thousands of rounds, you'll get the "feel "of anythihg.

cougar_guy04
09-03-08, 19:06
Using the Lee here as well. No qualms with it on my end.

Pilgrim
09-03-08, 19:09
I use the Lee tool for .308 Win., and have never had a problem.

m4fun
09-03-08, 19:51
Wow - Lee here as well - mainly .45 since my Lee 1000 press absolutely sucks as a progressive loader and has been demoted over the years. Biggest issue is the priming on that press sucks and can bring your process to a hault, hence I:
1) deprime first pass with the 1000.
2) hand prime.
3) use the 1000 for the second pass for powder/bullet seating.

So, back to it. I use the Lee hand primer.

jasonb
09-03-08, 20:59
I have 2 Lees. They are all I have used, so I really cannot compare them to anything else, but they have worked well for me.

TWR
09-03-08, 23:24
Just be sure to keep the pot metal "hinge" greased up. I ran one dry and it wore out pretty quick. Of course Lee sent me another one and told me to lube it. I now have 2 and both have primed many, many cases without another issue, cheap or not it works well.

David Thomas
09-03-08, 23:44
Get the LEE. It is one of the better LEE products.

signal4l
09-04-08, 16:47
Looks like Ill get the Lee. Thanks for the replies

Bigun
09-04-08, 21:13
Another vote for the Lee I keep 2 , 1 for large and one for small primers.

markm
09-05-08, 09:04
I'm going to have to get one of these. I run a Dillon 550, but much of the time I'm priming rifle brass as a separate process anyway.

andre3k
09-05-08, 10:26
Own two lees here. If it breaks I'll buy another one, I got my moneys worth thats for sure.

signal4l
09-05-08, 11:07
Wow - Lee here as well - mainly .45 since my Lee 1000 press absolutely sucks as a progressive loader and has been demoted over the years. Biggest issue is the priming on that press sucks and can bring your process to a hault, hence I:
1) deprime first pass with the 1000.
2) hand prime.
3) use the 1000 for the second pass for powder/bullet seating.

So, back to it. I use the Lee hand primer.

This is why I sold my progressive press and ordered a turret press. I have yet to find a progressive press that has a reliable primer system. I prefer to work more slowly and get 100% results.

crittergetter
09-06-08, 20:50
+1 for the LEE auto prime. great tool and easy to use.

akviper
09-18-08, 05:31
I went through three Lees. The handle broke on all three even with lube. I recently converted to the RCBS Universal priming tool. I bought two and set one up for small primers and one for large. The spring loaded shell holder fits all so you don't have to buy shell holders or change them out. I've only had them a couple of months but so far they are great.

JStor
09-18-08, 18:10
I would recommend the K&M hand priming tool. It is a step above most others except possibly the expensive Sinclair model. The K&M unit uses the inexpensive Lee shellholders. I keep a pair of K&Ms on hand so one is always ready for .223 brass.

I had one of the RCBS hand primers for many years, but it finally broke.

markm
09-19-08, 08:50
This is why I sold my progressive press and ordered a turret press. I have yet to find a progressive press that has a reliable primer system. I prefer to work more slowly and get 100% results.

I agree to a point. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater though. The Dillon priming systems work when they're clean and new, but yeah... After mashing many primers and seating them upside down... I run the priming system manually so I can watch the little bitch for every primer.

I've definitely gotten to where I'll trade of speed and volume of ammo for quality too! It's a maturing process.... plus the price of components is conducive to this philosophy! ;)

zac4551
09-24-08, 09:59
I have been using the lee without any problems.

akaduck
10-06-08, 19:15
I've used the Lee for 7.62x54R AND .45ACP with no problems. It really gives you a good feel for primer depth.

signal4l
10-06-08, 21:00
I agree to a point. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater though. The Dillon priming systems work when they're clean and new, but yeah... After mashing many primers and seating them upside down... I run the priming system manually so I can watch the little bitch for every primer.

I've definitely gotten to where I'll trade of speed and volume of ammo for quality too! It's a maturing process.... plus the price of components is conducive to this philosophy! ;)

Agreed. I load more slowly now. I enjoy my time at the bench more. Less wasted components also. If I were to ever go back to a progressive I would de cap and hand prime first

John Fettes
10-07-08, 15:46
Sinclair International may be the best tool as shown here:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=REPTSI&item=PT-2000&type=store

Glen Zediker references it in one or two of his books:

http://www.zediker.com/books/ar15/ar15main.html

http://www.zediker.com/books/handloading/hlmain.html

I have one of the older RCBS tools that lacks the primer feed tray option that is OK for small quantities of brass.

Their tools are shown by following links here:

http://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&screenlabel=index&action=CategoryDisplay&categoryId=C06J030&route=C06

FWIW, I have had one of their Auto Priming Tools for a long time and use it mostly for 223/556. One thing that I learned from reading Zeidker's stuff is to seat the primer, turn the case 180 degrees, and give it another touch with the seater .

John

Turnkey11
10-08-08, 11:15
Guess Im the odd guy out, I use the RCBS hand priming tool, had it for 4 years and not an issue yet. It has done at least 5k .45's and about 2k .223 so far, getting it started on 6.8 right now.:D

boltcatch
10-17-08, 17:56
I'm going to have to get one of these. I run a Dillon 550, but much of the time I'm priming rifle brass as a separate process anyway.

I run a 550 too, and I find that priming the brass by hand is easier and gives more consistent results. It's also one of the more relaxing loading tasks; it's pretty hard to screw it up.

... but if you're running a decapper in your first 550 station, remember to take it out first.

lanceriley
10-22-08, 22:06
I use a lee reloader all the way. I have a single press. which is very reliable. and a turret press. still working on some issues but should be fine.

chadbag
10-22-08, 23:32
Before I upgraded to my Dillon presses, I used the RCBS ones. I had one with the tray and one without. They worked fine.

Now I do all my priming on the 550 or 650 and have had no issues with consistent results.