PDA

View Full Version : Credit Unions

WillBrink
08-05-16, 10:23
With banks being such crap these days, there seems to be a move by some to credit unions. Being a supporter of space travel and NASA, I joined the NASA Credit Union. It's a federally backed CU that allows me in some small way to support NASA and its efforts to make us a truly space going species.

https://www.nasafcu.com/

I hear good things about the Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PENFED), unless you don't wanna support the military industrial complex :cool:

What do you use and or recommend for CU?

MegademiC
08-05-16, 10:35
I use a local credit union, definately the way to go. Just had this conversation yesterday with some people.

Can't recommend as I believe they are OH only.

WillBrink
08-05-16, 10:39
I use a local credit union, definately the way to go. Just had this conversation yesterday with some people.

Can't recommend as I believe they are OH only.

That's the issue, I wanted a national sized CU personally. They have banks and CUs you can use all over the country. My last bank was regional and my move out of the region meant I had to find a new bank, which was a PITA. This time, I wanted national coverage. I can go to the local CU and put in checks and use ATMs by a bunch of banks at no charge.

brickboy240
08-05-16, 11:08
I thought NASA's mission now was Muslim outreach?

LOL

chuckman
08-05-16, 11:09
My wife and I belong to the state employees credit union. I love those guys. Top notch in every way. I will never go back to traditional bank if I don't have to.

Falar
08-05-16, 11:14
I thought NASA's mission now was Muslim outreach?

LOL

No room in the budget for useful things like the advancement of technology when you have freebies to pass out.

nova3930
08-05-16, 11:17
I used Redstone, which is local, along with PENFED for loans until I found a small local bank that still does business like banks did a long time ago. It's a nice thing to have a small enough bank where they know you by name when you walk in the door...

Doc Safari
08-05-16, 11:20
Full disclosure: I haven't been a credit union member since the early 1980's. My experience was that they constantly made mistakes with my account (failing to post checks, deposits, math mistakes, etc.).

I'm not sure the cause of all the mistakes, but I eventually got disgusted with the credit union and gave up on it.

soulezoo
08-05-16, 11:37
Full disclosure: I haven't been a credit union member since the early 1980's. My experience was that they constantly made mistakes with my account (failing to post checks, deposits, math mistakes, etc.).

I'm not sure the cause of all the mistakes, but I eventually got disgusted with the credit union and gave up on it.
I got all that and more with Wells Fargo

Watrdawg
08-05-16, 11:38
I'm a local credit union member and we also provide the mortgage products for that CU. We are also members of State Employees Credit Union and they are pretty good also. Although their mortgage side leaves a lot to be desired. As far as national CU's are concerned Penfed and Navy FCU are about the biggest. Actually Navy Federal Credit Union is the largest CU in the world. The best thing about CU's is that they really take care of their members and they still maintain a small town bank type relationship with the members.

elephant
08-05-16, 13:44
I've been with a credit union since I was 18. They offer better interest rates than banks, my checking is .45% compared to Chase .021% and BOA .030% and they don't charge for anything except cashiers checks and money orders, I get free checks, free ATM, free withdrawals, and if you get a loan you choose the date to pay every month- as long as they get a payment between the 1st and 30th of each month. My credit union is small and they will call you and sing happy birthday to you on your birthday! New car loans start at 1.2%, used cars at 3.4%, 80% mortgages with reasonable credit are 2.8%-4.0%.

cbx
08-05-16, 13:58
I used Redstone, which is local, along with PENFED for loans until I found a small local bank that still does business like banks did a long time ago. It's a nice thing to have a small enough bank where they know you by name when you walk in the door...
They're getting hard to find. My bank was awesome till about five years ago. The kind of bank your talking about Nova.

They know your name. I bought a truck in 2000, they told me to write a check, and come in on Monday to do the loan paper work. Didn't believe in credit scores, only history. Bought my first house (conventional loan) in 3 days with them guys.

Now it's a joke. All the loan officers have to go before a committee just to wipe their asses. They gave me shit about cashing a large check earlier this year because it had two names on it.....it was even endorsed... (I had been doing the exact same thing for five years.....) told them to look up my start date on my first account......1987........ Yeah dickheads, I promise I'm not going anywhere ........fricking assholes.....

I haven't left only because I haven't found a better place to go yet.

tb-av
08-05-16, 19:04
Long time CU member. Local ( State )

223to45
08-05-16, 19:49
Never used a bank, always a CU.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Averageman
08-05-16, 20:06
I like to "Bank" locally. It doesn't matter if it is the local Bank or Credit Union.
The Bank is efficient and everyone has their stuff together, the Credit Union, again a local one; comes off as the Wal-Mart of somewhere to store your money.
The local one here in my town, pays better rates, but honestly, they would concern me if I had 100K in that place.

Don Robison
08-05-16, 20:31
I use Navy Federal CU for my business accounts and Eglin Federal for my personal accounts. Love both of them, have been a member of Eglin Federal since 92 and Navy Federal since 08.
Full disclosure my daughter is a branch manager for Navy Federal. Navy Federal is also the largest CU in the world.

dwhitehorne
08-05-16, 21:02
I've been a credit union member all my adult life. The USMC made me open a State Department FCU account when I was an Embassy guard (MSG). Once I got out I switched to another agency credit union and have been there ever since. Very happy with the CU. My brother in law has worked for multiple banks in his adult life because the banks keep folding and being bought out. He was without a job for over a year in his mid 50's because Citi bank bought his bank and closed it. I've had the same CU account number for almost 30 years and it makes it easy to remember. David

HKGuns
08-05-16, 21:23
I've used a credit union since the late 80's. Extremely happy with mine.