PDA

View Full Version : Strong-Side Carry Belt-Holster

old grunt
09-03-08, 15:54
The IWB thread was VERY informative. I have a Milt Sparks SS for my Colt OM..GREAT HOLSTER, BUT find I carry my Glocks more often(G19 & G26)on a BELT RIG. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS IN KYDEK OR LEATHER FOR THE 9mm Glocks??? I usually wear a Wilderness Tactical Instructor's Belt.:D

lindertw
09-03-08, 16:04
I really like the Raven Concealment phantom (http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_85_92&products_id=1561) for my G19. It keeps the pistol in close:

http://tinyurl.com/5vj8yu

http://www.themalabarfront.com/images/G19%20Phant.,%20front.JPG
*photo courtesy of themalabarfront.com

There are additional pics of a glock/raven combo (w/IWB clips) from another member here (http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=158014&postcount=51). Hope this helps...

markm
09-03-08, 16:12
I run the Safariland 5188 for strong side concealed and open/range carry. It's got the safariland laminate.. so it's like a kydex type of holster on the outside with a suede like lining.

Very quiet and smooth draw. I use the paddle since taking off instructor belts is a pain in the ass when you have to run holster gear onto them.

The 5188 is somewhat of a high ride which is all I'll carry.

(also... the 5188 is cheaper than most holsters)

http://www.safariland.com/images/catalog/5188_l.jpg

Master_of_Sparks
09-03-08, 18:22
Man, I think I've wasted enough money on holsters over the last 20+ years to to pay for a new car. No matter how many I've given away, and thrown away, I still have a drawer full of carry rigs.
I definitely prefer leather, hands down. The Milt Sparks CC-AT or the I-Back (essentially the same except for the tensioning screw) is the best holster I own. I have one that fits my 19, 23 and 36. The CC-AT isn't made for the 26.
I recommend that you order one now. They take awhile but you'll be glad you got on the list.

For a cheaper, working rig, I use a Galco (yes, a lowly non-custom Galco) Concealable on a Rafter S belt. This setup works better than most custom rigs I own. The Concealable rides high and tight, and just plain works, even at 3:00. The RafterS belts are dead solid belts on the cheap. They start at around $50 and are double layered, double stitched, and well made. I own 3 and his work has been consistent.

Alpha Sierra
09-03-08, 19:02
I cannot conceal any handgun OWB as well as I can IWB. On top of that every OWB holster I've tried rides too high and the gun chafes my inner arm something fierce.

I have a couple but they don't get used much. IWBs, OTOH, are choice. I can absolutely conceal a S&W N frame with a CTAC while wearing an untucked button down shirt. And I am not a big guy. But put that same gun in a best-quality leather pancake and you can easily tell I am hiding something.

Maybe it's just me.

John_Wayne777
09-03-08, 20:09
The IWB thread was VERY informative. I have a Milt Sparks SS for my Colt OM..GREAT HOLSTER, BUT find I carry my Glocks more often(G19 & G26)on a BELT RIG. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS IN KYDEK OR LEATHER FOR THE 9mm Glocks??? I usually wear a Wilderness Tactical Instructor's Belt.:D

The most concealable and comfortable belt holster I've ever tried is the Raven Concealment Phantom holster. It's also convertible into an IWB holster, which is double plus good.

On top of making good products, Raven is a great bunch of guys to deal with.

Business_Casual
09-03-08, 20:27
I wear a Raven Ghost for CCW and I use a Blade Tech for classes. Both meet all my expectations and requirements.

M_P

BobM
09-03-08, 20:50
I've used my Raven OWB for a while before I got the IWB loops for it; it worked pretty well and I've been thinking about getting another just so I don't have to switch back and forth.
In leather I've used a Kramer Belt Scabbard for my Desert Warrior. It works pretty well also. If you like a thumbreak, Galco makes the "FLETCH"; once in a while I've carried a Ruger GP-100 in it; seems like a well made holster also.

old grunt
09-04-08, 13:06
THANKS GUYS!! The Raven system seems popular in your responses. Think I'll look in that. The Milt Sparks are ALWAYS GREAT, but as you know it's a small shop and you wait. So Order a Milt Sparks(and forget about it until it arrives) and go for one of the others to get you out in the street faster!!!:)

adh
09-04-08, 21:23
The pic of that Raven holster makes me think that I could possibly use an actual belt holster for concealed carry. I've never been able to find a belt holster in the past that I could conceal as well as an IWB.....might have to try one out myself

John_Wayne777
09-04-08, 21:48
The pic of that Raven holster makes me think that I could possibly use an actual belt holster for concealed carry. I've never been able to find a belt holster in the past that I could conceal as well as an IWB.....might have to try one out myself

I strongly suggest giving it a try.

My introduction to Raven was the result of the first Vickers/Hackathorn low light class that I took in November of '07. At the time I believe they were just getting started.

Ken was wearing one of their belt holsters for an M&P .45 with a light mounted and he was able to conceal it with only a light (and relatively short) jacket....along with two spare magazines and a Smith 442 he had on his weak side. Just looking at him you would have never known how much hardware he was wearing. (Well...if you didn't know who Ken Hackathorn was, anyway...)

The beauty of the Raven system of production is that it basically allows for shaping the holster so that it rides fairly high and snug against the body. (Just as you see in the pics) This really helps it conceal more effectively, IMO. The system also allows you to move the loops on the holster to a different position and to just about any configuration you can imagine...IWB, J hooks, "paddle", whatever.

I adjust the loops to ride the pistol as high as possible on the belt and that helps me conceal it under a very light covering garment like a linen button up shirt. In the picture Linder has it set up to ride lower on the belt.

Everything I've bought from them so far has been great. A lot of other customers must share my opinion because they've been swamped with orders in the last few months. :D

Rinspeed
09-05-08, 12:54
My favorite OWB is the Alessi CQC/S. Of course Lou is quite busy as well. Lightning Arms has Sparks and Alessi leather on the shelf at a slight premium.

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm