PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT1911

rmecapn
10-12-06, 20:09
I saw one of these at my local dealer today. Very intriguing for the money. I only saw one thread over at 10-8 on it. Has anyone here had any experience with these?

Robb Jensen
10-12-06, 20:14
I shot 3 prototypes last year, they were cheaply built and one had a broken mainspring housing. And have had a couple of them come through our store recently. 1 went back, it looked like the front site was made using a Dremel.

-Wes-
10-13-06, 01:54
http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4213

I like Mr. Yost's post:)

Trumpet
10-20-06, 09:14
Yep, that cracked me up too. I figured I'd ask there and get a straight answer. I'll admit to having a bias against Taurus, but I was getting really tired of the "cheerleading" on so many other forums.

rmecapn
10-20-06, 11:32
I have become convinced that I get a much better value for my money with the Glock, XD, SIG, or SW M&P .45 ACP platforms than I do any 1911 platform. It costs way more than it's worth IMO to make the 1911 run as reliably and accurately as those other platforms listed. One may be able to make the 1911 a fine handgun, but at what expense? After over 30 years of hanging on to the 1911, Jeff Carpenter convinced me to look elsewhere. I am most glad I did. John Browning's design may not be an anachronism, but it's certainly been superceeded.

Turbo Supra
10-20-06, 14:57
I have become convinced that I get a much better value for my money with the Glock, XD, SIG, or SW M&P .45 ACP platforms than I do any 1911 platform. It costs way more than it's worth IMO to make the 1911 run as reliably and accurately as those other platforms listed. One may be able to make the 1911 a fine handgun, but at what expense? After over 30 years of hanging on to the 1911, Jeff Carpenter convinced me to look elsewhere. I am most glad I did. John Browning's design may not be an anachronism, but it's certainly been superceeded.Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt that way! I agree 100%. I have a Sig P220ST that runs circles around either of my 1911s. The Sig is 100% stock, and both 1911s have been tweaked numerous times. It always seems to me that one needs to spend upwards of $1500-$2000 on a high-end 1911 just to equal the performance and reliability of a well-used box-stock "other model" .45ACP.

I would chose my P220ST or my USPF45 any day of the week over either of my 1911s if my life depended on it...

mike240
10-20-06, 15:30
Its all realtive to what you need the weapon to do; how soon you need one and how much you have at the time to spend. The gun to have in the gunfight is the first one you can lay your hands on. If evil strikes while your still saving for an Ed Brown or other 3000 dollar custom, then you will wish you had the 500 dollar pistol...Small groups and fractions of minute of angle are great for matches, but usually "minute of asshole" is good enough. If you have a Glock, it will work now, save for a better 1911...Its easy for those of us with 2500 dollar AR15s to look down on $600 carbines. But chances are, we all started there too. Despite all that, we all buy "cheap" guns on occassion to check them out. I would have bought a Taurus too despite MIM internals except for the Series 80 safety crap.

Nitrox
10-20-06, 15:48
I don't know many people who bought a $1500 1911 for their first handgun.

The 1911 is just a range toy for me for the same reasons listed above.

K.L. Davis
10-20-06, 15:57
I was just talking with someone about this recently... I had packed a 1911 since the 80s -- even to the point that as a reserve police officer, I was "grandfathered" to carry a SAA on a department that did not allow them.

Having built a few hundred or so of them over the years, I put together a pretty nice 1911 for a duty gun about three years ago... I was sort of showing it around shops and ranges and ended up selling it -- the money that I got for it bought me 2 SA XDs (one regular, one long slide), a light for the long side, two holsters (vest and drop rig), 12 magazines and a 1000 rounds of 357Sig ammo...

...and I still had money left over :D simple math to me.

Now granted, in certain theaters we have to carry a NATO round and NSS weapon, but outside of those, I am fine with the "new fangled tupper guns" :p

blaster22
10-20-06, 16:40
Ditto most of the above. 1911 is a fine shooter, great game gun. When my life depends on it, I've always carried SIGs (revolvers in the old days).

-Wes-
10-21-06, 00:23
I was recently at the local police range bystanding while two Swat officers gave training to three cadets. They were all using their department issued G-22C's and I had my box stock Colt Gov Model.
The lead instructer told me, "I've never been a big fan of 1911's, they're more of a religion."

It's totally true. I even sell my friends on Glocks whenever they ask me what gun to get. Yet I'm still a faithfull practitioner of the 1911 religion.

rmecapn
10-21-06, 21:04
they're more of a religion.

Now that's an interesting and accurate analogy!

So, when Jeff convinced me that 9mm and Glock were the way to go (after 30 years of packing a 1911 in .45 ACP), it was like being born again!! ;) And the truth shall set you free!!! :D

-Wes-
10-22-06, 00:14
Hahaha. :D