PDA

View Full Version : CMT Tactical PDW Lower Review

Mrgunsngear
08-02-16, 17:47
http://i.imgur.com/ogEW7G7l.jpg

I've had the lower for over a year now and used it a good bit. Here's my take on it:

Pros:
-It's been completely reliable with any upper combo I've used it with to date (including suppressed/unsuppressed)
-comes with lower, stock, extension, spring, & buffer
-7075-T6 anodized milled aluminum
-fully collapsed it's about 1.75'' shorter than a standard AR lower
-0 issues with fit/function of any mags I've used it with
-weighs 2.25 lbs
-ambi mag and bolt release

Cons:
-manipulating the safety, with a standard safety, can be a little more difficult than normal when the stock is fully collapsed
-the cost is an issue for a lot of folks

One thing I forgot to mention in the video:

You can manipulate the stock without removing your hands from firing position on the weapon. Example- when carrying the weapon on a single point single attached to the butt stock with the stock collapsed- right hand on grip, left hand on rail... You can simply depress the stock lock button with the thumb of the hand on the grip- not removing the hand from the grip, then pulling away from the sling extending the stock on the way to your shoulder. Where as on most any standard stocks when carried collapsed, one hand must be released from fire control of the weapon in order to manipulate the stock to the extended position. I know this isn't a valuable feature to range ninja's but... coming out of a vehicle or even just walking around on a security detail with the weapon at the most compact position & being able to skip that normal extra step required to extend a stock can be a value added feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSPkQ674HvQ

misfit47
08-03-16, 08:41
Sweet setup but man is it pricey. It is unique though.

scottryan
08-03-16, 22:14
Stock is too long when collapsed. Doesn't compete in the PDW class even though it is advertised as such.

Mrgunsngear
08-04-16, 19:58
Stock is too long when collapsed. Doesn't compete in the PDW class even though it is advertised as such.

What do you consider competitive in the PDW class?

scottryan
08-05-16, 14:21

The Troy, MVB, and LWRC PDW stocks are real PDW stocks.

I don't see how the CMT stock is any better than a LWRC ultra compact stock.

Duffy
08-05-16, 14:50
"PDW" stocks are a step backward toward 1960s ergonomics. Unless the weapon spends more of its time in a coat or car where space and concealment outweigh the shortcomings of a stock that offers poor cheek weld and requires deployment to properly shoulder, these stocks are better suited for fun guns.

That said, a short throw selector should make the levers easier to manipulate if you have one of these stocks.