PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

reaper_custom
08-01-16, 21:34
First build here. Most of my tools and parts are coming in, and I'm getting excited to start this first build. I have a question I haven't really been able to find an answer to though. What length is standard or recommended for the AR? Seems there is everything from 16-20" barrels. Being this is my first build and I can see I'm going to quickly become addicted, I'm not shooting for high end on this one. Lastly, if you go with let's say a 16" barrel, what hand guard length would you recommend? Is that just preference as to how much barrel is showing at the end? Would 12" be to short?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
08-01-16, 22:13
I suggest you spend some time reading through the various threads, to include the Custom Build Forum.

The most desired and probably common barrel length is the 16". The 14.5" (Permed) is probably right behind it.

Setting the bar low, is a recipe for disaster. I see it all the time.

Most people aren't worried about how much barrel is "showing". The criteria can vary from person to person. Size, weight and even cost can and most likely are factors. That being said, 12-14 inches isn't uncommon. Of course that may also depend on whether you are building a Midlength or carbine gas system.

First build here. Most of my tools and parts are coming in, and I'm getting excited to start this first build. I have a question I haven't really been able to find an answer to though. What length is standard or recommended for the AR? Seems there is everything from 16-20" barrels. Being this is my first build and I can see I'm going to quickly become addicted, I'm not shooting for high end on this one. Lastly, if you go with let's say a 16" barrel, what hand guard length would you recommend? Is that just preference as to how much barrel is showing at the end? Would 12" be to short?

reaper_custom
08-01-16, 22:16
When you say setting the bar low is recipe for disaster are you talking price wise? I'm not going super cheap, just not going to buy a $400-500 barrel for my first build. Thank you for the input

Dirknar
08-01-16, 22:50
Do you already have a factory rifle? If not, Buy a Colt 6920 or a Bcm and be done. You will have a much better rifle!

Defined use, should dictate barrel length.

reaper_custom
08-01-16, 22:52
No factory rifle. Building from scratch

wigbones
08-01-16, 23:12
Building from scratch usually leads to changing your mind and swapping/upgrading parts. It's a good learning experience but generally more expensive in the long run.

Iraqgunz
08-01-16, 23:24
I don't know of many barrels that cost 400-500.00 and I don't know many people recommending them.

Setting bar low means exactly what it sounds like. If you are going to build something, do it correctly, research the components and don't cut corners.

When you say setting the bar low is recipe for disaster are you talking price wise? I'm not going super cheap, just not going to buy a $400-500 barrel for my first build. Thank you for the input

Rogue556
08-01-16, 23:44
If building it is what your going for then I'd recommend the Colt OEM 1 or Colt OEM 2, or the BCM OEM that Brownells sells.

Personally I've found that just buying a complete BCM lower and then buying the BCM upper of my choice already assembled is much easier. I'd save the money you would be using on the proper tools for the build and instead put that towards mags and ammo. The price difference between an assembled rifle and a pile of parts is miniscule in most cases, honestly. I would rather buy one knowing someone with experience built it, especially if it's your first and possibly only AR, than build it myself and risk assembling it improperly. It also seems like issues are worked out much easier with factory assembled rifles and uppers should you ever have an issue.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Kdubya
08-02-16, 00:55
You state your parts and tools are already coming in, so what exactly do you already have on hand for this build? If all that's really left is the barrel and handguard/rail, knowing what direction you've already gone would help. There are good barrels at a variety of price points; and the same can be said for rails. I think the best advice so far is to take your time and get the assembly right. The last thing you want is to invest a lot of time into something that ends up being unsafe or unreliable. If you get to a point where you're uncertain about something, seek advice before moving forward.

Good luck with the build, and let us know how it turns out.

Averageman
08-02-16, 04:27
One day I mentioned to a co-worker that I was looking for a receiver.
I know the guy, so I should have kept my mouth shut.
That I set the bar low was evident, but not until I was assembling on a slightly out of spec lower and had to find another at Christmas to finish it up.
Research and an understanding that the bar here is set very high for the most part is a good way to look at learning here.

titsonritz
08-02-16, 11:22
Is this your first build or first AR? If it is your first AR don't make it a build. Get a quality factory gun and learn it first, then do a build. I am curious as to what parts and tools you have on the way, they are not all created equal, not by a long shot.

And BTW, get a 16" mid-length barrel.

C-grunt
08-02-16, 13:59
The old adage is "mission drives the gear train"

So the main question is, what are your intentions for the rifle? Home defense, general purpose, hunting, 3 gun competition, bullseye shooting, long range, etc...? What kind of barrel you should buy is directly linked to the purpose of the rifle.

That being said I would highly suggest looking into BCM and Sionics for great barrels that don't cost too much. You can buy a top notch barrel for around 200 bucks.

I assume when you talk about handguards you are talking about the free-floating kind. The rails from ALG are fantastic rails at a good price. You are going to have a hard time finding a rail of similar quality and durability for the price of an ALG.

Lastly, make sure you buy a quality bolt carrier group. It's the heart of the rifle. Don't go for one of the 69 dollar specials. Spend the extra money and buy one that is built CORRECTLY. A lot of companies cut corners in the BCG to shave off cost.

Uprange41
08-02-16, 14:30
Tell us what you're going to do with it, and we might can help.

reaper_custom
08-02-16, 17:18
Sorry guys. Just getting around to checking this.
Aero precision stripped lower
Aero precision stripped upper
Haven't decided on bolt group carrier - suggestions appreciated.
Palmetto State Armory lower receiver kit
Raptor charging handle
Hexmag adjustable grip
Odin works extended magazine release
Haven't decided on hand guards
Haven't decided on barrel

General purpose / self defense weapon. Black w fde accessories

C-grunt
08-03-16, 18:06
I would go with a light weight midlength barrel. Like I said BCM or Sionics have great barrels for around 200 bucks. I would also suggest the BCG from either one. There are other companies that make good BCGs but if you are already buying a barrel from them might as well do the BCG also.

reaper_custom
08-03-16, 18:07
Thanks C-grunt.

293sheepdog
08-03-16, 23:05
You get what you pay for ... front end or back end!

Col_Crocs
08-04-16, 03:02
i dont see any mention of a receiver extension... make sure you get a good milspec one like vltor or BCM.

Kdubya
08-04-16, 22:42
It seems you've got a good list of parts going, and should end up with a fine rifle. It's a far cry from setting the bar low as some inferred from your comment about "not shooting for high end." It sounds like your okay with the previous barrel suggestion in the $200 range. So, if you're willing to shell out between $200 - $300 bucks you've got a lot of choices. White Oak, Faxon, Ranier, Wilson, Criterion, or even maybe a DD just to name a few. Personally, I've been putting a build together in my head and am about 95% certain I'll be giving Faxon a try. Their GUNNER profile is intriguing and what I'll probably settle on.

As far as length, for your general purpose use, a 16" should be just fine.

The BCG's previously mentioned are fine choices. Are you looking into different coatings or just the standard magnesium phosphate?

As far as rails, you can end up spending nearly as much or more than the barrels mentioned when you get into the Geisseles Troys, etc. I personally like Midwest Industries. They're about mid-range in price and are well constructed. I prefer a 12ish" length with a 16" barrel. I like the look, and my natural grip falls about an inch shy of the end. Again, it should come down to your personal preference and intended use. What types of accessories do you plan on purchasing? How important is weight and strength/rigidity? If you need some time to consider it, you could always pick up a MOE for pretty cheap.

Bottom line, we're fortunate to live in a time where solid choices have never been more plentiful. Sure there are some less reputable options, but for quality ones the differences are mostly splitting hairs.

One parting question. Did that LPK from PSA come with a trigger?

reaper_custom
08-04-16, 22:59
Thanks kdub. So funny story. Yes the LPK from PSA comes w a trigger...
http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-classic-lpk.html

however, my stupid azz, COMBINED my old address and new address when I placed the order so now my LPK is lost :(
I'm gonna go down to Primary this weekend and pick one up, as well as an extension and possibly the charging handle. I just picked up a magazine today that has some reviews on like 15 different charging handles of all price points... I'll make my decision on that to see if I wanna stick w the raptor or go with something else. That raptor is bad azz looking tho, and I'm sure it's a great product.
As far as barrels I'm still stuck... I'm def gonna go with stainless steel mainly because I think it looks nicer, def going 16", and I've been researching the "pencil profile" a lot today and am leaning towards it but still researching.
This is the barrel I'm looking at, but it has no reviews and I haven't had time to look into this specific one yet. If anything has any input it would be appreciated.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-ss-pencil-barrel-5-56-nato-1-7-freedom.html

Col_Crocs
08-04-16, 23:38
I would stay off buying stuff for looks. It honestly gets old real quick and it'll cost you more money down the road correcting aesthetic-based-bad-decisions for practical/functional ones.

Kdubya
08-05-16, 19:24
That sucks about the LPK. Hope you get it sorted out. When you say "gonna go down to Primary", do you mean Primary Arms? Man, it would be bad news for my wallet and marriage if I lived close to their retail store! If you've already got a Raptor CH, I feel like you're set in that department. As far as the barrel, I had actually looked at a Freedom SS barreled upper when contemplating a budget build, but ended up changing gears and building an AR Pistol instead. For the money, it's not a bad choice. A friend of mine has a rifle with a traditional profile SS Freedom Mid-Length. It's been reliable and shoots pretty well. I haven't heard much about their pencil profile, but would be interested to know how it runs when you get it hot, and how quickly it heats up. The PSA freedom line is their "value", middle of the road series. IIRC, the barrels from their Premium line are made by FN. They're a little more tight lipped about the Freedom line, but Wilson Arms (not Combat) seems to be the most frequently suggested supplier. But I'm not sure that's ever been confirmed. For $119 bucks, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. If you want reviews, there is a complete barreled upper they're selling that appears to have the same barrel.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/review/product/list/id/19376/

Keep us posted and let us know what the trip to Primary yields.

reaper_custom
08-05-16, 19:36
Yea I'm scared to go down there, but I have a feeling it's going to take forever to get the PSA thing worked out and don't want to wait on another LK. If I don't post for a while it's due to the fact that I've exhausted all funds available and couldn't pay my phone/internet bill! Lol