PDA

View Full Version : Chipping/flaking Cerakote

jrcii
08-05-16, 23:28
I posted this in the custom build section but wasn't getting much interest so I'll try here :)

I bought a Geissele MK8 rail, and the place I bought it from did a small modification to the anti-rotation tabs, and had it sent off to be Cerakoted. It came back and they called me today saying that on the rail, there was a small defect (I'm just glad it wasn't my NFA engraved lower that was messed up ). They have offered to either modify a replacement rail and send it out for coating, or to give me a pretty sizable refund on this rail.

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to have the information I need to make a decision. If it's small enough, especially if it can be hidden under a light mount or something, I'd likely just take the refund. But, I'm concerned that having a spot on there will sort of provide a 'key' for further chipping or flaking from that area. I think it's likely that normal wear and tear would cause more problems then they would otherwise.

Am I right o be concerned about this? What would you do?

Thanks,

JRC

Kdubya
08-05-16, 23:59
With the refund you'll get to keep the rail? If so, how close would the refund come to covering the cost of purchasing the exact same set-up out of your own pocket (coating, mod, etc included)? The "defect" is with the coating, not the structure of the rail, correct?

It would be a no-brainer for me if the answers were Yes, Yes, and Yes.

If it's nothing that necessarily effects the overall construction/strength/function, and is largely cosmetic, I'd take that refund deal. Especially if the amount would mostly cover the expense of a "do-over". What would you have to lose? Even if it is cosmetic, and once you see it you just can't deal with it, I'm sure you could find someone to sell it to that can live with the blemish.

Again, this is predicated upon some assumptions I'm making based upon the way you described the defect and potential long term "issue".

wildcard600
08-06-16, 00:20
If the refund was substantial i would take it and just run the rail. My stuff gets banged up anyway.

bighawk
08-06-16, 01:56
Did you pay extra for it to be cerakoted? If you did and want it to be perfect have them recoat it and pay for it to be done on their dime. If you dont care much or its a fairly small blemish who cares.. Take the refund and use the rail. Chances are you'll probably put a bigger blemish in the finish the first time you toss it in a bag with another gun and take it to the range anyways.

jrcii
08-06-16, 09:06
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I did pay extra for the cerakote treatment. I'm heading in today to see what sort of deal they offer me. They're going to have to offer me the entire cost of the cerakoting and some of the original cost of the rail before I'll take it. If it's really small and is in a location that can be hidden under a light mount, grip, or DBAL, then I'll be much more inclined to keep it.

I generally despise the 'tacticool' mindset. But, I have to admit that I want this rifle to be perfect. This is going to be my first SBR and I'm building it exactly like I want it. Having said that if the deal is good I'll be willing to compromise :)

JRC.

Iraqgunz
08-11-16, 04:16
Because it doesn't meet the criteria for that forum.

I posted this in the custom build section but wasn't getting much interest so I'll try here :)

I bought a Geissele MK8 rail, and the place I bought it from did a small modification to the anti-rotation tabs, and had it sent off to be Cerakoted. It came back and they called me today saying that on the rail, there was a small defect (I'm just glad it wasn't my NFA engraved lower that was messed up ). They have offered to either modify a replacement rail and send it out for coating, or to give me a pretty sizable refund on this rail.

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to have the information I need to make a decision. If it's small enough, especially if it can be hidden under a light mount or something, I'd likely just take the refund. But, I'm concerned that having a spot on there will sort of provide a 'key' for further chipping or flaking from that area. I think it's likely that normal wear and tear would cause more problems then they would otherwise.

Am I right o be concerned about this? What would you do?

Thanks,

JRC