PDA

View Full Version : Machine guns old vs new.

elephant
08-08-16, 17:28
I was wanting to know if there was any real difference between the modern heavy machine guns and the pre to mid industrial revolution Maxim machine guns. Other than the obvious, I'm not talking in general but more on simplicity,efficiency, engineering, dependability and usage. I know they didn't have auto CAD during WW1 or even Vietnam but it seems that the older water cooled machine guns were just as effective as the newer M60s except having to carry around a canteen. The reason I am asking is if you were contracted to build a machine gun yourself from scratch, how would you design it? Design it to get the job done or to be 100% accurate, lightweight and easy to use?

mack7.62
08-08-16, 18:24
You do realize the Maxim gun weighted 60 lbs and had a crew of 4 vs the M60 at 23 lbs and a crew of 2 apples vs oranges. Not that a properly emplaced Maxim could not be effective today but a lot more effort to move and set up. Designing a new MG is not a simple task, sometimes the old is better, they have been trying to replace the Ma Duce for something like 60 years, the M240 is a very reliable weapon just heavy for humping. IMO the next big improvement on MG's will be ammo driven, look up LSAT, once reliable caseless or telescoped cartridges are available newer lighter guns will follow.

MegademiC
08-08-16, 20:41
If I were designing one, from scratch, and logistics and cost were no issue:

7mm intermediate
Long rod piston ak style operating system
Stellite line bore
Recoil inline with the stock
Select fire
Rail on top
18" barrel
Open bolt
Striker fired, like a bolt gun
Belt and mag fed like the 249.
Finned barrel
Reciprocating handle at an angle (45 degree?) On top so it's out of the way, but out of line of sight.