PDA

View Full Version : Wearing ‘Don’t Tread on Me’ insignia could be punishable racial harassment

BBossman
08-05-16, 05:01
How long until everyone is forced to wear the party uniform blue coveralls?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/08/03/wearing-dont-tread-on-me-insignia-could-be-punishable-racial-harassment/

"On January 8, 2014, Complainant filed a formal complaint in which he alleged that the Agency subjected him to discrimination on the basis of race (African American) and in reprisal for prior EEO activity when, starting in the fall of 2013, a coworker (C1) repeatedly wore a cap to work with an insignia of the Gadsden Flag, which depicts a coiled rattlesnake and the phrase “Don’t Tread on Me.”

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-16, 05:19
Next will see Walmart/Amazon/Ebay pull all Gadsden Flag merchandise and ban future sales.

Mean while you'll still be able to pick up that ISIS SWAG you wanted.

Free speech is "hate speech" if it's coming from a white conservative.

Falar
08-05-16, 09:54
Next will see Walmart/Amazon/Ebay pull all Gadsden Flag merchandise and ban future sales.

Mean while you'll still be able to pick up that ISIS SWAG you wanted.

Free speech is "hate speech" if it's coming from a white conservative.

Add "straight male christian" to that and you are the personification of Satan himself in today's world.

brickboy240
08-05-16, 09:57
How long before we see that wearing the US flag is seen as racist or insensitive?

Maybe the Christian cross?

Oh...it is coming.

Bulletdog
08-05-16, 10:17
I'm pretty sure we are already at the point where being white is offensive.

26 Inf
08-05-16, 10:19
Wow! Reading that article and the author's comments made me think about what I'd do in the situation as the employer.

As various scenarios came to mind it dawned on me that in not all cases the special snowflake that is complaining would also be a slug worker. So what would I do if my best designer, comes to me bitching about 'Joe' (an average designer) wearing a 'choose life' tee shirt. Choose life is my stance, but I'm not running a pregnancy counseling center, I'm running a design firm, or a machine shop, etc.

My solution as an employer would be either wear the company logo items I provide, or your own clothing devoid of all slogans, advertising or design. Advocate on your own time. Same rules apply to everyone.

See, this is why we can't have nice things.

TAZ
08-05-16, 10:39
So when is someone going to sue for BLM shit??

chuckman
08-05-16, 10:48
Will we have to take down the Navy Jack then?? Return the patches we were given??

brushy bill
08-05-16, 10:50
So when is someone going to sue for BLM shit??

Would not work...some animals are more equal than others.

Firefly
08-05-16, 11:13
Honestly, I see where they are coming from.

Leave yo' personal shit at home.

I know people who do cute shit like:

Put Psalm 144:1 on their guns
Put Punisher skull stickers/front plates on their city government vehicles
Put confederate flags on ticket books
Wear cute pins on their uniforms that are not approved nor have any place on a uniform

etc

Look, if some dude wants to wear full stop Waffen SS garb at his home and sing Springtime for Hitler, well they can just goose step to their little baby hearts content. Likewise if someone wants to wear a Malcolm X cap ('memba then?) and bang on bongos chanting "Kill Whitey", have right on at it.

Just do it on personal time.

I hate when people try to be cute with their pieces of flair. Yeah it was cool to see guys in Vietnam write cool slogans on their helmets and flak jackets. Hell...walking around with no shirt on in jungle trousers, using a shotgun as a bong and getting back at Charlie looked cool as hell.

But sadly, it wasn't very professional and without context; it would be all to easy to look back and think "man, those guys were out of it".

People have years to parse and nitpick over what you do on one off day. No reason to give them extra ammo.

Just show up, put in time, go home.
Not hard.

Falar
08-05-16, 11:16
Honestly, I see where they are coming from.

Leave yo' personal shit at home.

I know people who do cute shit like:

Put Psalm 144:1 on their guns
Put Punisher skull stickers/front plates on their city government vehicles
Put confederate flags on ticket books
Wear cute pins on their uniforms that are not approved nor have any place on a uniform

etc

Look, if some dude wants to wear full stop Waffen SS garb at his home and sing Springtime for Hitler, well they can just goose step to their little baby hearts content. Likewise if someone wants to wear a Malcolm X cap ('memba then?) and bang on bongos chanting "Kill Whitey", have right on at it.

Just do it on personal time.

I hate when people try to be cute with their pieces of flair. Yeah it was cool to see guys in Vietnam write cool slogans on their helmets and flak jackets. Hell...walking around with no shirt on in jungle trousers, using a shotgun as a bong and getting back at Charlie looked cool as hell.

But sadly, it wasn't very professional and without context; it would be all to easy to look back and think "man, those guys were out of it".

People have years to parse and nitpick over what you do on one off day. No reason to give them extra ammo.

Just show up, put in time, go home.
Not hard.

I think you missed the point of this article:

"1. Recall that this is not a case about when private employers may restrict what their employees wear on the job, or even about when government employers may do so. Private employers have very broad power on this, because they aren’t bound by the First Amendment (though statutes in some states may constrain employers’ power to some extent). Government employers also have fairly broad power to restrict their employees’ on-the-job speech and behavior."

Pulled right from the article.

This isn't about what employers can limit you to its about the Gadsden Flag being equated to racism.

Firefly
08-05-16, 11:24
And it changes nothing.

Everything is racist to somebody and even if it isn't, they can still just say it is.

But why bring that to work with you?

Korgs130
08-05-16, 12:05
I always knew the U.S. Naval Academy was a racist institution :sarcasm:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160805/a61c3e4b55a99d39ce5927fccf43a639.jpg

26 Inf
08-05-16, 12:43
Korgs130 - was gonna post something snarky about not being able to back up 'Don't Tread On Me' but they actually kicked butt last season. Probably because they let all the guys opting Marines on the team.

Irish
08-05-16, 12:44
Will we have to take down the Navy Jack then?? Return the patches we were given??

It flies in front of my house everyday. My guess is that 99% of the population has no clue as to what it is.

http://navyseals.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Navy-Jack.jpg

chuckman
08-05-16, 13:16
It flies in front of my house everyday. My guess is that 99% of the population has no clue as to what it is.

Absolutely. I got a coffee mug after I was commissioned with this on one side and my name on the other. I love that mug. And no one outside the Navy has a clue (well, very few people).

OH58D
08-05-16, 13:28

My 17 year old son has this hanging in his bedroom, along with a Confederate flag, my old Cavalry guidon, the US Army Flag, the flag of his JROTC Battalion, and a replica of the flag for Company K, Harrison's 3rd Louisiana Cavalry (My wife's ancestors fought in that confederate unit). My son also has on display the framed certificate of my wife's grandfather bestowing the rank of Honorary Colonel in the State of Louisiana. My son is also a member of Sons of Confederate Veterans. My ranch house is just a total den of racism, I guess.....:(

Irish
08-05-16, 13:49
Absolutely. I got a coffee mug after I was commissioned with this on one side and my name on the other. I love that mug. And no one outside the Navy has a clue (well, very few people).
My wife thinks I'm a goof when I tell her it's on the "bow." :)

My 17 year old son has this hanging in his bedroom, along with a Confederate flag, my old Cavalry guidon, the US Army Flag, the flag of his JROTC Battalion, and a replica of the flag for Company K, Harrison's 3rd Louisiana Cavalry (My wife's ancestors fought in that confederate unit). My son also has on display the framed certificate of my wife's grandfather bestowing the rank of Honorary Colonel in the State of Louisiana. My son is also a member of Sons of Confederate Veterans. My ranch house is just a total den of racism, I guess.....:(
It sounds like he knows more about history than most people twice his age. Well done.

Firefly
08-05-16, 13:56
I will say people overplay the racism spiel way too much.

Every little thing is racist.

But I tell people, I can be plenty coarse. If I really wanted to be racist, your feelings would be destroyed. You would have to go to counseling for a year.

The baby Jesus would cry. The world would stop. It would be terrible.

Otherwise, I'm just saying what I'm feeling and eventually will get over it and life goes on. Everybody stsys friends.

People are too over-sensitive and feel like nothing can offemd them.

"Triggered" they claim.

And I say BS. Tons of things offend me everyday. Black kids showing their black asses because they are too goddamn stupid to pull up their pants or think its cool to emulate jailhouse Britneys who invite other men to go in their ass.

White folks being white trashy as hell. Don't feed their kids but always got money for Camel cigarettes and 24 pks of Keystone. Live in a double wide but have wi fi.

Mexicans/Guatemalans/Whatever who don't speak English, have no vaccinations,

can't read nor write, and take advantage of our bullshit lax immigration enforcement.

And Muslims who won't shut their suck about their phony, made up religion that was cooked up by a pervert and nomad who was high on hash like every goddamn day.

No. I just get up. Live my life and carry on. No time for it. Try to be decent to folks. Try to obey the non denominational Golden Rule. And if something/someone disgusts me, I just say "That is unfortunate. Oh well." and live my life.

Because I know who I like, know what is important to me personally, and really just don't see the need to get worked up over some BS cause of the week.

It makes life a lot easier. Mind over matter. I don't mind. It don't matter.

SteyrAUG
08-05-16, 13:59
Wow! Reading that article and the author's comments made me think about what I'd do in the situation as the employer.

As various scenarios came to mind it dawned on me that in not all cases the special snowflake that is complaining would also be a slug worker. So what would I do if my best designer, comes to me bitching about 'Joe' (an average designer) wearing a 'choose life' tee shirt. Choose life is my stance, but I'm not running a pregnancy counseling center, I'm running a design firm, or a machine shop, etc.

My solution as an employer would be either wear the company logo items I provide, or your own clothing devoid of all slogans, advertising or design. Advocate on your own time. Same rules apply to everyone.

See, this is why we can't have nice things.

That would work great until somebody complains about a NAACP or WJC pin. I would love to see any employer tell anyone that both of those are unacceptable in the workplace.

Firefly
08-05-16, 14:25
That would work great until somebody complains about a NAACP or WJC pin. I would love to see any employer tell anyone that both of those are unacceptable in the workplace.

Easily done.

No Political Campaigning, Religious Proselytizing, or Activist sloganeering on company campus nor company time.

chuckman
08-05-16, 14:36
Nine years ago I shared an office with several women. I had a Glock calendar on the wall, over my desk. I found out from one of the women that another would take the calendar down when I wasn't there, put it back up again before my shift. I confronted her, told her "don't touch my shit." She replied that she was offended and that it glorified guns. I said, no, every month had a cop, and it supports law enforcement, and asked her, therefore, if, she did not support law enforcement? She got pissed, went running to my boss. My boss thought it was funny. I went to HR, told them the whole thing, asked, "can she really make me take it down?" They said that the 'thing' which is offensive is subjective, so if she was offended, then she was offended. I said, OK, she (my coworker) is a dike, and has a picture of her and her "life partner" on her desk. That offends me, my Christian Amero-European values. Can I ask that she remove it? HR said, "yes." So I went back, ready to hunt bear. I told my boss, who told the lady's boss. It became a stalemate....she agreed to not touch my stuff, and I agreed to ignore her debauchery. It kinda fizzled out, and after a couple weeks my boss found a private office for me.

Lessons learned: that knife cuts BOTH ways, HR isn't always the enemy, and anything will offend everyone at any given moment. Now I am the point that if anyone states at me wrong I will tell them I am good to lawyer up, and that usually forces people to just leave me the hell alone.

ABNAK
08-05-16, 14:51
Nine years ago I shared an office with several women. I had a Glock calendar on the wall, over my desk. I found out from one of the women that another would take the calendar down when I wasn't there, put it back up again before my shift. I confronted her, told her "don't touch my shit." She replied that she was offended and that it glorified guns. I said, no, every month had a cop, and it supports law enforcement, and asked her, therefore, if, she did not support law enforcement? She got pissed, went running to my boss. My boss thought it was funny. I went to HR, told them the whole thing, asked, "can she really make me take it down?" They said that the 'thing' which is offensive is subjective, so if she was offended, then she was offended. I said, OK, she (my coworker) is a dike, and has a picture of her and her "life partner" on her desk. That offends me, my Christian Amero-European values. Can I ask that she remove it? HR said, "yes." So I went back, ready to hunt bear. I told my boss, who told the lady's boss. It became a stalemate....she agreed to not touch my stuff, and I agreed to ignore her debauchery. It kinda fizzled out, and after a couple weeks my boss found a private office for me.

Lessons learned: that knife cuts BOTH ways, HR isn't always the enemy, and anything will offend everyone at any given moment. Now I am the point that if anyone states at me wrong I will tell them I am good to lawyer up, and that usually forces people to just leave me the hell alone.

Except that in 2016 (you said it was 9 years ago) complaining that her dyke pic offended you would get you labeled as a bigot and homophobic hater and she would still win!

chuckman
08-05-16, 14:57
Except that in 2016 (you said it was 9 years ago) complaining that her dyke pic offended you would get you labeled as a bigot and homophobic hater and she would still win!

Maybe, but as much as I generally dislike HR ("The Evil Empire," the Gestapo of our organization), they are fair. There is an employee who wears a piece of medical tape on his scrubs, on it written "God saves," or something like that. Maybe it's "Jesus saves." Someone complained about that and I found out through my snitches that HR sanctioned it, just as they would someone who wore a cross necklace.

Maybe ol' Torquemada down at HR would nail me to the cross for my attitude today, but they seem to do so fairly across-the-board.

Firefly
08-05-16, 15:07
If I had a company, it would have nap areas, skateboard half pipes, grafitti on the walls, pizza everyday, Slayer or Goth EDM playing all day, and a dress code of "whatever you felt like that day".

Would it be a successful company? Probably not.

If you work in an office or something just do your 8 hours. I never understood the "self expressive" people. I keep work and home separate.

Nothing to hide, and nothing I'm ashamed of but my time is my time and their time is their time.

People get turned off by odd stuff. If you are trying to present a neutral atmosphere, displaying your hobbies can ruin it.

I'd rather people know as little about me as possible. I have enough friends and don't care for conversation starters.

If you want to know me, come back to my house. I'll happily show you my ultra cool, anti social redneck shit. Otherwise, I'm just a dude in the world doing things and making it happen.

That's where I leave it.

chuckman
08-05-16, 15:20
If you work in an office or something just do your 8 hours. I never understood the "self expressive" people. I keep work and home separate.

Yes. Definitely. I don't care to "look different" Then I would become noticed. I like being a gray man.

Skyyr
08-05-16, 15:25
If I had a company, it would have nap areas, skateboard half pipes, grafitti on the walls, pizza everyday, Slayer or Goth EDM playing all day, and a dress code of "whatever you felt like that day".

Nothing to hide, and nothing I'm ashamed of but my time is my time and their time is their time.

People get turned off by odd stuff. If you are trying to present a neutral atmosphere, displaying your hobbies can ruin it.

I'd rather people know as little about me as possible. I have enough friends and don't care for conversation starters.

If you want to know me, come back to my house. I'll happily show you my ultra cool, anti social redneck shit. Otherwise, I'm just a dude in the world doing things and making it happen.

That's where I leave it.

I work in an environment that has about 90% of that - no joke. Voted best place to work (in the city that its located) numerous years in a row. It works out quite well when you have a mutual level of understanding and respect. However, it's a delicate balance and culture fit for employees is huge.

Out of necessity, we're selective about who we hire. Most of the people here are progressive and left-leaning, but it's a great work environment due to that mutual respect and understanding.

Korgs130
08-05-16, 15:36
Korgs130 - was gonna post something snarky about not being able to back up 'Don't Tread On Me' but they actually kicked butt last season. Probably because they let all the guys opting Marines on the team.

You're right, they had a great season last year. They sure kicked the snot out of Air Force.

ABNAK
08-05-16, 17:50
I work in an environment that has about 90% of that - no joke. Voted best place to work (in the city that its located) numerous years in a row. It works out quite well when you have a mutual level of understanding and respect. However, it's a delicate balance and culture fit for employees is huge.

Out of necessity, we're selective about who we hire. Most of the people here are progressive and left-leaning, but it's a great work environment due to that mutual respect and understanding.

That's rather unusual because lefties aren't known for being particularly tolerant of others' views, although "tolerance" is their battle cry (of course that means their version of it).

Skyyr
08-05-16, 18:05
That's rather unusual because lefties aren't known for being particularly tolerant of others' views, although "tolerance" is their battle cry (of course that means their version of it).

It is very unusual, but I think that's because it's located in a right to hire/fire state, which puts a heavy emphasis on performance for employees. Coupled with a culture of teamwork, it tends to counter-balance the political atmosphere. At least, that's my take on it.

I've had some good political discussions, most of them being prompted by others asking me about my beliefs (I try to avoid most political discussions at work). Being a Libertarian, I'm just left of average-right enough that most of our discussions end in "I'll agree to disagree," or with "let's talk about this again later." There's always exceptions, but for the most part it's a very laid-back atmosphere.

I did manage to convert one left-leaning blue dog guy at work into a pro-gun Constitutionalist, through the course of several discussions over several months. When I met him, he only had two Fudd-type target guns and he was against black rifles. Now he has an arsenal large and expansive enough to rival some TV show gun rooms.

Straight Shooter
08-05-16, 18:43

About two years ago- I got a brand new T-shirt that had the Gadsden flag on the front pocket, and on the back, the quote from Thomas Jefferson saying " I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery". THE BLACKS WENT NUTS. I mean literally, they were furious. One black woman "axed" me " WHAT DO YO SHIRT MEAN"?! So, I calmly told her it was from a letter Jefferson wrote to Madison pre-Constitution, and they were discussing what type government they wanted, and he wrote this quote in Latin to Madison.
"Yeah...BUT WHAT DO YO SHIRT MEAN?!" ...would NOT listen to the explanation. So, little while later Im called into office. Got a white male boss, black woman supervisor sitting at their desks. She is givin me the stink eye. Told them the explanation, and said "Literally turn around in your seats, get on the computer..type in DANGEROUS FREEDOM...and the whole story will pop up and yall can see for yourselves."
Well, not good enough. "I don't know the meaning of it, and several people are upset, so you gotta change shirts or wear it inside out.".
I changed shirts. ALL they saw on that shirt was the word SLAVERY..no matter the context or meaning of it, a WHITE GUY has the word on his shirt.."HE RASSIST".
So- three times since Ive got payback when some sistas come with "BLACK GIRLS KNOW HOW TO PARTY" or some other tripe, Ive complained and they had to wear them inside out for the rest of the night. Ill do it everytime, fvck em, they want to play? Lets play.

Firefly
08-05-16, 19:06
About two years ago- I got a brand new T-shirt that had the Gasden flag on the front pocket, and on the back, the quote from Thomas Jefferson saying " I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery". THE BLACKS WENT NUTS. I mean literally, they were furious. One black woman "axed" me " WHAT DO YO SHIRT MEAN"?! So, I calmly told her it was from a letter Jefferson wrote to Madison pre-Constitution, and they were discussing what type government they wanted, and he wrote this quote in Latin to Madison.
"Yeah...BUT WHAT DO YO SHIRT MEAN?!" ...would NOT listen to the explanation. So, little while later Im called into office. Got a white male boss, black woman supervisor sitting at their desks. She is givin me the stink eye. Told them the explanation, and said "Literally turn around in your seats, get on the computer..type in DANGEROUS FREEDOM...and the whole story will pop up and yall can see for yourselves."
Well, not good enough. "I don't know the meaning of it, and several people are upset, so you gotta change shirts or wear it inside out.".
I changed shirts. ALL they saw on that shirt was the word SLAVERY..no matter the context or meaning of it, a WHITE GUY has the word on his shirt.."HE RASSIST".
So- three times since Ive got payback when some sistas come with "BLACK GIRLS KNOW HOW TO PARTY" or some other tripe, Ive complained and they had to wear them inside out for the rest of the night. Ill do it everytime, fvck em, they want to play? Lets play.

In all fairness, black girls really DO know how to party, just saying.

I wouldnt have even explained myself. I cant control other peoples feewings

ETA this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPmg_Mcbpdw

would probably watch at home

Averageman
08-05-16, 19:39
I have a baseball cap that looks like the Bonnie Blue Flag. All Bonnie Blue with a Large White Star.
The irony is whenever I wear it all I hear is "How 'bout them Cowboys!"
Geeze even when I try to be a d*ck it doesn't work out.

Firefly
08-05-16, 19:47
I have a baseball cap that looks like the Bonnie Blue Flag. All Bonnie Blue with a Large White Star.
The irony is whenever I wear it all I hear is "How 'bout them Cowboys!"
Geeze even when I try to be a d*ck it doesn't work out.

GO BACK TO SOMALIA, HEATHEN

:jester:

Jellybean
08-05-16, 20:11

That's where I leave it.

I take that approach too- I just don't tell people shit, because I have no interest or tolerance left for pointless "discussions".
But at the same time... It's *my* choice not to advertise.

I absolutely do not buy the whole "keep your head down and shuffle along lest you incur the wrath of the more equal animals" thought process. **** that.
That's how these leftists push all this horseshit down everyone's throats. They create an atmosphere of oppression through perception- make a big enough stink about a few random "socially insensitive" issues- like the "dangerous liberty" quote story above- and play on people's ignorance to propagate the false perception of this being morally wrong. And if whatever the socially insensitive issue of the day is can be construed into moral wrongness, then by default, the person doing the oh so unacceptable action must also be morally wrong to exist in a safe and "inclusive" society.
So this person, now aware of the social and personal stigma of potentially taking any sort of offensive action, or action that could be *deemed* offensive, begins to question everything they would otherwise do normally before they do it, lest they incur the wrath of the more equal animals.
Hello thought control, hello socially acceptable bullying, hello 1984. The leftists keep winning, because we LET them keep winning in our heads.
Hell, they won the "evil semi auto rifle" fight by giving it a perceived stigma to the point where the term "MSR" was coined.

Let's take this to the next logical step- so we get used to grey-manning out at work, just like we've gotten used grey-manning out to all the other unnecessary and unconstitutional intrusions on ordinary folks lives....

What do you do when the windows on your car get smashed out because you had an NRA sticker on your back window- if you're keeping tabs, you know they're being morally equated to ISIS after all... Good 'mericans hate ISIS, so technically I'm morally right to smash your windows out.

What do you do when you put your "racis" ball cap on after work, and get jumped in the local chain mart parking lot by some wonderfully tolerant and loving folk who feel the urgent need to include you in their weekly boot parade for social justice?

I can see the arguments here right now- "he shouldn't have been wearing that cap if he knew it could be offensive to our tolerant and diverse brethren".
Sure, and that girl should have worn a longer skirt so she wouldn't have gotten raped....

Do I need to go on?

[I][Firefly- this is not directed at you- I'm just using your post as a springboard to spew hate and discontent. :cool: ]

JoshNC
08-05-16, 20:15

That's where I leave it.

That company philosophy pretty much sums up all the Silicon Valley tech firms. Wear whatever you want. Free gourmet food, snacks and coffee. Movie theaters, Rec rooms, skateboard parks, gyms, bball courts. Set your own work hours. Do whatever you want during the day, so long as you get your work done.

Firefly
08-05-16, 20:27
That company philosophy pretty much sums up all the Silicon Valley tech firms. Wear whatever you want. Free gourmet food, snacks and coffee. Movie theaters, Rec rooms, skateboard parks, gyms, bball courts. Set your own work hours. Do whatever you want during the day, so long as you get your work done.

Oh I'm sure the environment is sound. I just don't have faith in myself as a CEO.

Averageman
08-05-16, 20:44
We are de-evolving.
The evolutionary chain from monkey to Man has had a turnabout. We through political correctness have been forced to let go of a polite society to embrace a changing culture of lies and violence.
You don't have to like my hat, but if I have to spend twenty minutes of my time explaining to you why you shouldn't like my hat, we're cool?
If you want to be ignorant and oppose the Gadsden Flag, a Flag that in all honesty supports the cause of racial equality in this day and age, then do so.
If your public school education requires me to explain it as in "How 'bout them Cowboys." while I wear the Confederate Colors, it is highly unlikely you will get the message.
I never made E-8, but I was one of those E-7's that served in that billet many times and for years until I retired. At least once a year I would have an EO complaint. I had no issue dealing with them, my paperwork and witnesses were straight, every damned time, I, my paperwork and witnesses were right and not because I abused the system.
The last time this happened the Battalion XO came up the steps of our company HQ's and walked directly in to my office to confront me about the charges.
My Black Wife was feeding our Son and sitting next to my desk as I finished my daily paperwork. I came to attention, saluted him and introduced my Wife.

Have you ever seen a Fish out of water? That thing they do where they don't quite understand where they are or why it is hard to breathe?
I don't have a lot of faith in people, I tend to look for an agenda, for the most part, I've been right.

Firefly
08-05-16, 21:21
lol I love that. That dawning moment of self indignation that brings people back down to planet Earth.

People trying to be all holier than thou.

Bleh. I have a few rebel flag shirts/caps and not once have I gotten a sideways glance from anybody. White black brown or otherwise. Mind you I am on my personal time.

And Averageman, I wasn't trying to chump out your Somali flag hat. You keep on being you, my man. :)

And ya know, it sounds weird but I think people give off auras. ya know?

Like I won't lie, on my time I can look pretty roughneck and whatnot, but yet most folks find me fairly approachable.

I realized pretty young that most things in life don't matter. Only a precious few things.

Or something like that

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-16, 03:27

Bravo!

This is what I have done for years now, flip that PC shit back on them.

Be offended by everything!

Benito
08-06-16, 06:44
Easily done.

No Political Campaigning, Religious Proselytizing, or Activist sloganeering on company campus nor company time.

Except when it comes to the Left. Everything they push is political, but done under the guise of being simply a given, natural order of things. Look, even diversity, equality, etc. are political. Hell, everything is political. Being opposed to slavery is/was political. Literally any position on human affairs is political. The Left does not shy away from pushing it and neither should we.

Yeah, exactly. Anyone who thinks that we're being held to the same standard is living in fantasy land.

I take that approach too- I just don't tell people shit, because I have no interest or tolerance left for pointless "discussions".

I absolutely do not buy the whole "keep your head down and shuffle along lest you incur the wrath of the more equal animals" thought process. **** that.
That's how these leftists push all this horseshit down everyone's throats. They create an atmosphere of oppression through perception- make a big enough stink about a few random "socially insensitive" issues- like the "dangerous liberty" quote story above- and play on people's ignorance to propagate the false perception of this being morally wrong. And if whatever the socially insensitive issue of the day is can be construed into moral wrongness, then by default, the person doing the oh so unacceptable action must also be morally wrong to exist in a safe and "inclusive" society.
So this person, now aware of the social and personal stigma of potentially taking any sort of offensive action, or action that could be *deemed* offensive, begins to question everything they would otherwise do normally before they do it, lest they incur the wrath of the more equal animals.
Hello thought control, hello socially acceptable bullying, hello 1984. The leftists keep winning, because we LET them keep winning in our heads.
Hell, they won the "evil semi auto rifle" fight by giving it a perceived stigma to the point where the term "MSR" was coined.

Let's take this to the next logical step- so we get used to grey-manning out at work, just like we've gotten used grey-manning out to all the other unnecessary and unconstitutional intrusions on ordinary folks lives....

What do you do when the windows on your car get smashed out because you had an NRA sticker on your back window- if you're keeping tabs, you know they're being morally equated to ISIS after all... Good 'mericans hate ISIS, so technically I'm morally right to smash your windows out.

What do you do when you put your "racis" ball cap on after work, and get jumped in the local chain mart parking lot by some wonderfully tolerant and loving folk who feel the urgent need to include you in their weekly boot parade for social justice?

I can see the arguments here right now- "he shouldn't have been wearing that cap if he knew it could be offensive to our tolerant and diverse brethren".
Sure, and that girl should have worn a longer skirt so she wouldn't have gotten raped....

Do I need to go on?

[I][Firefly- this is not directed at you- I'm just using your post as a springboard to spew hate and discontent. :cool: ]

Well said.

Bulletdog
08-06-16, 12:17

I agree with your whole post. I did the gray man thing for a lot of years, and sometimes still do, but I've realized that keeping quiet is what they want and it helps their cause. I don't go looking for trouble, but I won't shy away from a discussion at work, family gatherings or parties.

I run no bumper stickers of any kind on my car, but I do occasionally feel the need to rock the NRA hat and look people right in the eye while wearing it. No one has commented yet, except a few who had words or gestures of support.

Falar
08-06-16, 14:16
I agree with your whole post. I did the gray man thing for a lot of years, and sometimes still do, but I've realized that keeping quiet is what they want and it helps their cause. I don't go looking for trouble, but I won't shy away from a discussion at work, family gatherings or parties.

I run no bumper stickers of any kind on my car, but I do occasionally feel the need to rock the NRA hat and look people right in the eye while wearing it. No one has commented yet, except a few who had words or gestures of support.

I'm in the same boat. I believe in looking at everyone thoroughly while remaining as undetected as possible.

However, this massive PC-bullshit push and liberal media overload has pushed me over the edge. I took a job in California and moved there for a few years recently (big ****ing mistake; I fixed it and now I'm back albeit on a reduced income) and took every opportunity to wear annoying T-shirts that expressed freedom. My personal favorite was "**** y'all, I'm from Texas". I don't give 1% of a **** if they think I'm an ignorant redneck. THeir state ****ing sucks.

Benito
08-06-16, 16:17
The grey man thing is risky on an individual level, but on the other hand, toeing the line is why we are where we are.
The hard part is that for people living in metropolitan urban areas that have been flooded with diversity, it's extremely difficult to find anyone like-minded, making lots of people feel like they are the last sane men on Earth.
If it wasn't for the Internet, I'd think I was indeed the last one of my kind. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Firefly
08-06-16, 16:34
I dunno.

I believe that at work you just do your time and go home. If the job you are doing is becoming a thorn in your side and a pain in your ass, find a new one.

50 states in the union.

But on my time I do what I want.
I've hung with black folks wearing my rebel flag cap or a Slayer shirt that looks like I'm in the 4th Reich. I get around in some really salty used up, should've been DX'ed long ago prince purple faded cargo utility pants or jeans I've had since high school. I'm sure I'm on a people of Wal Mart page somewhere. Either that or old Adidas sweats and whatnot.

Unless I'm dressing up to impress chicks or hit up a high class place....I still dress like that weird, lost in time style most people get over time. It's still 1995 in my street clothes fashion.

Because I don't care. Because I'm on my personal time. Because I owe nobody any explanations. Because you wear your X and I'll wear mine.

If someone really wants to accost me physically because of whatever, then they can just get their ass whipped on an avoidable humbug they they ought not to have pursued.

I personally don't care for seeing kids with their asses hanging out of their pants like a cellblock queer, but I don't say nothing because I just tune it out.

I got 99 problems, y'know?

Outlander Systems
08-06-16, 18:24
Firefly,

You NEED to break out the Baja Hoodie.

Firefly
08-06-16, 18:29
Firefly,

You NEED to break out the Baja Hoodie.

When its not a million degrees outside, I will

Outlander Systems
08-06-16, 18:34
Good man.

When its not a million degrees outside, I will

Dienekes
08-06-16, 23:54
"And ya know, it sounds weird but I think people give off auras. ya know?"

Drove a white convertible in the local rodeo parade today for my blonde DIL who is running for city council. Made it a point to wear my neon yellow Gadsen cap; no complaints from the crowd here! About those "auras"--mine is similar to the skunk at a garden party most of the time. Which explains a lot.