PDA

View Full Version : Blast shield questions

MajorLonghorn
08-01-16, 18:08
I have been looking into blast shields and other devices such as the Noveske KX5 to minimize concussive effects. What I'm wondering is if they increase recoil and if they cause suppressor-like blowback. If so, is it advised to advised to use a heavier buffer?

556BlackRifle
08-01-16, 20:03
The KX3 and KX5 use a single baffle. It's pretty much a suppressor baffle but because there's only one, it doesn't reduce the noise signature. It does in conjunction with the tube, focus the blast wave forward. That said it does slightly increase the backpressure. Depending on your gas system (carbine - mid - rifle), gasport size, buffer system and the ammo you are shooting, you may or may not need to make a change. e.g. That you will find out when you shoot.

ETA: Forgot to mention that it does nothing to reduce recoil.

MajorLonghorn
08-01-16, 20:34
ETA: Forgot to mention that it does nothing to reduce recoil.

But does it increase recoil?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

556BlackRifle
08-02-16, 00:40
But does it increase recoil?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

No, it does not increase felt recoil but some may mistakenly think that it does because they compare it with a muzzle device such as an A2 Birdcage. That's because the A2BC actually does slightly reduce felt recoil while the pig does not.

The pig is designed to send the blast forward of the shooter and that's what it does best. I hope this answers your question.

eodinert
08-02-16, 05:28
If you cover a brake, it will recoil more with the brake covered than without it covered.

Never mind the logic of spending $100 for brake, then covering it with a thing that costs $100 to cancel the effect of the other thing.

WickedWillis
08-02-16, 15:45
If you cover a brake, it will recoil more with the brake covered than without it covered.

Never mind the logic of spending $100 for brake, then covering it with a thing that costs $100 to cancel the effect of the other thing.

Shooting with a partner while waiting for a suppressor stamp? Almost all of my training is with another individual, and it's a nice courtesy to be next to a warden or similar blast shield, instead of the usual break.

Swag
08-03-16, 18:25
Long time since I've been on M4 but anyway.

Made a personal decision to do away with Brakes and go with dedicated Flash Hiders. That and get a Warden in the near future. Even when using an A2, going prone and firing under some type of cover or concealment such as a vehicle, dirt/debris/crap (plus grass & pine straw for us boys in Ga.) will forcefully hit you in the face. Thankfully, I never tried that with a Brake.