PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide on a .40 Cal.

BFIBri
09-03-08, 21:34
I posted for advice on another site and want a second opinion.

To give alittle background... My wife bought me a .40 cal. for my 40th birthday, a CZ75 compact in a .40 cal. :D but when I went to the range last weekend it jammed bad 2,3, or 4 times each magazine. (I have heard problems with that model after)

I was disappointed to say the least.... Decide to sell off the CZ and try again with another manufacture. Off to Cabelas!!

Cabealas has a Full size S&W M&P .40 for $500 then receive a $150 gift card or a Glock 23 for $550 and receive a $150 gift card.

What would you take..... Glock 23 or S&W M&P .40?

Thanks
Bri

Robb Jensen
09-03-08, 21:38
M&P hands down. Make DAMN sure it's not the shooter, the ammo or magazines. JAM is a strong word here. When I see it at the range or in training or competition, it's usually ammo, mags or lack of lube FWIW.

Oscar 319
09-03-08, 21:42
I own 3 Glock .40's (22, 23, 27). If I could do it all over again I would go with the M&P 40.....The M&P 40 was designed as a .40, where as the Glocks are the 9's adapted to .40 cal....My Glock 40's have been excellent performers, others have had problems.

Both are great pistols.

BFIBri
09-03-08, 21:58
M&P hands down. Make DAMN sure it's not the shooter, the ammo or magazines. JAM is a strong word here. When I see it at the range or in training or competition, it's usually ammo, mags or lack of lube FWIW.

I heard something like the extractor spring and main spring on the CZ .40 compact are the culprit for the malfuctions. ( I was using 2 differant ammo and 2 differant mags)

Bri

ST911
09-03-08, 21:59
Given a choice, I'd opt for 9mm over a .40.

If that's not an option, the G23 gets the nod.

SIGguy229
09-03-08, 22:12
No SIG??

Otherwise, M&P....

BB01
09-03-08, 22:53
In .40?...the M&P.

If it were me I would try sending it back to CZ first...CZ's are typically good shooters.

RogerinTPA
09-03-08, 23:19
I've owned a Glock 23 (1st Gen) since Nov 91. It's a great shooter and no failures what so ever. It just didn't fit my hand, felt uncomfortable as hell and learned to live with it.....until last month when I traded it in for the M&P.40. It has about 650 rounds fired so far and one of the most pleasant shooting .40's I've owned (I also have the PX4 Storm .40). It is the 3rd M&P that I own (9c, .40 and .45). When Todd gets his M&P9 special edition negotiated with S&W, that will be the 4th. IMHO, it's the best handgun series out there! ;)

MarshallDodge
09-03-08, 23:26
I have a CZ-75B in 40 and it's a great gun. Very accurate and runs like a champ. The only thing it doesn't like is lead semiwadcutters which my Sig does not like either.

If you must get rid of it then I personally like the M&P over the Glock. I like the way it fits my hand and is more accurate than the Glock.

maximus83
09-04-08, 01:29
In .40?...the M&P.

If it were me I would try sending it back to CZ first...CZ's are typically good shooters.

Amen. Every CZ I have owned has been brilliantly accurate, and reliable to boot. And CZ is usually great about working out any issues for you.

I wouldn't allow one initial negative experience to cause you to completely write off the pistol, unless you don't like it for other reasons. You can have issues like that with ANY new pistol, but it doesn't mean it's bad or not worth staying with it. For example, on BOTH of my new M&P's (bought within the past year), I had complete breakdown issues (broken strikers, plus a bad slide release on one). Yet S&W fixed the issues, and now both pistols are running great, and I'm glad I kept them. But I won't be giving up my CZ's either! ;)

Gutshot John
09-04-08, 08:34
I love Glocks but only in 9mm.

I'd personally go with the M&P for .40.

Paul45
09-04-08, 11:40
I have all the .40 Glocks, I love them but the M&P is a nice gun. Try the M&P, if it fits your have and style of shooting, give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always trade for a Glock. The shooting sport is about the fun you will have owning, shooting, trading, cleaning and talking guns.

senorlinc
09-04-08, 14:09
... any objective tester would tell you the M&P is more controllable in terms of recoil.

Much is made of the superior ergonomics of the M&P, but to a certain extent that's a red herring. If the Glock fits you and works the way you want it to, the ergos are just fine, aren't they? The ergonomic benefits of the M&P apply primarily to people who aren't comfortable with the standard Glock package.

The G23 is a smaller gun. You might want to consider a M&P40 Compact for a more equal comparison. Of course, the M&P Compact is smaller yet ... which can be a positive or a negative depending on what you want.

I agree with Todd G. im not the most experienced shooter nor do i currently own a .40 BUT i have owned a g23. was not very comfortable to shoot. i sold it after i put my little mitts on an m&p9c and shot it well....i have put a few hundred thru an m&p 40. to me, i was more comfortable with 9mm and it fit my needs for a carry gun. analyse your needs, go to the range and shoot both-then shoot some other guns. then decide

RallySoob
09-04-08, 14:18
HK USP was designed as a .40 cal and has proven to be one of the best. plus it's an HK! atleast take a look at one... there are other HK 40's that are nicer too

HK45
09-06-08, 10:42
I would easily, very easily, recommend the M&P. I've owned the Glock 23 and a small Glock .40 like that has very snappy recoil making it not alot of fun to shoot and difficult to shoot quickly and accurately. the M&P .40 is the smoothest, easiest to shoot .40 I have ever owned.

ccap74
09-06-08, 13:33
I have a G27 (sub-compact .40)that I bought in '02. Its a good pistol. Accurate, simple and easy to maintain. I also have a M&P.40 and LOVE it. I am still a better shot w/my glock but I have alot more practice with it. I am planning on getting the M&P.40compact soon... Lots of luck

Buck
09-06-08, 15:29
What would you take..... Glock 23 or S&W M&P .40?

Thanks
Bri

I would go with a Glock 35 and add Heine straight 8 slant pro night sights, a Vickers magazine release, and a Peirce grip plug... Combine it with an x300 and a Raven concealment with light holster...

Of all the 40s out there, I believe it is one of the best...

Just my .02

B

threefeathers
09-07-08, 13:10
Why not send the CZ back for servicing, they usually run as well as any other, mine sure do. I have a CZ75B that I loan to G I's on the plinking range at Ft. Huachuca and it has 10K rounds through it with few problems.

xray 99
09-07-08, 17:22
Go nine mm, young man.....

I (must) carry a G23 every day - previous service pistol was the G19. The G23 is something of a @#&%! to control, compared to the G19.

I will say that our G23s are proving reliable.

JHILDE
09-08-08, 07:10
You should also shoot the Springfield XD. I carry the 5" .40 Everyday and absolutely love it. It is the best shooting pistol I have ever owned. I like the 1911 style grip angle better than the Glock grip angle. I also have a S&W SW99 Compact in .40 that shoots well and IIRC is the predecessor to the M&P series. Just my $0.02

JHILDE