PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka Defense Harris Bipod Pic rail adapter review

markm
08-06-16, 16:33
Arisaka has once again come up with a simple and elegant piece that will replace the sub optimal sling swivel mount contraption on a Harris Bi Pod.

Replace this:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/DSCN31661_zpsdf8jyx2d.jpg

With this:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/DSCN31671_zpsvmcpen7o.jpg

markm
08-06-16, 16:39
Install is straight forward. I scanned the instructions and then just jumped in.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/DSCN31691_zpssv1dpuhl.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/DSCN31681_zpseeoe6bym.jpg

The adapter has nice flats milled into it that act as cant limiters.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/DSCN31701_zps0bdm54eo.jpg

End result is that you take a limited application pod and get it useful like this: :cool:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/DSCN31711_zpseklejjng.jpg

P2000
08-06-16, 16:57
That is awesome. And you get rid of the picatinny to harris adapter. I imagine it saves at least 1-2oz of weight.

If they make one for key mod I'm in.

markm
08-06-16, 17:13
This is actually Pappabear's pod. You do get rid of a lot of silly weight and parts.

user737425
08-06-16, 17:52
I've been looking for something like this. Do you have a link? I don't see it on there website.

markm
08-06-16, 19:24
I've been looking for something like this. Do you have a link? I don't see it on there website.

I have a pre-production piece. Hopefully Slippers will chime in with availability info.

Pappabear
08-06-16, 20:26
I had an extra large / long bipod I used for hunting. So we are going to use it for Coyote AR hunting. Arisaka makes some sweet light weight pieces and parts.

SeriousStudent
08-06-16, 23:03
Very cool, that adapter makes a ton of sense.

I have a Harris bipod on the shelf, that I did not use because of the mount. I'll definitely snag one when they come to market.

Thanks for the review!

Fatorangecat
08-07-16, 11:24
That's perfect. Hope these don't take too long to get up for sale.

TF82
08-07-16, 11:54
Well that looks good. Do you think it will work with pod locks and the various copies?

Slippers
08-07-16, 13:07
Well that looks good. Do you think it will work with pod locks and the various copies?

Works fine with pod locks since it doesn't alter the geometry or length of thread that protrudes out the back of the bipod.

Should be on our site tomorrow. I'll post some photos with a pod lock later if I have free time. Busy weekend with family!

Edit: also works with the Caldwell clone, but I'll have to double check my notes from when I tested half a dozen of the fakes. Some of the others have different length or size main shafts and screws.

Koshinn
08-07-16, 13:10
I was just about to buy a larue. I'm glad I waited!

TommyG
08-07-16, 13:15
Yes, please. Very nicely done.

Slippers
08-07-16, 16:48
With pod lock:

http://i.imgur.com/K3W3ORg.jpg

Pappabear
08-07-16, 21:19
Will, go ahead and make a pad lock if you wish. I have several Atlas bipods and like them, but I still use Harris on my hunting rigs. Nice work Will.

Novak
08-07-16, 23:21
Wow. This appears to be a game changer. Bravo, Arisaka!

Vandal
08-08-16, 00:10
Damn, I like that. I picked up my first Harris and instantly thought there had to be a better way then the sling swivel mount.

rainman
08-08-16, 06:59
Outstanding. :cool:

As others have said, Arisaka makes great product.

-Rainman

jbdesigns
08-08-16, 09:17
Nice. Finally a better way to mount a Harris bipod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nova3930
08-08-16, 10:46
Oooh, that's nifty. My coyote rifle needs a better bipod mount. :D

user737425
08-08-16, 11:33
Works fine with pod locks since it doesn't alter the geometry or length of thread that protrudes out the back of the bipod.

Should be on our site tomorrow. I'll post some photos with a pod lock later if I have free time. Busy weekend with family!

Edit: also works with the Caldwell clone, but I'll have to double check my notes from when I tested half a dozen of the fakes. Some of the others have different length or size main shafts and screws.

Damn, I had it in my cart and tried to check out and it was sold out already!

David Dyke
08-08-16, 12:10
I don't see the rail adaptor on the Arisaka web site. Is it up and I'm missing it?

Slippers
08-08-16, 13:57
Damn, I had it in my cart and tried to check out and it was sold out already!

They aren't sold out. Had a minor blip where it went live for a few minutes. Sorry. :)

I'm tidying up the instructions page and doing a little editing. Should be up this afternoon.

Koshinn
08-08-16, 14:32
They aren't sold out. Had a minor blip where it went live for a few minutes. Sorry. :)

I'm tidying up the instructions page and doing a little editing. Should be up this afternoon.

It's afternoon now, are they up?

Slippers
08-08-16, 14:47
Soon!

Here's a comparison shot of a sling swivel adapter plus stock mount versus our mount:

http://i.imgur.com/Vy6Stz0.jpg

Slippers
08-08-16, 15:29
Annnnd they're up: http://arisakadefense.com/products/low-profile-bipod-mount

Don't forget the discount code "m4c". :)

http://i.imgur.com/d2toRN5.jpg

David Dyke
08-08-16, 16:12
Thanks Will. I placed my order, however I couldn't get your above referenced discount code to work. Please advise.
Again thanks.
David

Slippers
08-08-16, 16:18
Thanks Will. I placed my order, however I couldn't get your above referenced discount code to work. Please advise.
Again thanks.
David

Are you sure? I just went through the checkout process and entered it for 10% off. I will manually adjust your order, so no worries either way.

Koshinn
08-08-16, 17:14
Will there be a M-Lok and Key-mod variant of this?

Discount code works for me.

Slippers
08-08-16, 19:50
Will there be a M-Lok and Key-mod variant of this?

Discount code works for me.

We certainly can do keymod and m-lok direct mount versions, but it would have to be designed a little different because there needs to be enough clearance to access the fasteners with an Allen wrench. The mount would be a little longer, basically.

The nice thing about the Picatinny version is that it's one screw to come off. Keymod and m-lok would be at least two screws, if not three to be safe.

drtywk
08-08-16, 19:53
We certainly can do keymod and m-lok direct mount versions, but it would have to be designed a little different because there needs to be enough clearance to access the fasteners with an Allen wrench. The mount would be a little longer, basically.

The nice thing about the Picatinny version is that it's one screw to come off. Keymod and m-lok would be at least two screws, if not three to be safe.

M-Lok please!

Koshinn
08-08-16, 20:51

But if I have a keymod or m-lok rail, then I'd need 2 screws for the adapter. So yeah, a keymod and/or m-lok would be great!

Slippers
08-08-16, 21:06
But if I have a keymod or m-lok rail, then I'd need 2 screws for the adapter. So yeah, a keymod and/or m-lok would be great!

Presumably you'd use one of our low profile picatinny rails with 3 fasteners and leave it on the handguard. :)

Fatorangecat
08-08-16, 21:17
Mlok direct mount would be cool.

markm
08-08-16, 21:58
http://i.imgur.com/d2toRN5.jpg

That takes so much nonsense out of the Harris pod. I've never had the patience for all the parts on the standard bi pod. Now I can, common sense, reach up and tension the pod with the only remaining thumb screw (or pod lock) on the piece.

user737425
08-09-16, 00:05

Just ordered, thanks.

K1tt3n5
08-09-16, 00:34

Key mod for Harris please. I'll gladly be a tester :)

556BlackRifle
08-09-16, 01:43
Nicely done Will.

voiceofreason
08-09-16, 06:34
VERY low profile. About as low as you can get.

Ariska makes great quality stuff.

CCK
08-09-16, 08:41
So for a magpul hunter stock, would I use a swivel stud screwed into stock and Harris as is? Or this and an mlok pic section? Or would I use an upcoming mlok version of this?

Slippers
08-09-16, 08:43
So for a magpul hunter stock, would I use a swivel stud screwed into stock and Harris as is? Or this and an mlok pic section? Or would I use an upcoming mlok version of this?

You could use any of those options.

Koshinn
08-09-16, 09:05

when a mlok version comes out, you'd likely save weight using that. as is, I don't know if you'd save weight with a pic rail adapter + this or just using the swivel stud screwed into the stock and regular harris. but you'd save money.

Slippers
08-09-16, 10:23
when a mlok version comes out, you'd likely save weight using that. as is, I don't know if you'd save weight with a pic rail adapter + this or just using the swivel stud screwed into the stock and regular harris. but you'd save money.

You'd save weight. The sling swivel mount is ~2.8 oz. Our low profile mount + low profile picatinny rail for m-lok is ~1.6 oz.

Fatorangecat
08-09-16, 10:34
If you were to release an Mlok version of this how long would it take to develop and bring out?

TexasAggie2005
08-09-16, 11:00
removed foot from mouth

Vandal
08-09-16, 11:25
Key mod for Harris please. I'll gladly be a tester :)

Me too. I'm using a PWS keymod adapter for the Harris on my Ruger Precision Rifle. A direct fit would only be better.

Slippers
08-09-16, 11:35
Not to step on Slippers toes, as he makes awesome stuff for sure.

But for those looking for a MLOK Harris mount, Magpul already makes one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/317940/magpul-m-lok-bipod-mount-aluminum-black

That is for the stock sling swivel mount. The people in this thread requesting a Harris mount for m-lok want something like our low profile Harris mount but instead of a picatinny clamp it would have m-lok fasteners. It replaces the entire Harris sling swivel clamp mechanism.

TexasAggie2005
08-09-16, 11:37
That is for the stock sling swivel mount. The people in this thread requesting a Harris mount for m-lok want something like our low profile Harris mount but instead of a picatinny clamp it would have m-lok fasteners. It replaces the entire Harris sling swivel clamp mechanism.

And, correct you are. I edited my post.

Slippers
08-09-16, 11:39
And, correct you are. I edited my post.

No worries. :)

dreamcrusher8307
08-09-16, 12:52
Another awesome product. Loving my flashlight mount. Order placed shortly.

TF82
08-12-16, 07:47
I will definitely be buying this at some point. I'm really glad to see that it's similar in price to your other mounts as well. It also fits really well into your product line that makes things lighter and tighter without changing function.

user737425
08-13-16, 22:00
Just got it in the mail. I definitely never plan on using the bipod swivel stud again. Not really a big deal, but on my S25C the bipod legs at the base scrape the sides of the mount when folding them.

tinythief
08-13-16, 23:03

What about working with Kinect development to make a cross between your pic mount and http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguard-amp-rail-accessories/accessory-rails/kinect-mlok-single-3slot-picatinny-rail-section-sku100018020-80623-168645.aspx?gdffi=06c704a58a054b638babf83ebee5e383&gdfms=1718D8BD259C4B21AA63118EF67C51B8&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-IR-_-59979&utm_content=59979&aid=27795&utm_source=ir&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_medium=affiliate&source=ir

masakari
08-16-16, 16:48
So I really like this idea, but I currently swap my one bipod back and forth between two rifles - one with a 1913 rail, the other an MLOK rail. I'm fine with getting a small 1913 piece for my MLOK rail (I like that Kinect one) but would still require the actual 1913 bipod mount to be QD so that I could still swap between rifles.
Any chance of that?

Fatorangecat
08-26-16, 15:44
So can we expect an Mlok version of this anytime soon?

TommyG
08-27-16, 12:28
Got mine this week. Installed with a Pod Loc and am loving it.

Slippers
08-27-16, 13:54
So I really like this idea, but I currently swap my one bipod back and forth between two rifles - one with a 1913 rail, the other an MLOK rail. I'm fine with getting a small 1913 piece for my MLOK rail (I like that Kinect one) but would still require the actual 1913 bipod mount to be QD so that I could still swap between rifles.
Any chance of that?

So can we expect an Mlok version of this anytime soon?

I'm more inclined to do a QD picatinny version before M-Lok. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, doing an M-Lok or KeyMod direct mount poses an issue because you have to be able to access the screws. The mount would have to stretch a couple inches further to the rear to clear pod lock levers.

rainman
08-27-16, 21:28
I'm more inclined to do a QD picatinny version before M-Lok. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, doing an M-Lok or KeyMod direct mount poses an issue because you have to be able to access the screws. The mount would have to stretch a couple inches further to the rear to clear pod lock levers.

I would be for a couple of those.

Got the current (bolt on) version installed today. Nice piece of kit, as I've come to expect from you Will!

-Rainman

Novak
08-27-16, 21:56

A Picatinny QD would be GREAT if it's feasible.

user737425
08-28-16, 00:09

Another vote for a QD picatinny version.

Pappabear
08-28-16, 15:04
Yea, I'm a fan of QD.

TF82
08-29-16, 09:52
Yeah, if QD is a possibility than I'll hold out for that. There's a lot of QD stuff out there, like VFGs that I don't get, but for a bipod I'm coming to believe that I would love that option.

Warg
08-29-16, 11:06

Really like the mount, but would be awesome with QD. Right now I'm using your adaptor in conjunction with the B&T BT43 QD mount (http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/accessories/103-bt43-leveraged-rail.html), but this is not ideal as it add about an inch to the folded bipod.

markm
08-29-16, 12:01
QD is nice. But I never take my POD off of my Rem 700. It's non QD, pic rail all the way.

Warg
08-29-16, 14:13
QD is nice. But I never take my POD off of my Rem 700. It's non QD, pic rail all the way.

I hear you, but my issue is that I have more guns than bipods and all of this crap occupies a lot of space in my rifle cases, safes and bags.

user737425
08-30-16, 09:53
I hear you, but my issue is that I have more guns than bipods and all of this crap occupies a lot of space in my rifle cases, safes and bags.

Same here, I have Harris 12"-25" bipod that I have to take off when storing/transporting my rifle.

63Qcode
09-01-16, 08:30
Just finished putting it on my BCM REECE 16 and it works like a charm. Great quality and service ... took all of 5 minutes to make the change . However , as Warg points out , I have more than one rifle I would like to change the bipod to .... a QD sure would be nice .

TommyG
09-01-16, 13:56
QD would be a lot heavier. I am liking how compact and light it makes the bipod. It does not take that much to spin the bolt out and slide it off the rail.

Warg
09-02-16, 11:33
QD would be a lot heavier. I am liking how compact and light it makes the bipod. It does not take that much to spin the bolt out and slide it off the rail.

A lot heavier? It the QD fastener was milled directly into the bipod adapter it could easily be less than an ounce heavier than the current design. The Altas BT43 adapter I mentioned above is only 2.4 oz.

No- it doesn't take much to remove the bolt, but it's another Allen key/tool one must bring when shooting multiple rifles. This is the principal reason I use the Atlas bipods with QD, but I've two already and don't want to spend $250 for another when the Arisaka & Harris option could be had for far less.

TF82
09-21-16, 09:14
I just wanted to give this a bump and ask, what are the realistic chances of Arisaka making a QD version?

Slippers
09-21-16, 12:53
I just wanted to give this a bump and ask, what are the realistic chances of Arisaka making a QD version?

Very good chance. :) Sorry, no ETA. We have a ton of other stuff on the machines or waiting to be machined.

TF82
09-24-16, 19:54
Awesome. I can wait, just wanted to know if I should. Thanks.

user737425
04-26-17, 00:32
Are there still plans to make a QD version?

Slippers
04-26-17, 07:22
Are there still plans to make a QD version?

Yes. Sorry, no ETA at this time.