PDA

View Full Version : "The Gap" gateway for refugees and migrants to US.

WillBrink
08-03-16, 12:38
The Darién Gap is well known for it's being the last strong hold of the FARC and other two legged varmints of all kinds best avoided, and where the main character of my Vacation Gone South (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?167590-Vacation-Gone-South-A-Novalla-(Part-I-II-and-III!))) series has to go looking for his missing buddy. The Gap has now taken on a new dimension, which is as a major gateway for human traffickers of economic migrants and those fleeing from war torn areas all over the globe attempting to get to the US. I don't know what % of them make it, but many go in and do not come out...

This story just up on NPR says it all and worth a listen:

"The Darién Gap, the lawless jungle between Colombia and Panama. Migrants from around the world risk crossing it to get to the U.S. Treacherous. Terrifying. Insect-infested. Rife with snakes, scorpions, drug runners and guerilla rebels. It’s the Darien Gap, a law-less, road-less, swampy jungle between Colombia and Panama. And it’s become an increasingly popular, extremely dangerous route for refugees and migrants trying to make their way to the United States. This hour On Point, a conversation with someone who’s hiked the Darien Gap and the desperate people he encountered along the way."

Source: Stories From The Dangerous Darién Gap (http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2016/08/03/darien-gap-migrants-cuba)

This is a major concern as you might imagine and the US is being pro active about it I believe. There's an M4C member who was there recently returned who was working The Gap in conjunction with local governmental forces focused on the human trafficking aspects. He can chime in if he wishes. Here's a pic he was nice enough to send from The Gap:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/Darien%20Gap/DSC_0095_zps3gpqx7o3.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/Darien%20Gap/DSC_0095_zps3gpqx7o3.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/Darien%20Gap/DSC_0025_zpsbpzrskp9.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/Darien%20Gap/DSC_0025_zpsbpzrskp9.jpg.html)

lowprone
08-03-16, 13:25
Where there's a will, there's a way !

WillBrink
08-03-16, 14:47
Where there's a will, there's a way !

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-14251-Eddie-Murphy-I-see-what-you-di-PAQX.jpeg

soulezoo
08-03-16, 15:02
This is not to be confused with the Fulda Gap... which is a whole different sort of immigration.

Or the thigh gap... again, different immigration. :-)

sgtrock82
08-03-16, 15:42
I for one am Glad its so dang treacherous. I suppose now its on us fat greedy tax paying US citizens to carve out a path w/ bike lanes and staffed rest areas with interactive "under the table job" search kiosks social service offices, photo licensing centers and sbarro pizza.

HeruMew
08-03-16, 17:08
I for one am Glad its so dang treacherous. I suppose now its on us fat greedy tax paying US citizens to carve out a path w/ bike lanes and staffed rest areas with interactive "under the table job" search kiosks social service offices, photo licensing centers and sbarro pizza.

Cause 'Murica.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-03-16, 17:12
This is not to be confused with the Fulda Gap... which is a whole different sort of immigration.

Or the thigh gap... again, different immigration. :-)

Mind the gap

WillBrink
03-02-20, 10:57
Bumping this thread with a good read. It surprises me how little attention this area gets considering its importance to a very hot topic these days, illegal migration to the US. Currently typing this from my place in Panama. Here another week, then back to Gringo land...

How Panama Became the Most Treacherous Crossing Point for Migrants on a Long Journey to the U.S.

"...as they approach the Colombia-Panama border. This is the starting point of one of the world’s densest and most isolated stretches of jungle: the Darien Gap. This also happens to be the only passage between South and Central America. Within the Darien Gap, there are no roads or north-to-south rivers to help with navigation, and the only ways to successfully reach Panama are by trekking on foot or hiring a boat for the several hours it takes to circumvent this stretch. Migrants arrive on buses to the Colombian towns of Turbo or Necocli, and then must take a boat to one of three towns in the Darien Gap, including the town of Capurganá. From Capurganá, it takes anywhere from five to eight days to walk to the nearest road, town, or even the closest cell phone tower.

For migrants who recount their journeys from the U.S., the Darien Gap is often remembered as the most difficult section of the entire journey. There are only two ways to try to make it through. The first is to hike through the thick brush, which takes at least five days. This route is physically taxing, often requiring hacking through the jungle with machetes in extreme heat, without any basic services, and with no shortage of mosquitos and other disease-carrying insects. During the rainy season, the small streams running east to west frequently flood their banks, washing migrants away with their strong currents. As well as these natural barriers, this section of the jungle is also controlled by the Clan del Golfo. This Colombian criminal organization, and paramilitary group, smuggles drugs through the Darien Gap’s boundaries. It also controls the flow of migrants by demanding a tax from each for the right to pass. Migrants must contract a guide to get through the jungle but are frequently abandoned or turn back after getting lost or injured."

Cont:

https://time.com/5340697/migration-america-panama/?

03-03-20, 04:58
Wait... are you telling me that wandering through the jungle for a week sucks, and that one should bring a rifle, compass, and a few friends?

Oooooooh noooooo.

MegademiC
03-03-20, 14:45
And you still have to get through Nicaragua, Honduras or San Salvador, and Mexico.

I dont think Costa Rica, would be a problem.

ST911
03-03-20, 15:10
And you still have to get through Nicaragua, Honduras or San Salvador, and Mexico. I dont think Costa Rica, would be a problem.

Backcountry travel in the western half of Nica is pretty tame.

MegademiC
03-04-20, 22:31
Backcountry travel in the western half of Nica is pretty tame.

Good to know. We went to Costa Rica and Panama (islands in the Caribbean side) and had a great time. Ran into some people who suggested against going North of CR. Havent been myself.

WillBrink
03-05-20, 09:40
Good to know. We went to Costa Rica and Panama (islands in the Caribbean side) and had a great time. Ran into some people who suggested against going North of CR. Havent been myself.

All those places do have roads at least, such as they are. I would assume they recommend not going north of CR due to crime?

MegademiC
03-05-20, 18:37
All those places do have roads at least, such as they are. I would assume they recommend not going north of CR due to crime?

It wasnt crime, it was culture. They did not enjoy their time north. Maybe they hit the wrong spots. CR, Panama, even in Panama City, everyone seemed to enjoy life. It was a “nice” experience. We stay next to and visit an indigenous tribe there. The people live in thatched huts, and they are generally jovial.

What these people we talked to said (and not the only time I’ve heard it) was that Honduras and Nicaragua felt “depressed” and made it unenjoyable.

As for my initial comment on traveling through to get to the US, that was in reference to the crime/violence.
Do those countries still have strong drug cartels? I thought they were hotbeds at one point. I think Panama was as well, but seems to have been getting better the last 10-20 years. I didnt know about the Darien Gap until this thread, but not surprising due to proximity to Columbia.

WillBrink
03-06-20, 11:43
It wasnt crime, it was culture. They did not enjoy their time north. Maybe they hit the wrong spots. CR, Panama, even in Panama City, everyone seemed to enjoy life. It was a “nice” experience. We stay next to and visit an indigenous tribe there. The people live in thatched huts, and they are generally jovial.

What these people we talked to said (and not the only time I’ve heard it) was that Honduras and Nicaragua felt “depressed” and made it unenjoyable.

As for my initial comment on traveling through to get to the US, that was in reference to the crime/violence.
Do those countries still have strong drug cartels? I thought they were hotbeds at one point. I think Panama was as well, but seems to have been getting better the last 10-20 years. I didnt know about the Darien Gap until this thread, but not surprising due to proximity to Columbia.

Panama was ranked happiest country on earth several times in fact. Usually it's some time Nordic country, but Panama was #1 at least twice I recall. How the hell they measure such things I don't know. People generally pretty happy go lucky there, one reason I purchased my place (where I'm currently typing from BTW) in the city.

I can totally envision people in Honduras and Nicaragua being just generally unhappy. Lots of crime, poverty, etc there. Person who rented my place as from Nicaragua and she came from a wealthy family, but always being behind gated locations with guards and such does not sound like fun either.

VLODPG
03-07-20, 08:06
Very interesting thread with quite an unknown subject by most including myself.

WillBrink
03-07-20, 09:15
Very interesting thread with quite an unknown subject by most including myself.

I have been fascinated by the Gap since learning of it when I started coming to Panama about 10 years ago.