PDA

View Full Version : Number of Lower receivers to other AR parts?

ISiman/oh
08-04-16, 05:23
Reading another thread got me to thinking a little bit (dangerous I know). It's seems there is a considerable amount of people buying up extra lower receivers for various reasons so there is a considerable demand for them on gun store shelves. But what about the other parts required to actually build the gun? Most scarce actually seems to be the upper receivers. I know several friends of mine that have anywhere from 5-10 lower receivers on hand for "just in case". But it seems they will serve as a pretty good paperweight when all the other parts dry up. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GH41
08-04-16, 06:21
My thoughts... We should be concentrating our efforts on keeping HC out of the white house not some "just in case" investment strategy. With one SC justice and a stroke of a pen she could make possession of your investment a crime.

wildcard600
08-04-16, 07:04
A lower without the other parts is worthless. I think some people are thinking that uppers and other parts may still be available if a ban comes to pass, but I don't take much stock in that myself.

Better to have X number of complete firearms instead of X number of random parts that can't do anything by themselves.

As for spare parts, an extra BCG or bolt and a few firing pins, cam pins, springs and bolt catches would be a good idea to have on hand.

Averageman
08-04-16, 08:46
Four AR's, one completed Lower and a box full of parts and springs for my lowers.
I'm not in a hurry to buy another lower, what I need is an extra BCG and more parts to rebuild my bolts.
Those buying large amounts of lowers may be in the business of speculating based on past market trends.
I think that what is coming has nothing to do with past trends, I really think we may be heading for something else and it doesn't look good.

Outlander Systems
08-04-16, 11:44
Normalcy bias.

Dudes ASSume the next ban will be like those prior, and that, as long as they have their "grandfathered" lowers, they'll be GTG.

dobe
08-04-16, 11:52
I'm afraid that the next ban will not be on just the manufacturing of "assault weapons", but also on the possession.

If you are a gun owner and not an NRA member, you better consider spending a little pocket change, and join.

Firefly
08-04-16, 13:09
Get what you can while you can.

MistWolf
08-04-16, 14:14
The outcome of gun control laws is not only in the hands of of people like Hillary and her cronies. If it was, everything would have been taken from us generations ago. Gun banners didn't make mistakes by allowing items to be grandfathered in or letting the AWB sunset. Those were attempts by those who would protect our liberties to limit the damage that would have been done by such unconstitutional laws. (It's also the result of the efforts of politicians trying to protect their office.)

What we need to do is not give up and we need to push back hard. We need to make friends with politicians who are our friends, put pressure on those who are wishy-washy and out those who are clearly bad for our liberties and freedoms. Don't let anyone get you to thinking there's nothing we can do or that we must meekly accept whatever fate tyrants have waiting for us

dobe
08-04-16, 14:15
Join the NRA

ColtSeavers
08-04-16, 15:02
Get complete rifles. If you have rifle parts not designated as spare parts, complete those rifles. Remember that after Sandy Hook everything gun related was gone or disappeared within minutes. EVERYTHING.

Right now there is still time and availability, use them.

Vote accordingly.

jp0319
08-05-16, 09:27
I have a couple of lowers but not really because of what might be coming, more because I want to use them to build a couple SBRs in the future. I have a 9mm lower and a multi cal lower. I have added a second AR, Magazines, and some ammo recently to hedge against future possibilities but the lowers I have I plan on eventually building into complete guns. Once I recover from the hit of recent purchases I do need to stock up some quality spare parts (Bolts, Carriers, buffer springs, etc.). Buying up mass amounts of lowers as an investment is a dick move in my opinion, your limiting the ability of fellow firearms enthusiasts to make guns that they would like to and or driving up cost. Not to mention that some of these people are doing this so that if things go shitty they can sell them to poor schmoes at huge markups, not so they can build 20 more AR's.

kirkland
08-05-16, 18:58
Ammo is priority number one. If you need any ammo buy it now. How many AR's do you have? Do you have enough ammo to even wear one of those AR's out? probably not. Buy ammo.

dsk
08-05-16, 19:18
Normalcy bias.

Dudes ASSume the next ban will be like those prior, and that, as long as they have their "grandfathered" lowers, they'll be GTG.

I've already said this before, but people seem to forget that the last AWB did not grandfather unassembled lowers. You had to have a complete, functional rifle on or before the date the ban took effect for it to be a legal pre-ban. After that date you could only assemble a post-ban rifle out of a lower, even one made and sold before the ban. Nobody knows what the next ban will do, but don't expect them to be dumb enough to allow post-ban ARs again with everything but the bayonet lug and flash hider. The next ban will likely prohibit things like detachable magazines and pistol grips entirely, essentially killing off the AR commercially unless you want an abomination like what NY and CA owners are now stuck with.

3 AE
08-06-16, 12:06
I'm afraid that the next ban will not be on just the manufacturing of "assault weapons", but also on the possession.

If you are a gun owner and not an NRA member, you better consider spending a little pocket change, and join.

You nailed it. And don't forget to join GOA and your state pro-gun association. It would help forgoing the purchase of some "Super-slick BCG", badass looking rail, or some other tacticool accessory, and contribute to the PAC fund of your choosing. We need to BUY the votes just like any other campaign issue. Money talks....., well, you know the rest. :big_boss:

Bulletdog
08-06-16, 18:15
Reading another thread got me to thinking a little bit (dangerous I know). It's seems there is a considerable amount of people buying up extra lower receivers for various reasons so there is a considerable demand for them on gun store shelves. But what about the other parts required to actually build the gun? Most scarce actually seems to be the upper receivers. I know several friends of mine that have anywhere from 5-10 lower receivers on hand for "just in case". But it seems they will serve as a pretty good paperweight when all the other parts dry up. Thoughts?

My thoughts? The serial numbered lower IS the "gun". That's the single part that requires a 4473 and NICS. All else can be mail ordered and sent to your door, or scrounged from wherever you can find it. If any sort of AWB goes into place, its these lowers that you won't be able to get. Of course the other parts are necessary, but there are no .gov permission slips needed to get parts kits, grips, barrels, rails, BCGs, stocks, buffer tube kits, etc…

My problem was/is that every time I bough another extra stripped lower, or four, to "have around just in case", I realized I already had all the stuff to build it, sooooooooo…… I just went ahead and built it... Uhh…. them. Then on my next trip the the LGS to buy something, I would just thrown a couple of those $99 stripped lowers on that 4473. Might as well keep a few spares around, right? Then I'd take them home and… hey look… extra parts kits here and Geissele triggers there, a buffer tube here, an extra B5 there… awe heck, might as well just build the thing and order up another complete upper from DD. (Many thanks for building them how I wanted them DD!) Rinse and repeat, and repeat and repeat… I later found out that my friends and family were planning an AR "intervention" for me if I hadn't stopped on my own. Then they all found out I was making ARs so they could cover my flanks if need be, and they were all cool with it. I told them: "Hey. I can only shoot one at a time. Who do you think all the other ones are for?" :o

jp0319
08-08-16, 07:59
I've already said this before, but people seem to forget that the last AWB did not grandfather unassembled lowers. You had to have a complete, functional rifle on or before the date the ban took effect for it to be a legal pre-ban. After that date you could only assemble a post-ban rifle out of a lower, even one made and sold before the ban. Nobody knows what the next ban will do, but don't expect them to be dumb enough to allow post-ban ARs again with everything but the bayonet lug and flash hider. The next ban will likely prohibit things like detachable magazines and pistol grips entirely, essentially killing off the AR commercially unless you want an abomination like what NY and CA owners are now stuck with.

How would anybody know you hadn't assembled a full firearm? I mean the lower is the firearm as far as any documentation or tracking goes, there is no way for anyone to tell when you went from a stripped lower to a complete firearm unless you are making an SBR which obviously takes registration.

johnking
08-08-16, 09:53
get complete rifle.

Corse
08-09-16, 03:54
get complete rifle.

Not always that easy to squeeze another rifle into the budget.

Jewell
08-09-16, 04:32
When I do happen to have lowers laying around, they usually become complete rifles sooner rather than later. Can't help myself.

Microadventure
08-09-16, 09:09
My thoughts? The serial numbered lower IS the "gun". That's the single part that requires a 4473 and NICS. All else can be mail ordered and sent to your door, or scrounged from wherever you can find it

...at this time. consider the prospect of politicians passing unconstitutional laws, enforcing them, and getting the supreme court stuffed with 9 flaming liberals. said flaming liberals decree the unconstitutional laws to be constitutional and we're toast.

Benito
08-09-16, 09:48
...at this time. consider the prospect of politicians passing unconstitutional laws, enforcing them, and getting the supreme court stuffed with 9 flaming liberals. said flaming liberals decree the unconstitutional laws to be constitutional and we're toast.

Yep. Just look at California. The Constitution is just an obsolete piece of paper to the tyrants that reign there. Same thing for the Feds.

556BlackRifle
08-09-16, 12:03

Spot on. This is the vision that BH0, HRC and their cronies have for the USA and if HRC wins, we are screwed.