PDA

View Full Version : Retro Inspired rifle project.

Circle_10
08-08-16, 06:42
So my C8 build is on hold currently because I now have three retro/retro inspired projects going at once and I'm just going to wait and send out all three barrels to have the FSBs attached at the same time rather than separately and have to pay shipping three different times (I'm a cheapskate), and I still need to get the third barrel. Two of the barrels will be getting pinned muzzle devices as well. Those two aspects of the builds - attaching FSBs and pinning flash hiders - are a bit beyond my current skill level. Everything else I intend to do myself.

So the second build is going to be this retro inspired rifle. Currently nothing is holding the upper half together but here is more or less how it will look eventually.
http://i.imgur.com/h7dicd8.jpg
3 prong flash hider, 18" FN chrome lined, CHF gov't profile barrel. Non-F FSB, A1 handguards, flat slip ring...you get the idea.
The Magpul trigger guard has since been swapped for a standard one. It is an A2 lower but I'm just going to roll with that for now.

Renegade04
08-08-16, 08:41
That should look pretty cool when you get it done. I have seen a couple others done similar to that one.

Circle_10
08-08-16, 16:19
That should look pretty cool when you get it done. I have seen a couple others done similar to that one.

I've seen pics of a couple 18" A2 style rifles but no A1s. In order to determine how I'd feel about this particular "look" I took a couple pics of Colt Model 606s and altered them in Microsoft Paint to have shorter barrels, thus creating a decent photographic facsimile of what I wanted to build. Looked neat enough for me to proceed.

GRA556
08-08-16, 20:35
I've seen pics of a couple 18" A2 style rifles but no A1s. In order to determine how I'd feel about this particular "look" I took a couple pics of Colt Model 606s and altered them in Microsoft Paint to have shorter barrels, thus creating a decent photographic facsimile of what I wanted to build. Looked neat enough for me to proceed.

I'm thinking of doing an A2 using an 18" .223 WYLDE SS barrel using an A2 FSGB. Kind of unconventional but with the regular A2 bird cage flash hider or a Spikes shorty I can get a little longer barrel in SS but the full rifle length sight distance. Kind of like a stretch Dissipator.

What are Yall's opinions please ... ???

six-n-twins
08-20-16, 06:58
Beautiful!

GRA556
08-20-16, 19:57
So my C8 build is on hold currently because I now have three retro/retro inspired projects going at once and I'm just going to wait and send out all three barrels to have the FSBs attached at the same time rather than separately and have to pay shipping three different times (I'm a cheapskate), and I still need to get the third barrel. Two of the barrels will be getting pinned muzzle devices as well. Those two aspects of the builds - attaching FSBs and pinning flash hiders - are a bit beyond my current skill level. Everything else I intend to do myself.

So the second build is going to be this retro inspired rifle. Currently nothing is holding the upper half together but here is more or less how it will look eventually.
http://i.imgur.com/h7dicd8.jpg
3 prong flash hider, 18" FN chrome lined, CHF gov't profile barrel. Non-F FSB, A1 handguards, flat slip ring...you get the idea.
The Magpul trigger guard has since been swapped for a standard one. It is an A2 lower but I'm just going to roll with that for now.

Nice gun. Good job !!!

Circle_10
08-20-16, 20:36
Thanks guys, but don't congratulate me yet, it's technically still just an incomplete bunch of pieces. But I agree it ought to look kinda neat when it's finished. Not quite the A1 rifle or the 605 carbine clone I had in mind initially but this idea just sort of appealed to me.

GRA556
08-20-16, 21:57
Thanks for the update. I'm right behind you with and 18" build in addition to the GAU5/5A and the M16A1 clones I'm doing.

At my age I need the rifle length sight picture when using irons. I got an SS 18" bbl. on sale so I thought why not just screw it on to a DPMS A2 upper and see what happens?

Please keep us informed on the progress of your build.

Circle_10
08-21-16, 06:44
Thanks for the update. I'm right behind you with and 18" build in addition to the GAU5/5A and the M16A1 clones I'm doing.

Cool, I've got sort of a GUU-5/P in the works as well, in fact that one may end up being the first one I finish.
Why the GUU? Because apparently the only rule is that there are no rules, so my example is going to have an A1 upper and the M4 barrel, which is one of the configurations I've seen pics of, so there is a precedent for that arrangement at least.

GRA556
08-21-16, 07:02
Cool, I've got sort of a GUU-5/P in the works as well, in fact that one may end up being the first one I finish.
Why the GUU? Because apparently the only rule is that there are no rules, so my example is going to have an A1 upper and the M4 barrel, which is one of the configurations I've seen pics of, so there is a precedent for that arrangement at least.

This is true. The USAF recycles parts all the time. I know they were doing this back in the 80(s) when I was in and I would not be surprised to learn that nothing has changed much.

One thing I remember very well is the use of the single heat shield and double heat shield hand guards on the carbines, as well as the moderators. It's almost like no 2 were alike. Only E-5(s) and above had them.

Circle_10
08-21-16, 17:58
This is true. The USAF recycles parts all the time. I know they were doing this back in the 80(s) when I was in and I would not be surprised to learn that nothing has changed much.

One thing I remember very well is the use of the single heat shield and double heat shield hand guards on the carbines, as well as the moderators. It's almost like no 2 were alike. Only E-5(s) and above had them.

Yeah the GUUs were apparently really inconsistent. Slick side, A1, and even A2 uppers, pencil or M4 style barrels, anything goes.
I'm no USAF expert and basically picked the GUU for a build because of the apparent ease of getting it "right" rather than any particular connection to the Air Force. My grandfather served in the USAF in North Africa, where he enjoyed his meals of camel meat and warm beer, but that was long before the GUU or even the AR period.

GRA556
08-21-16, 22:10

This is the 18" SS A2 build I'm referring to. How do Y'all think this would turn out with an A2 stock?:cool:

Circle_10
08-22-16, 01:07

This is the 18" SS A2 build I'm referring to. How do Y'all think this would turn out with an A2 stock?:cool:

Looks more like 16" barrel to me....either way I think a fixed stock would look good on it.

misfit47
08-25-16, 09:47
That's a 16" dissipator. It'd look even better with an A1 stock.

Renegade04
08-25-16, 11:34

With a mix of the A1, A2, and A4, I think that an A1 stock would look best, but an A2 would be better than the CAR stock on it now. BTW, that does really look like a 16" barrel. Compare it to the 15" barrel on my Model 605.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20605/016_zps4rpuiyjx.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20605/016_zps4rpuiyjx.jpg.html)

GRA556
08-25-16, 12:03
I've got an A4-based Dissipator using the 16" barrel and it appears the SS barrel in the photo is just a bit longer. I may be wrong. Regardless, the barrel I have now is an 18" SS in .223 Wylde with a 1-7" twist. I have a new DPMS A2 upper that I want to use for the build with a Colt "CSR" lower.

As for the stock I have the following options: A1-D stock (an old and worn original that I will be refinishing soon), a new A2 stock, and of course a Magpul STR stock. I plan on using all black furniture.

The A1 stocks fit me better as I have a smaller frame however my shooting is not adversely affected when firing A2 stocks, or other stocks. To be honest, I'm tempted to just finish out the A1-D stock and see how that works.

I do agree that a full stock looks better on weapons with 18"+ barrel and Dissipators.

Although the carbines in any configuration nowadays are most popular, my eyesight at my age greatly benefits from the full rifle-length sight picture and this is what I will shoot most with excepting the GAU-5/5A commemorative SBR I'm doing to commemorate my retirement. I don't personally expect much precise accuracy at more than 100 yards with my eyes firing through irons or an Armson OEG on the SBR.

The 16" Dissipator I have uses either a Magpul flip-up sight or a Aimpoint PRO. I have an A1-E stock on this and it's a very comfortable and sweet shooter.

From now on I will most likely use the AR15 and AR10 platforms limited to the full rifle-length sight distance, or at least a carbine 16" barrel. I seem to do pretty good still with a 20" barrel using iron sights.

Det-Sog
08-28-16, 15:13
very cool!