PDA

View Full Version : New movie by writer of Sicario: Hell or High Water

austinN4
08-03-16, 19:49
Didn't see this posted yet. Looks pretty good!

HELL OR HIGH WATER Trailer (Chris Pine, Ben Foster - Action, 2016)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQoqsKoJVDw

Review: Hell Or High Water: The Best American Movie Of The Year — So Far
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-eig/hell-or-high-water-the-be_b_11308298.html

SeriousStudent
08-03-16, 20:33
From the trailer, it looks like it's set in my part of the world. I grew up a horseback ride away from where they shot No Country for Old Men.

I think I will see this.

Jellybean
08-03-16, 21:32
Sicario was pretty bleh.
But I want to see this one.

Vandal
08-03-16, 21:46
Glad to see Chris Pine getting away from Star Trek. I liked what he did in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit even though the movie was pretty ok.

nml
08-03-16, 22:36
Yeah Sicario was disappointment.

Moose-Knuckle
08-04-16, 04:09
Been wanting to see this one since I first saw the trailer on FB a while back.

Southern noir, I'm in!

Honu
08-04-16, 05:22
looks good :)

CRAMBONE
08-04-16, 05:36
Kind of has a rural south west "The Town" vibe. I really like that version of Knocking on Heaven's Door.

OH58D
08-04-16, 08:01
From the trailer, it looks like it's set in my part of the world. I grew up a horseback ride away from where they shot No Country for Old Men.

I think I will see this.
Set in Texas, but filmed here in eastern New Mexico. Last year they were filming in Tucumcari, just south east from here. They rented most of a hotel for cast and crew in that town. I heard they were filming in Clovis and Portales as well. New Mexico gives some nice incentives for Hollywood companies to shoot here.

brickboy240
08-04-16, 10:08
They filmed "No Country" out near Marfa. I recognized the scenery.

Beautiful part of our state.

Bulletdog
08-04-16, 12:18
They filmed "No Country" out near Marfa. I recognized the scenery.

Beautiful part of our state.

There were locations all over NM for that one. The river scenes were filmed on the Rio Grand about half way between Santa Fe and Taos. Some scenes were filmed in Las Vegas, NM too.

Firefly
08-04-16, 13:06
I like Ben del Toro (esp. Way of the Gun) but missed Sicario and everybody said it sucked.

But I LOVED No Country for Old Men.

It is up there with Unforgiven in my book.

brickboy240
08-04-16, 13:21
Sicario did not suck but it was not a fantastic flick like "No Country" go rent it...it is worth watching. Del Toro does an amazing job...as usual.

TAZ
08-04-16, 13:51
Sicario did not suck but it was not a fantastic flick like "No Country" go rent it...it is worth watching. Del Toro does an amazing job...as usual.

1+.

Hell or high water seems like a rewrite of the James' history set in modern times. I'll probably go see it.

Falar
08-04-16, 14:07
I like Ben del Toro (esp. Way of the Gun) but missed Sicario and everybody said it sucked.

But I LOVED No Country for Old Men.

It is up there with Unforgiven in my book.

Unforgiven: A+

No Country for Old Men............started off great. The climax was a massive letdown though. There was this huge buildup, like there was going to be this amazing The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-esque Mexican standoff at the end but then bam, its over with very little screen time. One of the biggest letdowns I've ever seen in film.

Firefly
08-04-16, 14:15
Unforgiven: A+

No Country for Old Men............started off great. The climax was a massive letdown though. There was this huge buildup, like there was going to be this amazing The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-esque Mexican standoff at the end but then bam, its over with very little screen time. One of the biggest letdowns I've ever seen in film.

Actually. That's why I like it.

It makes you think that over the hill, has-been bordering on never-was Tommy Lee is going to have this redemptive battle with Anton thus ensuring him a legacy as a lawman.

But that would have been a cartoon.

It actually hurts more that a person can spend their whole life in public service and so forth only to get unceremoniously put to pasture. No honorable death, no fight with the bad guy. Just "thanks but no thanks. Turn in your gear, take your personal effects. Have a nice life."

His monologue at the end was especially haunting. Especially when you understand he now realizes he was never the hero.

Falar
08-04-16, 14:31
Actually. That's why I like it.

It makes you think that over the hill, has-been bordering on never-was Tommy Lee is going to have this redemptive battle with Anton thus ensuring him a legacy as a lawman.

But that would have been a cartoon.

It actually hurts more that a person can spend their whole life in public service and so forth only to get unceremoniously put to pasture. No honorable death, no fight with the bad guy. Just "thanks but no thanks. Turn in your gear, take your personal effects. Have a nice life."

His monologue at the end was especially haunting. Especially when you understand he now realizes he was never the hero.

Yes it would have been a cartoon. But Llewellyn was also killed off screen by the mostly in the background cartel and we were robbed of another run-in between him and Anton as well.

I love movies that dare to be real and NOT give in to the Hollywood ending going back to when I was 8 years old and saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for the first time, followed shortly thereafter with the Deer Hunter. Prior to that, the only movie I had seen where the "hero" died was probably Scarface. However, in the case of No Country it felt more anti-climactic then realistic. Part of the problem was the quality of tension in so many earlier scenes just made the end feel......cheap and rushed.

austinN4
08-04-16, 14:43

BDT was absolutely the star of that movie. And somebody had coached him really well on his weapons. A lot of people complained they didn't like it because of the weak FBI agent (Emily Blunt). They failed to realize that was exactly what the CIA guy (Josh Brolin) wanted so they could operate in the US as a joint operation. I thought it was a good movie with some excellent moments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicario_(2015_film)

I am looking forward to Hell and High Water.

joe138
08-04-16, 16:28
It seems BDT's work with firearms is better than most. It is displayed in "Way of the Gun" and "Savages". I also thought that "Sicario" was worth seeing, not at a theater though.
I believe that Scotty Reitz trained BDT for the "Way of the Gun", I just can't remember where I read it.

SeriousStudent
08-04-16, 21:38
Correct, "Uncle Scotty" was his coach, and gave him high marks as a student who paid attention.

OH58D
08-04-16, 21:54
There were locations all over NM for that one. The river scenes were filmed on the Rio Grand about half way between Santa Fe and Taos. Some scenes were filmed in Las Vegas, NM too.
The border crossing scenes were filmed in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Watched them set that up; it's the closest "big" town to my ranch. I have friends in the film industry here and have worked as an extra on several westerns and a friend of the family supplies horses for the film industry. Last "extra" job in a western I did was the remake of 3:10 to Yuma, with Russell Crowe. Back in the 80's I had family do extra work in the film "Silverado". I didn't get to witness that because I was in Central America at the time. Lots of locals get hired for the film industry in this State. I'm kind of a camera nut and I pay close attention to motion picture equipment they use. A couple of years ago I got to go on the set up in Farmington, New Mexico when they were filming a Michael Douglas movie, "Beyond the Reach". Again, courtesy of a friend working on the film. The Director of Photography for the film was Russell Carpenter, and he worked with James Cameron shooting Titanic.

The camera they're using now is not the old 35mm Panavision Panaflex. Now it's all digital and it's called an Arriflex Alexa. Took some pictures of Douglas and crew while the filming was going on. One star of the film was a Mercedes 6x6. Incredible vehicle.

MountainRaven
08-04-16, 22:14
Didn't like No Country For Old Men. Implacable death machine does not a realistic movie make. And the end was totally anti-climactic. Not at all like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or Scarface.

Didn't much like The Town, either, but that's probably because all of the comparisons to Heat made me expect something more like Heat.

Enjoyed Sicario. Except the end was... eh.

I'm hoping that this is basically rural Texas Heat but I'm afraid it will be more rural Texas The Town, but with an ending from Sicario or No Country For Old Men.

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-16, 04:05
Set in Texas, but filmed here in eastern New Mexico. Last year they were filming in Tucumcari, just south east from here. They rented most of a hotel for cast and crew in that town. I heard they were filming in Clovis and Portales as well. New Mexico gives some nice incentives for Hollywood companies to shoot here.

Yup lot's of movies film there, most of my favorites.

Red Dawn (1984) was actually in NM, . . . Las Vegas, NM was the fictional Calumet, CO and I hear the Cowgirl sign is still up to this day that says Calumet.

austinN4
08-05-16, 04:37
Didn't much like The Town, either, but that's probably because all of the comparisons to Heat made me expect something more like Heat.

Not sure I ever saw this one. Just added it to my Q.

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-16, 05:12
Not sure I ever saw this one. Just added it to my Q.

You'll like it, damn good movie IMHO.

OH58D
08-05-16, 08:14
Yup lot's of movies film there, most of my favorites.

Red Dawn (1984) was actually in NM, . . . Las Vegas, NM was the fictional Calumet, CO and I hear the Cowgirl sign is still up to this day that says Calumet.
Yep, the Cowgirl Howdy sign was still there the last time I passed by. Las Vegas was the main town in Red Dawn. The scenes for the Wolverine campsite was east of Raton, NM up on a mesa. When watching the original Red Dawn it's fun to see some buildings that don't exist any longer or have been renovated. I missed out on a lot of the filming in New Mexico back in those days, spending my time in the service of Uncle Sam in third world hell holes.

brickboy240
08-05-16, 09:48
No Country was a Coen brothers film. The guys that did Fargo, O' Brother Where Are Thou and the Hudsucker Proxy. Their films have a certain feel to them and you either like their movies or you do not.

I love their stuff, BTW and think they are genius directors.

OH58D
08-05-16, 10:33
No Country was a Coen brothers film. The guys that did Fargo, O' Brother Where Are Thou and the Hudsucker Proxy. Their films have a certain feel to them and you either like their movies or you do not.

I've always had a fondness for "Raising Arizona", another Coen Brothers film.

Falar
08-05-16, 10:39

You forgot Miller's Crossing and The Big Lebowski.

donlapalma
08-05-16, 10:48

Agreed. Alain Resnais once said on a DVD commentary (Hiroshima Mon Amour - I think?) that he is simply creating a mold and that it is up to the viewer to fit themselves into that mold. If they cannot, than the film isn't for them.

I think the Coen Brothers are 21st century auteurs. In today's day and age, "auteurs" in the true sense of the word, are few and far between due to big studio and the commercialization of cinema. I can appreciate all their work and try to watch all their films.

brickboy240
08-05-16, 11:07
Yes, I loved Millers Crossing and Raising Arizona too. They have too many great films for me to list!

donlapalma
08-17-16, 17:59
I saw Hell or High Water yesterday and absolutely loved it. The casting was excellent with Jeff Bridges stealing the show with his deadpan witty delivery. The cinematography was beautiful. The action was well paced and meaningful. I would definitely see it again in theaters and recommend it to all of you.

WillBrink
08-17-16, 18:05
I saw Hell or High Water yesterday and absolutely loved it. The casting was excellent with Jeff Bridges stealing the show with his deadpan witty delivery. The cinematography was beautiful. The action was well paced and meaningful. I would definitely see it again in theaters and recommend it to all of you.

I thought Sicario was one of the best movies in the genre I'd seen in a very long time, so no surprise this one is a winner. Cool beans.

brickboy240
08-17-16, 19:24
I agree Will. I was expecting Sicario to suck from many reviews here but was pleasantly surprised.