PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new production Colt AR15A4

Mrgunsngear
08-05-16, 22:49
http://i.imgur.com/JvnsWuQl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ufWcRP0l.jpg

So, viewer tells me he thinks Colt sent the wrong rifle that he just ordered. When he called the gun shop to ask to return it they opened the 6 remaining they had----4 had 1 in 9 barrels, 2 had 1 in 7 barrels.

I may not know everything about Colt rifles but I do know enough to be dangerous. HBAR 1 in 9'' A4s I've seen in the past have been 6600 models.

What say you guys?

dsk
08-05-16, 23:41
So, viewer tells me he thinks Colt sent the wrong rifle that he just ordered. When he called the gun shop to ask to return it they opened the 6 remaining they had----4 had 1 in 9 barrels, 2 had 1 in 7 barrels.

I may not know everything about Colt rifles but I do know enough to be dangerous. HBAR 1 in 9'' A4s I've seen in the past have been 6600 models.

What say you guys?

I contacted my rep at Colt about these when I saw a few on Gunbroker last month, and he told me some AR15A4s went out the door with mis-marked barrels. They should all be 1 in 7" with government-profile barrels, not HBAR. Have the guy look under the handguards on his and verify the barrel is government profile.

Dirknar
08-06-16, 00:00
Colt factory screw up, Cool! Is that like a flawed baseball card and worth more money?

wildcard600
08-06-16, 00:35
Gotta be worth 10k or more ! Get all of them and setup at the next gunshow !!!

Beat Trash
08-06-16, 09:24
Instant collector's edition, Bid's starting on GB at $9,995.95.

redmist
08-06-16, 10:24
Might be colt is dumping as many extra parts laying around as possible.

Get them in rifles, and ship them...

dsk
08-06-16, 10:54
I got excited as soon as I saw them, as I want an HBAR but I couldn't see them listed on Colt's website so I asked them. It's a good thing I did for I'd hate to have paid the inflated prices on Gunjoker only to find out its not really an HBAR. :mad:

Mrgunsngear
08-07-16, 20:54
Update from the owner----it's not actually an HBAR. It's just mis-marked.

Update from me----I called the gun shop he got it from and they had one more mis-marked one. I bought it :D

markm
08-07-16, 21:51
Like a miss strike coin from the mint. I'd snatch one up if I had the money and opportunity.

dsk
08-07-16, 21:53
Update from the owner----it's not actually an HBAR. It's just mis-marked.

Update from me----I called the gun shop he got it from and they had one more mis-marked one. I bought it :D

Thank you for helping to confirm what I was told. That being said, I'm surprised you found a gun shop that even had any of these rifles in stock. I finally gave up waiting for one to show up somewhere and spent my money on something else instead.

misfit47
08-08-16, 08:44
Colt collectors are going to love those.

dsk
08-08-16, 12:53
Don't count on it. Many years ago I found a 1960's Government Model .45 that had been mis-marked "Commander Model" on the slide. I thought it would enhance its value, but years later when I decided to sell it I had trouble finding a buyer, and in the end sold it at a slight loss. Unlike coins and stamps a mis-marked firearm isn't more valuable. Often it's less.

HeruMew
08-08-16, 14:26
Don't count on it. Many years ago I found a 1960's Government Model .45 that had been mis-marked "Commander Model" on the slide. I thought it would enhance its value, but years later when I decided to sell it I had trouble finding a buyer, and in the end sold it at a slight loss. Unlike coins and stamps a mis-marked firearm isn't more valuable. Often it's less.

Since you say Many years ago, was this before Gunbroker attracted every tacticool-wannabe on the interwebz who has a hole burning in their pocket?

I would be inclined to say this could go either way, but stay patient, and even those $1500 "custom operator grade" AR15s (that are DPMSs with "custom furniture" and a china ebay light) or "Tactical Response Glock" gets sold.

Only takes one dude with way to much money and a bit of time. Kinda like fishing, only you're waiting for the "Stoopid Fish".

All-in-all, I won't knock anyone for buying one though. I am akin to the whole "not-what-it's-labeled-as" or "factory-issue" items.

I just don't normally do the same for firearms. Haha.

sidewaysil80
08-08-16, 14:42
I wonder if these would be legal in Maryland...

Only HBAR Colts are allowed and State Police say if the barrel or receiver says HBAR from the factory, its good to go.

OrbitalE
08-08-16, 15:04
I wonder if these would be legal in Maryland...

Only HBAR Colts are allowed and State Police say if the barrel or receiver says HBAR from the factory, its good to go.

MD law is "marked or marketed" so it might fly, but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

Flankenstein
08-08-16, 15:16
Colt collectors are going to love those.

Never understood this. I almost bought an upper on TOS but passed because of the FUBAR marking (and I already have 2 complete A4s).

misfit47
08-08-16, 15:18
I've never understood some of them either. Their money, their choice.

BBossman
08-08-16, 16:01

I agree, they're more of an oddity than a collectible...

JusticeM4
08-08-16, 16:43
It would be cooler if it was really an HBAR and 1:7. If not, not so much. The M4A1 Socom is much cooler IMO

dsk
08-08-16, 18:58
Since you say Many years ago, was this before Gunbroker attracted every tacticool-wannabe on the interwebz who has a hole burning in their pocket?

It was in the early days of Gunbroker. I bought it locally and finally sold it online. But you never know, had I waited long enough I might have found that One Guy who just had to have a Colt Govermander. :rolleyes:

Mrgunsngear
08-16-16, 16:19
Here's a quick B Channel video with all the markings and whatnot of the rifle if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwrDaWW2yjg

dsk
08-16-16, 22:18
Colt would've had more of my hard-earned money if they had actually released another batch of these rifles in the past couple months. Instead I gave up waiting and bought something else. Hopefully the next time I have the funds to buy another rifle they will finally have some more of these out in the wild. I know 16" rifles are hugely popular right now, but geez get some more 20"ers out there guys!

thegreyman
10-17-17, 07:18
Saw some Colt AR15A4's with Carbine Receivers also?

Creature
10-17-17, 13:45
Colt factory screw up, Cool! Is that like a flawed baseball card and worth more money?

I have a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless manufacturered in 1928 that has a serial number that is interestingly mismatched. The receiver has serial number 888888 (not the actual serial number) while the slide is stamped 888889.

I should probably contact Colt and ask about that...

markm
10-17-17, 13:59
One offs, mistakes, factory oddities, etc. are certainly not a Colt rarity.

Sry0fcr
10-17-17, 14:10
Might be colt is dumping as many extra parts laying around as possible.

Get them in rifles, and ship them...

That's not the way an ISO 9001 certified facility works. The barrels may well have been mismarked, but someone had to make a decision to use the barrels anyway. The marking doesn't affect fit, form or function so probably an easy acceptance.

scottryan
10-17-17, 15:54
Colt botched the release of this gun., and continues to botch.

Carbine feedramps
Non F marked FSB
Incorrect barrel markings
CAR prefix serial number
Lightweight LE marked lowers
Blued handguard caps

In addition to the above, they also released this rifle to the market 10 years too late.

What it was suppose to be was a semi auto M16A4. There was demand for this during the second gulf war when these things were on TV. Instead Colt drug their ass and then released the gun with "features" that make it undesirable.

Animalhd1
10-17-17, 17:22
That's not the way an ISO 9001 certified facility works.

Unfortunately, a lot of times it is exactly how an ISO certified facility works. They clean their act up for recertification, then it’s back to business as usual.

Sry0fcr
10-18-17, 08:52
Unfortunately, a lot of times it is exactly how an ISO certified facility works. They clean their act up for recertification, then it’s back to business as usual.

That's not been my experience, you can tell pretty easily who has a functioning quality system.

R.B. (RABQSA/Exemplar Lead Auditor, ASQ Certified Quality Auditor, Certified Quality Process Analyst, Certified Quality Improvement Associate)

HD1911
10-18-17, 10:24

Carbine feedramps
Non F marked FSB
CAR prefix serial number

In addition to the above, they also released this rifle to the marked 10 years too late.

What it was suppose to be was a semi auto M16A4. There was demand for this during the second gulf war when these things were on TV. Instead Colt drug their ass and then released the gun with "features" that make it undesirable.

Color me shocked.... I would take the FN any day over this model.

556Cliff
10-18-17, 12:14

Carbine feedramps
Non F marked FSB
CAR prefix serial number

In addition to the above, they also released this rifle to the marked 10 years too late.

You forgot the blued instead of phosphated hanguard end caps.

556Cliff
10-18-17, 12:17
Color me shocked.... I would take the FN any day over this model.

The FN versions use an unknown aluminum for their receiver extensions.

glocke12
10-22-17, 02:36

Carbine feedramps
Non F marked FSB
CAR prefix serial number

Whats wrong with a CAR prefix?

mine has a non F marked sight base, and it doesn't seem to affect anything, than again Im only shooting out to 100 yards. Not sure if things would be different past that.

I was tempted by the FN, but the price difference was big enough for me that I stuck with Colt.

scottryan
10-22-17, 08:21
You forgot the blued instead of phosphated hanguard end caps.

Yeap. They also did this. They got some shitty hobby grade blued triangle handguard caps and installed them.

scottryan
10-22-17, 08:28
Whats wrong with a CAR prefix?

mine has a non F marked sight base, and it doesn't seem to affect anything, than again Im only shooting out to 100 yards. Not sure if things would be different past that.

I was tempted by the FN, but the price difference was big enough for me that I stuck with Colt.

Because the CAR prefix is for an 6720. All Colt did was change the roll marking on some of these so they don’t say “lightweight LE carbine”

They did the laziest, easiest, cheapest, path possible.

glocke12
10-22-17, 10:49
Because the CAR prefix is for an 6720. All Colt did was change the roll marking on some of these so they don’t say “lightweight LE carbine”

They did the laziest, easiest, cheapest, path possible.

Hmmm...didn't know that. When I was researching colt vs Fn a year or so ago most things I read said get colt and if I recall correctly there was some dissent over FNs incorrect FCG markings.

Still a nice rifle though. The blued end cap thing is weird though. Maybe at the time that's all they could get

scottryan
10-24-17, 09:44
I still would not buy the FN over the Colt. It is a lesser consumer grade rifle.

Outlander Systems
10-24-17, 09:56
Tell me more about the FN's shortcomings...

It is a lesser consumer grade rifle.

HD1911
10-24-17, 10:10
I still would not buy the FN over the Colt. It is a lesser consumer grade rifle.

I'm all ears... How so?

I've personally ran the FN M16 (whatever they call the consumer version) and it was a true pleasure to run and shoot. Used it in a shoot house and all the way out to 400y and everything inbetween, and it ran like a top and was very accurate and precise. The fit and finish was perfect.

I've handled too many Colts that frankly, were embarrassing, QC wise, that should've never made it onto the LGS shelves. And yes, I did own a 6920 with a FDE Mk18 FSP rail that was one heckuva carbine. But I still wouldn't own another 6920 by choice.