PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Footwear

MadMatt
08-02-16, 21:27
So what's the latest and greatest in tactical footwear?

joe138
08-02-16, 21:42
The Salomon line is popular.

BrigandTwoFour
08-02-16, 22:29
The Salomon line is popular.

I just picked up a pair of Salomon Jungle Boot Ultras. They require a bit of break in, but I'm a fan.

Joelski
08-02-16, 22:35
Still love my Reebok fast responders. They come in wide sizes and have great arch support.

Kchen986
08-02-16, 23:48
I only use Lowa Zephyr GTX and ZS-8s.

Wake27
08-03-16, 01:44
Lowa and Salomon are my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightstalker865
08-03-16, 06:56
I really like the offerings from Salomon, but they run narrow so try before you buy.

MadMatt
08-03-16, 07:07
I love this place. Post a question before you go to bed and wake up to some good tips. Thanks!

MadMatt
08-03-16, 07:11
Still love my Reebok fast responders. They come in wide sizes and have great arch support.

Had no idea Reebok made anything like these. Thanks!

BrigandTwoFour
08-03-16, 09:17
I really like the offerings from Salomon, but they run narrow so try before you buy.

Truth. I bought my Jungle Ultras in the same size I buy most shoes, and dealt with some good rubbing on the outside of the little toes. It's improved with break-in though. Good socks go a long way. If I was to do it again, I might go a half or full size up.

Prior to these, my go-to boots were a pair of Belleville One Xeros (https://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=103). I loved those things. They were like wearing a pair of Converse All Stars to work every day. However, I did have the tread start peeling away from the sole after about a year and a half of daily wear. I've never had that happen to boots before. I had a pair of Corcoran Marauders keep going until I totally smoothed out the tread on the bottom.

HCrum87hc
08-03-16, 11:22
It's hard to beat a good pair of Salomons. I've had my pair of X Ultra Mid 2 GTX for several years and love them. They're just as comfortable as any tennis shoe.

Zim
08-03-16, 11:51
Asolo's natural shape boots are very good. I've worn their Piuma for years. Recently I've started wearing Five Ten's Aescent shoe. It has outstanding traction on basically everything and is comfortable enough to run distance in.

ETA: They also don't scream tactical.

MadMatt
08-03-16, 21:56
Asolo's natural shape boots are very good. I've worn their Piuma for years. Recently I've started wearing Five Ten's Aescent shoe. It has outstanding traction on basically everything and is comfortable enough to run distance in.

ETA: They also don't scream tactical.

Checked out 5-10. Had heard of them but never looked. Some interesting footwear and worth looking into..... although I couldn't help but notice that on their webpage they spell gender as "cender". Wonder whose political campaigns they donate to. Just saying.

Zim
08-03-16, 22:21
I'm seeing Gender spelled properly on their list of filters. Sometimes a typo is just a typo.

MadMatt
08-04-16, 07:12
I'm seeing Gender spelled properly on their list of filters. Sometimes a typo is just a typo.

noted. Thanks

And a friend of mine who is still deployed highly recommends https://www.lalotactical.com/ . Now this, methinks, would seem to be the current penultimate in tac footwear. I'm betting all the cool kids are wearing them. And it seems you can get them at www.govx.com for cheap, although their selection is more limited.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Jewell
08-04-16, 07:38
I bought a pair of Keens that have been great. Super comfortable. I recently wore them while doing some hiking out in Yellowstone, and they handled the rain, snow, mud, and probably a whole lot of buffalo shit like a champ.

293sheepdog
08-04-16, 08:28
I bought a pair of Lalo Tactical Shadow Intruder. Nice boot with some nice features but a real PIA to get on and off quickly. Not sure I would buy another pair there are way too many options out there.

MadMatt
08-04-16, 09:02
I bought a pair of Lalo Tactical Shadow Intruder. Nice boot with some nice features but a real PIA to get on and off quickly. Not sure I would buy another pair there are way too many options out there.

Some of their athletic shoes look pretty good.

https://www.lalotactical.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=9044_10228

Defaultmp3
08-04-16, 09:26
And a friend of mine who is still deployed highly recommends https://www.lalotactical.com/ . Now this, methinks, would seem to be the current penultimate in tac footwear.If they're the penultimate, then who's the ultimate?

Also, what the Hell makes footwear tactical? There is a world of difference between a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3s and a pair of Rocky S2V Composite Toe Tactical Military Boots.

Wake27
08-04-16, 09:42
Some of their athletic shoes look pretty good.

https://www.lalotactical.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=9044_10228

I have a pair of their Bloodbird shoes and like them a lot for lifting and running two miles or less. I've worn the tread down pretty fast though.

ETA - guess I got them four months ago so that's about right I think. Also, they fit true to size for me. I saw several reviews saying they were off so YMMV.

P2Vaircrewman
08-04-16, 11:08
Just got them so I can't say how they will hold up over time but comfort wise from the get go they are the best I ever put on my feet. I hate shoes that need to be "broken in" they should be comfortable from the first time you put them on. I have tried on Solomon and Lowa and passed on them for that reason.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-valsetz-stealth/pid1250234-001

J_B
08-06-16, 21:39
Love my Salomon Quest 4D GTX Forces for work. Although the black has turned to a greyish color. Not bad but it's obvious to me they're not black anymore. No uniform Nazis have complained so it's probably just me.

Just bought a pair of Under Armour Valsetz RTS to try out. They are pretty much true to size. Originally ordered the wide version but they were too wide. Wore them one shift and sent them back, no issues with return. UA sent out different size and they fit well.

jpmuscle
08-06-16, 22:03
Love my Salomon Quest 4D GTX Forces for work. Although the black has turned to a greyish color. Not bad but it's obvious to me they're not black anymore. No uniform Nazis have complained so it's probably just me.

Just bought a pair of Under Armour Valsetz RTS to try out. They are pretty much true to size. Originally ordered the wide version but they were too wide. Wore them one shift and sent them back, no issues with return. UA sent out different size and they fit well.
A few of my coworkers have run the UA boots did nothing but complain. They said their comfortable but they only got a couple months of use out of them before they started falling apart.

P2Vaircrewman
08-06-16, 22:22
A few of my coworkers have run the UA boots did nothing but complain. They said their comfortable but they only got a couple months of use out of them before they started falling apart.

What do they walk through, I have never had any type of shoe fall apart in a couple of months.

Turnkey11
08-06-16, 22:52
What do they walk through, I have never had any type of shoe fall apart in a couple of months.

Ive worn them a few times off and on since they were released, mainly due to their lightweight and ability to pass through a metal detector. Ive gone through 3 pairs; each pair Ive owned broke down internally (heel and arch support, the failure was in the sole itself, new insoles did not fix the issue) within 4-5 months, the last pair introduced me to plantar fascitis. I have since gone back to BelleVille 390's (which do not clear the metal detector, minor inconvenience) and not looking back this time.

Zim
08-06-16, 23:30
I ordered a pair of Lalo Grinders. I'll post a quick review once they've arrived.

Koshinn
08-07-16, 00:32

I have two sets of these (tan and green), great boots for uniform wear.

I like my Merrel boots too.

Psybain
08-07-16, 02:21
I like my garmont t6's. Got them a few years ago from extreme outfitters when I was stationed in NC and they were comfortable right from the start. Used them to hike Petra in jordan in late may, 2014 with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Wake27
08-07-16, 03:57
I like my garmont t6's. Got them a few years ago from extreme outfitters when I was stationed in NC and they were comfortable right from the start. Used them to hike Petra in jordan in late may, 2014 with no problems.

I like mine a lot but they destroyed my feet when rucking.

Psybain
08-07-16, 06:02
I like mine a lot but they destroyed my feet when rucking.

That sucks dude, what happened?

cop1211
08-07-16, 07:21
I had a pair of UA boots for duty wear, they were nice for about 3 months, then heels started to wear fast, they are junk in my opinion, cheaply made.

Outlander Systems
08-07-16, 12:56
Shoes and boots are a very subjective thing.

That said, I had four years of high-mileage out of these, and refuse to pitch them. They're like slippers now.

https://outlandersystemsblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/image1.jpeg?w=1068

https://outlandersystemsblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/image2.jpeg?w=1068

Wake27
08-07-16, 15:08
That sucks dude, what happened?

No idea. I've never gotten blisters like that before. It was my first time rucking in them but they had been my field boots for at least a year so I felt that they were very broken in. Maybe jumping into a 12 miler with them was just too much. Not an issue for my Rocky S2Vs though.

Joelski
08-07-16, 15:20
The cons ran hot and cold for me. I had a pair that felt like clouds for your feet, and another the same exact size that felt like Thorogood's torture devices!

HKGuns
08-07-16, 15:21
I have had good luck with Vasque they are solid and offer excellent support.

I also own a few pairs of Oakley's but they are light weight or special purpose boots.

Outlander Systems
08-07-16, 15:30
LOL!

I had a pair of desert ones that were the opposite of the black. Not cozy. Took forever to break in. I absolutely expected the soles to seperate, as that's usually what I kill on boots, but these things have been one of the most solid sets of footwear I've owned.

The cons ran hot and cold for me. I had a pair that felt like clouds for your feet, and another the same exact size that felt like Thorogood's torture devices!

Wa22ioR
08-08-16, 05:11
I have had two pairs of UA Valsetz boots and will say they are extremely comfortable, probably the most comfortable boot I've worn. Problem is they did not last. I went through both pairs in around 2-3 months each. The soles separated from the bottom of the actual boot material. I think their boots are too pliable and the glue used between the sole and upper is not strong enough. I sent them back and UA sent new boots. One pair is sitting in closet and the other is used for training and physical assessments only.

I bought a pair of Lowa Zephyr GTX-MID TF boots and cannot be happier. Still a light boot, strong and will last a long time. There was minimal break-in, probably two shifts and hot spots were gone.

johnking
08-08-16, 11:03
i have Salomon, they pretty good so far. But the GTX can run hot in the summner.

Psybain
08-08-16, 11:47
I have had two pairs of UA Valsetz boots and will say they are extremely comfortable, probably the most comfortable boot I've worn. Problem is they did not last. I went through both pairs in around 2-3 months each. The soles separated from the bttom of thr acutal boot material. I think their boots are too pliable and the glue used between the sole and upper is not strong enough. I sent them back and UA sent new boots. One pair is sitting in closet and the other is used for training and physical assessments only.

I bought a pair of Lowa Zephyr GTX-MID TF boots and cannot be happier. Still a light boot, strong and will last a long time. There was minimal break-in, probably two shifts and hot spots were gone.
I heard the zephyrs soles are pretty slippery in wet areas, any truth to that?

johnking
08-08-16, 11:50
The zephyr soles doesnt have much deep tread

Wa22ioR
08-08-16, 16:46
I heard the zephyrs soles are pretty slippery in wet areas, any truth to that?

I have not found myself having problems with traction. JohnKing is correct when he said the traction is not really deep, but it may be due to how have the traction is oriented and the compound they use. Not sure, but have been pleased with them thus far.

Psybain
08-08-16, 17:36
I have not found myself having problems with traction. JohnKing is correct when he said the traction is not really deep, but it may be due to how have the traction is oriented and the compound they use. Not sure, but have been pleased with them thus far.
Thanks for the clarification. I had been stearing clear of them until I could verify it with someone that owned a pair.

Zim
08-11-16, 00:14
They weren't for me. Going up one half size that they recommend was spot on. I don't pronate more than a few degrees naturally, but the LALO Grinders were forcing my ankles to cave very uncomfortably inward.

SamuelBLong
10-17-16, 03:05
I also went through multiple pairs of UnderArmor boots quickly. The rubberized coating near the ball of my toes would wear out and crack, then the heels started to separate.

I'm now trying out the Tactical Research / Belleville waterproof Khybers.

So far so good. Hands down the lightest weight waterproof boot I've tried. Zero break in need and very supportive.

I have a super wide foot and so far it's the only boot that meets work requirements I can wear that's both lightweight and waterproofed.

pinzgauer
10-17-16, 08:18
USMA (West Point) cadet experience is that the Belleville, Bates, and Garmont boots hold up much better.

Under Armour and Nike do not hold up even for Garrison wear, much less field usage during summer training.

The Nikes and similar are popular in Ranger school only for the timed ruck (run) due to the lightweight cobstruction. But are not recommended for anything else.

The Khybers have a pretty good reputation but can be hard to find.

Wake27
10-18-16, 03:00
USMA (West Point) cadet experience is that the Belleville, Bates, and Garmont boots hold up much better.

Under Armour and Nike do not hold up even for Garrison wear, much less field usage during summer training.

The Nikes and similar are popular in Ranger school only for the timed ruck (run) due to the lightweight cobstruction. But are not recommended for anything else.

The Khybers have a pretty good reputation but can be hard to find.

I was underwhelmed by my Garmonts and I know tons of people that use the Nikes on rucks but I think it's severely misguided. Got it, they're light so it doesn't feel like your feet are wearing bricks. However if you're under a load, I'm relatively certain you need more support in your feet, not less. To me, it's like the guy at air assault a few months ago that didn't drink water because he didn't want to weigh himself down. Good job genius, that's why you passed out before finishing.

Titan74
10-18-16, 07:12
One brand that has not yet been mentioned is Haix. I bought my first pair 7 years ago, and I've since become their fanboy with now 5-6 pairs (the original pair is still going strong). Haix is the leading European manufacturer of shoes for professional use, so most models are targeted towards MIL/LEO/EMR/FD use. I've had boots from many quality brands (Meindl, Lowa, Salomon, Keen etc. included), but since I found Haix there has been no need to look elsewhere. My requirements for shoes are probably above average, as my use includes rucking in varying weather conditions from warm summer to arctic winter.

Turnkey11
10-19-16, 08:28
To me, it's like the guy at air assault a few months ago that didn't drink water because he didn't want to weigh himself down. Good job genius, that's why you passed out before finishing.

We had a guy recycled after the 12 miler because he brought a folded piece of paper instead of a notepad. Pure genius.

Titan74
10-20-16, 15:46
However if you're under a load, I'm relatively certain you need more support in your feet, not less.

Exactly. Actually, even modest loads (such as a battle loadout with a PC) call for rather stiff boots: without those the likelihood of back problems increases.

I have different boots for different uses, loadouts and seasons, and I tend to prefer slightly stiffer shoes in each category. A great all-rounder from Haix is the Airpower P6: it is light, well breathing and stable boot that is good for patrol, running and light rucking. Haix also has lighter shoes, such as Black Eagle Tactical (it is basically a tactical sneaker), and stiffer shoes such as GSG9-X or KSK 3000 (which is already a really stiff boot that is wonderful for rough terrain and heavy loadouts). If you are a habitual door kicker, then X21 might be a better model for you. Most models can be rebuilt by the manufacturer, which is usually a very good indication of the quality of the construction of the boots.

It seems that the Police Mag just published the results of a LEO wear test of the Black Eagle Tactical, http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2016/10/wear-testing-the-haix-black-eagle-tactical-boots.aspx. My personal opinion of the Black Eagle differs somewhat from the test results: it is very comfortable but it is still a sneaker, and despite the looks, it is not quite up to the same quality level as the other "real" Haix boots. If you need protection from dirt and water they are perfectly fine, but if you environment has real hazards, then Haix has real boots that will keep you protected.