PDA

View Full Version : Kinder, gentler, Obama - commuting gun criminals' sentences @ a record pace!

The_War_Wagon
08-04-16, 08:27
Stopping criminals in their tracks, I see!

Obama Shortens Sentences For 56 Federal Prisoners With Gun Convictions (http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/03/obama-shortens-sentences-for-56-federal-prisoners-with-gun-convictions/)

President Barack Obama announced on Wednesday that he is shortening prison sentences for 214 federal prisoners, 56 of whom have firearms related convictions on their records.

The mass commutation is the largest ever issued in a single day U.S. history, the White House said in a press release.

Obama has now shortened sentences for 562 federal prisoners, more than the nine previous presidents combined. Nearly 200 of those prisoners were serving life sentences, including 67 of the felons in the most recent batch of commutations.

While Obama has said that he wants to commute sentences for nonviolent drug criminals, the latest commutations suggest that the administration is lowering the bar by shortening sentences for gun criminals.

It also undermines Obama’s calls for tougher gun laws to cut gun crime.

In May, Obama announced he was commuting sentences for 58 federal prisoners. None of those had firearms convictions. In March, Obama commuted sentences for 61 convicts, 12 of whom had firearms related convictions. In a round of commutations announced in December, Obama commuted sentences for 95 convicts. Thirteen had firearms convictions.

Most of the federal felons on Wednesday’s list were convicted of carrying or using firearms while trafficking drugs. Others were charged with illegally possessing firearms because they are felons.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/chicago_way.jpg

Averageman
08-04-16, 08:54
How many of those 562 convicts took a plea deal to have the gun charges taken off the table?
In the meantime things are lining up for some SCoTUS cases that will likely take guns out of the hands of law abiding Americans.

SteyrAUG
08-04-16, 14:42
Most of these were not "gun criminals" but drug dealers who had guns and a history of violence.

Obama is releasing violent drug dealers.

Big A
08-04-16, 15:21
I would be interested to know the demographics of these convicts.

glocktogo
08-04-16, 15:30

I'll take "No Saltine Americans popped on BATFE stings of non-violent offenders" for $400 Alex.

nof555
08-04-16, 16:46
Obama just enlightened me in the press conference. Apparently he made sure that it was soley an additional firearms charge and, since the firearm wasn't used in a violent crime, it's okay to forget about it.

So it's okay for felons to be found in possession of a firearm but outrageous for a law abiding citizen to own them.

If you can, watch the q&a at the end of the press conference today. It will frustrate you to no end, but is funny because how publicly he can be outrageously hypocritical and get away with it.

The_War_Wagon
08-04-16, 18:05
Most of these were not "gun criminals" but drug dealers who had guns and a history of violence.

Obama is releasing violent drug dealers.

BINGO! :mad:

SteyrAUG
08-04-16, 18:05

There was a source that had them by state listing their conviction. Lot of "meth" arrests in the midwest. Race isn't going to be a factor, the commonality is "drug dealers" who had firearms.

Averageman
08-04-16, 18:58
There was a source that had them by state listing their conviction. Lot of "meth" arrests in the midwest. Race isn't going to be a factor, the commonality is "drug dealers" who had firearms.

That's odd, it's odd because if you live in a "Three Strikes" State a two time felon selling a gram or more of Meth who happens to have a handgun under the seat and the dope in the cup holder might quickly plead guilty to the dope in order to have the gun set aside in the plea deal.
I really don't care about the plea deal, if we have a violent felon with dope and a gun, there should be no plea deal. The charges should stand and if they don't get Life for their continued mistakes, how is that justice?
Seeing that now these guys might get to walk on a seriously reduced sentence, how are we being served? They will be back on the same streets as me, my parents and my kid, I'm sorry, it just shouldn't work that way.
I am thinking if these guys get released to a half way house it needs to be right next to our elected officials residence.

titsonritz
08-04-16, 19:03
I wonder how many of these fine upstanding citizens have/will reoffend.

ABNAK
08-04-16, 19:08
Anyone want to lay odds on what chances a tax-paying, productive citizen would have at a pardon/commutation for violating a future AWB by being in possession of a "contraband" item?

Kain
08-04-16, 19:12
Anyone want to lay odds on what chances a tax-paying, productive citizen would have at a pardon/commutation for violating a future AWB by being in possession of a "contraband" item?

A snowball fight in the 9th circle of hell would have better odds would be my guess. More so if you posted you didn't vote for the regime in power online.

The only concern I have is these are the ones he is communing and pardoning now. Who the hell will he do as he exits?

thei3ug
08-04-16, 19:23
I suppose this would be a bad time to mention the paperwork I'm drafting this weekend...

a lot of facets to the drug conviction issue. Judges are starting to balk at the position they're put in. Relying heavily on mitigating circumstances, cost analysis of incarceration (this is fast becoming an important aspect), possibility for restitution, recidivism, negative effect of incarceration on community...

Really, it needs to be handled at the legislative level, but it's a dead end issue. The first person who says we need to "be weak on crime" is the first to be primaried.

unfortunately I don't get a say in who gets chosen or why. I met horrible, evil people with felon in possession. And I met idiot screw ups where the legal hits just kept coming. I have no idea who they picked or why.

I do know the number pardoned is a drop in the bucket, and will do nothing to stem the tide of incarceration. Maybe it will shed light on the problem for the briefest of moments before we are distracted by trump yelling at a baby again.

The drug enforcement system is broken.

ABNAK
08-04-16, 19:35
A snowball fight in the 9th circle of hell would have better odds would be my guess. More so if you posted you didn't vote for the regime in power online.

The only concern I have is these are the ones he is communing and pardoning now. Who the hell will he do as he exits?

That, my friend, is the $64,000 question. God only knows. I shudder at the though but something tells me it will be highly unpopular here.....elsewhere? Not so much.

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-16, 04:28
Bear in mind all the while he is freeing "those associated with the justice system" he letting in as many illegals and fugees in as he can . . .

Benito
08-06-16, 06:08
You silly white rednecks, clinging to your God and guns.
Violent thug "minorities" who cling to drugs, illegal guns, gang life and gibs are totally I ok though.
Cuz slavery and stuff

FlyingHunter
11-22-16, 18:40
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-grants-79-more-commutations-to-federal-inmates-pushing-the-total-past-1000/2016/11/22/1c7b5710-b0db-11e6-840f-e3ebab6bcdd3_story.html

President Obama granted commutations Tuesday to 79 federal drug offenders who were imprisoned under harsh and outdated sentencing laws, pushing to more than 1,000 the number of inmates who have received clemency from him.

Obama’s historic number of commutations — more than the previous 11 presidents combined — was announced as administration officials are moving quickly to rule on all the pending clemency applications before the end of the president’s term.

About a third of the 1,023 inmates who have been granted clemency, 342 prisoners, were serving life sentences for their *offenses.

This hurts my head...

Firefly
11-22-16, 18:56
They'll be back

FlyingHunter
11-22-16, 19:09
They'll be back

Must be exceptionally demoralizing and frustrating for the LEO's that put them away in the first place.

Firefly
11-22-16, 19:41
Must be exceptionally demoralizing and frustrating for the LEO's that put them away in the first place.

They are used to it.

The glamorous world of law enforcement is where dreams go to die.

26 Inf
11-22-16, 20:45
Bear in mind all the while he is freeing "those associated with the justice system" he letting in as many illegals and fugees in as he can . . .

I realize you said that a couple months ago. I saw this in a story in today's paper about illegal immigration in Western Kansas:

Since 2013, more than 530,000 people have been deported under the Obama administration. Since Obama took office in 2008, he has deported 2.5 million, more than any president in history.

I agree that Obama is not particularly wanting to get tough on immigration, however, I think those numbers point out how little any previous President has actually done about illegal immigration since Operation Wetback.

Regarding those commuted sentences: the War on Drugs has been a bust. There was de facto disparate sentencing between ' middle/upper class drugs' and 'poor folks drugs.' Many of those released will be back unless they have put together some kind of reintegration and skills development program. Even then the numbers will be high.

JMO