PDA

View Full Version : Simple Rifle Storage (Colt 6920)

TacticalSledgehammer
08-02-16, 20:44
Today I bought a Colt 6920 OEM 2 still new in the box (in a plastic bag) from an individual. I'm not sure if I want to complete it or what exactly yet. Am I looking at any potential problems (rust?) leaving it wrapped like it came from the factory inside the box?

Beat Trash
08-02-16, 20:50
To be on the safe side, I would wipe it down with a light coat of oil. Couldn't hurt...

dramabeats
08-02-16, 22:28
With the hard coatings and chrome lining it won't rust

dsk
08-02-16, 23:05
I've never been impressed with the preservative oil that Colt uses. Too often I've seen it all dried up and turned into a brown film that looks to some folks like rust. I would take the 6920 out of the bag, field-strip it, give it a good soaking in CLP then put it back in the bag.

556BlackRifle
08-02-16, 23:41
I've never been impressed with the preservative oil that Colt uses. Too often I've seen it all dried up and turned into a brown film that looks to some folks like rust. I would take the 6920 out of the bag, field-strip it, give it a good soaking in CLP then put it back in the bag.

This would be my plan with one addition. Since you live in Ohio and it gets humid there, I'd put a desi-pack in there.

TacticalSledgehammer
08-03-16, 04:37
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll clean it up.

Ryno12
08-03-16, 05:33
If everything is still sealed and in the same condition as it left the factory, I'd leave it. Guns have sat for years in distribution warehouses without any issues. Just because it changes ownership, doesn't mean that the factory packaging turns to junk.